GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Nov 2018, 00:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

06:00 PM EST

07:00 PM EST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

The globalization of financial-services companies has been a boon to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
G
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)
Re: The globalization of financial-services companies has been a boon to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2017, 10:32
Solution 1

Any time an underlined portion begins with a preposition - especially if some answer choices contain a preposition and some do not - it's likely that the GMAT is testing IDIOMS.

In option B, ‘because of allowing the transfer’ is unidiomatic.
‘because of’ must be followed by a noun.
The command subjunctive applies only when there is some ‘bossiness’ involved. ‘allow’ is clearly not bossy and we don’t need a bossy word here. Therefore, ‘allows that’ doesn’t make sense.

BECAUSE + OF must be followed by a noun only:
Because of you, I never strayed too far from the sidewalks... (remember that song?)

BECAUSE + [no preposition] will be followed by an action - a clause. Compare these two:
I couldn't play kickball because of my sprained ankle.
I couldn't play kickball because I sprained my ankle.
Since we're discussing the action of allowing the transfer of money, we shouldn't use OF. Eliminate A and B.
D contains a violation of subject-verb agreement: "the transfer of money have been placed..."
Between C and E, we have two different idiomatic structures: ALLOW THAT and ALLOW TO. Both of these could be correct, but in different contexts. Option C is unidiomatic.
Correct structure is –
allow X to do Y – infinitive
Structure of option D is incorrect
It allows X have been … Two verbs with no connector
it allows the transfer of money have been placed in a bank

ALLOW THAT is not very common in modern English, though it may still be considered correct by some grammarians. It is used primarily in the context of acknowledgment / belief: "I allow that she is very accomplished" = I admit or acknowledge.
If it's used in the context of permission, it must be used in the command subjunctive:
"... it allows that money... BE transferred..." rather than "is transferred." C is therefore incorrect.

ALLOW ___ TO BE ____ is the much more common version of the idiom. (More common versions of idioms are almost always found in correct answers). The correct answer is E.

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Manager
Manager
B
Re: The globalization of financial-services companies has been a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2017, 05:11
raghavs wrote:
The globalization of financial-services companies has been a boon to money launders,
because of allowing money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction to be
transferred
to a branch in a more regulated one.
A. of allowing money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction to be
transferred
B. of allowing the transfer of money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction
C. it allows that money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction is transferred
D. it allows the transfer of money have been placed in a bank in a less regulated
jurisdiction
E. it allows money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction to be transferred

Cant "it" refer to both BOON and Globalization?
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Re: The globalization of financial-services companies has been a boon to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 02:51
saurya_s wrote:
The globalization of financial-services companies has been a boon to money launders,
because of allowing money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction to be
transferred
to a branch in a more regulated one.

A. of allowing money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction to be
transferred
B. of allowing the transfer of money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction
C. it allows that money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction is transferred
D. it allows the transfer of money have been placed in a bank in a less regulated
jurisdiction
E. it allows money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction to be transferred

Please explain

@e-gmat
daagh
Kindly request you to please see that in option E-Two independent clausea are joined by(,Plus because), but as far as my knowledge is concerned to connect two independent clauses we use ,+fanboys-in this b stands for but..
Kindly request you to please explain
SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2017, 23:07
A is wrong b/c "because" demonstrates a clear causal relationship, while "because of" demonstrates a reason for a conclusion.
Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2017, 03:13
The globalization of financial-services companies has been a boon to money launders, because of allowing money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction to be transferred to a branch in a more regulated one.
A. of allowing money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction to be transferred - BECAUSE + OF must be followed by a noun only . Since we're discussing the action of allowing the transfer of money, we shouldn't use OF .
B. of allowing the transfer of money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction - Same as A
C. it allows that money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction is transferred - It is used primarily in the context of acknowledgment/belief: "I allow that she is very accomplished" = I admit or acknowledge.
If it's used in the context of permission, it must be used in the command subjunctive:
"... it allows that money... BE transferred..." rather than "is transferred." C is therefore incorrect.
D. it allows the transfer of money have been placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction - subject-verb agreement issue - the transfer needs HAS
E. it allows money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction to be transferred - Correct

Answer E

BECAUSE + [no preposition] will be followed by an action - a clause. Compare these two:

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.54
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2017, 00:38
Skywalker18 wrote:
The globalization of financial-services companies has been a boon to money launders, because of allowing money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction to be transferred to a branch in a more regulated one.
A. of allowing money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction to be transferred - BECAUSE + OF must be followed by a noun only . Since we're discussing the action of allowing the transfer of money, we shouldn't use OF .
B. of allowing the transfer of money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction - Same as A
C. it allows that money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction is transferred - It is used primarily in the context of acknowledgment/belief: "I allow that she is very accomplished" = I admit or acknowledge.
D. it allows the transfer of money have been placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction - subject-verb agreement issue - the transfer needs HAS
E. it allows money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction to be transferred - Correct

Answer E

Hi Skywalker,
Cant we eliminate C on the basis that allows that takes subjunctive form and for that the verb be is required. Subjunctive form- Noun/ Pronoun allows that X be Y.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2018, 03:27
GMATNinja verbal expert can you please point out what exactly is wrong with option C apart from the fact that it sounds strange i.e. has a weird sentence construction.Thanks.
Wondering if 'allow that' is an incorrect use of idiom??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2018, 09:03
VQ wrote:
GMATNinja verbal expert can you please point out what exactly is wrong with option C apart from the fact that it sounds strange i.e. has a weird sentence construction.Thanks.
Hey VQ,

I would like to help you with this one.
The word allow always need to along with it. The other words which fall in this category-

To allow
To forbid
To chose
To decide
To persuade.

Consider kudos if that helped

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Thank you =Kudos
The best thing in life lies on the other side of the pain.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2018, 16:17
VQ wrote:

Skywalker18 succinctly summarized the issues with (C) in this post: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-globaliz ... l#p1968383. There's a longer-winded explanation here as well.

sumit411 wrote:
The word allow always need to along with it. The other words which fall in this category-

To allow
To forbid
To chose
To decide
To persuade.

I would respectfully caution against thinking that the word "allow" must always be accompanied by the word "to." Sure, "to allow" is the infinitive form of the verb, but like any other verb, we can use it in all sorts of other ways, depending on the grammatical subject of the sentence and the verb tense. All of the following are completely acceptable:

• The fun-loving mother allows her daughter to use avocado as a type of hair gel.
  • Tax evasion is allowed only if the taxpayer is a personal friend of the president.
  • The admissions committees of several elite MBA programs allow applicants to eat burritos during their interviews.

Maybe you're thinking that the word "allow" frequently is FOLLOWED by another verb in the infinitive form? But even that isn't necessary -- see the 2nd of my examples above.

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2018, 21:11
GMATNinja wrote:
VQ wrote:

Skywalker18 succinctly summarized the issues with (C) in this post: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-globaliz ... l#p1968383. There's a longer-winded explanation here as well.

sumit411 wrote:

To allow
To forbid
To chose
To decide
To persuade.

I would respectfully caution against thinking that the word "allow" must always be accompanied by the word "to." Sure, "to allow" is the infinitive form of the verb, but like any other verb, we can use it in all sorts of other ways, depending on the grammatical subject of the sentence and the verb tense. All of the following are completely acceptable:

• The fun-loving mother allows her daughter to use avocado as a type of hair gel.
  • Tax evasion is allowed only if the taxpayer is a personal friend of the president.
  • The admissions committees of several elite MBA programs allow applicants to eat burritos during their interviews.

Maybe you're thinking that the word "allow" frequently is FOLLOWED by another verb in the infinitive form? But even that isn't necessary -- see the 2nd of my examples above.

I hope this helps!
Thanks a lot for this Gmatninja. Surely it helps.

Thank you = Kudos

Thank you =Kudos
The best thing in life lies on the other side of the pain.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2018, 09:27
saurya_s wrote:

(A) of allowing money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction to be transferred

(B) of allowing the transfer of money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction

(C) it allows that money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction is transferred

(D) it allows the transfer of money have been placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction

(E) it allows money placed in a bank in a less regulated jurisdiction to be transferred

when comma+doing or comma+preposition+doing is added to main clause, this phrase work as adverb modifying the main clause and the doing refers to the subject of the main clause. but not every preposition can stand in this position . only a few preposition can stand before doing in this pattern.

look at choice A and B, because of can not stand before allowing and so, allowing dose not refer to the subject of the main clause. this is vital and basic grammar point we have to know
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The globalization of financial-services companies has been a boon to &nbs [#permalink] 27 Aug 2018, 09:27

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 31 posts ] 

The globalization of financial-services companies has been a boon to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap