Last visit was: 24 Jul 2024, 04:46 It is currently 24 Jul 2024, 04:46
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14762 [5]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [1]
Given Kudos: 126
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [2]
Given Kudos: 368
Send PM
Re: Pack 9 Q5: Authored shortly after World War Two, Victor Frankl's... [#permalink]
Kudos
"Authored shortly after ..." needs to modify something that can be authored. A book.

Hence, D and E are out.

I believe that accredited will behave similar to attributed in that they should both be of the form:
... attributed X to Y...

Only C is correct.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Posted from my mobile device
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14762 [1]
Send PM
Re: Pack 9 Q5: Authored shortly after World War Two, Victor Frankl's... [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

Authored shortly after World War Two, Victor Frankl’s Man’s Search for Meaning (1946) and The Unconscious God (1948) accredited man’s drive to stay alive to be the result of the desire to find significance in life during even the most arduous of times.

A. Victor Frankl’s Man’s Search for Meaning (1946) and The Unconscious God (1948) accredited man’s drive to stay alive to be the result of
B. Victor Frankl’s Man’s Search for Meaning (1946) and The Unconscious God (1948) accredited man’s drive to stay alive to result from
C. Victor Frankl’s Man’s Search for Meaning (1946) and The Unconscious God (1948) accredited man’s drive to stay alive to
D. in Man’s Search for Meaning (1946) and The Unconscious God (1948), Victor Frankl accredited man’s drive to stay alive to have been the result of
E. Victor Frankl, in Man’s Search for Meaning (1946) and The Unconscious God (1948), accredited man’s drive to stay alive to

This question deals with two issues. The first is the correct use of commas and modifiers. The second is proper idiom format, being “accredited A to B.”

Since idioms tend to be easier to deal with than modifiers, let’s start with that. The proper idiom is “accredited A to B.” Let’s eliminate any options that don’t follow that format. To make it easier to spot, let’s add in the non-underlined end of the sentence:

A) Victor Frankl’s Man’s Search for Meaning (1946) and The Unconscious God (1948) accredited man’s drive to stay alive to be the result of the desire to find significance in life during even the most arduous of times. → accredited X to be the result of Y = WRONG

B) Victor Frankl’s Man’s Search for Meaning (1946) and The Unconscious God (1948) accredited man’s drive to stay alive to result from the desire to find significance in life during even the most arduous of times. → accredited X to result from Y = WRONG

C) Victor Frankl’s Man’s Search for Meaning (1946) and The Unconscious God (1948) accredited man’s drive to stay alive to the desire to find significance in life during even the most arduous of times. → accredited X to Y = OKAY

D) in Man’s Search for Meaning (1946) and The Unconscious God (1948), Victor Frankl accredited man’s drive to stay alive to have been the result of the desire to find significance in life during even the most arduous of times. → accredited X to have been the result of Y = WRONG

E) Victor Frankl, in Man’s Search for Meaning (1946) and The Unconscious God (1948), accredited man’s drive to stay alive to the desire to find significance in life during even the most arduous of times. → accredited X to Y = OKAY

We can eliminate options A, B, & D because they don’t follow the idiom “attributed X to Y.” Now that we have it narrowed down to only 2 choices, let’s focus our attention on modifiers and commas. We need to make sure the modifiers and antecedents match up and are next to each other, and we also need to check if there are any comma issues. Again, to make problems easier to spot let’s add in the non-underlined portions:

C) Authored shortly after World War Two, Victor Frankl’s Man’s Search for Meaning (1946) and The Unconscious God (1948) accredited man’s drive to stay alive to the desire to find significance in life during even the most arduous of times.
This is our CORRECT choice! The modifier “Authored shortly after World War Two” is placed directly before the two books that were authored, so that’s good. There aren’t any additional commas to deal with, and the idiom is correct.

E) Authored shortly after World War Two, Victor Frankl, in Man’s Search for Meaning (1946) and The Unconscious God (1948), accredited man’s drive to stay alive to the desire to find significance in life during even the most arduous of times.
This is INCORRECT for a couple reasons. First, the modifier “Authored shortly after World War Two” is right next to Victor Frankl, and NOT his books. Since a writer cannot be “authored,” this is a misplaced modifier. Second, the commas on either side of the book titles makes them non-essential clauses. This means we should be able to take out this phrase without changing the meaning - but if we do, we’ve taken out the thing that is “authored!” This information IS essential to the intended meaning, so it shouldn’t have commas surrounding it.

There you have it - option C is the correct choice! By focusing first on the idiom, we could eliminate 3 options rather quickly before tackling the more complex issues with modifiers and commas!

Don’t study for the GMAT. Train for it.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14762 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
josetm12 wrote:
"Authored shortly after ..." needs to modify something that can be authored. A book.

Hence, D and E are out.

I believe that accredited will behave similar to attributed in that they should both be of the form:
... attributed X to Y...

Only C is correct.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Posted from my mobile device

Well done, josetm12! You cracked the code on both the idiom and modifier issues! Kudos to you, and we look forward to more great explanations from you in our next pack of questions! :)
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Send PM
Expert Reply
thenikhilseth wrote:
I think the right answer is E option.

Area tested here - Modifiers and idiom.
Now Authored is past participle of Author, I think it can modify a person only.
So I eliminate A,B and C because Authored is modifying The books of Victor Frankl.

Now in D and E, I find Credit X to Y as a better idiom. I choose E over D because i Find that Authored is modifying Victor Frankl.

You were so close thenikhilseth! The term "authored" is a more formal way of saying "written." A person cannot be "authored" or "written" - only a piece of writing can be that. Therefore, you needed to eliminate any options that stated Frankl was the one being authored. Check out the official explanation for more on how to tackle this one, and we look forward to more great explanations from you in Pack 10, which starts today!
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Send PM
Expert Reply
MrSengupta wrote:
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Pack 9, Question 5 of 5:

Authored shortly after World War Two, Victor Frankl’s Man’s Search for Meaning (1946) and The Unconscious God (1948) accredited man’s drive to stay alive to be the result of the desire to find significance in life during even the most arduous of times.

A. Victor Frankl’s Man’s Search for Meaning (1946) and The Unconscious God (1948) accredited man’s drive to stay alive to be the result of
B. Victor Frankl’s Man’s Search for Meaning (1946) and The Unconscious God (1948) accredited man’s drive to stay alive to result from
C. Victor Frankl’s Man’s Search for Meaning (1946) and The Unconscious God (1948) accredited man’s drive to stay alive to
D. in Man’s Search for Meaning (1946) and The Unconscious God (1948), Victor Frankl accredited man’s drive to stay alive to have been the result of
E. Victor Frankl, in Man’s Search for Meaning (1946) and The Unconscious God (1948), accredited man’s drive to stay alive to

◀ Pack 9, Question 4
▶ Pack 10, Question 1
COMING SOON!
⏏ Question Pack Home

48 Hour Window To Win An $85 EMPOWERgmat Tuition Credit (1 Month Free!)
Share your explanation! The GMAT Club member with the most verified Kudos in total on the 5 question SC Block 9 question pack will win an $85 EMPOWERgmat tuition credit, which will entitle the winner to a full month of complete access to the EMPOWERgmat system. Even if you're not sure about your answer or your rationale, share your explanation to help boost your learning and earn a chance to win.

To be eligible, your explanation must:
    be submitted within the 48 hour window after this post was created
    should explain your reasoning why the answer you chose is correct, and why the other 4 options are incorrect within 48 hours of this post

The OA and official explanation will be held until the 48 hour window has lapsed.

The correct answer is (B) since the "to result from" is the correct way to say.

You were close, MrSengupta! Check out the official explanation in the comments to see how to tackle this question.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 869 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6991 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts