Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 08:40 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 08:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [4]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.5
WE:Analyst (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Calling all (UNC) Kenan-Flagler Applicants - Class of 2017 [#permalink]
Kudos
FROM Kenan- Flagler Admissions Blog: Tips for maximizing career and life success

During orientation, Markus Saba (MBA ’93), senior director of global commercialization for Lilly Diabetes at Eli Lilly and Company, addressed the Full-Time MBA Class of 2016. He offered very practical advice that, if heeded, will position students to maximize their MBA experience. Here are my takeaways:

Hold yourself accountable for achieving your goals by writing them down.

My professional background is in PR and communications, so I am no stranger to curating and completing a to-do list. However, I had not previously taken the time to explore the significance of maintaining a list, except as a mechanism to keep myself organized.

Mr. Saba extoled the practice of writing down your goals, indicating that it ultimately makes you more likely to fulfill them and predisposes you toward career success. He made me realize that the implicit value in writing things down is the sense of accountability it creates. A simple task, idea or even a lofty goal becomes both tangible and achievable once you can visualize it, and thus you feel obliged to go after it.

Involve others in your short term and long-term planning process.

Mr. Saba also indicated that the career and personal benefits derived from involving others in your planning process can be significant. After countless sessions with UNC Kenan-Flagler’s Career Management Center and feedback from my peers, I have re-examined my career and life goals thoroughly. Do I really have no location preference? Is a career in brand management exactly what I want?

Involving others when considering these important questions has helped me to gain perspective and become more confident in my direction. As a result, I have also found it easier to isolate the opportunities that match my career interests. I can see that it will be beneficial to involve future managers, peers and other stakeholders as I revisit my short and long-term plans to ensure that I remain aligned with my intended trajectory.

Recognize which resources you have and utilize them.

Though five additional hours in a day would be nice, learning to work around time limitations has motivated me to take advantage of the resources available in the form of classmates, professors, alumni and others within the UNC community. Just the other day, I rallied my study group to help me go over finance problems and they made themselves available immediately, despite competing obligations.

I know my two years in the MBA program will pass by extremely quickly, but ultimately time will not be an obstacle to accessing these resources in the future. Mr. Saba revealed that post-MBA, he continues to entrust a UNC Kenan-Flagler professor as an advisor on his most significant career and life decisions. That is the kind of relationship I think we should all seek to build during our time here.

No matter where you happen to fall in your MBA journey, I challenge you to leverage your intuition and determine how these insights can positively impact your approach to future success.

Contributed by Morghen Johnson (MBA ’16)

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi,

Does UNC give any relaxation on its application process, with regards to recommendations etc? I don't think 'senior executive' recommendation would be a true reflection.. can anybody guide?

P.S: I have already mailed on MBA Outreach id but they haven't reverted.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Would all applications at other schools be withdrawn right away if you got accepted in the early action round? Would it be right away on the decision date, which is 15 December?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Same question here. After I apply for EA round can I still withdraw before the admission decision in Dec?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.3
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
I need some guidance.
I think I'll be able to apply to only one out of Tepper and UNC. Is it true that one stands a better chance of scholarship at Kenan-Flagler than at Tepper?
Any down-sides of UNC? Is there a big difference between the rankings?

I'm a 28yo Indian male applicant. Any guidance is appreciated.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 205
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 580 Q37 V32
GMAT 2: 570 Q36 V32
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V40
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Any current students on this thread? Can someone at UNC share, which of the Admissions directors brings the Indian applicant profile to the Admissions Committee? (https://www.kenan-flagler.unc.edu/admissions/mba/requirements/admissions-committee)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
midorfeed wrote:
Same question here. After I apply for EA round can I still withdraw before the admission decision in Dec?

AFAIK - the Early Decision at KF is not binding as Duke's as in they don't tattle to other schools if you don't accept. I think it is because the EA deadline results come out in mid-december along with other school results.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBAChosen wrote:
Would all applications at other schools be withdrawn right away if you got accepted in the early action round? Would it be right away on the decision date, which is 15 December?

I decided to confirm with the admission committee and this is the answer to our question;

For Early Action, you'll have to pay a non-refundable deposit of $2,500 when you accept our admissions offer. If you decide to attend a different school after that time, you will only lose the deposit. You will have up until Jan 5th to accept the admissions offer and pay the deposit. We ask you be confident you want to come to UNC but have no way of holding you to it (except for the deposit).

Hope it clear for all of us :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
FROM Kenan- Flagler Admissions Blog: Conquering the MBA admissions essay

We asked our MBA admissions team to share their tips and advice for navigating the admissions process – starting with the essay. Here’s what they said:

DO:

• Tell your story. Our MBA admissions team reads thousands of essays each year. To make your essay memorable, tell us why you want to attend UNC Kenan-Flagler and how your past experiences have shaped you as a professional. Show us your personality through compelling, dynamic examples or a personal story that illustrates your points. A successful essay gives our admissions team a sense of who you are and why you are a good fit for our program.
  • Take a team approach to proofreading. Punctuation errors are incredibly easy to make, but also incredibly easy to fix. Proofread your essay for spelling, punctuation and grammar – then ask a colleague (or two) to do the same. A fresh set of eyes will often catch errors you might have missed.
  • Stick to the limit. Be concise and stick to the stated maximum length. These limits are listed for a reason – don’t ignore them.
DON’T:

• Recite your resume. The essay is the first chance for our admissions team to learn about your background and professional experience. Use examples to highlight your experience. Do not add a few words to the bullet points on your resume and call it an essay.
  • Write a generic essay. Just as every applicant is unique, so are the business programs at each school. Do not just change the school name for each application. We want to know who you are and why you want to attend UNC Kenan-Flagler.
  • Skimp on proofreading. Submitting an essay riddled with spelling, punctuation and grammar errors is the equivalent to wearing pajamas to your admissions interview. Make a good first impression by thoroughly proofreading your essay and ensuring you reference our school, UNC Kenan-Flagler, properly.
Our UNC Kenan-Flagler full-time MBA program is currently accepting applications for its Class of 2017. Learn more about our program and start your application today. And don’t forget to mark your calendar with important admissions dates and deadlines!

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Applying in round 2. Let´s move!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.51
WE:Other (Transportation)
Send PM
An unexpected Diwali Gift in my mailbox today :thanks :cool :cool :cool

Dear Kumar,

Your performance on the GMAT suggests that you could be a sucessful candidate for UNC Kenan-Flagler Business School's full-time MBA program. We aim to admit the world's best students, so we invite you to apply for our 2015 entering class.

Please accept this application fee waiver for admission to UNC Kenan-Flagler's full-time MBA program for 2015 entry.

Merit fellowships are awarded to approximately one-third of our students. Details on fellowship awards can be found at https://www.kenan-flagler.unc.edu/admiss ... ellowships.

Your GMAT score is an excellent start. Of course, the GMAT score is only one of the attributes we will evaluate for admission and fellowship awards. We also will examine your leadership skills, success working in teams, prior academic performance, career accomplishments and your overall fit with the UNC Kenan-Flagler culture.

Please take a close look at UNC Kenan-Flagler. If you find us to be a good fit for you, we want you to apply. Download our latest program brochure at: Full-time MBA Brochure.

When you are ready to apply, go to https://www.kenan-flagler.unc.edu/admissions/mba/apply.

To redeem your application fee waiver: select "Pay by Check/Fee Waiver" when you arrive at the payment section of the application. The reason for your fee waiver is noted in our system as "High GMAT Waiver".

Please contact me with questions about our program or about the application process.

Thanks for your consideration. I am confident you will find that UNC Kenan-Flagler has much to offer you.

Best regards,

Sherry Wallace
Director of Admissions, Full-time MBA Program
UNC Kenan-Flagler Business School
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 07-26-2014
GPA: 3.54
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Hi Everyone! Just wanted to know that since I am an international applicant,I have the option of either having an alumni interview or Skype interview call. Which out of the two should be more preferable?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Reapplicant, iIn for ED at Kenan Flagler and just submitted.

Good luck with the interviews everyone!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.1
WE:General Management (Health Care)
Send PM
In for R1, EA. Just submitted my application!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 3.9
Send PM