It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 04:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

One report concludes that many schools do not have, or likely to have,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 285 [3], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
One report concludes that many schools do not have, or likely to have, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2009, 02:49
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

50% (00:33) correct 50% (00:29) wrong based on 790 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

One report concludes that many schools do not have, or likely to have, enough computers to use them effectively.

(A) or
(B) nor
(C) or are
(D) nor are they
(E) nor are not

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I am stuck between (B) and (D)..Does 'they' in option (D) refer to schools..i think 'nor are' is better than 'nor'
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by hazelnut on 25 Aug 2017, 04:07, edited 2 times in total.
Added OA

Kudos [?]: 285 [3], given: 4

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 383 [1], given: 106

WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Re: One report concludes that many schools do not have, or likely to have, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2009, 02:54
This post received
KUDOS
With D, there will be ambiguity created between 'they' and 'them', used for computers in the last.

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Kudos [?]: 383 [1], given: 106

3 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 919 [3], given: 56

WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Re: One report concludes that many schools do not have, or likely to have, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2009, 03:23
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
sanoasis wrote:
One report concludes that many schools do not have, or likely to have, enough computers to use them effectively.

A) or
B) nor
C) or are
D) nor are they
E) nor are not

I am stuck between (B) and (D)..Does 'they' in option (D) refer to schools..i think 'nor are' is better than 'nor'

Agree with you. Correct answer should be D..

A and C are out for using "or", which should be replaced with "nor"
E is out for using "nor" and "not" together

B. is out for not maintaining parallelism. The first part is "many schools do not have", where "do" is the verb in simple present tense. Whereas the 2nd part "many schools... likely to have" have no verb, it just has "to have" which is in infinitive form.

D. Maintains parallelism. In the 2nd part - "nor are they likely to have" - "are" is the verb used in simple present.
"They" correctly refers to "many schools" as there is no other subject here, and "they" cannot refer to "one report".

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Kudos [?]: 919 [3], given: 56

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 246 [1], given: 87

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2011, 05:38
This post received
KUDOS
I still do not understand why is B wrong here?Can someone please explain?

Kudos [?]: 246 [1], given: 87

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Status: He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever

Kudos [?]: 8 [1], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2011, 08:44
This post received
KUDOS
Agree with D.

B. is out for not maintaining parallelism. The first part is "many schools do not have", where "do" is the verb in simple present tense. Whereas the 2nd part "many schools... likely to have" have no verb, it just has "to have" which is in infinitive form.

D. Maintains parallelism. In the 2nd part - "nor are they likely to have" - "are" is the verb used in simple present.
"They" correctly refers to "many schools" as there is no other subject here, and "they" cannot refer to "one report".

Kudos [?]: 8 [1], given: 2

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2011, 03:43
Can nor be used without neither???
If there is an explanation is some other thread, plz do share it or do reply..

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 601 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2012, 13:27

A) or
B) nor
C) or are
D) nor are they
E) nor are not

stuck between B and D.

Is this question testing parallelism as"or likely to have" is in commas. so it is extra information. please explain

Kudos [?]: 601 [0], given: 2

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 46

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2012, 14:45
I'll go with B.

D) nor are they >> adds one more pronoun to original sentence and makes it confusing.

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 46

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 24

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2012, 14:56
of course there shoud be "be" particle near likely
thay do not have nor likely - meaningless

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 24

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 55

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2012, 01:46
For me this one is quite confusing so i did a lil search and found this explanation. Hope this helps

First of All , Or and Nor indicates parallelism.

But in the choices : A ) , B ) and C ) we do not even have a subject in the second part of the sentence.

Also Choices A) and B ) do not have a tensed verb.( As Ron Explained )

Choice E ) is ruled out because of double negation.

Also we can think that the first part of the sentence is having something negative. So Nor should preferable come in the second part of the sentence and not Or.

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/one ... 13-15.html

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 55

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 2405

GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 5: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 6: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 7: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT 8: 730 Q50 V39

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2014, 15:08
D: Correct conjunction and has a subject and Verb

AB: no subject or Verb
C: no subject
E: no subject

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 2405

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 391

Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V27
GPA: 1.9
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2016, 21:05
bigoyal wrote:
sanoasis wrote:

A) or
B) nor
C) or are
D) nor are they
E) nor are not

In my view, nor is also correct because I can say that 'i do not have nor likely to have in future.
please some expert give opinion on this.

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 391

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3518 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2016, 01:16
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
robu wrote:
bigoyal wrote:
sanoasis wrote:

A) or
B) nor
C) or are
D) nor are they
E) nor are not

In my view, nor is also correct because I can say that 'i do not have nor likely to have in future.
please some expert give opinion on this.

It is allowed to omit certain parts from the second element of a parralell structure only if that part has already been stated in the first element.

The original structure is:

many schools do not have nor they are likely to have

Here the first element of parallelism is: many schools do not have
Second element: they are likely to have.

Connector: nor

The verb in the first element is " do have"
The verb in the second element is "are"

Since the verb is different in the second element, it cannot be omitted.

Kudos [?]: 3518 [0], given: 22

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2016, 01:05
smashingpumpkins wrote:

A) or
B) nor
C) or are
D) nor are they
E) nor are not

i think this is most beautiful question from gmat because it is hard though basic.

why c is wrong?
because preceding "not" can not be applied to second part of comparison.

i do not speak or write english at the exam
is correct sentence

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 916

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 379 [0], given: 36

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2016, 02:55
smashingpumpkins wrote:

A) or
B) nor
C) or are
D) nor are they
E) nor are not

Simple of coordinating conjunctions :- FANBOYS - for, and, nor, because, or, yet ,so
A Coordinating conjunction introduces 2 independent clauses.
Clauses by definition should have independent subjects. and also independent verb(although not parallel but still a verb is present in the second clause)

Therefore the problem is that there should be a PROPER SUBJECT in the second clause.

Only D has the proper subject "THEY". "THEM" in the NON-Underlined part refers back to "THEY"

REST ALL OPTIONS A,B,C,E are missing the subject. "THEM" in the NON-Underlined part has no subject to refer back to.

ANSWER IS D

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Director
Director

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2016, 02:58

Simple of coordinating conjunctions :- FANBOYS - for, and, nor, because, or, yet ,so
Clauses by definition should have independent subjects. and also independent verb(although not parallel but still a verb is present in the second clause)

Therefore the problem is absence of a PROPER SUBJECT in the second clause.

Only D has the proper subject "THEY". "THEM" in the NON-Underlined part refers back to "THEY"

REST ALL OPTIONS A,B,C,E are missing the subject. "THEM" in the NON-Underlined part has no subject to refer back to.

ANSWER IS D

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 541

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 10:02
smashingpumpkins wrote:

A) or
B) nor
C) or are
D) nor are they
E) nor are not

Imo D

We need nor as per the structure of the sentence .
For example we do not complete the given work on time nor are we going to .

A use of is wrong
B we need subject before nor
C or are is wrong
D correct
E redundant for using nor and not

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 541

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Affiliations: NA

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 57

GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2017, 05:21
LogicGuru1 wrote:

ANSWER IS D

Hi,
Are you sure 'them' is referring to 'they' here. As per the meaning of the sentence 'them' should refer to the 'computers' .

#If you like my post , please encourage me by giving Kudos :)

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 57

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9291 [0], given: 341

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2017, 19:28
anje29 wrote:
LogicGuru1 wrote:

ANSWER IS D

Hi,
Are you sure 'them' is referring to 'they' here. As per the meaning of the sentence 'them' should refer to the 'computers' .

Hello anje29,

I will glad to answer this one.

The plural pronoun them in the non-underlined portion of the sentence refers to plural computers and not to many schools.

It is the computers that are not used effectively.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9291 [0], given: 341

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 322 [0], given: 13

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2017, 23:46
anje29 wrote:

Hi anje29, you are correct.

them refers to computers, while they refers to schools.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Kudos [?]: 322 [0], given: 13

Re: One report concludes that many schools do not have, or likely to have,   [#permalink] 03 Aug 2017, 23:46

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 22 posts ] 

One report concludes that many schools do not have, or likely to have,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap