Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:16 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1368 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Re: Need advice for second attempt- GMAT 560 Q51 V15 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
gauravbhatia wrote:
Dear members

Gave GMAT last saturday and my score was highly disappointing.

I need advice for improving Verbal in my second attempt and how long should I take for preparing verbal.

My GMAT Prep mock scores were as follows -
1) 640 Q49 V 28
2) 610 Q 49 V 24

Need help in selecting the right course, I have purchased SC from E Gmat 1 month before exam but was not able to complete it, now want to make best use of it.

Regards

Hi gauravbhatia,

Your mock CAT scores and the GMAT scores all point towards a lack on understanding the concepts in the Verbal part.
Before your next GMAT, you should thoroughly go through all the fundamentals and finish the course that you have purchased.

Also, apart from the SC part, you need to master the CR and the RC questions too to get a good score.
If you wish, you can have a free trial of our course and see if this suits you.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi gauravbhatia,

Before I can offer any advice, I'd like to know more about your studies and timeline/goals:

1) How long have you been studying?
2) What materials have you been using during your studies?
3) When you took your CATs, did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?

4) On the Official GMAT, did you have to rush to finish the Verbal section?

5) What is your goal score?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi gauravbhatia,

Before I can offer any advice, I'd like to know more about your studies and timeline/goals:

1) How long have you been studying?
2) What materials have you been using during your studies?
3) When you took your CATs, did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?

4) On the Official GMAT, did you have to rush to finish the Verbal section?

5) What is your goal score?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

Rich

Thanks
1) I studied around 2 hours a day for 2 months before, I didnt prepared much for quant just gave a revision to all the basic concepts.
2) I had done MGMAT SC earlier but couldnt revise it before exam, didnt studied any special book for RC & CR but read through some notes which were available for download in GMAT club.
3)I did IR during Mock but didnt do Essay.
4) I had to rush a lot in finishing Verbal section, I also believe that I need to increase my reading speed and m trying to work on that using the tips from internet.
5) My goal score is above 700.
6) Have planned to apply for B-Schools in 2016.

Regards
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi gauravbhatia,

The extra information you've provided is helpful; it points out some of the things that you can improve on during this next round of studies.

1) Many Test Takers study for 3 months (or more) before they hit their 'peak' scores, so it's likely that you just have not put in enough time and effort yet.
2) You didn't take your CATs in a realistic way - skipping sections makes the CAT shorter/easier than what you will face on Test Day. You trained yourself for a different experience than what you faced on the Official GMAT, so when you faced the FULL GMAT your performance suffered. If your CATs differed from Test Day in OTHER ways, then the score difference can increase even more.
3) You did not appear to have much of an overall study plan and you were not using a consistent set of resources.

Thankfully, the GMAT is a predictable, standardized Test, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. Given your score goal, you'll need to improve 140+ points (and all of those points will have to come from the Verbal section - you won't be able to get your Quant score any higher). You'll probably want to invest in a Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led).

When you stated that you planned to apply to Business Schools in 2016, does that mean that you're planning to apply for Round 2 in December/January or that you're planning to apply NEXT fall?

Rich
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts