Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 09:27 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 09:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6048 [0]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 206
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Re: The globalization of financial-services companies has been a boon to [#permalink]
saurya_s wrote:
The globalization of financial-services companies has been a boon to money launders,
because of allowing money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction to be
transferred
to a branch in a more regulated one.

A. of allowing money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction to be
transferred
B. of allowing the transfer of money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction
C. it allows that money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction is transferred
D. it allows the transfer of money have been placed in a bank in a less regulated
jurisdiction
E. it allows money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction to be transferred

Please explain

@e-gmat
daagh
Kindly request you to please see that in option E-Two independent clausea are joined by(,Plus because), but as far as my knowledge is concerned to connect two independent clauses we use ,+fanboys-in this b stands for but..
Kindly request you to please explain
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Re: The globalization of financial-services companies has been a boon to [#permalink]
A is wrong b/c "because" demonstrates a clear causal relationship, while "because of" demonstrates a reason for a conclusion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 289
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.54
Send PM
Re: The globalization of financial-services companies has been a [#permalink]
Skywalker18 wrote:
The globalization of financial-services companies has been a boon to money launders, because of allowing money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction to be transferred to a branch in a more regulated one.
A. of allowing money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction to be transferred - BECAUSE + OF must be followed by a noun only . Since we're discussing the action of allowing the transfer of money, we shouldn't use OF .
B. of allowing the transfer of money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction - Same as A
C. it allows that money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction is transferred - It is used primarily in the context of acknowledgment/belief: "I allow that she is very accomplished" = I admit or acknowledge.
If it's used in the context of permission, it must be used in the command subjunctive:
"... it allows that money... BE transferred..." rather than "is transferred." C is therefore incorrect.
D. it allows the transfer of money have been placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction - subject-verb agreement issue - the transfer needs HAS
E. it allows money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction to be transferred - Correct

Answer E

BECAUSE + [no preposition] will be followed by an action - a clause. Compare these two:
I couldn't play kickball because of my sprained ankle.
I couldn't play kickball because I sprained my ankle.

Hi Skywalker,
Cant we eliminate C on the basis that allows that takes subjunctive form and for that the verb be is required. Subjunctive form- Noun/ Pronoun allows that X be Y.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
GMATNinja verbal expert can you please point out what exactly is wrong with option C apart from the fact that it sounds strange i.e. has a weird sentence construction.Thanks.
Wondering if 'allow that' is an incorrect use of idiom??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
VQ wrote:
GMATNinja verbal expert can you please point out what exactly is wrong with option C apart from the fact that it sounds strange i.e. has a weird sentence construction.Thanks.
Hey VQ,

I would like to help you with this one.
The word allow always need to along with it. The other words which fall in this category-

To allow
To forbid
To chose
To decide
To persuade.

Consider kudos if that helped

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63695 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
VQ wrote:

Skywalker18 succinctly summarized the issues with (C) in this post: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-globaliz ... l#p1968383. There's a longer-winded explanation here as well.

sumit411 wrote:
The word allow always need to along with it. The other words which fall in this category-

To allow
To forbid
To chose
To decide
To persuade.

I would respectfully caution against thinking that the word "allow" must always be accompanied by the word "to." Sure, "to allow" is the infinitive form of the verb, but like any other verb, we can use it in all sorts of other ways, depending on the grammatical subject of the sentence and the verb tense. All of the following are completely acceptable:

• The fun-loving mother allows her daughter to use avocado as a type of hair gel.
  • Tax evasion is allowed only if the taxpayer is a personal friend of the president.
  • The admissions committees of several elite MBA programs allow applicants to eat burritos during their interviews.

Maybe you're thinking that the word "allow" frequently is FOLLOWED by another verb in the infinitive form? But even that isn't necessary -- see the 2nd of my examples above.

I hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
VQ wrote:

Skywalker18 succinctly summarized the issues with (C) in this post: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-globaliz ... l#p1968383. There's a longer-winded explanation here as well.

sumit411 wrote:

To allow
To forbid
To chose
To decide
To persuade.

I would respectfully caution against thinking that the word "allow" must always be accompanied by the word "to." Sure, "to allow" is the infinitive form of the verb, but like any other verb, we can use it in all sorts of other ways, depending on the grammatical subject of the sentence and the verb tense. All of the following are completely acceptable:

• The fun-loving mother allows her daughter to use avocado as a type of hair gel.
  • Tax evasion is allowed only if the taxpayer is a personal friend of the president.
  • The admissions committees of several elite MBA programs allow applicants to eat burritos during their interviews.

Maybe you're thinking that the word "allow" frequently is FOLLOWED by another verb in the infinitive form? But even that isn't necessary -- see the 2nd of my examples above.

I hope this helps!
Thanks a lot for this Gmatninja. Surely it helps.

Thank you = Kudos
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
saurya_s wrote:
The globalization of financial-services companies has been a boon to money launders, because of allowing money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction to be transferred to a branch in a more regulated one.

(A) of allowing money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction to be transferred

(B) of allowing the transfer of money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction

(C) it allows that money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction is transferred

(D) it allows the transfer of money have been placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction

(E) it allows money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction to be transferred

when comma+doing or comma+preposition+doing is added to main clause, this phrase work as adverb modifying the main clause and the doing refers to the subject of the main clause. but not every preposition can stand in this position . only a few preposition can stand before doing in this pattern.

look at choice A and B, because of can not stand before allowing and so, allowing dose not refer to the subject of the main clause. this is vital and basic grammar point we have to know
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42106 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
The globalization of financial-services companies has been a boon to [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
There are a few things that I wish to tell those who are fresh to GMAT Prepping.

1. One must be clear about the difference between the use of because of and due to. One might have heard frequently that 'because of' is a verb modifier and 'due to' is a noun modifier. However, many mistake this to modify the word that follows 'of' in 'because of' and 'to' in 'due to'. Please realize that what follows these prepositions will always be a noun or noun phrase or a pronoun. No exceptions to that norm and one cannot claim that both 'because of' and 'due to' are modifying nouns.

What is important is what goes before these prepositional phrases. If you want to use 'because of' there should be an active verb of action in the prior part, in addition to any other "state verb" that might be there.

EX: The financial markets have been so globalized that it is a boon to the money launderers because of allowing...

You can see that prior to 'because of', there is an active verb 'have been so globalized'.
This is, in fact, the verb 'because of' modifies and hence it is called a verb modifier.

On the contrary, look at the following sentence:

The globalization of financial-services companies has been a boon to money launderers, due to allowing money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction to be transferred to a branch in a more regulated one.
You might see that the verb 'have been globalized' is now converted into a noun 'globalization.' This the noun the 'due to' phrase is actually modifying. Hence, 'due to' is called a noun modifier.
As per the above norm, 'because of' in both A and B are wrong as 'because of' cannot modify the noun globalization.

The second point is about subjunctive mood. Many are tending to misuse or even abuse the words 'allow' and 'that' as subjunctive mood elements. We may perhaps use 'that' in command subjunctive moods, but every time we use 'that', it need not be subjunctive. In addition, the word 'allows' has no connotation to subjunctive mood what so ever; it expresses neither a wish nor a command nor mandatoriness. It is a simple indicative verb. Therefore, 'allows that' in C does not require using a subjunctive mood verb.

Originally posted by daagh on 08 Sep 2019, 13:11.
Last edited by daagh on 08 Sep 2019, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
It refers to globalization and we need subjunctive. C (That + is) and D ( tense issue have been) does this incorrectly.

AO : E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
The globalization of financial-services companies has been a boon to [#permalink]
saurya_s wrote:
has been a boon to money launders

That seems to be a typo. It should be either money launderers or money laundering.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 198
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: IIMA PGPX'22
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
daagh wrote:
There are a few things that I wish to tell those who are fresh to GMAT Prepping.

1. One must be clear about the difference between the use of because of and due to. One might have heard frequently that 'because of' is a verb modifier and 'due to' is a noun modifier. However, many mistake this to modify the word that follows 'of' in 'because of' and 'to' in 'due to'. Please realize that what follows these prepositions will always be a noun or noun phrase or a pronoun. No exceptions to that norm and one cannot claim that both 'because of' and 'due to' are modifying nouns.

What is important is what goes before these prepositional phrases. If you want to use 'because of' there should be an active verb of action in the prior part, in addition to any other "state verb" that might be there.

EX: The financial markets have been so globalized that it is a boon to the money launderers because of allowing...

You can see that prior to 'because of', there is an active verb 'have been so globalized'.
This is, in fact, the verb 'because of' modifies and hence it is called a verb modifier.

On the contrary, look at the following sentence:

The globalization of financial-services companies has been a boon to money launderers, due to allowing money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction to be transferred to a branch in a more regulated one.
You might see that the verb 'have been globalized' is now converted into a noun 'globalization.' This the noun the 'due to' phrase is actually modifying. Hence, 'due to' is called a noun modifier.

As per the above norm, 'because of' in both A and B are wrong as 'because of' cannot modify the noun globalization.
The second point is about subjunctive mood. Many are tending to misuse or even abuse the words 'allow' and 'that' as subjunctive mood elements. We may perhaps use 'that' in command subjunctive moods, but every time we use 'that', it need not be subjunctive. In addition, the word 'allows' has no connotation to subjunctive mood what so ever; it expresses neither a wish nor a command nor mandatoriness. It is a simple indicative verb. Therefore, 'allows that' in C does not require using a subjunctive mood verb.

[quote="daagh"]
Thanks for your explanation.
I have two doubts
1.The globalization of financial-services companies has been a boon to money launders, because of allowing money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction to be transferred to a branch in a more regulated one.
In the above sentence what is the role of has been .i understand its past perfect but what is the verb in the sentence.
2. I keep seeing subjunctive mood , but not sure of its use . Any good article or anything you can please help with.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42106 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Unflinching,
has been itself is the present perfect tense verb. 'been' is the perfect tense form in this case- "be -was- been". 'been' is also used for past perfect as 'had been'.
For some material on subjunctive use, give me a day or two. I will search.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 198
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: IIMA PGPX'22
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
daagh wrote:
Unflinching,
has been itself is the present perfect tense verb. 'been' is the perfect tense form in this case- "be -was- been". 'been' is also used for past perfect as 'had been'.
For some material on subjunctive use, give me a day or two. I will search.

My Bad that I mentioned has been as past perfect . My apologies .
But what I wanted to understand is what you meant by these words (excerpts from your explanation of when to use due to vs because of)
"What is important is what goes before these prepositional phrases. If you want to use 'because of' there should be an active verb of action in the prior part, in addition to any other "state verb" that might be there."

If I understand it correctly --->has been serve as the state verb and there is no action verb . So in this context usage of because of is incorrect .(globalization serves a noun)

However if the sentence is modified

Here globalized serves as action verb in addition to the presence of state verb (has been) which has no effect on the usage of because of .

Please correct me if I am wrong
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42106 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Unflinching

Look at this:
I am taller than brother is
I jump higher than my brother does.
You can see jump is an action verb while 'am' is a state verb, because when you jump, you make an effort, while in "I am", I don't make an effort, but I am just what I am.
'Globalized' means that some factor has globalized something or that something was globalized by someone. There is an effort involved in that. Am I correct? Therefore, 'globalized ' is an action verb.

In the case of both A and B choices, there is no such verb as 'globalized'. Hence, both the choices using ' because of' are wrong.

I am not clear what is the disconnect between your perception and my statement.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
" because of +doing" is relevant to the pattern "doing +comma+main clause". a full explanation of this pattern can be found in grammar books. but do not read many pages in grammar books because they are not relevant to gmat. the fact that you need to read some pages in grammar book is a trap, which cause you want to read many grammatical pages, making you to die.

in the pattern "doing+comma+main clause", doing refer to the subject of the main clause. but not all preposition can be in this pattern. "instead of" can be in this pattern but "because of" can not be in this pattern.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
Send PM
in option E
it allows
both subject and verb are there making it an independent clause separated by a comma,
isnt this wrong
what is the problem with B
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts