Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:57 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Weakenx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3893 [53]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 883 [15]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [6]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 341 [5]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: International Business
Send PM
Re: Northern Air has dozens of flights daily into and out of Belleville [#permalink]
Kudos
Northern Air has dozens of flights daily into and out of Belleville Airport, which is highly congested. Northern Air depends for its success on economy and quick turnaround and consequently is planning to replace its large planes with Skybuses, the novel aerodynamic design of which is extremely fuel efficient. The Skybus’ fuel efficiency results in both lower fuel costs and reduced time spent refueling.
Which of the following, if true, could present the most serious disadvantage for Northern Air in replacing its large planes with Skybuses?

My Explanation:
-----------------------------------
(A) The Skybus would enable Northern Air to schedule direct flights to destinations that currently require stops for refueling. ---> This would rather prove to be advantageous for the airline company.

(B) Aviation fuel is projected to decline in price over the next several years. ---> This will again prove to be advantageous for the airline company as the decrease in price along with the Skybus' inherent fuel effiecient feature will overall reduce the cost of operation.

(C) The fuel efficiency of the Skybus would enable Northern Air to eliminate refueling at some of its destinations, but several mechanics would lose their jobs. ---> Elimination of refuelling and job-cuts will actually be advantageous for the airline company.

(D) None of Northern Air’s competitors that use Belleville Airport are considering buying Skybuses. ---> This does not mean that the decision of Northern Air to use Skybuses is a wrong one. Discard this option.

(E) The aerodynamic design of the Skybus causes turbulence behind it when taking off that forces other planes on the runway to delay their takeoffs. ---> Correct. The delay caused by Skybus' turbulence will impact Northern Air because we know that the airport is highly congested. This delay, will thus, affect Northern Air's quick turnaround time.
-----------------------------------

My choice will be option E.

HTH
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 773 [3]
Given Kudos: 13
 Q50  V35
Send PM
Re: Northern Air has dozens of flights daily into and out of Belleville [#permalink]
Kudos
IMO E.

The delay in next flight might affect the schedules of other Northern Air flights, which is known for its quick turnaround, and thus will result in possible loss of business of the company.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [2]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
It has gotta be E. Reason: The first sentence in the passage mentions that there are as it is "dozens" of flights of Northern Air. Later in the passage there is mention that these are smaller. A small assumption would mean that the number of flights of Northern Air will only increase.

Therefore, if that happens and the planes behind each Skybus are going to get delayed during take-off, several of those could well be Northern Air flights, which would ultimately result in a drop in profitability owed to slow turnaround.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Schools: LBS '14 IMD '16
Send PM
I have a STRONG disagreement on the OA . Can some expert comment (as to why) , my reasoning is wrong.

The stimulus is :
Northern Air has dozens of flights daily into and out of Belleville Airport, which is highly congested. Northern Air depends for its success on economyand quick turnaround and consequently is planning to replace its large planes with Skybuses, whose novel aerodynamic design is extremely fuel efficient. The Skybus’s fuel efficiency results in both lower fuel costs and reduced time spent refueling

so its about finding the new proposal to increase ECONOMY or/and to increase TURNAROUND TIME.

ANS:

(B) Aviation fuel is projected to decline in price over the next several years.
Here , the economics is clear. If the fuel prices are reduced , the profits increase . Howmuch , is debatable , but it WILL be ECONOMICAL

(E) The aerodynamic design of the Skybus causes turbulence behind it when taking off that forces other planes on the runway to delay their takeoffs.
It will increase the congestion is true , but assume that the next fight is not of N-Airlines even then the congestion will increase . so it increase turnaround time OF ALL AIRLINES at the airport. Howmuch , is debatable , but it WILL increase TURNAROUND TIME

now consider both the arguments , how do we consider which one is more weighted ?

Can some expert advice , what is the GMAC trick here ? Have I misunderstood the reasoning?

-eski
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Hello Eski,

As you mentioned, reduction in fuel prices causes the final outcome to become advantageous to Northern Air. So, it does not pose any disadvantage for Northern Air. However, in case of statement E, the increase in turnaround time is actually disadvantageous to Northern Air as the company depends on low turnaround time. An increase in turnaround time might suggest that the company might face trouble in certain situations and might get into a fix. Hence, this is the answer.

Hope this helps! Let me know if I can help you any further.

eski wrote:
I have a STRONG disagreement on the OA . Can some expert comment (as to why) , my reasoning is wrong.

The stimulus is :
Northern Air has dozens of flights daily into and out of Belleville Airport, which is highly congested. Northern Air depends for its success on economyand quick turnaround and consequently is planning to replace its large planes with Skybuses, whose novel aerodynamic design is extremely fuel efficient. The Skybus’s fuel efficiency results in both lower fuel costs and reduced time spent refueling

so its about finding the new proposal to increase ECONOMY or/and to increase TURNAROUND TIME.

ANS:

Here , the economics is clear. If the fuel prices are reduced , the profits increase . Howmuch , is debatable , but it WILL be ECONOMICAL

(E) The aerodynamic design of the Skybus causes turbulence behind it when taking off that forces other planes on the runway to delay their takeoffs.
It will increase the congestion is true , but assume that the next fight is not of N-Airlines even then the congestion will increase . so it increase turnaround time OF ALL AIRLINES at the airport. Howmuch , is debatable , but it WILL increase TURNAROUND TIME

now consider both the arguments , how do we consider which one is more weighted ?

Can some expert advice , what is the GMAC trick here ? Have I misunderstood the reasoning?

-eski
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GPA: 3.6
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Northern Air has dozens of flights daily into and out of Belleville Airport, which is highly congested. Northern Air depends for its success on economy and quick turnaround and consequently is planning to replace its large planes with Skybuses, the novel aerodynamic design of which is extremely fuel efficient. The Skybus’ fuel efficiency results in both lower fuel costs and reduced time spent refueling.

Which of the following, if true, could present the most serious disadvantage for Northern Air in replacing its large planes with Skybuses?

(A) The Skybus would enable Northern Air to schedule direct flights to destinations that currently require stops for refueling. not a disadvantage
(B) Aviation fuel is projected to decline in price over the next several years. it is an advantage which fill support the decision
(C) The fuel efficiency of the Skybus would enable Northern Air to eliminate refueling at some of its destinations, but several mechanics would lose their jobs. well its a disadvantage for the employees but not for Northern Air.
(D) None of Northern Air’s competitors that use Belleville Airport are considering buying Skybuses. The premise provided supports advantage for Northern Air and the Airport, this reason does not negate the decision
(E) The aerodynamic design of the Skybus causes turbulence behind it when taking off that forces other planes on the runway to delay their takeoffs. The phenomenon will delay other flights and in a holistic fashion delay overall turn around time, thus will prove to be a disadvantage.
Manager
Manager
Status:Birds fly because they have wings, not because they have sky.
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [1]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.65
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
souvik101990 wrote:
Northern Air has dozens of flights daily into and out of Belleville Airport, which is highly congested. Northern Air depends for its success on economy and quick turnaround and consequently is planning to replace its large planes with Skybuses, whose novel aerodynamic design is extremely fuel efficient. The Skybus' fuel efficiency results in both lower fuel costs and reduced time spent refueling. Which of the following, if true, could present the most serious disadvantage for Northern Air in replacing their large planes with Skybuses?

A. The Skybus would enable Northern Air to schedule direct flights to destinations that currently require stops for refueling.

B. Aviation fuel is projected to decline in price over the next several years.

C. The fuel efficiency of the Skybus would enable Northern Air to eliminate refueling at some of its destinations, but several mechanics would lose their jobs.

D. None of Northern Air's competitors that use Belleville Airport are considering buying Skybuses.

E. The aerodynamic design of the Skybus causes turbulence behind it when taking off that forces other planes on the runway to delay their takeoffs.

OA - 24 hours

A. The Skybus would enable Northern Air to schedule direct flights to destinations that currently require stops for refueling.
-> Actually strengthens the argument.

B. Aviation fuel is projected to decline in price over the next several years.
-> A decline in price would still increase the profit margin and hence this as well strengthens the argument.

C. The fuel efficiency of the Skybus would enable Northern Air to eliminate refueling at some of its destinations, but several mechanics would lose their jobs.
-> Seems irrelevant, though I am not sure about this one.

D. None of Northern Air's competitors that use Belleville Airport are considering buying Skybuses.
-> Not all competitors could be flying as many flights to as far locations in order to actually gain profits. Irrelevant

E. The aerodynamic design of the Skybus causes turbulence behind it when taking off that forces other planes on the runway to delay their takeoffs.
-> My choice of best answer. Delays in take offs will not be acceptable to any airport authority and hence Northern Air will face opposition.

I do chose E but I am skeptical about it. C too could be disadvantageous for the plan. If in GMAT, I would chose E anyways.

souvik101990, do post OA and OE once the time is out.
Manager
Manager
Status:Final Call! Will Achieve Target ANyHow This Tym! :)
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [2]
Given Kudos: 135
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
The passage presents some facts about Northern Air’s business-in particular that its success depends on quick turnaround and economy.
TURNAROUND (Exact Meaning) : the process of readying a transport vehicle for departure after its arrival; also : the time spent in this process.

Also, I need to mention a point about the economy here,as some of my friends have asked questions earlier in this thread related to economy,
this is not "economy" in the sense of a nation's overall economy; this is "economy" = "reduction of costs"/"value for money". here, that reduction of cost will be by using fuel efficient planes, thus saving on fuel costs.

The airline plans to promote these goals by purchasing Skybuses, which will reduce fuel costs and time spend refueling. The question asks you to identify a disadvantage for the airline in this plan.

Detailed Explanation for the options -

Choice E is the best answer because from the passage we know that Belleville Airport is highly congested and that Northern Air has many flights into and out of this airport daily. Therefore, the delay that Skybus takeoffs cause for other planes will impact Northern Air‘s flights, reducing the airline’s ability to achieve rapid turnaround.

Choice A and C are incorrect since the ability to have more destinations served by direct flights (choice A) and to eliminate refueling at some destinations (choice C) are both potential advantages of Northern Air’s plan.

Choice B is incorrect for the reason that although a decline in the price of aviation fuel would reduce the cost savings from introducing the Skybus, a reduction in fuel costs would still be an advantage, although a smaller one.

Choice D is incorrect. The simple fact that Northern Air’s competitors are not considering buying Skybuses does not itself present either an advantage or a disadvantage for Northern Air, although the reasons the competitors might have could include both advantage and disadvantage.
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [1]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
generis VeritasKarishma AshutoshB Harshgmat nightblade354

Please help me with my reasoning for B/E

Quote:
Which of the following, if true, could present the most serious disadvantage for Northern Air in replacing its large planes with Skybuses (S)?

Playing gamble of reading q stem first helps.
I need to say: It is not advantageous to replace large planes with S

Quote:
Northern Air (NA) has dozens of flights daily into and out of Belleville Airport, which is highly congested.

NA operates on a highly congested airport (e.g Dubai/ Mumbai)

Quote:
Northern Air depends for its success on economy and quick turnaround

Its success depends on how can we enhance the maximum time the plane is in air, i.e.
reduce time spent for fueling or requires less fuel itself or reducing its maintenance.

Quote:
consequently is planning to replace its large planes with Skybuses, the novel aerodynamic design of which is extremely fuel efficient. The Skybus’ fuel efficiency results in both lower fuel costs and reduced time spent refueling.

Conclusion marker: consequently.
So, NA plans to replace large planes with S (y)
because S delivers more mileage per fuel and this shall help to reduce time on the ground for the plane.

Quote:

OK, so aviation fuel prices are reduced, so in fact it is advantageous to use S. This is opposite to what we want.

Quote:

Though I selected this correctly, I wasted up to a min to think what other planes are: S or large planes.
Eventually, it seems irrelevant to the scope of the argument.
Imp takeaway: S causes the delay for other flights so we should not replace current large planes with S.
The delay of planes because of S is important, not the type of planes is causes delay to.

Let me know your thoughts.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35488 [1]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:
generis

Please help me with my reasoning for B/E
Quote:
Which of the following, if true, could present the most serious disadvantage for Northern Air in replacing its large planes with Skybuses (S)?

Playing gamble of reading q stem first helps.
I need to say: It is not advantageous to replace large planes with S
Quote:
Northern Air (NA) has dozens of flights daily into and out of Belleville Airport, which is highly congested.

NA operates on a highly congested airport (e.g Dubai/ Mumbai)
Quote:
Northern Air depends for its success on economy and quick turnaround

Its success depends on how can we enhance the maximum time the plane is in air, i.e.
reduce time spent for fueling or requires less fuel itself or reducing its maintenance.

adkikani - Right on track. Excellent!
One thought: keep an open mind about what "economy and quick turnaround time" mean.
You went straight to "maximum time in the air."
True, but not complete in terms of the content of the prompt and therefore potentially limiting.

The prompt stresses both turnaround and economy in the sense of "thrift."
The prompt reinforces thrift by noting that fuel efficiency = fuel savings.
Turnaround and economy are not identical.
Quote:
Quote:
consequently is planning to replace its large planes with Skybuses, the novel aerodynamic design of which is extremely fuel efficient. The Skybus’ fuel efficiency results in both lower fuel costs and reduced time spent refueling.

Conclusion marker: consequently.
So, NA plans to replace large planes with S (y)
because S delivers more mileage per fuel and this shall help to reduce time on the ground for the plane.

You are wise to spot markers. Again, turnaround time may depend on more than "time in the air."
Quote:
Quote:

OK, so aviation fuel prices are reduced, so in fact it is advantageous to use S. This is opposite to what we want.

Spot on.
Quote:
Quote:

Though I selected this correctly, I wasted up to a min to think what other planes are: S or large planes.
Eventually, it seems irrelevant to the scope of the argument.
Imp takeaway: S causes the delay for other flights so we should not replace current large planes with S.
The delay of planes because of S is important, not the type of planes is causes delay to.

Let me know your thoughts.

See my answer below about E.
If you find yourself spending too much time trying to figure out WHY the POE answer is correct, stop after 10 seconds.
"Waste" your time differently. Go back to the other options.

Read carefully but decide quickly whether you were correct to omit the option.
Watch for traps as you read carefully.

• A and B are straightforward 180 traps: direct flights and cheaper fuel would be advantageous to the airline.

• If you catch a word you didn't consider, reconsider that answer.
Hypothetical: (C) for example, could be relevant to turnaround time.
"Several" mechanics cut = fewer mechanics. Slower turnaround time for maintenance?
But wait: fewer mechanics cuts both ways (decreased salary costs, but maybe slight increase in turnaround time).
Decide: "several" implies "only a few" and thus makes this answer too ambiguous and probably irrelevant.
Reject (C) again

• (D) is out of scope. Only one word in the prompt, "success," has anything to do with D.
We know nothing about the rest of the industry. (Don't engage with content that is irrelevant.)

Look at (E) one more time. Take 5-10 seconds. Look for a word or a concept that is tied directly to the argument.
You hit upon the right phrase. You wrote, "S causes the delay to other planes."
A slight adjustment: S causes the delay to other planes."

(E) may be confusing, but it mentions "delay," which is tied directly to "quick turnaround."
That connection is enough, and logically (E) is better than the other options.
(Respectively, those options are advantageous, ambiguous and irrelevant, and irrelevant.)

Nice work, especially because you forced yourself to choose the best answer that remained.
That move is really hard for most people. Keep it up!
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35488 [2]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM