GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jun 2018, 18:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Olin/Tippie/Boston U/HEC Paris/McGill/Schulich/Manchester

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.75
WE: General Management (Commercial Banking)
Olin/Tippie/Boston U/HEC Paris/McGill/Schulich/Manchester [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2016, 00:20
Dear All,

I've secured admits from the following schools:

1. Olin with a scholarship of $40000 including all semesters (Cost of Tuition: $107000)

2. Boston University with a scholarship of $70000 (Cost of Tuition: $95000)

3. Tippie with a Scholarship and Graduate Teaching Assistance covering my entire tuition fees

4. HEC Paris with a scholarship of 8000 Euros (Cost of Tuition: 56000 Euros)

5. Manchester Business School with a scholarship of 20000 GBP (Cost of Tuition: 41000 GBP)

6. McGill with a scholarship of 20000 CAD (Cost of Tuition: 80000 CAD)

7. Schulich (Cost of Tuition: 89000 CAD) The scholarship decision is yet to come but I am really hopeful considering the feedback on my profile during the interview process

I have an overall work-ex of 6.5 years, 1 year as a Chemical Engineer, 1 year as the Head of Community Development & Outreach in a local NGO and 4.5 years in Banking and Financial Services. Presently, I am employed as a Branch Manager at Union Bank of India in West Bengal, India.

My post MBA goal is to move into Consulting and I intend to join a global consulting firm within its strategy and operations practices. I want to keep my options open of continuing in Banking and Financial services domain by joining a Management Associate Development program in a large bank. However, I don't want to compromise on my long term goal of coming back to India and work for the development of Indian SMEs through consulting / banking.

My priorities are as follows:

1. Ability to work abroad for a few years to gain valuable global experience that can boost my CV and help me pay off my education loan

2. Cost of the program (Tuition + Living + Opportunity Cost) since I have opted to finance my studies through loan and family savings

3. Brand / Reputation / Ranking of the school

4. Strength of Alumni network in various parts of the world

I urge all my friends on this forum to voice honest opinions help me finalize my decision.
SVP
SVP
P
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Olin/Tippie/Boston U/HEC Paris/McGill/Schulich/Manchester [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2016, 04:42
Congrats for admit. Now you became global student to secure admit from 4 countries :-D . I will try to throw my 2 cents.

When I think which to rule out, I will start to think in post mba opportunities in that country.

1- France is really expensive and you need to be fluent in French to continue live there. The French economy suffers a lot. The unemployment rate is high.

2- UK imposed new rules that make employment tough and unfavorable after graduation. So companies and corp's are reluctant to sponsor any international students.

3- Canada now welcomes new immigrants due to the new government. You need to check the immigration rules and laws for graduate students because Canada keeps changing its rules. However, the economy is not that good. My friends and relatives talk a lot about getting jobs. Both schools possess great reputation inside Canada.

4- Actually that live you with USA which actually, an MBA make real change in career.

In light of ranking Olin is much higher than Boston and Tippie. In terms of quality of education, Olin has more reputation than Boston and Tippie.

Actually, Tippie is some kind of isolation school which is not known for management consulting or IB. On the other hand, being in Boston means you are close to many financial services and IB but with fierce competition with Columbia, Stern, Wharton and other big schools. In its Employment report, only 11 % went to financial service and can't see any IB. Regarding consulting, 25% went to consulting. It seems 2nd Tier (Deloitte and pwc).

In Olin, 11% went to consulting and only 4% went to IB.

The above represents my view. There are other consideration such your financial ability and loans (think in H1B visa). Also, it is up you desire to where to live and work. In terms of alumni, I think that Manchaster may have alumni in your country in case you would like to return. You should ask or search for it. Also, I advise you to approach student sin Boston and Olin and ask them about the opportunities and difficulties.

I know it is complex decision but this is life.

P.S. i have attached employment reports for Boston and Olin

good luck.
Attachments

Olin_Employment.pdf [1.32 MiB]
Downloaded 32 times

To download please login or register as a user

BU_FT-MBA-Class-of-2015-Employment-Report.pdf [681.47 KiB]
Downloaded 31 times

To download please login or register as a user

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 620 Q36 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
Re: Olin/Tippie/Boston U/HEC Paris/McGill/Schulich/Manchester [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2016, 22:14
Those are some really impressive results. It's great to know what kind of scholarships are offered and how they compare to tuition. Thanks for sharing.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
WE: Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2016, 11:25
So have you decided on where to matriculate?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2016, 11:26
I'm going to hec

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2016, 11:27
Montréal

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2016, 19:47
Thank you all for your inputs and special thanks to Mo2men for detailed feedback.

I haven't really been able to decide. I was bedridden for a month due to Jaundice but now it's high time to decide. I've said no to HEC (tough one but couldn't manage the expenses), Tippie, Boston and Schulich. This leaves me with 3 options, i.e. Manchester, McGill and Olin.

1. Manchester seems most feasible when it comes to finances. I approached Prodigy Finance and have been provisionally approved of a loan of 35 L. The cost of tuition minus the scholarship comes around 21 L. I can use the rest towards my living plus I will save something from UK Consultancy Projects and Internships. The drawback is UKBA's policies for international students. They have recently raised the salary threshold levels for securing tier 2 visa from 20000 GBP to 35000 GBP and then there are uncertainties over UK leaving EU. Returning to India immediately after graduation is a big no-no for me.

2. McGill seems expensive considering the amount of loan I have been approved of initially. I will have to fund 8L for tuition plus the living expenses from my own pocket. However, the ease of staying in the country for 2-3 years post graduation is a big draw for me.

3. Olin seems the best choice for me when it comes to rankings and employment data but it also happens to be the most expensive school in the list. The tuition per year is $55000 minus $20000 scholarship. So it comes around $35000 per year for tuition. Now Olin has offered a loan for international students covering 100% of tuition fees in both years.If I take out the loan, I would have to fund my living expenses only from my pocket. From Olin's website, it appears the cost of living for a student is $22000 a year but I really doubt it's that expensive in Missouri.

I welcome inputs from my friends while I make the decision. Phew it's a hard one to make ....:(
SVP
SVP
P
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2016, 20:21
sayandeepbasak1 wrote:
Thank you all for your inputs and special thanks to Mo2men for detailed feedback.

I haven't really been able to decide. I was bedridden for a month due to Jaundice but now it's high time to decide. I've said no to HEC (tough one but couldn't manage the expenses), Tippie, Boston and Schulich. This leaves me with 3 options, i.e. Manchester, McGill and Olin.

1. Manchester seems most feasible when it comes to finances. I approached Prodigy Finance and have been provisionally approved of a loan of 35 L. The cost of tuition minus the scholarship comes around 21 L. I can use the rest towards my living plus I will save something from UK Consultancy Projects and Internships. The drawback is UKBA's policies for international students. They have recently raised the salary threshold levels for securing tier 2 visa from 20000 GBP to 35000 GBP and then there are uncertainties over UK leaving EU. Returning to India immediately after graduation is a big no-no for me.

2. McGill seems expensive considering the amount of loan I have been approved of initially. I will have to fund 8L for tuition plus the living expenses from my own pocket. However, the ease of staying in the country for 2-3 years post graduation is a big draw for me.

3. Olin seems the best choice for me when it comes to rankings and employment data but it also happens to be the most expensive school in the list. The tuition per year is $55000 minus $20000 scholarship. So it comes around $35000 per year for tuition. Now Olin has offered a loan for international students covering 100% of tuition fees in both years.If I take out the loan, I would have to fund my living expenses only from my pocket. From Olin's website, it appears the cost of living for a student is $22000 a year but I really doubt it's that expensive in Missouri.

I welcome inputs from my friends while I make the decision. Phew it's a hard one to make ....:(

Based on your great analysis above, I would rule out Manchester. I did not know that they raised the min salary to 35,000. It seems they want to close doors. Coupled with EU situation, it makes it hard to think about being in UK

Although I prefer Oiln, it seems it is too expensive for you. Also, H1B visa is an issue now. So I vote for Canada. I would choose to secure place to work in for 2-3 years. In all cases you need to work hard to network and secure offers.

Good luck
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
WE: Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2016, 04:40
35000 GBP is not that much. If after your MBA you can't even secure a job that pays 35000 GBP then there must be something wrong with your MBA. I wouldn't rule out UK just because of that. This increase in salary impacts more for fresh graduates without any work exp.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2016, 19:43
From what I understood, if you went to Olin, you'd live in Missouri? I don't think you can compare that to Montreal... I'd also like to add that Montreal has abnormally cheap housing costs for a big city and it's an amazing city. Sadly the McGill MBA pre-arranged financing is only available to Canadian citizens and permanent residents.

I've also lived in manchester and that could be fun too.
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2016, 06:44
@Mo2men..I agree with you on the fact that McGill would be the safest bet considering Canada's welcoming policies for international students. However, I have to fund a part of tuition fees as well as the entire living costs if I choose McGill and that would be a tough ask!!! Olin, albeit a lot costlier, seems feasible since I have the option to fund my entire tuition fees from Olin's loan for international students. I admit that I have to repay it @10% interest rate but at least I won't have to shell out the expenses from my own pocket at this moment.

@greenzie..You're bang on saying that the min threshold salary for securing Tier 2 in UK is way less than the avg salary of a Manchester MBA graduate but I think I am feeling jittery because of a host of other policies adopted by the UK govt, for eg, introducing a mandatory English test for dependents, introducing a Regional Labor market Test (RLMT) for students seeking employment in the UK and introducing higher fees for companies that intend to sponsor non-EU candidates for Tier 2 visa. Of course, one can argue that English test would not be an issue for my well educated wife, MBAs are exempt from RLMT and companies won't refrain from sponsoring candidates because of a hike to the tune of 1000 GBP a year but all these policies do not quite augur well for an individual going to UK from a non-EU nation. These policies give an impression that UK wants to retain the very best only and that's absolutely plausible but there's a feeling among us (especially Indians) that the UKBA is going overboard. So I am feeling a little less secured about Manchester right now. It was my top option at the beginning and I have paid an initial deposit of 2000 GBP as well but now I am giving it a second thought.

@WayneHam...I won't compare St. Louis with Montreal or Manchester. Montreal still is the financial powerhouse of Canada and it's a beautiful city to live in. Manchester is a nice place to stay as well. St. Louis is a student city. I'm not contemplating on spending my rest of the life in Missouri. To be honest, the place of study matters less to me than the brand of the school and career outcomes. I considered Olin ahead of McGill purely on the basis of my financial resources.
SVP
SVP
P
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2016, 07:38
Congratulations for Olin.

i wish you successful MBA journey.
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2016, 05:02
Would choose Canada
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2018, 16:18
hey guys,

I need some input from your side to decide on my MBA school.
I have admission offers:-
1. Alliance Manchester Business School with no scholarship in the UK.
My prodigy loan application is in progress for 43000 GBP.

2. Washu Olin MBA with a scholarship of 75000$ in the USA.
I will be taking loan from college for the rest amount ie 44000$

My priority is to get placement because I cannot go back to India after completing my degree.
I have 7 years of work ex and currently in the USA on H4 visa. I am an Indian citizen.

As per my calculation, the overall difference between my loan amount would be around 10 lakh INR which is no big difference.
Please help me out to decide which would be the best for me to get placed in a reputed firm and I can easily get my visa sponsorship.

Thanks
BSchool Forum Moderator
D
GRE 1: 323 Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2018, 22:53
engr.ritusharma@gmail.com wrote:
hey guys,

I need some input from your side to decide on my MBA school.
I have admission offers:-
1. Alliance Manchester Business School with no scholarship in the UK.
My prodigy loan application is in progress for 43000 GBP.

2. Washu Olin MBA with a scholarship of 75000$ in the USA.
I will be taking loan from college for the rest amount ie 44000$

My priority is to get placement because I cannot go back to India after completing my degree.
I have 7 years of work ex and currently in the USA on H4 visa. I am an Indian citizen.

As per my calculation, the overall difference between my loan amount would be around 10 lakh INR which is no big difference.
Please help me out to decide which would be the best for me to get placed in a reputed firm and I can easily get my visa sponsorship.

Thanks

OLIN!
OLIN!
OLIN!

I see all the fuss around H1b and I too will be matriculating this year with some degree of uncertainty. But hell, OLIN is an outstanding school.
See, no one can guarantee that H1B of the UK E-visa post your MBA. Whatever happens, you will still have an OLIN MBA and a much better change of securing an H1B if you get into a great company. By going to Olin, you are giving yourself a great chance to do that.

All the best :cool: :thumbup:

MBA Financing:- INDIAN PUBLIC BANKS vs PRODIGY FINANCE!

Getting into HOLLYWOOD with an MBA!

The MOST AFFORDABLE MBA programs!

STONECOLD's BRUTAL Mock Tests for GMAT-Quant(700+)

AVERAGE GRE Scores At The Top Business Schools!

Re: Olin/Tippie/Boston U/HEC Paris/McGill/Schulich/Manchester   [#permalink] 08 Jun 2018, 22:53

Olin/Tippie/Boston U/HEC Paris/McGill/Schulich/Manchester

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: teleste, Wilch, jessepinkman

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap