Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Which B-school to attend

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [1]
Given Kudos: 140
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Schools: Owen '21
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
Send PM
Re: Owen ($Full Ride$) vs Darden [#permalink]
100% scholarship at Owen makes it a competitive option.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.94
Send PM
Kudos
offeygurl wrote:
I have a very difficult decision to make and need help! Owen is offering me a full ride but I also got into Darden. Rankings are significant but so is a free MBA.

I'm 30 years old and work as a product manager at a life science company. I've worked as an analyst at a prestigious hedge fund, consulted in the pharma industry and currently work as a product manager at a life science company.

I ultimately want to go into VC or private equity focusing on healthcare/biotech/pharma. Which school would you pick?

Ultimately, your degree will be what you make of it, and a full ride is a compelling factor. Looking towards the statistics:

- Owen's 2017 full time employment report lists out 25% of the class headed to financial services, 10% to investment banking, negligible to Other Financial Services. Similarly, 24% of Darden goes to financial services, 15% to investment banking, 4% to Other Financial Services. Neither lists out PE or VC separately, which likely indicates a relatively limited amount of students going directly to those industries.
- Healthcare is only 4% of Darden, while representing 10% at Owen.

Accessing PE and VC directly post-school is hard, regardless of school. Your background supports a break-through if you construct your story correctly. Investment banking can offer a way to build your skills to break into PE. For VC, pursuing high-growth or high-industry specialization helps with breaking in. Mapping out concretely how you want to break in will aid your decision. Look towards these statistics, talk to the schools to see what they say, and try to find relevant alumni to support your thesis.

Hope this helps in your consideration!
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
darden. you will need to get into a top tier consulting/banking/tech job to try and do VC/PE down the road and darden gives you a much better chance
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
If you want to go into VC or private equity focusing on healthcare/biotech/pharma then Owen is a great school for your career. I agree that Darden is placed above in rankings but should ranking be the only criteria for deciding schools? If your goal had been consulting I would have said otherwise. For healthcare Owen is always a great school and that too with 100% scholarship.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts