Last visit was: 13 May 2024, 17:26 It is currently 13 May 2024, 17:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Idioms/Diction/Redundancyx   Subject Verb Agreementx                                    
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7790 [2]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 832
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 7790 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the world, partly [#permalink]
In option A - Is the clause ??? but those who have tried to count ....??? Independent clause .
It says tried to count ,but to count ???what ???is not mentioned .
Please clarify .
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3529 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the world, partly [#permalink]
Expert Reply
ankith10 wrote:
In option A - Is the clause ??? but those who have tried to count ....??? Independent clause .

Well, the Independent clause is:

those typically have found about five thousand.

who have tried to count is a dependent clause (relative clause) modifying those.

You can watch our video on Independent & Dependent clauses.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Independent & Dependent clauses, their application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7658 [1]
Given Kudos: 216
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
nightwing79 wrote:
Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the world, partly because of the difficulty of distinguishing between a language and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried to count typically have found about five thousand.

(A) and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried to count typically have found

(B) and the sub-languages or dialects within them, with those who have tried counting typically finding

(C) and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried counting it typically find

(D) or the sub-languages or dialects within them, but those who tried to count them typically found

(E) or the sub-languages or dialects within them, with those who have tried to count typically finding

This question is based on Pronoun Usage and Idiomatic Usage.

A vertical scan of the options shows us that Options A, B, and C begin with the conjunction ‘and’. Options D and E begin with the conjunction ‘or’.

If we detect the correlative conjunction ‘between’ placed before the underlined portion begins, the choice between the conjunctions ‘and’ and ‘or’ at the beginning of the options is very easy. The appropriate pair of correlative conjunctions is ‘between-and’.

Furthermore, the pronoun ‘them’ in Option D is ambiguous as the pronoun cannot refer to the ‘language’. The same pronoun error is repeated in Option E. So, Options D and E can be eliminated.

Option B also contains the ambiguous pronoun ‘them’. So, Option B can also be eliminated.

Between Options A and C, there is a lack of parallelism of tenses in Option C. The two verbs “have tried” and “find” should be parallel because they convey two actions closely related to each other. So, Option C can be eliminated.

The pronoun ‘it’ is appropriate because the antecedent of the pronoun is the singular noun ‘language’. The verbs ‘have tried’ and ‘have found’ are parallel to each other. Therefore, A is the most appropriate option.

Jayanthi Kumar.
Own Kudos [?]: 7790 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Kalpit1212
In formal writing, we generally say "try to do X" rather than "try doing X." In casual speech, the latter is quite common.
[fraction]GMATNinja[/fraction] wrote:
Quote:
In C, why you were ok with first 'It' but not the second.

Posted from my mobile device

Take another look at (C): "and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried counting it typically find." "It" seems to refer to "a language." So let's substitute "language" for the pronoun in each case:

1) the sub-languages or dialects within a language

This makes sense. A language can have sub-languages or dialects within it.

2) those who have tried counting a language

It doesn't really make any sense to count a language, does it? It's far more logical to "count" something when we're referring to multiple entities.

I hope that helps!

GMATNinja
When IT refers back to 'x', then it (IT) can also refers back to 'y', isn't it? So, if the first IT refers to 'language' then the 2nd IT can refers back to 'number of languages' too. So, what's wrong if the 2nd IT refers back to 'number of languages'?
Thanks__
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63872 [1]
Given Kudos: 1782
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
[fraction]GMATNinja[/fraction] wrote:
Quote:
In C, why you were ok with first 'It' but not the second.

Take another look at (C): "and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried counting it typically find." "It" seems to refer to "a language." So let's substitute "language" for the pronoun in each case:

1) the sub-languages or dialects within a language

This makes sense. A language can have sub-languages or dialects within it.

2) those who have tried counting a language

It doesn't really make any sense to count a language, does it? It's far more logical to "count" something when we're referring to multiple entities.

I hope that helps!

GMATNinja
When IT refers back to 'x', then it (IT) can also refers back to 'y', isn't it? So, if the first IT refers to 'language' then the 2nd IT can refers back to 'number of languages' too. So, what's wrong if the 2nd IT refers back to 'number of languages'?
Thanks__

Two issues here. First, while you're right that there's no rule that two identical pronouns can't refer to different antecedents, it's awfully confusing if they do. Anytime you have a choice between an option that's clear and obvious and one that requires multiple reads to figure out what the heck is going on, you'd always prefer the former.

Second, the phrase "a number of languages" never appears in the sentence -- a pronoun can't refer to something that isn't there!

The takeaway: don't overthink pronoun usage. If you see a pronoun, try to find a logical antecedent within the sentence. If you find one, move on to other issues. If there is no logical antecedent, get rid of the option. If you find a logical antecedent, but it's confusing or requires a fair amount of work to locate, don't eliminate the option quite yet, but be on the lookout for an alternative that clarifies the issue.

I hope that helps!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Hi AndrewN sir

I would like to confirm whether in A' find could also be right?

Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the world, partly because of the difficulty of distinguishing between a language and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried to count typically have found about five thousand.

(A) and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried to count typically have found
(A') and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried to count typically FIND

Kindly give your opinion.

Thanks!
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6885 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
mSKR wrote:
Hi AndrewN sir

I would like to confirm whether in A' find could also be right?

(A') and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried to count typically FIND

Kindly give your opinion.

Thanks!

Hello, mSKR. It is not that your proposed sentence absolutely could not work, but the original is better left as is, in which have tried and have found are perfectly parallel and add to this aura of mystery as to the exact number of languages. We are encountering information on results. By contrast, find pigeonholes that same information and projects into the future. Apparently, every single person who makes an attempt, or even will make an attempt, to count the number of world languages typically lands on some number close to five thousand. That meaning seems more debatable and less satisfying than what was already in place. Be careful not to let conciseness guide your hand over meaning, particularly when parallelism is involved.

I hope that helps. Thank you for thinking to ask me.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 279
Concentration: Technology, Statistics
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hello Sir EducationAisle

Are these sentences (not really related to the question but to the form of tenses used in it) valid:

1. Those who tried have succeeded.
2. Those who have tried have succeeded.
3. Those who have been trying have succeeded.
4. Those who tried have been succeeding.

I know all these sentences are trying to convey different things, but grammatically, are all structures valid?

CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Vishalcv wrote:
Hello Sir EducationAisle

Are these sentences (not really related to the question but to the form of tenses used in it) valid:

1. Those who tried have succeeded.
2. Those who have tried have succeeded.
3. Those who have been trying have succeeded.
4. Those who tried have been succeeding.

I know all these sentences are trying to convey different things, but grammatically, are all structures valid?

Hi Vishal, it's difficult to deliver a judgment on these pieces of sentences!

Generally speaking however, the use of present perfect is associated with unspecified time ("those who have tried" means those who have tried at some unspecified time before now) have succeeded. Since "unspecified time" is the context here, my pick would be #2.

Having said that, a case can indeed be made for each of the above sentences; actual GMAT sentences using the above sentence-forms, would result in a more meaningful discussion.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 2.95
Send PM
GMATNinja

I am just curious about "tried to count / tried counting" in A/B
Are they both correct?

I know they have different meanings.
So in this context, is "tried to count" better than "tried counting"?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63872 [1]
Given Kudos: 1782
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
huchanbert wrote:
GMATNinja

I am just curious about "tried to count / tried counting" in A/B
Are they both correct?

I know they have different meanings.
So in this context, is "tried to count" better than "tried counting"?

As Dmitry Farber noted in an earlier post, when we try to do something, we are making an attempt that may or may not be successful. But when we try doing something, we're actually performing the action, perhaps to see if we enjoy it.

For instance, "Tim tried to make raw-cookie-dough pancakes," suggests that Tim made an attempt to make this type of pancake, but may have failed. (How do you cook the pancake without cooking the raw cookie dough?)

But "Tim tried making raw-cookie-dough pancakes," suggests that Tim was trying out a new activity to see if he enjoyed it, and in this case, he succeeded in making the pancakes. (The key is adding the dough at the last possible moment. Also, please don't do this, because salmonella is a thing. :) )

In this SC problem, it makes more sense to write "tried to count" because we're told that nobody knows exactly how many languages there are -- this means that an attempt was made, but that the attempt may not have been entirely successful. This is more logical than "tried counting," which suggests that someone successfully counted all the languages because he wanted to see if it would be fun.

That said, if you didn't feel comfortable differentiating between those subtle meaning differences, there are some nice, juicy pronoun/logic issues to use as decision points instead.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: IIMB EPGP'23
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
Send PM
Again a Good Q. and it's easy to get confused among the answer choices.
Sometimes I feel it is better to use the elimination tactic first rather than reading all the answer choices.
if we see a strong flaw, we need to immediately eliminate the wrong ones without reading them completely.

Note:: GMAT loves Between X and Y. I ve noticed its frequent usage ==> D,E are out
Since the question represents a contrasting situation hence "but" shall be preferred
==>B is out
now in A vs C
counting "it" is wrong per the intended meaning. since counting refers to the counting of all languages, sub languages and dialects ==> singular pronoun usage of "it" is wrong ==> C is out
==> A is the answer

Extra Note::
I got so confused between "within it" and "within them" that I lost focus on the simple idiom "between x and y" and other possible flaws and chose a wrong answer.

Many a time, we need to let it go and look for other possible flaws. Sticking on a particular flaw (provided we are not sure) can waste time and effort.
I have noticed that tough questions have multiple hints. All that is required is a sharp eye.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Please help with option C. Right now option (C)= and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried counting it typically find

But if (C) and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried counting ""them"" typically find... would this have been okay?
+is **counting** used in this option correct?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4684 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Mansha1412 wrote:
Please help with option C. Right now option (C)= and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried counting it typically find

But if (C) and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried counting ""them"" typically find... would this have been okay?
+is **counting** used in this option correct?

Hello Mansha1412,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, even if the pronoun error in Option C were resolved, it would still suffer from multiple flaws.

Option C incorrectly uses the simple present tense verb “find” to refer to an action that concluded in the past but continues to affect the present; please remember, the present perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “has/have”) is used to describe events that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present, and the simple present tense is used to indicate actions taking place in the current time frame, indicate habitual actions, state universal truths, and convey information that is permanent in nature. Further, Option C uses the present participle (“verb+ing” – “counting” in this sentence) to refer to the intent behind the action “tried”; please remember, the infinitive verb form (“to + base form of verb”) is preferred over the present participle (“verb+ing” – “counting” in this sentence) for referring to the purpose/intent of an action.

To understand the concept of "Simple Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

To understand the concept of "Present Perfect Tense" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

To understand the concept of using "Infinitive Verb Forms" and "Present Participles" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Leadership, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.8
WE:Operations (Telecommunications)
Send PM
nightwing79 wrote:

(B) and the sub-languages or dialects within them, with those who have tried counting typically finding

(C) and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried counting it typically find

(D) or the sub-languages or dialects within them, but those who tried to count them typically found

(E) or the sub-languages or dialects within them, with those who have tried to count typically finding

Attachment:
L1.jpg

Attachment:
L2.jpg

Idiom : between __ and , (A,B,C)
B: "them" eliminate as language is singular
C : eliminate ,usage of IT is ambiguous ( can refer to dialects or language )

A remains .
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Anuj6221 wrote:
C : eliminate ,usage of IT is ambiguous ( can refer to dialects or language )

A very minor (but important) observation Anuj: "it" can only refer to "singular non-person" nouns and hence, "it" cannot refer to the plural noun "dialects".
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts