GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jun 2018, 02:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Nora will enter a ticket lottery every day until she wins the lottery,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Nora will enter a ticket lottery every day until she wins the lottery, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2017, 01:23
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

71% (00:41) correct 29% (01:01) wrong based on 108 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Nora will enter a ticket lottery every day until she wins the lottery, after which she will no longer enter. If the probability that she wins the ticket lottery is \(0.1\) on each of the first three days, what is the probability that she wins on the third day?

(A) \(0.001\)
(B) \(0.009\)
(C) \(0.081\)
(D) \(0.729\)
(E) \(0.900\)

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Re: Nora will enter a ticket lottery every day until she wins the lottery, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2017, 08:22
ziyuenlau wrote:
Nora will enter a ticket lottery every day until she wins the lottery, after which she will no longer enter. If the probability that she wins the ticket lottery is \(0.1\) on each of the first three days, what is the probability that she wins on the third day?

(A) \(0.001\)
(B) \(0.009\)
(C) \(0.081\)
(D) \(0.729\)
(E) \(0.900\)

I don't see a correct answer. If the probability she wins on any given day of the first three days is 0.1 the "the probability she wins on the third day" would still be 0.1
1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
G
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Nora will enter a ticket lottery every day until she wins the lottery, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2017, 09:22
IdiomSavant wrote:
ziyuenlau wrote:

(A) \(0.001\)
(B) \(0.009\)
(C) \(0.081\)
(D) \(0.729\)
(E) \(0.900\)

I don't see a correct answer. If the probability she wins on any given day of the first three days is 0.1 the "the probability she wins on the third day" would still be 0.1

Look carefully again at the highlighted part....

Nora entered Ticket Lottery coz she didn't win it on the first 2 days..

Probability of not winning lottery on the first 2 days is 0.9*0.9 = 0.081

Hence, correct answer must be (C) 0.081

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
S
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
My Company: www.parallaxprep.com
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 1600 Q800 V800
GPA: 3.11
WE: Education (Education)
Nora will enter a ticket lottery every day until she wins the lottery, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 10 Feb 2017, 10:01
Abhishek, good reply; beat me to it by 2 minutes! EDIT: But it does need to say 0.9 * 0.9 * 0.1. Shame on me for not reading closely enough.

Fun twist: If you know that Nora did, in fact, win on one of the first three days, what's the probability she won on day 3?

Originally posted by AnthonyRitz on 10 Feb 2017, 09:25.
Last edited by AnthonyRitz on 10 Feb 2017, 10:01, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2017, 09:57
Abhishek009 wrote:
IdiomSavant wrote:
ziyuenlau wrote:

(A) \(0.001\)
(B) \(0.009\)
(C) \(0.081\)
(D) \(0.729\)
(E) \(0.900\)

Look carefully again at the highlighted part....

Nora entered Ticket Lottery coz she didn't win it on the first 2 days..

Probability of not winning lottery on the first 2 days is 0.9*0.9 = 0.081

Hence, correct answer must be (C) 0.081

You're missing a step though right?

Probability of not winning lottery on the first 2 days is 0.9*0.9=0.81 not 0.081 yet.

The probability of winning on the third day is 0.81*0.1 = 0.081 (Probability of making it to the third day x probability of winning on day 3).
Expert Post
Target Test Prep Representative
G
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2017, 10:50
ziyuenlau wrote:

(A) \(0.001\)
(B) \(0.009\)
(C) \(0.081\)
(D) \(0.729\)
(E) \(0.900\)

We are given that Nora’s probability of winning the lottery on each of the first 3 days is 0.1; thus, the probability of her not winning on any day is 1 - 0.1 = 0.9. We must determine the probability of her winning on day 3, which means she does not win on day 1 or on day 2.

P(winning on day 3) = 0.9 x 0.9 x 0.1 = 0.081.

Answer: C

Jeffery Miller
Head of GMAT Instruction

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Investment Banking (Venture Capital)

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2017, 20:04
Since this question gives you the probability of winning (1/10), it is implied that the probability of losing is (9/10)

The question basically asks: (9/10)*(9/10)*(1/10) = ?
-- 81/1,000 --> .081
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2018, 07:39
hazelnut wrote:

(A) \(0.001\)
(B) \(0.009\)
(C) \(0.081\)
(D) \(0.729\)
(E) \(0.900\)

Actually probability of Nora winning on any one single day is the same , be it the third day or second day or first day.

Consider the following :

Probability of winning on third day = 0.9*0.9*0.1 = .081
Probability of winning on second day = 0.9*0.1*0.9 = .081
Probability of winning on First day = 0.1*0.9*0.9 = .081

Hope this helps.

- Stne

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2018, 10:42
hazelnut wrote:

(A) \(0.001\)
(B) \(0.009\)
(C) \(0.081\)
(D) \(0.729\)
(E) \(0.900\)

She wins on the third day, therefore she was lost in her first 2 days:

The probability that she will lost on each of the first 3 days: \(1 - 0.1 = 0.9\)
Probability that she wins on the third day: \(P(Lost in day 1) * P(Lost in day 2) * P(Win in day 3) = 0.9*0.9*0.1 = 0.081\) => Answer (C)
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2018, 00:14
stne wrote:
hazelnut wrote:

(A) \(0.001\)
(B) \(0.009\)
(C) \(0.081\)
(D) \(0.729\)
(E) \(0.900\)

Actually probability of Nora winning on any one single day is the same , be it the third day or second day or first day.

Consider the following :

Hope this helps.

Since she enters the lottery only until she wins do you still factor in the .9 for the other days?
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2018, 03:09
hawesg wrote:
stne wrote:
hazelnut wrote:

(A) \(0.001\)
(B) \(0.009\)
(C) \(0.081\)
(D) \(0.729\)
(E) \(0.900\)

Consider the following :

Hope this helps.

Since she enters the lottery only until she wins do you still factor in the .9 for the other days?

He made a mistake as she only enters the next day if she didn't win yesterday. So if she wins on day 1, she won't enter in day 2 onward, or if she wins in day 2, she will only enter it in day 1 and 2 but not 3. But the point is still correct - the probability of her winning on any given day is the same because she only wins once (you won't have to take orders of her winning into consideration)
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2018, 21:06
hoang221 wrote:
He made a mistake as she only enters the next day if she didn't win yesterday. So if she wins on day 1, she won't enter on day 2 onward, or if she wins on day 2, she will only enter it in day 1 and 2 but not 3. But the point is still correct - the probability of her winning on any given day is the same because she only wins once (you won't have to take orders of her winning into consideration)

That's what I thought but I let it get in my head. Although in this case is the probability of her winning on the first or second day, not 0? Given that she only plays until she wins and that the probability of her winning on days 2 and 3 are .1 doesn't that mean that she lost for sure on days one and 2...
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2018, 05:41
hawesg wrote:
hoang221 wrote:
He made a mistake as she only enters the next day if she didn't win yesterday. So if she wins on day 1, she won't enter on day 2 onward, or if she wins on day 2, she will only enter it in day 1 and 2 but not 3. But the point is still correct - the probability of her winning on any given day is the same because she only wins once (you won't have to take orders of her winning into consideration)

That's what I thought but I let it get in my head. Although in this case is the probability of her winning on the first or second day, not 0? Given that she only plays until she wins and that the probability of her winning on days 2 and 3 are .1 doesn't that mean that she lost for sure on days one and 2...

This is a common misconception about probability. Although we know for sure that she would lose on day 1 and 2 (according to this problem), it actually not the case. We "know" that she will lose on day 1 and 2 because we assumed so. If the problem stated otherwise, we will have different combination of 0.1 and 0.9, but those 2 numbers will stay the same. The overall probability that she will win or lose in a single day will be unchanged
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2018, 15:42
hoang221 wrote:
This is a common misconception about probability. Although we know for sure that she would lose on day 1 and 2 (according to this problem), it actually not the case. We "know" that she will lose on day 1 and 2 because we assumed so. If the problem stated otherwise, we will have different combination of 0.1 and 0.9, but those 2 numbers will stay the same. The overall probability that she will win or lose in a single day will be unchanged

No, I'm with you on that, I was referring to the wording of the question, the probability that she wins the lottery on each of the first 3 days is 0.1 does not suggest anything about day 4 but semantically with the information, we are provided we are given that "she no longer enters when she wins", so the probability of her winning on a day following a win is 0 since she doesn't play on those days.
I followed the question, I'm just saying if the question was worded the same except the end said " what is the probability that she wins on the second day?" instead of "what is the probability that she wins on the third day?" without changing the wording before it to something like "If the probability of winning" instead of "the probability that she wins".
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2018, 18:00
hawesg wrote:
hoang221 wrote:

No, I'm with you on that, I was referring to the wording of the question, the probability that she wins the lottery on each of the first 3 days is 0.1 does not suggest anything about day 4 but semantically with the information, we are provided we are given that "she no longer enters when she wins", so the probability of her winning on a day following a win is 0 since she doesn't play on those days.
I followed the question, I'm just saying if the question was worded the same except the end said " what is the probability that she wins on the second day?" instead of "what is the probability that she wins on the third day?" without changing the wording before it to something like "If the probability of winning" instead of "the probability that she wins".

Okay i think i understand what you meant by now
So what you imply is that the wording can throw us off, because if they ask "what is the probability that she wins on the third day?", the answer can be 0.1, in fact it will be 0.1 no matter what day she won. In this case, we have to rely on the answer choices (clearly there are no 0.1). I think this kind of problem will never happen on GMAT, as we will be required to do at least some calculation in order to reach the answer.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 16:21
hoang221 wrote:
hawesg wrote:
hoang221 wrote:

Okay i think i understand what you meant by now
So what you imply is that the wording can throw us off, because if they ask "what is the probability that she wins on the third day?", the answer can be 0.1, in fact it will be 0.1 no matter what day she won. In this case, we have to rely on the answer choices (clearly there are no 0.1). I think this kind of problem will never happen on GMAT, as we will be required to do at least some calculation in order to reach the answer.

Agreed, and I think the question is perfectly clear the way it is. I was more trying to make sure my reasoning was correct in response to the comment that actually the odds would be the same if the question had asked what the probability of her winning on the first or second day was (if the rest of the question remained the same).

Cheers.
Re: Nora will enter a ticket lottery every day until she wins the lottery,   [#permalink] 23 Mar 2018, 16:21

Nora will enter a ticket lottery every day until she wins the lottery,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap