GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 03:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

NEW FORMAT GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.25
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
Re: NEW FORMAT GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2018, 11:09
HKD1710 wrote:
Hero8888 wrote:
Hey guys,

Here are my results of 2 mock tests. I don't understand the paradox: in attempt with lower result all 1-20 are correct (theoretically having higher impact). The ratio of correct/incorrect answers is almost the same in both attempts, differing in 1 incorrect answer only. Please see attached files.

Any thoughts?

I see that you have 6 consecutive questions wrong in the middle of the test and then also in the end, which brings your score down badly. But the questions marked wrong in the second CAT are well distributed. and those that you marked consecutive wrong in the very end kept you below V40.

Marking questions correct in the start is very beneficial and after that we need to attempt the rest of the test in such a way that we do not mark so many questions wrong in a row.

So, do you agree that the best strategy is to:

1. Spend extra time/efforts to answer first 10 correct
2. Speed up on 11-31 questions, even if doing so makes the accuracy lower
3. If you have to skip several questions to keep up with time, you have to do so in different parts of your test, to avoid line of incorrect answers, hence all RC should be approached, living us only with SC and CR that can be skipped.

I know that the best way is to solve everything. But the above scenario is for test takers who struggle with time management.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2018, 22:01
Hero8888

Are both the test from GMAT Prep ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.25
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2018, 05:12
teaserbae wrote:
Hero8888

Are both the test from GMAT Prep ?

Yep, both are GMAT Prep, and both are taken within 4 days.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 23:03
Guys,

Can anyone analyse the situation wherein one gets 50% questions correct for Verbal?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
NEW FORMAT GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 02 Sep 2018, 23:32
Thank you for the effort

Originally posted by AdityaHongunti on 03 Aug 2018, 05:57.
Last edited by AdityaHongunti on 02 Sep 2018, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2018, 08:44
sandman13 wrote:
mcelroytutoring, I've got the mix below in my last 5 GMAT Prep tests:

#SC #CR #RC
14 9 13
13 9 14
13 9 13
13 9 14
14 9 13

I got this mix for my GMAT Prep 2 test (missed 1 qn on quant):

#PS #DS #SC #CR #RC
17 13 15 7 14

5 Kudos left to unlock next level. Help me by Contributing one for cause :) .. Please

Manick9

If you found my post helpful, kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2018, 19:53
Any attempts on the myth of skipping questions on verbal? I read that skipping the last questions (up to 4) in verbal insead of guessing might be a better idea (what if you get 3 very easy questions wrong because of guessing vs just skipping them alltogether?)

I think thats a what if worth doing as there are many people strrugling to finish verbal (i have difficulties to finish the section and usually rush or guess the last 4)

I also heard that if you answer the last X questions under Y minutes, the software detects that you are guessing and penalizes you for not managing your time. Is that true?

Thanks for the great content!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 680 Q41 V41
GPA: 3.9

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2018, 21:06
Cimet2018 wrote:
Any attempts on the myth of skipping questions on verbal? I read that skipping the last questions (up to 4) in verbal insead of guessing might be a better idea (what if you get 3 very easy questions wrong because of guessing vs just skipping them alltogether?)

I think thats a what if worth doing as there are many people strrugling to finish verbal (i have difficulties to finish the section and usually rush or guess the last 4)

I also heard that if you answer the last X questions under Y minutes, the software detects that you are guessing and penalizes you for not managing your time. Is that true?

Interesting interpretation. I always thought skipping questions was equivalent to answering them incorrectly. Can someone verify?
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2018, 06:13
Top Contributor
wanderingmba wrote:
Cimet2018 wrote:

Interesting interpretation. I always thought skipping questions was equivalent to answering them incorrectly. Can someone verify?

You can't "skip" a question on the GMAT. You either get it right or wrong (you have to answer a question in order to move on to the next one), or you run out of time and are forced to omit questions at the end. Despite your suspicions, it appears from previous GMATPrep studies that the opposite is actually true: leaving questions unanswered is even worse than getting them wrong!

The GMAC is very clear that there is a "significant" penalty for not finishing all questions in a section, so if we take GMAC at its word, then it's actually better to answer (some/most/all?) questions at the end of the GMAT incorrectly, than it is to leave them unanswered.

Source: OG 2019

That being said, I don't necessarily always trust the GMAC at its word, so I welcome seeing this hypothesis tested experimentally using the new online tests.

-Brian

Harvard grad and 99% GMAT scorer, offering expert, private GMAT tutoring and coaching, both in-person (San Diego, CA, USA) and online worldwide, since 2002.

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V (1 question wrong).

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y94hlarr Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

GMAT Action Plan and Free E-Book - McElroy Tutoring

Contact: mcelroy@post.harvard.edu (I do not respond to PMs on GMAT Club.)

...or find me on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/GMATpreparation

Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 07:45

PS vs. DS Question Importance - First Post Updated

Scenario 6: Weight & Importance of DS questions

Experiment: We will try to analyze the weight and importance of DS vs PS in terms of final Quant Score
Methodology: Answer the first 10 questions correctly and then miss all DS questions, while answering PS correctly.

Result: Score - Q50. Percentile - 86th. First 10 questions CORRECT and then missed 10 DS while answering 11 PS questions correctly.
Total Score: every question in the verbal section was answered as "B" this time and it resulted in the final score of V6, 0 percentile. Total score: 460 (19th percentile).
Questions: 18PS and 13DS.

Scenario 7: Weight & Importance of PS questions

Experiment: We will try to analyze the weight and importance of DS vs PS.
Methodology: Answer the first 10 questions correctly and then miss all PS questions, while answering DS correctly.

Result: Score - Q49. Percentile - 75th. First 10 questions CORRECT and then missed 11 PS while answering 10 DS questions correctly.
Total Score: every question in the verbal section was answered as "D" this time and it resulted in the final score of V8, 1 percentile. Total score: 460 (19th percentile).

Conclusion: It seems there is no or little difference in terms of weight that GMAC places on the DS vs. PS questions. Both Scenarios resulted into a very close score: Q50 with 10 DS wrong and Q49 with 11 PS wrong.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 10:23
bb do these scenarios work in GMATCLUB tests?

I wanted to try out all the scenarios in quant the last 10 questions wrong scenario did not work. So is the gmatclub test algorithm set otherwise?

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 10:42
bb wrote:

PS vs. DS Question Importance - First Post Updated

Scenario 6: Weight & Importance of DS questions

Experiment: We will try to analyze the weight and importance of DS vs PS in terms of final Quant Score
Methodology: Answer the first 10 questions correctly and then miss all DS questions, while answering PS correctly.

Result: Score - Q50. Percentile - 86th. First 10 questions CORRECT and then missed 10 DS while answering 11 PS questions correctly.
Total Score: every question in the verbal section was answered as "B" this time and it resulted in the final score of V6, 0 percentile. Total score: 460 (19th percentile).

Scenario 7: Weight & Importance of PS questions

Experiment: We will try to analyze the weight and importance of DS vs PS.
Methodology: Answer the first 10 questions correctly and then miss all PS questions, while answering DS correctly.

Result: Score - Q49. Percentile - 75th. First 10 questions CORRECT and then missed 11 PS while answering 10 DS questions correctly.
Total Score: every question in the verbal section was answered as "D" this time and it resulted in the final score of V8, 1 percentile. Total score: 460 (19th percentile).

Conclusion: It seems there is no or little difference in terms of weight that GMAC places on the DS vs. PS questions. Both Scenarios resulted into a very close score: Q50 with 10 DS wrong and Q49 with 11 PS wrong.

An astounding hack, Sir! It means you can ignore all DS after Q10, which must represent a saving of approx twenty minutes. With that much extra time, you could nearly guarantee 100% correct in PS.

This is a hell of a hack in the prep software. I am at the edge of my seat to know if this works on the official test!

Courtesy of the GMAT Dojo, in Amsterdam
http://www.gmat.amsterdam

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 10:47
First off, hats off for doing all this stress testing, on your own dime, and then sharing! However there is only one of two possible consequences to be derived from your experiments.

The likely conclusion is that this is a flaw in the GMATprep software. Because if not, then they've granted us about twenty minutes of extra thinking time, just by guessing our way through every DS question after question #10. Since timing is at least one of the, if not the, most important hurdles on a standardized test, this means Pearson have allowed a terrifically gaping wide black hole of a hack to their algorithm. And given the standard warning in the Guide, I must say they would have to be terrific fools to do so.

I wonder whether there is anyone out there willing to drop 250usd to find out.

I wonder if it will be me!

Courtesy of the GMAT Dojo, in Amsterdam
http://www.gmat.amsterdam

Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 12:04
AdityaHongunti wrote:
bb do these scenarios work in GMATCLUB tests?

I wanted to try out all the scenarios in quant the last 10 questions wrong scenario did not work. So is the gmatclub test algorithm set otherwise?

Hi. Every Test prep company algorithm is different from the official GMAT and so GMAT Club Tests algorithm is different because nobody knows the GMAT algorithm.

GMAT Club Tests will punish you for trying to sneak things through - we have multiple control mechanisms to prevent people from getting funky scores without doing work.... which makes me think that if we did something like that, why GMAC did not?

Founder of GMAT Club

Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 30 Aug 2018, 12:09
OmerPelman wrote:
First off, hats off for doing all this stress testing, on your own dime, and then sharing! However there is only one of two possible consequences to be derived from your experiments.

The likely conclusion is that this is a flaw in the GMATprep software. Because if not, then they've granted us about twenty minutes of extra thinking time, just by guessing our way through every DS question after question #10. Since timing is at least one of the, if not the, most important hurdles on a standardized test, this means Pearson have allowed a terrifically gaping wide black hole of a hack to their algorithm. And given the standard warning in the Guide, I must say they would have to be terrific fools to do so.

I wonder whether there is anyone out there willing to drop 250usd to find out.

I wonder if it will be me!

That would be great! :thumbup:

I don't think we have had anyone who has done it and reported back. The only case I know of is this user who did it in Verbal: http://gmatclub.com/forum/600-to-740-al ... 47029.html but I definitely welcome any experiementation on the real GMAT. Someone dug out a piece from a GMAC presentation that specifically stated that the ONLINE GMAT Prep was using the same algorithm as the official GMAT test. (This was NOT the case with the old GMAT Prep Sofware that used a simplified algorithm). However, I am not 100% sure that that's exactly the case. Would be great to test out. It will require solving all PS questions correctly.

P.S. You can look at the first scenario and choose a few other scenarios as potential option to verify - there are verbal ones too.

-BB

Founder of GMAT Club

Originally posted by bb on 30 Aug 2018, 12:06.
Last edited by bb on 30 Aug 2018, 12:09, edited 1 time in total.
PS
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
WE: Advertising (Advertising and PR)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2018, 05:42
Hi,

thank you Souvik and Bunuel! request you to carry out another simulation to know the weightage of CR

If you find my post useful, please give me a kudos.

Thank you.
Regards,
ENEM

If you wish to spend wisely on your gmat prep material, check my post titled: How to Spend Money On GMAT Material Wisely, link: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-buy-gmat-material-wisely-tag-free-gmat-resources-236174.html

Simple and handy template for CR: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-and-handy-template-for-cr-242255.html

simple template for more vs greater and fewer vs less: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-template-for-more-vs-greater-and-fewer-vs-less-242216.html

Intern
Intern
B
WE: Consulting (Accounting)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2018, 09:47
Hero8888 wrote:
Hey guys,

Here are my results of 2 mock tests. I don't understand the paradox: in attempt with lower result all 1-20 are correct (theoretically having higher impact). The ratio of correct/incorrect answers is almost the same in both attempts, differing in 1 incorrect answer only. Please see attached files.

Any thoughts?

Hey there, I once got V29 as well with 12 errors, although I did really mess up the first 10 questions:

# SC CR RC Correct
1 1 - - 1
2 - 1 - -
3 - 1 - 1
4 1 - - -
5 - 1 - -
6 - 1 - -
7 1 - - 1
8 - 1 - 1
9 - 1 - -
10 1 - - 1
11 1 - - 1
12 - 1 - 1
13 1 - - 1
14 - - 1 1
15 - - 1 1
16 - - 1 -
17 1 - - 1
18 - - 1 -
19 - - 1 -
20 - - 1 -
21 - - 1 -
22 1 - - 1
23 - 1 - 1
24 - 1 - 1
25 1 - - 1
26 1 - - 1
27 1 - - 1
28 1 - - 1
29 - - 1 1
30 - - 1 -
31 - - 1 -
32 1 - - 1
33 1 - - 1
34 - - 1 1
35 - - 1 1
36 - - 1 1
Total 14 9 13 24

V29 #ofQs Correct Incorrect %correct
SC 14 13 1 93%
CR 9 5 4 56%
RC 13 6 7 46%
Total 36 24 12
Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2018, 10:11
Hey guys, I did a mock recently and hit Q49 with 14 errors. The distribution of errors across the test was as follows (I marked DS questions, assume PS if not marked): 9, 11 (DS), 12 (DS), 13 (DS), 14 (DS), 20, 21, 23 (DS), 24, 25, 26 (DS), 28, 30, 31 (DS).

Overall, I had 18 PS and 13 DS questions. Made per 7 errors of each type of question. There were 3 DS questions among the first 10 questions: 1, 7, 8.

I analysed each question after the test, with the help of Gmatclub, and found that almost all questions were of a medium and hard category. I guess that must have been the reason of Q49 despite 14 errors.

HTH

Comments and analyses are welcome ;)
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2018, 16:02
in the two free official mocks,in my first exam, i had 12 wrong in verbal,still ended up getting V40,in second,I had 10 wrong in verbal,got V37. Distribution of wrong answers-
Test1-7SC,4CR,1RC
Test2-6SC,2CR,2RC

In quant,I had 12 wrong in first test,got Q49, and had 11 wrong in second,got Q47.
Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2018, 02:04
Hey anmit123, thank you for sharing the info. Can you please list the distribution of errors across the tests for Verbal just as I did in the previous post (for "Q49 with 14 errors")? This is a critical matter especially in Verbal since we more or less have an idea about Quant.

Cheers!
Mc
GMAT Club Bot
Re: NEW FORMAT GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios &nbs [#permalink] 10 Sep 2018, 02:04

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 46 posts ] 

NEW FORMAT GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap