Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:04 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
Schools: HBS (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.97
Send PM
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2414 [0]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [1]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic] [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Wow … You even found an image for it for the post :blushing: ….

I don't think anything is going away.
While neither you or I have a crystal ball or access to the non-public information, I can see a number of reasons why it is unlikely that GMAC is moving to online only tests. It would be very shortsighted And GMAC committing a suicide by doing something like that, at this point in time.

1. As you pointed out, GMAT online can only be taken two times. And if someone can only take two tests at least at this time, versus five in 12 months or 8 in a lifetime. How does that make it more profitable? They would have to wait at least until one can take GMAT online multiple times. Otherwise they will be eliminating a lot of opportunities for people to take tests and for them to make money. As you pointed out, this would be a requirement for doing online-only testing.

2. Online tests are not loved by anyone and I mean everyone doesn’t think they’re great. This would be another nail on the coffin of GMAT and the wind for the GRE if this happens. GMAT cannot afford that and this would be a certain death.

3. They just renewed the contract with Pearson: https://thepienews.com/news/pearson-vue ... aboration/ seems like it would be an odd timing for that though I can see how they may have modified the agreement but this appears to be a bit premature to pencil a new agreement. At the same time, I wonder if one the provisions of the agreement guaranteed GMAC a certain number of spots/seats per month/year at the test centers and now that is going away (like a commitment) - this could be an interesting development....

4. GMAC just had an annual Summit last week where they did not share any details or actually anything if I understand that correctly
https://gmatclub.com/forum/anything-you ... 60644.html

5. There is a possibility GMAT may one day move to online-only testing but I think it will be a while until that happens.

Most likely this is a combination of pent up demand of test-takers across the board since Pearson does testing for NUMEROUS tests and I suspect a number of them have been locked out during the pandemic and did not have an online alternative. While it is not likely that the in-person tests are going away, I think it would be smart to monitor your test center availability just in case things fill up....

Posted from my mobile device

mcelroytutoring wrote:
To all the GMAT conspiracy theorists: is it possible that GMAC is slowly phasing out the in-person GMAT, but not telling us yet? I'm nearly positive that the GMAT online is far more profitable for GMAC than is the test-center GMAT, due to drastically lowered costs.

Also, my private students have begun reporting that very few in-person test times are available in their areas, and I can confirm the same. Has the in-person GMAT really become that popular (perhaps due to the rumors about the GMAT online Quant section), is it COVID related, or is there something else going on here?

If GMAC does drop the in-person GMAT, then I'm highly confident it will also remove the 2-test lifetime limit for the online exam.

One thing is for sure: this summer, test-center GMAT appointments are few and far between. The question is, why?

Fair warning: book your appointment(s) for the test-center GMAT now, while you still can.

Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2414 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Hm, very interesting news about the Pearson VUE contract extension—thanks for sharing. I did some searching and found this article too:

https://home.pearsonvue.com/About/News/ ... -GMAC.aspx

However, I find it telling that neither GMAC nor Pearson VUE has disclosed the duration of this new contract extension, despite announcing the (12-year) duration the last time the contract was extended:

https://www.gmac.com/news-center/gmac-p ... lationship
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Hm, very interesting news about the Pearson VUE contract extension—thanks for sharing. I did some searching and found this article too:

https://home.pearsonvue.com/About/News/ ... -GMAC.aspx

However, I find it telling that neither GMAC nor Pearson VUE has disclosed the duration of this new contract extension, despite announcing the (12-year) duration the last time the contract was extended:

https://www.gmac.com/news-center/gmac-p ... lationship

Agree, I found the press release when it came out a week or two ago to be a bit pointless and really not sharing much at all. A contract like that potentially has many elements (e.g. minimum commitment of tests, some kind of guarantees about geographical coverage, and other things that make it possible for Pearson to rent and open locations around the world). I suspect some of them may have changed such as GMAC committing to fewer tests (e.g. we don't really know how it is structured, GMAC may be committing to a certain number of tests to pay for them or perhaps they have a different arrangement. One of the possibilities is that GMAC may have tried to reduce the number of guaranteed seats available for GMAT and that may have triggered the change in available slots/inventory (could totally be a bug on a Sunday too :lol: that we are wasting our time researching).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
My test got cancelled due to low internet connectivity and it happened before the check in process. Has anyone faced this issue and was able to retake the test without additional cost ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [1]
Given Kudos: 211
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Send PM
Kudos
Hi bb,

Taking the GMAT online in the next 48 hours. Need to know if we can take the GMAT online in the living room. Because my wifi doesn't reach my room. So i have to take it in the living room. I stay alone so there is no way there will be anyone at my place but yet concerned if there is some rule that the room needs to be enclosed by four walls ( none such mentioned in their list of policies and procedures ) .
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools: LBS '24
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
Send PM
Are the number of attempts for GMAT Online restricted to 2 only.

I had appeared for GMAT Online last year around 22nd July. And will be appearing this year again. It would be helpful if anyone could respond. Thanks.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi gmat1102,

Yes - currently, each Test-taker has just 2 attempts at the At-home GMAT (and those 2 attempts do 'count' towards the 8-attempt lifetime limit).

Did you end up applying to Schools with your 690?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi gmat1102,

Yes - currently, each Test-taker has just 2 attempts at the At-home GMAT (and those 2 attempts do 'count' towards the 8-attempt lifetime limit).

Did you end up applying to Schools with your 690?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

EMPOWERgmatRichC But I had appeared for the test when GMAC said that the attempt will not be counted towards the lifetime attempts. I am not sure whether it still will get counted towards the lifetime attempt.

Yes, I did apply to a few schools but did not get through primarily because of low GMAT.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2414 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
I think what Rich meant is that GMAT online attempts now count toward your lifetime limit.

You are correct that prior to 9/23/20, GMAT online attempts did not count toward the lifetime limit:

Source: https://www.mba.com/frequently-asked-qu ... #question3
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Hey guys, I have registered to take the online GMAT and had a couple of questions regarding the process.

Q1 - How does the test day work? Any information on how to access the test on test day would be great!
The way I see it is -
i. Log in to mba.com and then go to the examity portal from there (there is no particular login ID/password for the examity portal right?)
ii. Go to the start exam tab on the examity portal and then start the test.

Q2 - Is there a way to test the ESSecure browser? I've downloaded the browser, but nothing seems to happen when I am trying to open it. Sorry, I'm a little bit of a noob when it comes to tech (I'm using a Mac)

Q3 - Is zoom enough to connect with the proctor or do I need to make an account on Gotomeeting as well?

Also, if there is a post that has anything worth knowing before the exam, please point me to it. A big thanks in advance! :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mcelroytutoring wrote:
I think what Rich meant is that GMAT online attempts now count toward your lifetime limit.

You are correct that prior to 9/23/20, GMAT online attempts did not count toward the lifetime limit:

Source: https://www.mba.com/frequently-asked-qu ... #question3

mcelroytutoring thank you for the response. So will this be my last attempt for GMAT Online?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2414 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
gmat1102 wrote:
mcelroytutoring thank you for the response. So will this be my last attempt for GMAT Online?

No problem, gmat1102. You indicated in your original post that you took the GMAT online once in July 2020, which is prior to the September 2020 cutoff, so that attempt should not count toward your 2-exam limit. Hence, you should have 2 more attempts left at the GMAT online.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 52
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Kudos
Brian123 wrote:
Hey guys, I have registered to take the online GMAT and had a couple of questions regarding the process.

Q1 - How does the test day work? Any information on how to access the test on test day would be great!
The way I see it is -
i. Log in to mba.com and then go to the examity portal from there (there is no particular login ID/password for the examity portal right?)

Q2 - Is there a way to test the ESSecure browser? I've downloaded the browser, but nothing seems to happen when I am trying to open it. Sorry, I'm a little bit of a noob when it comes to tech (I'm using a Mac)

Q3 - Is zoom enough to connect with the proctor or do I need to make an account on Gotomeeting as well?

Also, if there is a post that has anything worth knowing before the exam, please point me to it. A big thanks in advance! :)

Hi Brian123
I gave my GMAT last week. I'll be happy to help.

Q1 - Yes you are right. That's how you start the test. You open the mba.com on your regular browser (chrome, safari) and after the checkin process is complete and you click on the actual Begin Exam link, the link would open in the ESSecure browser.

Q2 - I am afraid not. I tried the same to avoid any surprises on the test day but i guess only certain types of links can be opened on the ESSecure browser(like the actual exam link). Clicking on the exam link(which you opened on a different browser) will launch a prompt asking if you want to launch this link with the ESSecure browser.

Q3 - Zoom would be enough. I have used zoom as well.

Here are some of the Enhanced Online experience posts that i found helpful:
1.https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-online-what-we-know-319048-3280.html#p2789506
2.https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-online-enhanced-debrief-710-q49-v40-358536.html
3.https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-online-what-we-know-319048-3380.html#p2808202
EDIT : my own experience - https://gmatclub.com/forum/my-enhanced-gmat-online-experience-363236.html#p2815966

I'll post my exam experience in a while. Please do keep a watch on this topic.
Best of luck for your exam. When is your exam btw?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
URv wrote:
Brian123 wrote:

The way I see it is -

Hi Brian123

Q1 - Yes you are right. That's how you start the test. You open the mba.com on your regular browser (chrome, safari) and after the checkin process is complete and you click on the actual Begin Exam link, the link would open in the ESSecure browser.

Q2 - I am afraid not. I tried the same to avoid any surprises on the test day but i guess only certain types of links can be opened on the ESSecure browser(like the actual exam link). Clicking on the exam link(which you opened on a different browser) will launch a prompt asking if you want to launch this link with the ESSecure browser.

2.https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-online-enhanced-debrief-710-q49-v40-358536.html
EDIT : my own experience - https://gmatclub.com/forum/my-enhanced-gmat-online-experience-363236.html#p2815966

Thanks URv, you're awesome and so is your debrief. Congrats on the score! :)
If I may ask, how exactly does the proctor connect to you? Does it happen automatically when you open the examity portal? Sounds like it will be pretty straight forward, but I just want to be sure. Also, my exam is on Sunday. Fingers crossed.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 52
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Kudos
Brian123 wrote:
URv wrote:
Brian123 wrote:

The way I see it is -

Hi Brian123

Thanks URv, you're awesome and so is your debrief. Congrats on the score! :)
If I may ask, how exactly does the proctor connect to you? Does it happen automatically when you open the examity portal? Sounds like it will be pretty straight forward, but I just want to be sure. Also, my exam is on Sunday. Fingers crossed.

Hi Brian123
Thanks mate.
You'll connect to the proctor once you open the examity portal and begin the exam(not the actual test i'm talking about the 15 mins checkin process) and click connect to the proctor option. Don't stress too much about this it'll be pretty straight forward.
Ohh great. All the best, just rock it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V32
Send PM
Can I attempt GMAT Online on my bed? I have like a mini table for bed, which I use for working and I have attempted my mocks in this setup. Wanted to know if this would work in actual Online GMAT.

bb GMATNinja

Originally posted by Aragorn101 on 02 Jul 2021, 05:01.
Last edited by Aragorn101 on 02 Jul 2021, 23:03, edited 1 time in total.
I have a few questions regarding the new online enhanced GMAT
Hope anyone can clarify

1) The software requirements suggest 2 antivirus software for the new GMAT whereas the previous online GMAT mentioned no such requirements...Can someone clarify.

2) On the day of the exam previously for verification they had an option to choose phone or webcam...is it still the same or do we have only webcam option. A bit concerned about having to tilt the laptop for the 360 degree thing while connected to the LAN.

3) I checked for the rescheduling fees but they haven't mentioned a specific charge for the online exam...does anyone know about this?

4) also, will the go to meeting be installed during the check in process or should it be done prior to the exam day.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  168   169   170   171   172  ...  183