GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Feb 2019, 07:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
272829303112
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
242526272812
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

     February 20, 2019

     February 20, 2019

     08:00 PM EST

     09:00 PM EST

    Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. Wednesday, February 20th at 8 PM EST
  • Online GMAT boot camp for FREE

     February 21, 2019

     February 21, 2019

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    Kick off your 2019 GMAT prep with a free 7-day boot camp that includes free online lessons, webinars, and a full GMAT course access. Limited for the first 99 registrants! Feb. 21st until the 27th.

One test to determine whether a person has been infected with tubercul

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Director
Director
avatar
V
Joined: 30 Jan 2016
Posts: 928
Location: United States (MA)
Reviews Badge
One test to determine whether a person has been infected with tubercul  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 08:09
3
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

73% (02:10) correct 27% (02:14) wrong based on 352 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

One test to determine whether a person has been infected with tuberculosis consists of injecting the person with proteins extracted from the tuberculosis bacterium. Once a person has been infected by a bacterium, the person’s immune system subsequently recognizes certain proteins present in that bacterium and attacks the bacterium. This recognition also takes place in the test and results in a skin irritation at the injection site. Hence the physicians who designed the test reasoned that anyone who reacts in this manner to an injection with the tuberculosis proteins has been infected with tuberculosis.

Which one of the following is an assumption on which the physicians’ reasoning depends?

(A) All of the proteins present in disease-causing bacteria can be recognized by the body’s immune system.

(B) Localized skin irritations are a characteristic symptom of tuberculosis in most people.

(C) The ability of the proteins present in the tuberculosis bacterium to trigger the skin irritation is exclusive to that bacterium.

(D) Some people who have been injected with proteins extracted from the tuberculosis bacterium will contract tuberculosis as a result of the injection.

(E) The body’s immune system cannot recognize infectious bacteria unless there are sufficient quantities of the bacteria to cause overt symptoms of disease.

Source: LSAT

_________________

Non progredi est regredi

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7334
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: One test to determine whether a person has been infected with tubercul  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 08:48
Akela wrote:
One test to determine whether a person has been infected with tuberculosis consists of injecting the person with proteins extracted from the tuberculosis bacterium. Once a person has been infected by a bacterium, the person’s immune system subsequently recognizes certain proteins present in that bacterium and attacks the bacterium. This recognition also takes place in the test and results in a skin irritation at the injection site. Hence the physicians who designed the test reasoned that anyone who reacts in this manner to an injection with the tuberculosis proteins has been infected with tuberculosis.

Which one of the following is an assumption on which the physicians’ reasoning depends?

(A) All of the proteins present in disease-causing bacteria can be recognized by the body’s immune system.

(B) Localized skin irritations are a characteristic symptom of tuberculosis in most people.

(C) The ability of the proteins present in the tuberculosis bacterium to trigger the skin irritation is exclusive to that bacterium.

(D) Some people who have been injected with proteins extracted from the tuberculosis bacterium will contract tuberculosis as a result of the injection.

(E) The body’s immune system cannot recognize infectious bacteria unless there are sufficient quantities of the bacteria to cause overt symptoms of disease.

Source: LSAT



HI..

lets see the reasoning of PARA
A person affected from tuberculosis if injected with proteins extracted from the BACTERIUM will result in skin irritations at the injected location

what could be the flaw in reasoning - No other event can lead to this type of irritation..
so this FLAW otherwise could be the VERY assumption the author has taken

C correctly rephrases the flaw and gives the assumption. If we negate it, the reasoning will fail as shown by flaw..
C
_________________

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html
4) Base while finding % increase and % decrease : https://gmatclub.com/forum/percentage-increase-decrease-what-should-be-the-denominator-287528.html


GMAT Expert

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 22 May 2017
Posts: 120
Re: One test to determine whether a person has been infected with tubercul  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 18:52
Clearly as you read the para
You know that author is assuming skin irritation is caused only due to TB bacteria

C states that

Posted from my mobile device
_________________

Kudos please if explanation helped
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't stop when you are tired , stop when you are DONE .

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 01 Feb 2015
Posts: 73
Re: One test to determine whether a person has been infected with tubercul  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 19:43
chetan2u wrote:
Akela wrote:
One test to determine whether a person has been infected with tuberculosis consists of injecting the person with proteins extracted from the tuberculosis bacterium. Once a person has been infected by a bacterium, the person’s immune system subsequently recognizes certain proteins present in that bacterium and attacks the bacterium. This recognition also takes place in the test and results in a skin irritation at the injection site. Hence the physicians who designed the test reasoned that anyone who reacts in this manner to an injection with the tuberculosis proteins has been infected with tuberculosis.

Which one of the following is an assumption on which the physicians’ reasoning depends?

(A) All of the proteins present in disease-causing bacteria can be recognized by the body’s immune system.

(B) Localized skin irritations are a characteristic symptom of tuberculosis in most people.

(C) The ability of the proteins present in the tuberculosis bacterium to trigger the skin irritation is exclusive to that bacterium.

(D) Some people who have been injected with proteins extracted from the tuberculosis bacterium will contract tuberculosis as a result of the injection.

(E) The body’s immune system cannot recognize infectious bacteria unless there are sufficient quantities of the bacteria to cause overt symptoms of disease.

Source: LSAT



HI..

lets see the reasoning of PARA
A person affected from tuberculosis if injected with proteins extracted from the BACTERIUM will result in skin irritations at the injected location

what could be the flaw in reasoning - No other event can lead to this type of irritation..
so this FLAW otherwise could be the VERY assumption the author has taken

C correctly rephrases the flaw and gives the assumption. If we negate it, the reasoning will fail as shown by flaw..
C

If A and B are negated, even then the conclusion fails to prove its point. Can you please explain why option A and B are incorrect answers to this question?
Current Student
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Jan 2016
Posts: 44
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management
Schools: Tuck '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Re: One test to determine whether a person has been infected with tubercul  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 08:27
1
nk05 wrote:
Why is B wrong?


We're trying to find an assumption that backs up the following claim:

If a patient is injected with the tuberculosis protein AND that patient experiences a skin irritation at the injection site THEN they must have tuberculosis.


(A) All of the proteins present in disease-causing bacteria can be recognized by the body’s immune system. No mention of the skin irritation

(B) Localized skin irritations are a characteristic symptom of tuberculosis in most people. Vague mention of skin irritations and its effect on most people. This choice does not mention the tuberculosis protein being the root of the irritation but could be an irritation caused by anything.

(C) The ability of the proteins present in the tuberculosis bacterium to trigger the skin irritation is exclusive to that bacterium. Supports our If-Then statement that the irritation is caused exclusively by the injected tuberculosis protein

(D) Some people who have been injected with proteins extracted from the tuberculosis bacterium will contract tuberculosis as a result of the injection. Out of scope. There's no mention that the injection causes tuberculosis.

(E) The body’s immune system cannot recognize infectious bacteria unless there are sufficient quantities of the bacteria to cause overt symptoms of disease. Out of scope. Question is looking for an assumption around the protein injection and a skin irritation.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 29 Jul 2018
Posts: 109
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: One test to determine whether a person has been infected with tubercul  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2018, 21:41
use negation is option c
if it is not exclusive then it will weaken the conclusion.
Intern
Intern
avatar
S
Joined: 16 Feb 2012
Posts: 45
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V33
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: One test to determine whether a person has been infected with tubercul  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2018, 22:09
manjot123 wrote:
use negation is option c
if it is not exclusive then it will weaken the conclusion.
Absolutely, however,it will not weaken the conclusion but infact break it altogether.

Thanks !
Please consider pressing Kudos if my response helped you in any way !
GMAT Club Bot
Re: One test to determine whether a person has been infected with tubercul   [#permalink] 08 Oct 2018, 22:09
Display posts from previous: Sort by

One test to determine whether a person has been infected with tubercul

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.