GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 May 2019, 01:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Optional Essay Question

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Essays   

Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 670 Q42 V40
GPA: 3.1
Optional Essay Question  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 09:05
I am looking to apply to business schools this fall, and I had a question on whether I should submit the optional essay with my applications.

The reason I would be writing it is to talk about a Masters Program at Columbia University that I DID NOT complete. Here is the breakdown:

In Dec. of 2014 I made the transition from Bus Dev at Small recruiting firm, to Nike. When I started at Nike I was a store associate. I did this because I was not happy at the other job, and I realized I needed to do something I was passionate about. However, I knew I could handle much more than just a store sales associate, and because I love sport and exercise, I decided to apply to the Applied Physiology. I got in and started the program in the Fall of 2015. About halfway through that semester I got a promotion at Nike. So, after that semester I took the next one off to focus on the new role. Once I had a good understanding and routine in the new role, I went back to classes in the Fall of 2016. Again, halfway through that semester I got a promotion. I again finished out the semester, but decided to take the next one off. This time however, I found that I was doing a job I loved with a company I loved, and felt like I had a great career building at Nike. So instead of going back for another semester, I decided to pass on the Columbia Program, and focus on the GMAT and getting into business school. I know that the education from an MBA would greatly help my career in the business world, and want to see myself grow in the function I am currently in.

Two things I will add:
1. My GPA over 6 classes (3 per semester) was a 3.7 and that was while working full time.
2. I have the GI Bill from my time in the Army, so cost of the program was not a concern when I applied.

It would be great to get some advice on whether this warrants an optional essay. I don't want to be looked at as a quitter. The reason for not completing was to save my GI Bill and put it towards a MBA program.

Thank you in advance!
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Optional Essay Question  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 08:52
I think it makes sense to use optional essay to explain your unfinished masters program. You are also welcome to take opinion from MBA experts in our upcoming open MBA chat... https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmatclub-mba ... 41709.html
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 15:28
lwjustin wrote:
I am looking to apply to business schools this fall, and I had a question on whether I should submit the optional essay with my applications.

The reason I would be writing it is to talk about a Masters Program at Columbia University that I DID NOT complete. Here is the breakdown:
This all sounds reasonable- and I think you can make this a little shorter- but say the jist of this in the optional essay. I would not worry about it.
In Dec. of 2014 I made the transition from Bus Dev at Small recruiting firm, to Nike. When I started at Nike I was a store associate. I did this because I was not happy at the other job, and I realized I needed to do something I was passionate about. However, I knew I could handle much more than just a store sales associate, and because I love sport and exercise, I decided to apply to the Applied Physiology. I got in and started the program in the Fall of 2015. About halfway through that semester I got a promotion at Nike. So, after that semester I took the next one off to focus on the new role. Once I had a good understanding and routine in the new role, I went back to classes in the Fall of 2016. Again, halfway through that semester I got a promotion. I again finished out the semester, but decided to take the next one off. This time however, I found that I was doing a job I loved with a company I loved, and felt like I had a great career building at Nike. So instead of going back for another semester, I decided to pass on the Columbia Program, and focus on the GMAT and getting into business school. I know that the education from an MBA would greatly help my career in the business world, and want to see myself grow in the function I am currently in.

Two things I will add:
1. My GPA over 6 classes (3 per semester) was a 3.7 and that was while working full time.
2. I have the GI Bill from my time in the Army, so cost of the program was not a concern when I applied.

It would be great to get some advice on whether this warrants an optional essay. I don't want to be looked at as a quitter. The reason for not completing was to save my GI Bill and put it towards a MBA program.

Thank you in advance!

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2017, 17:21
I would recommend you use the optional essay here. Schools always like explanation of gaps in work and school so this will help. Also, given your transcript will be unfinished an explanation will be necessary. Hopefully, your MBA career goals align with your career at Nike as well, that would sell this even more

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Optional Essay Question   [#permalink] 06 Jul 2017, 17:21

Optional Essay Question

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap