It is currently 17 Feb 2018, 23:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Political opinion and analysis outside the mainstream rarely are found

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Reviews Badge
Political opinion and analysis outside the mainstream rarely are found [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2017, 08:03
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

48% (01:39) correct 52% (02:21) wrong based on 241 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Political opinion and analysis outside the mainstream rarely are found on television talk shows, and it might be thought that this state of affairs is a product of the political agenda of the television stations themselves. In fact, television stations are driven by the same economic forces as sellers of more tangible goods. Because they must attempt to capture the largest possible share of the television audience for their shows, they air only those shows that will appeal to large numbers of people. As a result, political opinions and analyses aired on television talk shows are typically bland and innocuous.
An assumption made in the explanation offered by the author of the passage is that

A. most television viewers cannot agree on which elements of a particular opinion or analysis are most disturbing.
B. there are television viewers who might refuse to watch television talk shows that they knew would be controversial and disturbing.
C. each television viewer holds some opinion that is outside the political mainstream, but those opinions are not the same for everyone.
D. there are television shows on which economic forces have an even greater impact than they do on television talk shows.
E. the television talk shows of different stations resemble one another in most respects.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Top Contributor
Board of Directors
G
Re: Political opinion and analysis outside the mainstream rarely are found [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2017, 08:16
Top Contributor
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: Design (Manufacturing)
Political opinion and analysis outside the mainstream rarely are found [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2017, 08:20
Only E seems to be filling the logical gap. Since all different stations are airing more or less the same content , it is sane to generalize that political opinions discussed are of lesser interest to a broader audience.
What's the OA?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Expert Post
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Re: Political opinion and analysis outside the mainstream rarely are found [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2017, 14:22
ankujgupta wrote:
I am confused between B and E. Can someone explain

E is a good example of a typical trap answer, in that it seems to answer the question but does not really.

Notice what E actually says.

"the television talk shows of different stations resemble one another in most respects."

Does this really have to be true in order for the argument to work?

The author is saying that the opinions offered by television shows are in the "mainstream" and "innocuous".

However, there are to television shows many aspects other than the opinions discussed, aspects such as format, topic, and length. All of these could be different, even if the opinions offered were the same. So the shows could be different in many respects even if they were to offer the same types of opinions.

Further, the author is STATING AS FACT that the shows are bland. So the author is NOT ASSUMING anything about the content or the similarity of the shows. Rather the author is assuming things about THE REASONS for the shows' being bland and innocuous.

Now let's consider B.

"there are television viewers who might refuse to watch television talk shows that they knew would be controversial and disturbing."

To tell the truth, this question is not that tightly written. Does B really fill a gap? Perhaps.

Since none of the other answer choices work at all, let's discuss how B in a way fills a gap.

The authors conclusion is, basically, that the stations offer only bland and innocuous content in order to appeal to large numbers of people. The premise is that stations are driven by economic forces to appeal to large audiences.

There is a gap between the idea the the stations want to appeal to large audiences and the idea that therefore they offer bland and innocuous content. The author seems to be assuming that large numbers of people want bland and innocuous content.

Hence B.

Marty Murray
GMAT Coach
m.w.murray@hotmail.com
http://infinitemindprep.com

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 530 Q45 V20
GPA: 3.91
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2017, 11:32
I don't agree with the ans choice given here as correct. The stem says that - As a result, political opinions and analyses aired on television talk shows are typically bland and innocuous (means controversial) and people like to watch these shows. But option 'B' says opposite altogether. So as per my opinion B can not be the ans choice.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2017, 17:00
arunavamunshi1988 wrote:
I don't agree with the ans choice given here as correct. The stem says that - As a result, political opinions and analyses aired on television talk shows are typically bland and innocuous (means controversial) and people like to watch these shows. But option 'B' says opposite altogether. So as per my opinion B can not be the ans choice.

Innocuous actually means - something not harmful or offensive. This is the reason why such shows are appealing to people. Had those been controversial people would have refused to watch them - the assumption.

Please correct me in case I'm wrong; consider giving kudos, otherwise.

Political opinion and analysis outside the mainstream rarely are found   [#permalink] 22 Mar 2017, 17:00

Political opinion and analysis outside the mainstream rarely are found

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap