Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2427 [26]
Given Kudos: 1131
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [11]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
General Discussion
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [3]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [3]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: Opening with tributes to jazz-age divas like Bessie Smith and closing [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:
Hi generis AjiteshArun VeritasKarishma GMATNinja

Being a non-native speaker, I can't trust myself to recall first/third person pronoun under stressed condition
for correctly using shall/ will.
Can I take help of level of certainty or intended meaning to choose between will/shall?
I really don't think the GMAT will ask you to choose between will and shall these days. I've seen shall itself in just a few questions, all old.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 481 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Re: Opening with tributes to jazz-age divas like Bessie Smith and closing [#permalink]
Kudos
What I can gather from this sentence is

The description of how the program will go is described in the sentence
"The program "need to come after comma to make

b/W A and B
as program description is there So "will" is used as there is certainity about how program goes
Using "shall" would suggest may be /may not be scenario
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Will or shall, I doubt whether a review or report of a program is ever done in a future tense. One may see that it is chronicle covering half a century.
A, B, C, and E can be discarded. D is perhaps the best among the lot, although, the subject, the program, could have been immediately introduced after the modifier rather than through an expletive 'it is a program. '

I am unable to decipher the intent of GMAC in those days in this question.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [1]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Kudos
sudarshan22 wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 3: Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Opening with tributes to jazz-age divas like Bessie Smith and closing with Koko Taylor’s electrified gravel-and-thunder songs, the program will trace the blues’ vigorous matriarchal line over more than 50 years.

(A) the program will trace
(B) the program shall trace
(C) there will be a program tracing
(D) it is a program that traces
(E) it will be a program tracing

The best/excellent answers get kudos. There can be no best answer, or a few excellent answers!

I will go with D option :grin: because

using future tense is illogical in my opinion here, cause future tense changes the meaning and it is not correct , "over more than 50 years" it means the program iincludes elements that were used for the last 50 years.

So opening with X and closing with Y it is the program that features vigorous matriarchal line over more than 50 years.

D :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Given Kudos: 288
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
Kudos
sudarshan22 wrote:

Opening with tributes to jazz-age divas like Bessie Smith and closing with Koko Taylor’s electrified gravel-and-thunder songs, the program will trace the blues’ vigorous matriarchal line over more than 50 years.

The best/excellent answers get kudos. There can be no best answer, or a few excellent answers!

C,D and E modifier problem
Now left with A and B
shall is used with first person
So A is left
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Send PM
daagh wrote:
Will or shall, I doubt whether a review or report of a program is ever done in a future tense. One may see that it is chronicle covering half a century.
A, B, C, and E can be discarded. D is perhaps the best among the lot, although, the subject, the program, could have been immediately introduced after the modifier rather than through an expletive 'it is a program. '

Can you please brief why future tense it illogical in A and B
Moreover in D there is modifier error ?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20713 [2]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Kudos
sudarshan22 wrote:

https://timesmachine.nytimes.com/timesmachine/1980/06/29/111793477.html?pageNumber=297
Attachments

111793477.pdf [341.63 KiB]
Downloaded 67 times

01.png
01.png [ 31.97 KiB | Viewed 14698 times ]

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [0]
Send PM
hazelnut wrote:
sudarshan22 wrote:

https://timesmachine.nytimes.com/timesmachine/1980/06/29/111793477.html?pageNumber=297

I dont get how B can be a correct answer and why D cant be correct answer :?

Here is a similar example:

Starting in Sao Paulo and finishing in Kuala Lumpur, it is a journey that features unique experiences for a traveller

What wrong`s with my sentence ? :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Send PM
dave13 wrote:
hazelnut wrote:
sudarshan22 wrote:

I dont get how B can be a correct answer and why D cant be correct answer :?

Here is a similar example:

Starting in Sao Paulo and finishing in Kuala Lumpur, it is a journey that features unique experiences for a traveller

What wrong`s with my sentence ? :)

What is starting and finishing ? A journey
We don't need it is a journey
VP
VP
Send PM
daagh wrote:

I also agree with daagh s statement that "I doubt whether a review or report of a program is ever done in a future tense"
VP
VP
Send PM
teaserbae wrote:

What is starting and finishing ? A journey
We don't need it is a journey

thanks for your efforts to explain but i dont really get your explanation :)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2427 [2]
Given Kudos: 1131
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos