GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Jun 2019, 19:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Political ideals must be based upon ideals for the individual life. Th

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Director
Director
User avatar
D
Joined: 05 Feb 2018
Posts: 516
Location: India
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 2.77
WE: General Management (Other)
Political ideals must be based upon ideals for the individual life. Th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2018, 11:45
Question 1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 51 sessions

43% (02:08) correct 57% (02:33) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 2
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 52 sessions

50% (01:19) correct 50% (00:57) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 3
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 49 sessions

55% (00:57) correct 45% (00:52) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Political ideals must be based upon ideals for the individual life. The aim of politics should be to make the lives of individuals as good as possible. There is nothing for the politician
to consider outside or above the various men, women, and children who compose the world. The problem of politics is to adjust the relations of human beings in such a way that each severally may have as much of good in his existence as possible. And this problem requires that we should first consider what it is that we think is good in the individual life.

To begin with, we do not want all men to be alike. We do not want to lay down a pattern or type to which men of all sorts are made by some means or another to approximate. This is the ideal of the impatient administrator. A bad teacher will aim at imposing his opinion, and turning out a set of pupils all of whom will give the same definite answer on a doubtful point. Mr. Bernard Shaw is said to hold that Troilus and Cressida is the best of Shakespeare's plays. Although I disagree with this opinion, I should welcome it in a pupil as a sign of individuality but most teachers would not tolerate such a heterodox view. Not only teachers but all commonplace persons in authority desire in their subordinates that kind of uniformity which makes their actions easily predictable and never inconvenient.
The result is that they crush initiative and individuality when they can, and when they cannot, they quarrel with it.

It is not one ideal for all men, but a separate ideal for each separate man, that has to be realized if possible. This is because every man has it in his or her being to develop into something good or bad: there is a best possible for him, and a worst possible. His circumstances will determine whether his capacities for good are developed or crushed, and whether his bad impulses are strengthened or gradually diverted into better channels.
Q1) What is the function of the second paragraph in the passage?
A. To prove a point stated earlier in the passage
B. To explain one way in which a particular aim cannot be achieved
C. To criticise the teaching style of certain teachers
D. To conclude that people in general like uniformity in their subordinates
E. To describe why individual initiative needs to be encouraged


Q2) Which of the following is implied by the information in the passage?
A. It would lead to a lot of confusion if every individual was to have his or her own views
B. External forces do not determine whether a man turns out good or bad
C. Most teachers prefer homogeneity among their students‘ views
D. The most important duty of a politician is to ensure the happiness of people
E. Bernard Shaw was a big fan of Shakespeare‘s works

Q3) Which of the following can be concluded about the author of the passage?
A. He dislikes politicians who don‘t try to make the lives of people good
B. He would be happy if people disagreed with his views
C. He is not too fond of Shakespeare‘s works
D. He has an oversimplified view of politics
E. He would be critical of a teacher who encourages his pupils to ask questions



_________________
Director
Director
User avatar
D
Joined: 05 Feb 2018
Posts: 516
Location: India
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 2.77
WE: General Management (Other)
Re: Political ideals must be based upon ideals for the individual life. Th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2018, 11:57

Topic and scope


To state that the aim of politics should be make the lives of individuals as good as possible and that this cannot be done by encouraging everyone to behave similarly but by allowing individuals to have their own separate points of view

Passage Map


Para 1 asserts that the aim of politics should be to make the lives of individuals as good as possible and attempts to find what is meant by ‗good‘ in this context
Para 2 states that one way lives of individuals cannot be made good is by encouraging them to be alike
Para 3 explains why the concept of different ideals for different individuals makes logical sense
_________________
Director
Director
User avatar
D
Joined: 05 Feb 2018
Posts: 516
Location: India
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 2.77
WE: General Management (Other)
Re: Political ideals must be based upon ideals for the individual life. Th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2018, 11:58
2

Official Answers and Explanations


Q1) What is the function of the second paragraph in the passage?
A. To prove a point stated earlier in the passage
B. To explain one way in which a particular aim cannot be achieved
C. To criticise the teaching style of certain teachers
D. To conclude that people in general like uniformity in their subordinates
E. To describe why individual initiative needs to be encouraged
The ‗function‘ of the second paragraph does not mean that we have to summarise what is stated in this paragraph but rather explain why the author is providing this information.
Obviously the author talks about the desire for uniformity to explain that this is one way by which good cannot be done for people. Hence (B) is the best answer.
A – There is no such point stated earlier in the passage
C – Too specific; we need to answer why the author does this and not what he does
D – Same as C
E – This description actually comes in the 3rd paragraph

Q2) Which of the following is implied by the information in the passage?
A. It would lead to a lot of confusion if every individual was to have his or her own views
B. External forces do not determine whether a man turns out good or bad
C. Most teachers prefer homogeneity among their students’ views
D. The most important duty of a politician is to ensure the happiness of people
E. Bernard Shaw was a big fan of Shakespeare‘s works
The 2nd paragraph clearly states that most teachers prefer that their students have a common view on some doubtful point and that they do not like heterodox or unorthodox views. Thus (C) should be the best answer.
A – The passage never states this
B – The last para states that an individuals‘ circumstances i.e. external forces, determine whether he turns out good or bad
D. According to the passage the most important duty of a politician is to make the lives of people as good as possible but that may not necessarily mean making their lives ‗happy‘
E. There is nothing in the passage to suggest this

Q3) Which of the following can be concluded about the author of the passage?
A. He dislikes politicians who don‘t try to make the lives of people good
B. He would be happy if people disagreed with his views
C. He is not too fond of Shakespeare‘s works
D. He has an oversimplified view of politics
E. He would be critical of a teacher who encourages his pupils to ask questions
The author clearly supports the point of view that every individual should have his or her own views so he would not want everyone to agree with his views. (B) should be the best answer.
A – The passage never implies that the author ‗dislikes‘ such politicians
C – The passage never states this
D – There is nothing in the passage to suggest this and we cannot use outside knowledge while answering questions. Remember the question does not ask for our opinion of the author
E – Opposite. He would most likely applaud such a teacher.

_________________
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 31 Mar 2018
Posts: 88
Re: Political ideals must be based upon ideals for the individual life. Th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2018, 07:55
shahabuddeen wrote:
:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: thank you



Can you explain the answers if you understood i'm stuck at two options everytime
_________________
If you think, I made some impact, give kudos!! it helps me

Best Regards
Murthy K
My other posts that helped aspirants

https://gmatclub.com/forum/p2255320
Procrastination vs Focus : https://gmatclub.com/forum/topic291963.html#p2250558
Director
Director
User avatar
D
Joined: 05 Feb 2018
Posts: 516
Location: India
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 2.77
WE: General Management (Other)
Re: Political ideals must be based upon ideals for the individual life. Th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2018, 11:12
1
GmatWizard wrote:

Official Answers and Explanations


Q1) What is the function of the second paragraph in the passage?
A. To prove a point stated earlier in the passage
B. To explain one way in which a particular aim cannot be achieved
C. To criticise the teaching style of certain teachers
D. To conclude that people in general like uniformity in their subordinates
E. To describe why individual initiative needs to be encouraged
The ‗function‘ of the second paragraph does not mean that we have to summarise what is stated in this paragraph but rather explain why the author is providing this information.
Obviously the author talks about the desire for uniformity to explain that this is one way by which good cannot be done for people. Hence (B) is the best answer.
A – There is no such point stated earlier in the passage
C – Too specific; we need to answer why the author does this and not what he does
D – Same as C
E – This description actually comes in the 3rd paragraph

Q2) Which of the following is implied by the information in the passage?
A. It would lead to a lot of confusion if every individual was to have his or her own views
B. External forces do not determine whether a man turns out good or bad
C. Most teachers prefer homogeneity among their students’ views
D. The most important duty of a politician is to ensure the happiness of people
E. Bernard Shaw was a big fan of Shakespeare‘s works
The 2nd paragraph clearly states that most teachers prefer that their students have a common view on some doubtful point and that they do not like heterodox or unorthodox views. Thus (C) should be the best answer.
A – The passage never states this
B – The last para states that an individuals‘ circumstances i.e. external forces, determine whether he turns out good or bad
D. According to the passage the most important duty of a politician is to make the lives of people as good as possible but that may not necessarily mean making their lives ‗happy‘
E. There is nothing in the passage to suggest this

Q3) Which of the following can be concluded about the author of the passage?
A. He dislikes politicians who don‘t try to make the lives of people good
B. He would be happy if people disagreed with his views
C. He is not too fond of Shakespeare‘s works
D. He has an oversimplified view of politics
E. He would be critical of a teacher who encourages his pupils to ask questions
The author clearly supports the point of view that every individual should have his or her own views so he would not want everyone to agree with his views. (B) should be the best answer.
A – The passage never implies that the author ‗dislikes‘ such politicians
C – The passage never states this
D – There is nothing in the passage to suggest this and we cannot use outside knowledge while answering questions. Remember the question does not ask for our opinion of the author
E – Opposite. He would most likely applaud such a teacher.


Hey hi Murthykvln94,
You can read the explanations here
_________________
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Feb 2018
Posts: 114
Re: Political ideals must be based upon ideals for the individual life. Th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2019, 23:26
GmatWizard Can you please tell me what 'aim' refers to in option B in question 1. Thanks!
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 29 Jan 2019
Posts: 67
Location: India
GPA: 4
WE: Business Development (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Political ideals must be based upon ideals for the individual life. Th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2019, 04:08
GittinGud wrote:
GmatWizard Can you please tell me what 'aim' refers to in option B in question 1. Thanks!


stated in 2nd line 'The aim of politics should be to make the lives of individuals as good as possible'.

stated in 2nd para 'The result is that they crush initiative and individuality when they can, and when they cannot, they quarrel with it.'

Hence, Aim cannot be achived

Re-read few lines you will get the main purpose.

Hope it Helps

Thanks= Kudos
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Feb 2019
Posts: 25
Re: Political ideals must be based upon ideals for the individual life. Th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2019, 02:47
1
Could you please explain question 3

Posted from my mobile device
Senior RC Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: ----__----___-----____-----
Joined: 02 Nov 2016
Posts: 2769
Location: Pakistan
GPA: 3.39
Re: Political ideals must be based upon ideals for the individual life. Th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2019, 16:27
Official Explanation


Q3) Which of the following can be concluded about the author of the passage?

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

The author clearly supports the point of view that every individual should have his or her own views so he would not want everyone to agree with his views. (B) should be the best answer.

A – The passage never implies that the author ‗dislikes‘ such politicians
C – The passage never states this
D – There is nothing in the passage to suggest this and we cannot use outside knowledge while answering questions. Remember the question does not ask for our opinion of the author
E – Opposite. He would most likely applaud such a teacher.

Answer: B


All Official explanations are available here.

Official Answers and Explanations


Q1) What is the function of the second paragraph in the passage?
A. To prove a point stated earlier in the passage
B. To explain one way in which a particular aim cannot be achieved
C. To criticise the teaching style of certain teachers
D. To conclude that people in general like uniformity in their subordinates
E. To describe why individual initiative needs to be encouraged
The ‗function‘ of the second paragraph does not mean that we have to summarise what is stated in this paragraph but rather explain why the author is providing this information.
Obviously the author talks about the desire for uniformity to explain that this is one way by which good cannot be done for people. Hence (B) is the best answer.
A – There is no such point stated earlier in the passage
C – Too specific; we need to answer why the author does this and not what he does
D – Same as C
E – This description actually comes in the 3rd paragraph

Q2) Which of the following is implied by the information in the passage?
A. It would lead to a lot of confusion if every individual was to have his or her own views
B. External forces do not determine whether a man turns out good or bad
C. Most teachers prefer homogeneity among their students’ views
D. The most important duty of a politician is to ensure the happiness of people
E. Bernard Shaw was a big fan of Shakespeare‘s works
The 2nd paragraph clearly states that most teachers prefer that their students have a common view on some doubtful point and that they do not like heterodox or unorthodox views. Thus (C) should be the best answer.
A – The passage never states this
B – The last para states that an individuals‘ circumstances i.e. external forces, determine whether he turns out good or bad
D. According to the passage the most important duty of a politician is to make the lives of people as good as possible but that may not necessarily mean making their lives ‗happy‘
E. There is nothing in the passage to suggest this

Q3) Which of the following can be concluded about the author of the passage?
A. He dislikes politicians who don‘t try to make the lives of people good
B. He would be happy if people disagreed with his views
C. He is not too fond of Shakespeare‘s works
D. He has an oversimplified view of politics
E. He would be critical of a teacher who encourages his pupils to ask questions
The author clearly supports the point of view that every individual should have his or her own views so he would not want everyone to agree with his views. (B) should be the best answer.
A – The passage never implies that the author ‗dislikes‘ such politicians
C – The passage never states this
D – There is nothing in the passage to suggest this and we cannot use outside knowledge while answering questions. Remember the question does not ask for our opinion of the author
E – Opposite. He would most likely applaud such a teacher.


Hope it Helps

blueshores wrote:
Could you please explain question 3

Posted from my mobile device

_________________
New Project RC Butler 2019 - Practice 2 RC Passages Everyday
Final days of the GMAT Exam? => All GMAT Flashcards.
This Post Helps = Press +1 Kudos
Best of Luck on the GMAT!!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Political ideals must be based upon ideals for the individual life. Th   [#permalink] 24 May 2019, 16:27
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Political ideals must be based upon ideals for the individual life. Th

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne