Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:28 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Weakenx            
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9683 [84]
Given Kudos: 38
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 745 [22]
Given Kudos: 108
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41 (Online)
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30795 [7]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
General Discussion
McCombs School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 354 [2]
Given Kudos: 151
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
Re: Political Strategist: The domestic policies of our opponents in Party [#permalink]
Kudos
Political Strategist: The domestic policies of our opponents in Party X are contrary to the priorities of many middle-class voters. Yet some of these same voters are supporters of Party X and its candidates due to the party's appeals about foreign policy. In order to win these voters back, we in Party Y must prove to middle-class voters that Party X does not represent their priorities with respect to domestic policy.

Which of the following would, if true, most strongly suggest that the political strategist's plan is unlikely to succeed?

A. Many in the middle class who support Party X for its foreign policies also support its domestic policies and are fully aware of the implications of those policies. -- CORRECT, this gives reasoning that trying to educate the middle-class voters about Party X's domestic policies won't help, because the voters already know about those policies and still stick with Party X. Thus, weakening the strategist's plan.

B. Most middle-class supporters of Party X care about foreign policy and know very little about its domestic policies. -- If this were true, it could strengthen the strategist's plan in which the strategist can sway voters by educating about party-X's domestic policies.

C. Long-term domestic policy sometimes conflicts with short-term domestic policy. -- IRRELEVANT, no mention of long-term or short-term policies in the passage

D. There are topics on which Party X and Party Y have significant agreement. -- the common topics between both parties are not at loggerheads here.

E. Some middle-class voters are concerned about both domestic and foreign policy. -- If it were true, these voters could be lured to either sides. At worst irrelevant, at best strengthens. "Some voters" also doesn't quantify how many voters(could be just 1 voter)

So, Answer is A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [4]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Re: Political Strategist: The domestic policies of our opponents in Party [#permalink]
Kudos
While your responses make sense, I just want to ask one question. Is it appropriate for this question to mention 'many'? I have to admit that it was a trap for me - I went for E, even though the context of the answer is slightly distorted and unfit.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
azamatboden wrote:
While your responses make sense, I just want to ask one question. Is it appropriate for this question to mention 'many'? I have to admit that it was a trap for me - I went for E, even though the context of the answer is slightly distorted and unfit.

Kindly go through this link to clear the concepts pertaining to Some, All, Not all etc...

https://e-gmat.com/blogs/negationtest/

And then apply it directly in the question it will immenesely help you.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2164 [1]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Political Strategist: The domestic policies of our opponents in Party [#permalink]
Kudos
The argument is that in order to win back the middle-class voters who voted for Party X for Party X's stance on Foreign policy Party Y must prove to these voters that Party X does not represent the middle-class voters' priorities.

The argument assumes that the voters in question aren't informed that Party X's domestic policies contradic their domestic policy priorities.

The question asks us to weaken the argument...

A is Correct because it tells us that MANY of the middle-class voters who voted for Party X are already aware of the implications, thus the plan (to inform these voters of the implications) will have no effect since voters are already aware. A exposes an assumption that is made in the argument.
B is incorrect as it strengthens the argument - if voters don't know about Party X's domestic policies, then informing these voters of Party X's domestic policies may have the intended effect that Party Y hopes for (i.e. succeed).
C is incorrect as it has no effect on whether the plan will succeed.
D is incorrect because the only topic at hand is the difference of opinion on domestic policy and the point of difference on other policies is irrelevant to the arugment that the plan will succeeed
E is incorrect because the argument is concerned only with the majority of the middle-class who are typically concerned about domestic policy. E has no effect on the argument as it does not effect the likelihood of the plan to succeed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 118
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V31
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Hi egmat

I eliminated Answer choice A because of the word "Many", which can go from two to several people, and i think that the plan should win a considerable number of voters that support Party X to be considered successful. If I rewrite answer choice A as: "Three people in the middle class who support Party X for its foreign policies also support its domestic policies and are fully aware of the implications of those policies" then it does not undermines the political strategist's plan.

I chose answer C because i though that if long term and short term contradict each other, one of those should be along the lines of voters intentions. Voter's priorities would be satisfied either by long term or short term policy.

Kindly correct what's wrong in my analysis.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30795 [6]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Marcost wrote:
Hi egmat

I eliminated Answer choice A because of the word "Many", which can go from two to several people, and i think that the plan should win a considerable number of voters that support Party X to be considered successful. If I rewrite answer choice A as: "Three people in the middle class who support Party X for its foreign policies also support its domestic policies and are fully aware of the implications of those policies" then it does not undermines the political strategist's plan.

I chose answer C because i though that if long term and short term contradict each other, one of those should be along the lines of voters intentions. Voter's priorities would be satisfied either by long term or short term policy.

Kindly correct what's wrong in my analysis.

Hey Marcost,

I understand where you are coming from Let me try to help!

If this was an assumption question, then the answer choice has to be MUST BE TRUE (MBT). Then, it would not be enough that "many" of these middle class people who support party X due to its foreign policies are aware of the domestic policies, its implications and are still OK with it. Even in such a case, it could be true that there are more than enough people who will stop supporting party X once educated. The plan could still succeed.

But this is not an assumption question. For these kind of questions, the correct answer only needs to increase or decrease our belief in the conclusion.

Here the conclusion is that the plan will probably not succeed. Even if many of the middle class people who support party X due to its foreign policies are aware of the domestic policies, its implications and are still OK with it, it is enough to increase our belief that the plan may not succeed. If a great chunk of these people are already aware of the domestic policy implications and are perfectly fine with it, it increases our belief in the notion that the plan may not really succeed.

Which is why option A works. Hope this is clear. Remember - in essence, what we are looking for is a strengthener rather than an assumption. An assumption has to be true, a strengthener merely needs to increase your belief.

Option C, I am afraid is completely irrelevant here. How does the fact that there is a conflict between short term and long term domestic policy tell us anything about whether the plan will succeed or not? The argument does not make any differentiation between short term and long term policy. We do not know what the conflict is, we do not know if any of them are along the lines of voter's intentions (as you say!).

Bottom line: we know nothing from the argument, about short term vs long term domestic policy

1. Sometimes they conflict, but what about this time?
2. Even if there is a conflict, what does this mean for the concerned party (middle class folks who vote for X). For all we know, this conflict may have no implications for this group of people (unrelated conflict)
3. This plan - is it to bring back the votes from the concerned party (middle class folks who vote for X) in the short term or long term?

In the absence of such relevant data, option C is not relevant to the argument :).

Hope this helps!

Regards
Harsha
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
Send PM
Political Strategist: The domestic policies of our opponents in Party [#permalink]
Kudos
I am concerned as to how the option A is correct.

In the stem, we have :

In order to win these voters back, we in Party Y must prove to middle-class voters that Party X does not represent their priorities with respect to domestic policy.

Here "these voters" represents those voters whose priorities are in contrast with the policies of the party X and its candidates.

The option A :

A. Many in the middle class who support Party X for its foreign policies also support its domestic policies and are fully aware of the implications of those policies.

In the option A, we are talking about the middle class in general, who supports domestic policies of party X.

Given the premise and conclusion is oriented towards specific section of the middle class, whose priorities are in conflict with the policies of X, why the option A should be correct, in which middle class in general is talked about.

GMATNinja, could you please help in it ?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 434
Send PM
abhishekmayank wrote:
I am concerned as to how the option A is correct.

In the stem, we have :

In order to win these voters back, we in Party Y must prove to middle-class voters that Party X does not represent their priorities with respect to domestic policy.

Here "these voters" represents those voters whose priorities are in contrast with the policies of the party X and its candidates.

The option A :

A. Many in the middle class who support Party X for its foreign policies also support its domestic policies and are fully aware of the implications of those policies.

In the option A, we are talking about the middle class in general, who supports domestic policies of party X.

Given the premise and conclusion is oriented towards specific section of the middle class, whose priorities are in conflict with the policies of X, why the option A should be correct, in which middle class in general is talked about.

GMATNinja, could you please help in it ?

It's the same group of people.

In order to win these voters back = the middle class voters that support Party X due to the party's appeals about foreign policy

Choice A says: Many in the middle class who support Party X for its foreign policies also support its domestic policies and are fully aware of the implications of those policies.

We're not talking about the middle class in general here -- we're talking about members of the middle class who support Party X.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32913 [1]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
If one does not read option (B) here carefully the chances are high that he or she will select it as the answer.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2333 [4]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT Focus 1:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT Focus 2:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GRE 1: Q170 V168
Send PM
Kudos