GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 23 Apr 2018, 08:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Of all the things that Washington could have done in conducting the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
Of all the things that Washington could have done in conducting the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2016, 18:12
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

48% (00:43) correct 52% (01:06) wrong based on 246 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Of all the things that Washington could have done in conducting the American Revolution, the war against the British would not have succeeded without French intervention.

(A) Of all the things that Washington could have done in conducting the American Revolution

(B) Washington might have conducted the American Revolution in a number of ways

(C) Besides what Washington did in conducting the American Revolution

(D) However Washington may have conducted the American Revolution

(E) Washington conducted the American Revolution, however

Some of the choices in this sentence use the word "however" is a sense not familiar to some modern readers, but this more sophisticated usage will appear on the GMAT. To get the full story, see this blog:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2016/the-word- ... -the-gmat/

Mike :-)
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Magoosh Discount Codese-GMAT Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
S
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Of all the things that Washington could have done in conducting the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2016, 05:26
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Of all the things that Washington could have done in conducting the American Revolution, the war against the British would not have succeeded without French intervention.

It appears that Washington has done few things , one of it is war against British and french played a major role in that war.

(A) Of all the things that Washington could have done in conducting the American Revolution

(B) Washington might have conducted the American Revolution in a number of ways........both the independent sentences are connected by simply a comma.............Comma splice error.

(C) Besides what Washington did in conducting the American Revolution.............the stricture is as Besides what X did, Y happened. Besides is an incorrect connecting word and sentence structure is also incorrect.

(E) Washington conducted the American Revolution, however................however here to infer the meaning of but which is incorrect here.

out of A and D, I chose A.

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Expert Post
Math Expert
V
Re: Of all the things that Washington could have done in conducting the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2016, 05:41
Nevernevergiveup wrote:

It appears that Washington has done few things , one of it is war against British and french played a major role in that war.

(B) Washington might have conducted the American Revolution in a number of ways........both the independent sentences are connected by simply a comma.............Comma splice error.

(C) Besides what Washington did in conducting the American Revolution.............the stricture is as Besides what X did, Y happened. Besides is an incorrect connecting word and sentence structure is also incorrect.

(E) Washington conducted the American Revolution, however................however here to infer the meaning of but which is incorrect here.

out of A and D, I chose A.

Hi,
why A is wrong?..

if you look at the subordinate clause...
Of all the things that Washington could have done in conducting the American Revolution..
I would expect something immediately after that to be getting modified...
and WHAT should it be--?
it will be one of "all the things the sentence is talking about"...

And Is "the war against the British " that thing .. NO

so, the choice is not conveying the meaning properly and has modifier problem..

Hope it helps you in eliminating A..

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

GMAT online Tutor

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2016, 03:43
Hi mikemcgarry,

Can you please post official explanation of this question.

I am not able to comprehend how "However Washington may have conducted the American Revolution" is modifying "The war"..??

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2016, 06:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post

The correct meaning here is that (although/despite/ in spite of) Washington did conduct the American Revolution (meaning the war against the British), the French intervention was a great help for the Americans to decisively win the war and declare independence.
That is why the correct answer is D; ‘however’ is used in the meaning of ‘whatever great way’ or ‘in spite of the great way’ ….. still one cannot undervalue the French connection.

(A) Of all the things that Washington could have done in conducting the American Revolution --- Of all the things, means that The French help was one those things the General did – wrong meaning.

(B) Washington might have conducted the American Revolution in a number of ways --- This is a run-on.

(C) Besides what Washington did in conducting the American Revolution -- 'besides’ means ‘in addition to; we need a meaning of ‘in spite of”

(D) However Washington may have conducted the American Revolution – Best choice as explained above.

(E) Washington conducted the American Revolution, however -- Two independent clauses cannot be joined with a however using a comma before and after however. The proper way would be to use ‘a semi-colon +however+ comma’. This is as good as a run-on.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2016, 11:22
Hi daagh,

Thank you so much for such an explanation.

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2016, 11:37
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
RAHKARP27071989 wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry,

Can you please post official explanation of this question.

I am not able to comprehend how "However Washington may have conducted the American Revolution" is modifying "The war"..??

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Dear Prakhar,
I'm very glad you found the words of daagh helpful: daagh is an impressive individual on this site. If this use of "however" is relatively new to you, I want to recommend this blog, which I think you will find illuminating:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2016/the-word-h ... -the-gmat/
That blog discusses the two completely different uses of "however," and the rules governing each. That blog also contains the OE of the question.

Best of luck, my friend!
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 11:14
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Of all the things that Washington could have done in conducting the   [#permalink] 13 Apr 2018, 11:14

Of all the things that Washington could have done in conducting the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap