Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:13 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Need some advice about R1 deposit + R2 Options, which one to go ahead with for Tech-Goals (PM/TPM)

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [1]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 772 [1]
Given Kudos: 97
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [1]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Need some advice about R1 deposit + R2 Options [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Congrats on your admits!

I agree in terms of your choices. Foster, Tepper and McComb‘s would be the most likely candidates. Austin has a lot of tech concentrated there. It used to be a second tier with limited limited options but that’s no longer the case. Obviously foster has been doing well with tech recruiting which is hard to do poorly when you are in Microsoft and Amazon‘s backyard. Tepper actually asked to work for it’s money and it also has solid tech recruiting numbers as mentioned by u1983.

Nice thing about McComb’s and Foster is that you don’t have to move when you graduate. Not a huge deal but you’re staying local with your Alma matter what provides a good connection. That helps build up the alum community.

PS. Having a good strong brand name on your resume will be super helpful during recruiting. It will help you stand out among your classmates.

As to R2, I think you’ve had pretty good success in round one so why not aim higher. Keep in mind, scholarships become more scarce as you climb the rankings ladder. Financing can be a challenge and most likely, You will have to put a deposit for one of your round one schools before you hear from your round two applications. Just keep that in mind.

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Send PM
Regenerate wrote:
Congratulations! These are some solid choices.

First, what are your net costs (after scholarship, room and board, etc.) for each school?

Second, with your solid undergraduate record and career achievements, don't be too quick to assume those schools are a stretch. The multiple scholarship offers emphasize this point.

Regenerate Thank you so much for your response :)

As of now,
Tuition Fee after Scholarship :
Foster : 33000$
Tepper : 90000$
McCombs : 83000$
Marshall : 77000$
Kenan-Flagler : 70000$

I haven't checked the exact living expenses but I guess these will be considerably higher at Marshall (LA) as compared to others.
Between Foster and Tepper, Seattle will definitely be more expensive than Pittsburgh but I doubt the difference would be close to 60K$.

I'm also mailing the schools to check if any of them would reconsider the scholarships (McCombs in particular).

Thanks again :) Trying my best for R2.
Current Student
Send PM
u1983 wrote:
Congratulations EvilGenius1208 on the multiple admit!!

All the programs are very good. Saying that my vote goes to Tepper ( I might be a little bit biased :D, but Tepper is definitely a huge name in Tech). Saying that I second Regenerate , you have a nice profile and should apply for the top programs.

All the best.

Thank you so much u1983. Yes I agree, Tepper is great for Tech. I even found the community and the current students to be really helpful and supporting.
I'll definitely try my best for R2. Thanks again ! :)
Current Student
Send PM
bb wrote:
Congrats on your admits!

I agree in terms of your choices. Foster, Tepper and McComb‘s would be the most likely candidates. Austin has a lot of tech concentrated there. It used to be a second tier with limited limited options but that’s no longer the case. Obviously foster has been doing well with tech recruiting which is hard to do poorly when you are in Microsoft and Amazon‘s backyard. Tepper actually asked to work for it’s money and it also has solid tech recruiting numbers as mentioned by u1983.

Nice thing about McComb’s and Foster is that you don’t have to move when you graduate. Not a huge deal but you’re staying local with your Alma matter what provides a good connection. That helps build up the alum community.

PS. Having a good strong brand name on your resume will be super helpful during recruiting. It will help you stand out among your classmates.

As to R2, I think you’ve had pretty good success in round one so why not aim higher. Keep in mind, scholarships become more scarce as you climb the rankings ladder. Financing can be a challenge and most likely, You will have to put a deposit for one of your round one schools before you hear from your round two applications. Just keep that in mind.

Thank you so much bb. :) :)
I completely agree with you. McCombs is indeed doing well in tech (I've even heard some major firms (read about Oracle and HP) are moving from Silicon Valley to Texas (Austin and Houston if I remember correctly). To top that, Austin is a great place to live in but that being said, I am a bit biased towards Seattle (have worked there, loved the city) and Tepper (a bit because of the brand and CMU).

As to R2,Yes I am completely aware of the fact that scholarships would be more scarce in R2 and would definitely choose an R2 school over $$ if I do manage to get into any of these (Ross/Sloan/Haas are at the next level in Tech).
I was wondering if I can add any schools to the R2 list (Stern has been doing well in Tech with all the major tech firms in NYC). Also researching about Cornell and Kellogg (More PMM/Brand Management roles than PM/TPM).
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [1]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Need some advice about R1 deposit + R2 Options [#permalink]
Kudos
EvilGenius1208 wrote:
Regenerate wrote:

First, what are your net costs (after scholarship, room and board, etc.) for each school?

Second, with your solid undergraduate record and career achievements, don't be too quick to assume those schools are a stretch. The multiple scholarship offers emphasize this point.

As of now,

I haven't checked the exact living expenses but I guess these will be considerably higher at Marshall (LA) as compared to others.
Between Foster and Tepper, Seattle will definitely be more expensive than Pittsburgh but I doubt the difference would be close to 60K$.

I'm also mailing the schools to check if any of them would reconsider the scholarships (McCombs in particular).

I think you're right about room and board costs ... you should look into this and redo the analysis below to make sure you're really getting a handle on your all-in costs ...

Before considering R&B, Tepper is the most expensive, and so we'll drive the analysis off of that:
McCombs is 8% less than Tepper
Marshall is 14% less than Tepper
Kenan-Flagler is 22% less than Tepper
Foster is 63% less than Tepper

... realize that these % will change (maybe quite a bit) after considering R&B ...

If you're interested in more help, please make your best guess on the costs of R&B at each school for you and I'll extend this a bit further.

In the interim, I think that, if your professional goals were mine ... and because I'm feeling a little risk-averse at the moment ... I'd go to Foster without thinking too hard. None of the schools are THAT much higher / lower ranked than the others (per the GMATClub ranking (see a link below for details), these five schools are in the following order ... McCombs #17 / Foster #18 / Marshall #19 / Tepper #21 / Kenan-Flagler #23).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 502 [2]
Given Kudos: 250
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
WE:Marketing (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Based on this information and your goals, I think you can remove Marshall and KF from your list. It's between Tepper and Foster, with McCombs an excellent third option.

All three have a strong Tech recruiting program, and with Foster and McCombs, you get the location advantage as well, which is nice both when you're recruiting and once you start working. For that reason, McCombs could even be your second choice after Foster.

Looking at your R1 performance, my three suggestions for you:
  • Use the Foster offer to renegotiate scholarships at both Tepper and McCombs.
  • If neither of the two matches/trumps Foster's offer, then put the deposit at Foster.
  • Apply in R2. You have a good profile, and people (like me) get into their stretch schools all the time. For Tech, you've already picked all the right schools. I didn't see Tuck, and I would highly recommend including that in your consideration. If you need any help with your Haas, Ross, or UCLA applications, feel free to DM me.

EvilGenius1208 wrote:
Regenerate wrote:

As of now,

Current Student
Send PM
variantguy wrote:
Based on this information and your goals, I think you can remove Marshall and KF from your list. It's between Tepper and Foster, with McCombs an excellent third option.

All three have a strong Tech recruiting program, and with Foster and McCombs, you get the location advantage as well, which is nice both when you're recruiting and once you start working. For that reason, McCombs could even be your second choice after Foster.

Looking at your R1 performance, my three suggestions for you:
[*] Use the Foster offer to renegotiate scholarships at both Tepper and McCombs.
[*] If neither of the two matches/trumps Foster's offer, then put the deposit at Foster.
[*] Apply in R2. You have a good profile, and people (like me) get into their stretch schools all the time. For Tech, you've already picked all the right schools. I didn't see Tuck, and I would highly recommend including that in your consideration. If you need any help with your Haas, Ross, or UCLA applications, feel free to DM me.

EvilGenius1208 wrote:
Regenerate wrote:

As of now,

Thank you so much variantguy and congratulations on the great performance in R1. You have some wonderful admits.
I'm applying to Ross, Anderson, Haas, Stern, and Tuck (I missed mentioning it, applying :) ) in R2. (just realized I will have to retake my TOEFL for Haas. My TOEFL score just expired and their website clearly states in bold "No waivers will be granted" :cry: S Wondering if I should still try emailing them :roll: ).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 502 [1]
Given Kudos: 250
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
WE:Marketing (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks EvilGenius1208! Those are all great programs; good luck with your applications and hope you are able to add more options to your kitty! ;)

As for TOEFL - All UC schools are pretty strict about it, but no harm in checking with the Haas AdCom. I can tell you that the entire Admissions team is on a break and will resume office from Jan 5. They told us to expect a delay in response. So, if the R2 deadlines are round the corner, my advice would be to just take TOEFL anyway. I'm guessing since you've already taken it once, it shouldn't be a problem for you.

Cheers, and let me know if you need any help with your R2 apps.

EvilGenius1208 wrote:
Thank you so much variantguy and congratulations on the great performance in R1. You have some wonderful admits.
I'm applying to Ross, Anderson, Haas, Stern, and Tuck (I missed mentioning it, applying :) ) in R2. (just realized I will have to retake my TOEFL for Haas. My TOEFL score just expired and their website clearly states in bold "No waivers will be granted" :cry: S Wondering if I should still try emailing them :roll: ).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thank you so much bb variantguy Regenerate u1983 for some valuable suggestions.
I attended the Welcome Weekend for both McCombs and Foster.
I wish I could attend for Tepper too but they have theirs in April.
Tepper did up their $ though, (60K$ now), McCombs didn't.
Putting in the deposit at Foster for now and waiting for the results from R2.
Thank you once again :)
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [1]
Given Kudos: 18869
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Awesome! Congrats! Good luck with R2’s!!!

GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts