GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Jun 2019, 00:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Oxford SBS MBA Vs Dartmouth MEM

new topic post reply Update application status  

Oxford SBS Vs Dartmouth MEM

You may select 1 option
Sloan MIT Thread Master
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q53 V36
GRE 1: Q170 V161
GPA: 3.65
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
Oxford SBS MBA Vs Dartmouth MEM  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2019, 08:51
Profile:
Indian Applicant -3 Years 10 Months Experience (~ 4 Years)
Industry: Manufacturing
Roles: Operations (2.5 Years), Internal Strategy Consulting (1 Year) + Experience as Data Scientist
Post Study Career Goal- Operations Consulting

Guys,

I am really not that into the X and Y School comparison, but I really need some insightful advice at this point of time.

I am 26, currently working as Senior Manager in the Internal Strategy & Improvement division of a diversified manufacturing firm primary in the steel business. I want to advance my career and possibly looking for a career change in operations consulting and looking for an MBA from a top school that would help me to advance my career.

My main source of funding is loan and personal savings. My preference as an MBA track would be Operations & Strategy, but consulting is also another area that I am really interested in. I am also looking for opportunities in the supply chain. Basically, I'm a career switcher and an international.

After a quick background info, here comes my question.

I am accepted at Said Business School MBA and also accepted at Dartmouth for its Masters in Engineering Management program.

I am really stuck between which decision I should make. Dartmouth MEM ? or Oxford MBA? Here are some cons and pros of each decision.

Dartmouth pros:

- Ivy League and one of the recognised program in Engineering Management
- Not MBA but good program. 3 options of tracks to choose from, one of which is Data Analytics
- Can be finished in 15 months.
- Tuition is $76k (After Scholarship it will be $47K)
- 21 months of OPT (Ability to stay longer, higher chances of H1B visa, ability to gain more experience)
- Ability to get an internship (Will be helpful to land a job)
- Can take classes from Tuck

Dartmouth Cons:

- Not an MBA
- Not sure if ~ 4 years of experience would justify my career choice (Will be on the higher end of the age and experience spectrum of the batch)

Oxford Pros:

- MBA
- Oxford Brand Value (Far trumps Dartmouth)
- International Community: Better Chance of Networking at London
- Good Strategic Consulting Program ( though I don't know how I would be placed as being both a career switcher and an international)

Oxford Cons:

- VISA Issues in the UK (Difficult to get placed as an international, Job Scenario in the UK for International is not that pleasant)
- Tuition is 73K (No Scholarship here)
- Only 6 months for job search after course completion

So, what do you think? I really really need your help!

PS: Votes with comments will be appreciated.

I understand that the comparison is not entirely one to one, however, I needed an opinion on what would allow me to reach my career goal faster? I am basically location agnostic.

Any thoughts will be appreciated?
SVP
SVP
G
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q800 V740
Re: Oxford SBS MBA Vs Dartmouth MEM  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2019, 21:33
Top Contributor
Hi sunnysourav

That's a nice problem to have :-)

Would need some more info here to help you decide:
- You are already a Data Scientist, so why is the Data Science part of the Dartmouth MEM attractive to you? There is a chance you could get into Ops Consulting from the MEM and if you do, would you then give up the need for an MBA?
- The chances of getting into Ops Consulting, frankly, from SBS, are not very high, visa issues aside. Would you be comfortable in a scenario in which you needed to return to India and were able to get into Ops Consulting here?

Awesome Work | Honest Advise | Outstanding Results

Reach Out, Lets chat!
Email: info at gyanone dot com | +91 98998 31738 | Skype: gyanone.services
Sloan MIT Thread Master
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q53 V36
GRE 1: Q170 V161
GPA: 3.65
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
Oxford SBS MBA Vs Dartmouth MEM  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2019, 23:08
GyanOne wrote:
Hi sunnysourav

- You are already a Data Scientist, so why is the Data Science part of the Dartmouth MEM attractive to you? There is a chance you could get into Ops Consulting from the MEM and if you do, would you then give up the need for an MBA?
- The chances of getting into Ops Consulting, frankly, from SBS, are not very high, visa issues aside. Would you be comfortable in a scenario in which you needed to return to India and were able to get into Ops Consulting here?

Hi GyanOne

- Data Science related courses really interest me and having worked in internal ops and strategy consulting, I believe it would be an enabler for my career. MBA after MEM is something I am pondering over since I got the two offers. I have read it is not advisable to go for the MBA after MEM since I already have ~ 4 years of experience. Having said that I believe that an MBA would be ++ even If I go to ops consulting from MEM.

- Any possibility of returning will be highly discouraging (ops consulting or otherwise) and frankly, with the loans at hand, I don't really think I would prefer ops consulting over returning to India.

GyanOne Are you open to a one on one conversation?
SVP
SVP
G
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q800 V740
Re: Oxford SBS MBA Vs Dartmouth MEM  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2019, 00:18
Top Contributor
sunnysourav wrote:
GyanOne wrote:
Hi sunnysourav

Hi GyanOne

- Data Science related courses really interest me and having worked in internal ops and strategy consulting, I believe it would be an enabler for my career. MBA after MEM is something I am pondering over since I got the two offers. I have read it is not advisable to go for the MBA after MEM since I already have ~ 4 years of experience. Having said that I believe that an MBA would be ++ even If I go to ops consulting from MEM.

- Any possibility of returning will be highly discouraging (ops consulting or otherwise) and frankly, with the loans at hand, I don't really think I would prefer ops consulting over returning to India.

GyanOne Are you open to a one on one conversation?

Hi sunnysourav

Sure. Please get in touch with us directly. A conversation might not be possible today (we get a very high number of queries), but we will prioritize it asap.

Awesome Work | Honest Advise | Outstanding Results

Reach Out, Lets chat!
Email: info at gyanone dot com | +91 98998 31738 | Skype: gyanone.services
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Oxford SBS MBA Vs Dartmouth MEM   [#permalink] 21 May 2019, 00:18

Oxford SBS MBA Vs Dartmouth MEM

new topic post reply Update application status