Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:09 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Said '22 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: ISB '20
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: ISB Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
26 year old Indian (Male).

GMAT - 710 V35 Q50 IR 8
B-Tech NIT Durgapur (Electrical Engineering) 2015 Batch - 7.48 CGPA
12th - 82.6 % (CBSE)
10th - 85 % (CBSE)
Work Ex - 38 Months as of August 2018.
Working in EPC industry as senior electrical engineer in tendering department.
Extracurriculars - Participated and won in various quizzes held in our college. Also volunteered in many college fests. Participated in various debates in middle school.

Kindly evaluate my profile for ISB.

Originally posted by gmatgautam on 17 Aug 2018, 23:29.
Last edited by gmatgautam on 18 Aug 2018, 03:27, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Hello gmatgautam

While your past scores and GMAT look decent, there is much more to a profile. It would help better if you can mention more around your career progression, work related achievements (read here to know what matters in a profile in ISB admissions).
Also, what extracurricular activities have you done during your work life. College/School activities do not carry mcuh weight unless you have achieved something spectacular.
Lastly, the most critical element is clarity and fit of career goals with ISB. What is your compelling reason to pursue an MBA? That will highly decide you chances. You can add to your research by reading here.
Let me know if you have further questions.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

gmatgautam wrote:
26 year old Indian (Male).

GMAT - 710 V35 Q50 IR 8
B-Tech NIT Durgapur (Electrical Engineering) 2015 Batch - 7.48 CGPA
12th - 82.6 % (CBSE)
10th - 85 % (CBSE)
Work Ex - 38 Months as of August 2018.
Working in Voltas Limited as senior electrical engineer in tendering department.
Extracurriculars - Participated and won in various quizzes held in our college. Also volunteered in many college fests. Participated in various debates in middle school.

Kindly evaluate my profile for ISB.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hey,

My profile in brief:
10th Grade - 88%
12th Grade - 86%
B.E. Computer Engineering (Mumbai University) - 60% (73% final year if that counts for anything)
GMAT - 730

Work Experience:
-2 years as a data scientist at Mu Sigma Business Solutions, data science consulting primarily. Was also an R programming & SQL trainer for freshers.
-1 year as a senior business analyst at Endurance International Group. Mentor a bunch of freshers here.

Extra Curricular:
-Freelance web developer during college - made over 10 websites
-Was a part of a global organization called AIESEC. Managed a team of 10, spearheaded two youth leadership events (2012-2014)
-TFI Volunteer (2018). I teach kids with a learning disorder in a government school. ~ 7.5 hours a week

Awards and Achievements:
- Won an award for the most progressive AIESEC team (amongst 24 participating cities)
- Won two awards at my first job
- Got promoted twice so far

I've had multiple internships during college along with the extra cirriculars mentioned, not sure if that explains a low grade.

Reason to do an MBA:
-Add extensive finance and operation knowledge to my toolkit

Please evaluate my profile
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Expert Reply
krupak93 wrote:
Hey,

My profile in brief:
10th Grade - 88%
12th Grade - 86%
B.E. Computer Engineering (Mumbai University) - 60% (73% final year if that counts for anything)
GMAT - 730

Work Experience:
-2 years as a data scientist at Mu Sigma Business Solutions, data science consulting primarily. Was also an R programming & SQL trainer for freshers.
-1 year as a senior business analyst at Endurance International Group. Mentor a bunch of freshers here.

Extra Curricular:
-Was a part of a global organization called AIESEC. Managed a team of 10, spearheaded two youth leadership events (2012-2014)
-TFI Volunteer (2018). I teach kids with a learning disorder in a government school. ~ 7.5 hours a week

Awards and Achievements:
- Won an award for the most progressive AIESEC team (amongst 24 participating cities)

I've had multiple internships during college along with the extra cirriculars mentioned, not sure if that explains a low grade.

Reason to do an MBA:

can you give a further idea about your work experience? what have you done at both companies? what have you achieved? In your current role, what else are you doing other than mentoring juniors? Anything around client management and making impact on top line/bottomline?

The rest of your profile looks ok. AS you have a low GPA, your current GMAT score of 730 will help to establish your academic capability. ISB's application doesn't give you a chance via an optional essay to explain your low grades so you will not really have the chance to talk about this in the application. Moreover we don't know the extent of your extra curricular involvement at college to comment on whether it will sound real or just as an excuse.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.14
Send PM
Please evaluate:

GMAT: 740 (Q51; V38)
GPA: 7.85/10 (3.14 on a 4 scale)

Undergrad: Integrated dual degree in Industrial Engg from one of the IITs

Work Ex: Total 5 years in data analytics; 4 years in the Bangalore office of a US commercial bank, 1 year in a Bangalore-based logistics startup

Extra-curricular: Nothing significant. Some volunteer work.
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
saum1230 wrote:
Please evaluate:

Work Ex: Total 5 years in data analytics; 4 years in the Bangalore office of a US commercial bank, 1 year in a Bangalore-based logistics startup

Good profile in principle. No worries on extra curriculars at ISB as long as your core experience is presented well. May need to present your profile more holistically if you are applying to any of the top international programs.

Feel free to discuss if you have any specific queries. You may want to go through our Essay Analysis here: https://www.isbmantra.com/resources/pgp ... alysis-one

All the Best!
ISBmantra / Admit Square Consulting
Admission Consultant
Send PM
Expert Reply
krupak93 wrote:
Hey,

My profile in brief:
10th Grade - 88%
12th Grade - 86%
GMAT - 730

Work Experience:

Extra Curricular:

Awards and Achievements:

Reason to do an MBA:

Hi!

You have done well to get a 730 on the GMAT, but 60% is going to remain a hurdle for top 10-15 US programs. Not so much for ISB though if you are able to present a strong profile. With too many Analysts applying from organizations like ZS, Mu Sigma etc. the competition is pretty tough and there are candidates with 740-750 who did not make it last year. Will be really important therefore, to present a well-differentiated profile; and given the range of activities you have been a part of, it should be pretty possible.

All the Best!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi,

Please help me evaluate my profile for ISB:

10th - 85%
12th- 74%
UG- 2.94 out of 4 (BBA from Symbiosis)
Work experience - I have been working at Uber since the last 3 years. I joined as a contractual employee and secured a permanent role during that period. I have got promoted thrice and I currently lead the Rider operations in Pune. I have had a very diverse experience at uber - started with leading driver support centre, moved on to core ops where I was leading driver incentives & was responsible to maintain a balance between demand and supply, and finally started leading Rider Operations along with policy work. I have been managing a team of 20+ people. My skillset includes team management, analytics (SQL), stakeholder management.
GMAT - yet to be taken.

Reason to do MBA-
a) Build a strong network
b) Build a strong profile

I need your help in understanding two things-
a) Based on my profile, what should be the ideal GMAT score?
b) Does my profile look strong and appealing to even think about ISB?

Thanks in advance.
Admission Consultant
Send PM
Expert Reply
Dhwanild wrote:
Hi,

10th - 85%
12th- 74%
Work experience - I have been working at Uber since the last 3 years. I joined as a contractual employee and secured a permanent role during that period. I have got promoted thrice and I currently lead the Rider operations in Pune. I have had a very diverse experience at uber - started with leading driver support centre, moved on to core ops where I was leading driver incentives & was responsible to maintain a balance between demand and supply, and finally started leading Rider Operations along with policy work. I have been managing a team of 20+ people. My skillset includes team management, analytics (SQL), stakeholder management.
GMAT - yet to be taken.

Reason to do MBA-

Thanks in advance.

Hi! While you have done well to take up diverse responsibilities at Uber, business schools are also particular about understanding your academic potential, which they assess through your GMAT and GPA. Anything less than 3/4 GPA poses serious challenge and only a very very strong GMAT can make up for the same. Let's target 730+ and build a strong application irrespective of the GMAT score. Anything less than 700 will make it very difficult for you to get an ISB Admit.

All the Best!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hello saum1230

Your 'stats' look good. however, there is much more to a profile than just stats or 'quantitative' info. Read here to know more.
These strengths are Career progression, Achievements, Impact at work and most importantly, Clarity of Career Goals (add to your research by reading here)
If you can combine this with 'qualitative' strengths in your application too, you have a fighting chance.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

saum1230 wrote:
Please evaluate:

VP
VP
Send PM
Hello Dhwanild

While your work ex looks interesting, the career goals need to be more specific. Read here on career goals.
In addition, what extracurricular activities are you involved in? These can add a flavor to your profile.
In your application, make sure you focus on all the six factors mentioned here.
Target a 710+ GMAT to have a decent shot at ISB.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

Dhwanild wrote:
Hi,

10th - 85%
12th- 74%
GMAT - yet to be taken.

Reason to do MBA-

Thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Please evaluate my profile IIM B EPGP.

10th - 87%
12th -87.55 %
Graduation - B. Tech (Mech) - 7.49 (IIT Kgp)
GMAT - 710

Have worked for 7 years power plant operations/ projects/ technical group in one of the major industries in India.

I have completed CFA level 3.

Post MBA goals - Operations / Strategy in Manufacturing/ Supply chain
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello chitrangjain

Your academic stats look good.
A little more info around the nature of your work, career progression and achievements would help. (Read here to know what matters in the application.
Commenting on career goals (though they look realistic at the first glance) would be easier if your work ex can be understood better.
Also, helpful would be a mention around your extracurricular activities.
To conclude it you can tie in the above well in your SOP/LOR you have a decent chance at getting an interview invite. Challenge here is timeline, are you applying in R1?

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

chitrangjain wrote:

10th - 87%
12th -87.55 %
GMAT - 710

Have worked for 7 years power plant operations/ projects/ technical group in one of the major industries in India.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Expert Reply
chitrangjain wrote:

10th - 87%
12th -87.55 %
GMAT - 710

Hi chitrangjain,

A strong profile for IIMB. Background brings in diversity. CFA plus IIT plus GMAT add value from the academic point of view. As long as you ensure that your short term and long term goals are well-aligned with your achievements so far, you are good to go. Use stories from your experience to express maturity and leadership qualities, this will ensure good differentiation with the applicant pool.

Feel free to reach out in case of any queries.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 11
Schools: ISB '19
GMAT 1: 710 Q58 V46
GRE 1: Q167 V154
GPA: 3.86
Send PM
Hi,
Please evaluate my profile. I am about to fill application for R1 this year

[a]Test Scores[/b]
GMAT- 710 Q50,V 35
GRE- 324, Q-167, V- 157

Academics :
81% in 10th West Bengal Board
76% in 12th (West Bengal Board)
76.9 % (Computer Science Engineering)with distinction from Birla Institute of technology,Mesra

[c]Work experience: - 3 years by the time School starts
i)Make My Trip (June 2016 to april 2018 )
Worked as a software developer .Was closely associated with product development w.r.t discounting system. Solved many business problems with cutting edge technologies
Create highly scalable system from scratch along with two colleague for discounting across multiple line of business across
make my trip .Got employee of the month across company twice related to this project.
My team got CEO's best team award (annual award) in tech domain.

Founder and CTO of a health care startup. Incubated and accelerated by reputed incubation centre and accelerator program.
Led the team of 6 developers and developed an application that is being used by 200+ doctors and 2 big clients. Took key decision in moulding business idea into working product.

[d]Extra- curricular activities
Member of NGO jagaran sewa sanstha that focuses on socio-economic improvements and spreading healthcare awareness among tribal and rural communities.

Part of entrepreneurship Development cell of BIT,Mesra
--- organised multiple events for the same
Part of Rotoract Club student's chapter of college . Organised fest in college for the same.

Part of cricket and football team in Make My trip.

[e]Why MBA? [/b]
Enhance my career as a product manager or may again take the path of entrepreneurship since ISB has a good e-cell and alumni network as wel.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
GPA: 3.58
Send PM
Please evaluate my profile .
GMAT -720 Q50,V37 , IR 8
Academics
10th :CGPA 9.8
12th : 98%
B.Tech (Electronics) , IIT(BHU), Varanasi - CGPA 8.32

Work Experience:

1.Two months Summer Internship mentor Graphics (Electronics Company) during 3rd year at College
2.Thirteen months oracle , after Graduation
3.Twelve months at IT start up
4.Working part time for our family owned business (2 years till date )

Reasons for Career Change & Need for MBA

I have been working for our family business for 2 years . For the first 1 year , since I was working in a different city , I could not involve actively in our business . After completion of one year at Oracle , I found a job at an IT start-up based in the same city as our firms' . Now , I have been working closely with my family for the past one year. I feel this is the right time to pursue MBA since I have gained some practical knowledge and want to acquire theoretical knowledge in order to not only further our present business but also establish new businesses in other sectors . .

Achievements
1. Won prizes at 3 college technical competitions .
2. Got scholorship post 12th .
3. Won badminton competition held at college level .

Extra Curricular
1. College - Organized 3 competitions . Member of Environment Club.
2.Oracle- Led a team of 10 raise funds for Heart Patienst and created awareness about fitness . Our team was recognized for active participation in planting trees.
3. Stricter enforcement of separation of Plastic and Bio waste at our Township.

My main doubts -My GMAT is very low as I belong to the usual IT male category and my work experience is below average . Should I apply now or should I retake GMAT and apply in 2nd round. As of now , I have planned to start my application process and give one more try before September 15th.

Originally posted by Talayva on 21 Aug 2018, 06:14.
Last edited by Talayva on 21 Aug 2018, 09:02, edited 3 times in total.
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello Talayva

While your stats look good, more than the GMAT I see the following key challenges-

1. With just 11 months in in new job- Why now?
2. Career journey- 13 months at Oracle reasons for change. If you wished to contribute to your family business then you should ideally spend time there first for a while.
3. Communicating the Need of an MBA- If you wish to continue the business, you don't necessarily need an MBA. Especially since you have not started doing it full time. Why not do it full time for a few years and then understand whether you need an MBA or not. You may have to work on the narrative here.
4. With a confusion between R1 and R2, you might waste precious time as you have barely days before submitting the application. Building a good application can take 3 weeks or more if you are staring from scratch.

Applying in R2 will not change the above. The only thing it can potentially change is your GMAT score, which will help but is not a deal breaker at 720. And a 740 will not help compensate a weak narrative if you cannot address the above points.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

Talayva wrote:
Please evaluate my profile .
GMAT -720 Q50,V37 , IR 8
Academics
10th :CGPA 9.8
12th : 98%
B.Tech (Electronics) , IIT(BHU), Varanasi - CGPA 8.32

Work Experience:
2 Months Summer Internship mentor Graphics (Electronics Company) during 3rd year at College
13 Months oracle , after Graduation
11 Months Startup
Working part time for our family owned business .

I changed company as my first company was located in different city and I was not able to actively involve in our family business . I shifted to a company located in the city in which our business is based .
Achievements
1. Won prizes at 3 college technical competitions .
2. Got scholorship post 12th .
3. Won badminton competition held at college level .

Extra Curricular
1. College - Organized 3 competitions . Member of Environment Club.
2.Oracle- Led a team of 10 raise funds for Heart Patienst and created awareness about fitness . Our team was recognized for active participation in planting trees.
3. Stricter enforcement of separation of Plastic and Bio waste at our Township.

Need for MBA
Post MBA , I want to carry forward our business .

My main doubts -My GMAT is very low as I belong to the usual IT male category and my work experience is below average . Should I apply now or should I retake GMAT and apply in 2nd round.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  105   106   107   108   109  ...  307