Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:05 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20717 [373]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [89]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19740 [34]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1728 [12]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GPA: 3.97
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Many states, in search of industries that are clean, fast-growing, and [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Many states, in search of industries that are clean, fast-growing, and pay good wages to skilled workers, are trying to attract high-technology industries.

(A) clean, fast-growing, and paylacks parallelism . "are" is already a verb there hence pay can not be added iwth pay
(B) clean, grow fast, and that payCorrect form should be "clean, that grow fast, and that pay"
(C) clean and fast-growing and that paymaintains parallelism
(D) clean and grow fast, payingpaying is a modifies that should have modified industries
(E) clean, fast-growing, and paying paying is incorrect as are as its present continuous with simple present "are"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [5]
Given Kudos: 120
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Many states, in search of industries that are clean, fast-growing, and [#permalink]
Kudos
Only C & E are parallel.I like C over E as industries are not paying high wages now. C says generally that industries that pay high wages.

We dont need present continuous here
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [1]
Given Kudos: 289
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.54
Send PM
ArtVandaley wrote:
Only C & E are parallel.I like C over E as industries are not paying high wages now. C says generally that industries that pay high wages.

ArtVandaley,
In option C- Many states, in search of industries that are clean and fast-growing, and that pay good wages.....
Dont you think that we have a parallelism problem. I can see we have the construction Industries that are X and that Y
but here, industries that are clean and fast growing. clean and fast growing are adjectives that describe industries, whereas pay is a verb that talks about what industries do.
In the OA, the option E is disregarded, for the reason that clean and fast growing are adjectives and paying is a verb. So, its incorrect. I want to understood how is C correct then?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [9]
Given Kudos: 120
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi sunny91,

Thanks for asking. I understand where you are making a mistake.

When you read option E(or for that matter, any parellism question), here is what you should do.
You should understand what parts are parallel and then read the stem seperately to see if that makes sense.

for example, She is beautiful and sexy. YOu should see that beautiful and sexy are adjectives defining "she" and when you break down the sentence into two parts, it makes sense- She is beautiful and she is sexy.

Similarly, When it comes to E, you should read it as below.

industries that are clean,
industries that are fast-growing,
and
industries that are paying good wages to skilled workers.

Here VERB ADJECTIVE.

So, paying is part of a verb and not verbing or adjective.

BEsides, there is a subtle meaning issue with E. Industries that are paying restricts the sentence to only those industries that are paying now. Whereas the orginal sentence meant to say Industries that pay- generally(could be IT industry India, consultancy in US), but it may be the case they the might not be paing high wages right now.

When it comes to C, two that clauses are perfectly parallel and work in conjunction to define the type of industries author is talking about.

sunny91 wrote:
ArtVandaley wrote:

ArtVandaley,
In option C- Many states, in search of industries that are clean and fast-growing, and that pay good wages.....
Dont you think that we have a parallelism problem. I can see we have the construction Industries that are X and that Y
but here, industries that are clean and fast growing. clean and fast growing are adjectives that describe industries, whereas pay is a verb that talks about what industries do.
In the OA, the option E is disregarded, for the reason that clean and fast growing are adjectives and paying is a verb. So, its incorrect. I want to understood how is C correct then?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 108
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V26
Send PM
I have question of C,

why it does not need a COMMA? I think it should be written as "clean and fast-growing, and that pay.."
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [2]
Given Kudos: 176
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Cincy2019 wrote:
I have question of C,

why it does not need a COMMA? I think it should be written as "clean and fast-growing, and that pay.."

Hi, the sentence here is like—
“Many states,” ......... modifier.........”, are trying to.....”

If there’s another comma, it will be counted as an error because subject is “states” and the verb is far away “are” .. whole sentence is described giving an additional statement which contains the underlined part as well..

So we don’t need to end the modifier anywhere in the middle where we don’t intend it to end.
It’s like
Eg.
I, knowing that I’ll be successful in this job and in life, at times doubt my abilities.

If any comma is added before the word “life”.. the modifier will end there

I’m hopeful that you’re able to understand the modifier here : “knowing..... life”

If you compare this sentence with original sentence’s option c), you’ll see quite a similarity and that will help your understanding

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1322 [1]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
Bookmarks
hazelnut wrote:
Many states, in search of industries that are clean, fast-growing, and pay good wages to skilled workers, are trying to attract high-technology industries.

(A) clean, fast-growing, and pay
(B) clean, grow fast, and that pay
(C) clean and fast-growing and that pay
(D) clean and grow fast, paying
(E) clean, fast-growing, and paying

SC75561.01

Main Issue

Parallelism

clean: adjective
fast-growing: adjective
pay: verb
grow fast: verb
that pay: modifier
are paying: verb

We should have a list in which all items should be same type. Adjective + Adjective = Parallel. Adjective + something else != Parallel

(A) clean, fast-growing, and pay - Wrong: Parallelism
(B) clean, grow fast, and that pay - Wrong: Parallelism
(C) clean and fast-growing and that pay - Correct
(D) clean and grow fast, paying - Wrong: Parallelism
(E) clean, fast-growing, and paying - Wrong: Parallelism
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja.. With your logic here it would be: Many states, in search of industries that are clean and fast-growing and that pay, are trying to attract high-technology industries. So, if we replace "that" with "industries" over here then it would not make any sense. So how come C is correct?
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
gdatta I don't think any expert would suggest that we replace "that" with "industries" in this sentence. "That" is creating a modifier for "industries," not serving as a pronoun to stand in for that word. Be careful of overgeneralizing from one sentence to another. While "that" can be a regular pronoun, it has many other uses, including its use here as a relative pronoun that modifies a noun.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 286
Send PM
Bookmarks
Shrey9 wrote:
Cincy2019 wrote:
I have question of C,

Hi, the sentence here is like—
“Many states,” ......... modifier.........”, are trying to.....”

If there’s another comma, it will be counted as an error because subject is “states” and the verb is far away “are” .. whole sentence is described giving an additional statement which contains the underlined part as well..

So we don’t need to end the modifier anywhere in the middle where we don’t intend it to end.
It’s like
Eg.
I, knowing that I’ll be successful in this job and in life, at times doubt my abilities.

If any comma is added before the word “life”.. the modifier will end there

I’m hopeful that you’re able to understand the modifier here : “knowing..... life”

If you compare this sentence with original sentence’s option c), you’ll see quite a similarity and that will help your understanding

Posted from my mobile device

Thank you Shrey

Can you please explain be below question
https://gmatclub.com/forum/to-map-earth ... 4a0508c8f7

Where sayantanc2k explains that "two ands" without a comma is wrong for that particular question

Wrong: that originate and ricochet and that travel
Right: that originate and ricochet, and that travel
Right: that originate, ricochet and travel
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [4]
Send PM
Kudos