GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Sep 2018, 10:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Pecan growers get a high price for their crop when pecans are

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P
Re: Pecan growers get a high price for their crop when pecans are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2018, 05:05
hdavies wrote:
I originally chose A because in my passage notes, I had written that a possible answer should point to "abundant crops within 2 years". What threw me off about choice A was the word "record-breaking". I felt it was too strong of a description for the answer to be right.

I often come across this point of view - "an option is too strong/extreme and hence must be incorrect". But this is not right.

What do you mean by too strong? The argument could very well warrant strong language.

Here, more the production in the last two years, better the argument. So "record-breaking" is actually re-assuring. If more is leftover from last two years, we will need to hold back more of this year's produce.

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2018, 06:33
hi, anyone can help explain what E says?
I think the subject of E is the practice, the verb is had not yet become widespread.
IMO, practice means the action of store pecan. so Does E say that the action of store had not been well known?
i Dont understand "the last time the pecan crop was as small as it was this year."
The first part of E states the action had not been wel known, the second states the previous yield was same as this year yield
Its strange,
it is hard for me to understand E

Please clarify

Thanks in advance
Have a nice day
>_~
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2018, 10:07
zoezhuyan wrote:
hi, anyone can help explain what E says?
I think the subject of E is the practice, the verb is had not yet become widespread.
IMO, practice means the action of store pecan. so Does E say that the action of store had not been well known?
i Dont understand "the last time the pecan crop was as small as it was this year."
The first part of E states the action had not been wel known, the second states the previous yield was same as this year yield
Its strange,
it is hard for me to understand E

Please clarify

Thanks in advance
Have a nice day
>_~

Hey zoezhuyan ,

I will try to explain you E in simpler terms.

Let's say this year(2018) crop was the lowest and the last time it was lowest was in 2010. Now, E is saying in 2010, we never used to hold back any crop across as much as as we are holding the crop this year.

Does that make sense?

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2018, 11:06
I wrongly selected C as the answer and needed some clarification on how the following thought process is incorrect/less suitable:

Since ‘growers often hold back part of their crop in refrigerated warehouses for one or two years hoping for higher prices in the future’

And given C) pecan prices have not been subject to SHARP fluctuations in recent years

Can we not conclude that growers hold back some of the produce in their first year of low harvest (smallest in five years according to the question) because prices do not fluctuate rapidly and will take time to reach their highest which is when the growers would want to sell?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Pecan growers get a high price for their crop when pecans are &nbs [#permalink] 18 Sep 2018, 11:06

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 24 posts ] 

Pecan growers get a high price for their crop when pecans are

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap