Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:47 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Official Business School Representative
Affiliations: IIM Bangalore
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
EPGP: IIMB
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 361 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Send PM
Re: Official Thread - IIM-Bangalore EPGP 8 aspirants - Class of 2016-17 [#permalink]
Can we get some tips on writing SOPs. Sample essays would be very helpful.Does SOP s have a defined structure?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
Re: Official Thread - IIM-Bangalore EPGP 8 aspirants - Class of 2016-17 [#permalink]
Hi everyone,

For those of you who have plans to get a job in the US after b-school, you should definitely check out pymetrics.

pymetrics is a neuroscience game-based platform that reveals your traits and matches you with companies and jobs you're compatible with.

It's free, fun and easy.

https://bit.ly/1JxEviS
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
soumyakroy wrote:
Can we get some tips on writing SOPs. Sample essays would be very helpful.Does SOP s have a defined structure?

Hi,
IIMB EPGP application requires only an SOP - You may structure your SOP in the following manner
Start with your formal introduction and your educational and professional background. Highlight your skills, experiences and professional and personal achievements and what have you learnt from them.
Write about your short term and long term goals and what are the skills required to achieve these goals.
Explain what EPGP would offer you and how would it help you bridge the gap between your current skill set and the skills you need to achieve your goals.

You may also write about how this MBA would help you in personal sphere of life.
Send PM
Expert Reply
manishkhare wrote:
Hello ,how important are the info-sessions conducted by the IIMs ?
From an applicant perspective ,do they provide a value addition ?

Regards,
Manish Khare

Hi,
Info sessions are important as they provide you an opportunity to interact with alumni and professors.
You will get insights into what you can learn from the program, how it helped the alums and what can you expect to gain from it.
You will also have an opportunity to get answers to your queries and interact with fellow applicants.
Send PM
Expert Reply
IIM Bangalore EPGP 1 year fulltime program Executive Post Graduate Programme in Management, IIM Bangalore is conducting online information session on 24th July, 2015 at 7.00 pm. Register for the webinar and get all your queries answered online. Sign up on the link: https://goo.gl/X4WVmF
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Expert Reply
soumyakroy wrote:

Hi,

The SoP basically needs to tell your story in a structured, logical manner. Although there are far too many naunces that enable the logic and the flow, I am giving you the key pointers that go into making a complete answer.

1. Give a summary of your work experience which includes the pivotal points - like taking up specific responsibilities; motivation/ influence to do so. Let the reader get a sense of how you steered you career in a particular direction.

2. What skills/ strengths have you built? Mention 1-2 specific achievements to support your answer.

3. Going forward what do you want to do? What will you do in the short term, i.e. immediately after your MBA? Why (very important)? What skill have you built in the past that will help you transition to this career goal?

4. What do you intend doing in the mid term- that is, 5-8 years after your MBA? Talk about the responsibilities that you will handle.

5. What do you intend doing in the long term? That is roughly 8-10 years later?
(Your short term, mid term, long term goals should have a common thread between them)

6. What skills/ and knowledge are you currently lacking and why is an EPGP the best way to get them? Why is now the best time to do this?

7. How will the IIMB EPGP help you in achieve your goals? Mention 3-5 specific reasons- these could be related to the academics, career opportunities or extra curricular activities (such as being part of Clubs and benefitting from them). We always insist that you talk to a few students/ alums and write a knowledgeable answer here rather than randomly picking out a few points from the school brochure.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Send PM
EPGPIIMB wrote:
arushi2103 wrote:
Thanks a lot for your answers. May I also ask you to please share your interview experiences :?: ?

Did anyone in the group face skype interview? If yes, how was the experience ? Any special tips would be highly appreciated.

Hi Arushi,

You may check the following forum from last year for interview experiences of candidates.
https://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/iim ... e-25116024

Here is the debrief of one such interview. Overall abt 30 mins. There were 3 panelists(2 professors and 1 alumni). One of them was from marketing. It was more like a discussion where they presented their views as well after questioning me.

P: So what did other candidates told u abt the interview

Me:That its a cool interview inside

All started giggling.

P: Let me tell u a secret and you will be surprised. Stress interviews doesnt mean that its bad.

Me: Nodded

P: tell me abt an event of ur life from which u learnt

Me:Told a life changing event

P:what kept u motivated u for such a long time(based on my event) Me:answered

P:Suppose you are ur organization's India head and come in Delhi for few hrs. Which ministry in govt will u meet and what will u discuss

Me:answered.Discussed abt issues faced and govt policy on that

P:Countered Me:answered by taking my stand but they cut me in between.

P: Why everyone blames govt.Telecom should come up with better revenue mode. Then they stated talking abt startups in telecom and how it helps in innovation.Then discussions on how auctioning happens.How the ceo's meet in bombay and what they discuss. This was not questioning but were their views abt this. I wasnt asked anything on this. I just listened whatever they told me and nodded positively.

P:Why MBA

Me:answered

P:Countered

Me: answered.

P:Tell us abt ur work initiative( based on my SOP). Lot of counter questions on this. How automation is harmful. I had to justify automatons. They were just laughing at my examples of real world.

P: Any questions for us

Me:asked a question

P: 2 mins ans on it. thank u.

Regards,
Rohan Tiwari
EPGP_IIMB

Thanks a lot Rohan.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Send PM
MBADecoder wrote:
soumyakroy wrote:

Hi,

The SoP basically needs to tell your story in a structured, logical manner. Although there are far too many naunces that enable the logic and the flow, I am giving you the key pointers that go into making a complete answer.

1. Give a summary of your work experience which includes the pivotal points - like taking up specific responsibilities; motivation/ influence to do so. Let the reader get a sense of how you steered you career in a particular direction.

2. What skills/ strengths have you built? Mention 1-2 specific achievements to support your answer.

3. Going forward what do you want to do? What will you do in the short term, i.e. immediately after your MBA? Why (very important)? What skill have you built in the past that will help you transition to this career goal?

4. What do you intend doing in the mid term- that is, 5-8 years after your MBA? Talk about the responsibilities that you will handle.

(Your short term, mid term, long term goals should have a common thread between them)

6. What skills/ and knowledge are you currently lacking and why is an EPGP the best way to get them? Why is now the best time to do this?

7. How will the IIMB EPGP help you in achieve your goals? Mention 3-5 specific reasons- these could be related to the academics, career opportunities or extra curricular activities (such as being part of Clubs and benefitting from them). We always insist that you talk to a few students/ alums and write a knowledgeable answer here rather than randomly picking out a few points from the school brochure.

Should SOP not exceed from the limit they have given in the online application?? It is too less !
Send PM
Expert Reply
arushi2103 wrote:
MBADecoder wrote:
soumyakroy wrote:

Hi,

Should SOP not exceed from the limit they have given in the online application?? It is too less !

Please adhere to the word limit that is mentioned in the application guidelines. Anything additional will not be considered by the admission committee. All of us in the current batch were able to highlight our achievements, goals and motivation for MBA within the required word limit; hence, i am sure that if you write judicially and spend enough time to make the SOP concise you will be able to manage quite well.
Wishing you the best for your application.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Expert Reply
EPGPIIMB wrote:
arushi2103 wrote:

Please adhere to the word limit that is mentioned in the application guidelines. Anything additional will not be considered by the admission committee. All of us in the current batch were able to highlight our achievements, goals and motivation for MBA within the required word limit; hence, i am sure that if you write judicially and spend enough time to make the SOP concise you will be able to manage quite well.
Wishing you the best for your application.

Just to add to that - This is the reason you should iterate your SoP several times - the 1000 word essays of the old days had more loosely worded language, because people did not have to work on tightening their scripts.

Say less, but with impact.
Send PM
Expert Reply
IIMB ‎EPGP‬ ‪- ‎StudentsSpeak‬ Series:

Here is what Abhinav Kashyap, EPGP 2015-2016 student has to say:
"My experience is predominantly in B2B (Business to Business) and B2C (Business to Customer) sales for the high-end segment of the real estate industry. Attending the EPGP course at IIM, Bangalore has been one of the best decisions. The sheer depth of experience and wealth of knowledge that one is exposed to, in the form of the faculty and peers is truly unmatched. The lucid mix of academic classroom learning, case-based study approach, insightful projects and hearty peer interaction is exemplary. The EPGP classroom is nothing short of a sea of experience where there is as much to learn outside the classroom, as much as there is inside. The course is an excellent launchpad for managers looking for that shift which differentiates them from others and prepares them to be business leaders of the future."
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello All,

Need help on Profile evaluation vis-a-vis IIMB's EPGP program for interview shortlist

Brief description

Male, 32, ~ 9 years WE (Healthcare equipment design & development, basically product development with Philips Healthcare and GE Healthcare)

B.Tech ( Mechanical) IIT
MS (Mechanical design) Europe, scholarship by European commission

GMAT 700 (This score is iffy... neither great nor bad.. want your opinion regarding interview shortlist chances)
Understand that GMAT combined with SOPs and Recommendations will matter but still based on current student mix, how bright are my chances for being shortlisted for an interview?

Goal after EPGP is to join a product development firm in techno-managerial/techno-commercial role
Send PM
Expert Reply
Gyaanbhikshu wrote:
Hello All,

Need help on Profile evaluation vis-a-vis IIMB's EPGP program for interview shortlist

Brief description

Male, 32, ~ 9 years WE (Healthcare equipment design & development, basically product development with Philips Healthcare and GE Healthcare)

B.Tech ( Mechanical) IIT
MS (Mechanical design) Europe, scholarship by European commission

GMAT 700 (This score is iffy... neither great nor bad.. want your opinion regarding interview shortlist chances)
Understand that GMAT combined with SOPs and Recommendations will matter but still based on current student mix, how bright are my chances for being shortlisted for an interview?

Goal after EPGP is to join a product development firm in techno-managerial/techno-commercial role

Hi, considering the educational qualification, experience and GMAT your profile looks competitive. I would advice you to apply. Since, admission decisions depend on profiles of other applicants, it is not possible to assess chances of any individual.
Send PM
Expert Reply
IIMB Director, Dr. Sushil Vachani is addressing management education aspirants in San Francisco on 8th Aug 2015

Admission to the event is free but Registration is mandatory.

Registration link: https://iimberpsrv.iimb.ernet.in/prod/szkprsp.sfshow
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi - Can you suggest who can be referred for recommendation letter, peer - immediate manager - end client? Any thoughts will be helpful.
Send PM
Expert Reply
prabhakar16 wrote:
Hi - Can you suggest who can be referred for recommendation letter, peer - immediate manager - end client? Any thoughts will be helpful.

Any of the above can provide a referral, but my advice would be to get it from a person senior to you (manager or client) who has good insight into your experience/achievements and can provide a detailed assessment of your capabilities.
Also, note that a detailed referral from your immediate manager/client would be more effective than a generic one from a very senior person whom you haven't directly worked with.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi,

I have couple of queries.

1. How can I distinguish between core and elective courses on the website. I was not able to do it.
2. Is there a separate section to detail about international experience or is it just the radio button (Y,N) that needs to be selected?

Thanks,
Prashant
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts