Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:30 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Logical Flawx   Weakenx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2116 [161]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [45]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Queens MBA Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 379 [30]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2334 [3]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT Focus 1:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT Focus 2:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GRE 1: Q170 V168
Send PM
Re: Politician: Hybrid cars use significantly less fuel per kilometer [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Understanding the Passage

Hybrid cars use significantly less fuel per kilometer than nonhybrids. - HC (Hybrid cars) << NHC (Nonhybrid cars) – in terms of FUEL/KM

And fuel produces air pollution, which contributes to a number of environmental problems. - Fuel -> Air pollution -> Environmental problems
Relating this statement to the previous one, the indication is that hybrid cars lead to less pollution and less environmental damage than nonhybrid cars.

Motorists can save money by driving cars that are more fuel-efficient, - This statement presents an economic advantage of hybrid cars (which are more fuel-efficient, as given in the first statement).

and they will be encouraged to drive hybrid cars if we make them aware of that fact.- Motorists will be encouraged to use hybrid cars if they get to know that hybrid cars use significantly less fuel per kilometer than nonhybrids. (Please note that what “that fact” refers to is not very clear. “that fact” could refer to the fact that hybrid cars use significantly less fuel per kilometer than nonhybrids or that Motorists can save money by driving cars that are more fuel-efficient. I’ve gone with the former reference.)

Therefore, we can help reduce the total amount of pollution emitted by cars in this country by highlighting this advantage of hybrid cars.- “Therefore” indicates that a conclusion is being presented here. The author concludes that we can reduce pollution emitted by cars in this country by highlighting the above economic advantage of hybrid cars. Please note that “this advantage” refers to the economic advantage of hybrid cars.

The Gist

The author concludes that we can reduce pollution emitted by cars in this country by highlighting the fact that people can save money by driving hybrid cars.
How will highlighting this fact help reduce pollution emitted by cars?
Pollution will reduce since hybrid cars use less fuel per km and thus probably produce less pollution per km.

The Gaps

There are several gaps in the argument:

1. Even though hybrid cars use significantly less fuel per km, what if they produce significantly more pollution per unit of fuel used? In such a case, even with less fuel, they may end up producing the same amount of pollution.
2. What if people who would not have otherwise bought cars start buying cars after hearing the economic advantage of hybrid cars? That might lead to more pollution than currently.
3. What if people who buy hybrid cars drive more kilometers than who buy nonhybrid cars? In such a case, even with less fuel per km, hybrid cars may end up consuming more fuel because they are driven for more kilometers. (Option A is around this gap)
4. What if nobody buys hybrid cars even after hearing about this lower price per kilometer advantage? Probably, hybrid cars are much more expensive
than nonhybrid cars, and this increased expense overshadows the benefits of lower fuel costs.
There might be other gaps also. Can you spot any other gaps?

Let’s see whether the following statement is also a potential gap:

The production of hybrid cars produces much more pollution than the production of nonhybrid cars.

Do you think the above statement highlights a gap in the argument?

No. This statement is not a gap in the argument.

Why?

Because the conclusion talks about “the total amount of pollution emitted by cars”.

The conclusion is not impacted by the pollution emitted in the production of cars. Can you see that?

Option Evaluation

(A)People with more fuel-efficient cars typically drive more than do those with less fuel-efficient cars.
Correct.- This option is around the third gap that we identified. If people with more fuel-efficient cars drive more, then highlighting the economic advantage of hybrid cars or selling more hybrid cars may not bring down the pollution levels. Even with less pollution per km, if hybrid cars are driven more, they may lead to overall more pollution.
Is it guaranteed that hybrid cars will lead to more pollution?
No. And we’re not even looking for a guarantee. The correct option needs to just “indicate” a vulnerability in the argument.

(B)Not all air pollution originates from automobiles.
Incorrect. -This option has ZERO impact on the argument. The conclusion is about reducing “the total amount of pollution emitted by cars.” Let’s say we change the option to below:
Only a very small proportion of the air pollution originates from automobiles.
The above statement still has ZERO impact on the argument since we’re concerned with…you know…reducing “the total amount of pollution emitted by cars”. Now, whether this amount is a small proportion of the total air pollution or it is a big proportion has NO impact on the argument.

(C)Hybrid cars have already begun to gain popularity.
Incorrect.- This option has ZERO impact on the argument.
Whether hybrid cars have already begun to gain popularity or not has no impact on whether increasing their popularity will bring down the pollution or not.

(D)Fuel-efficient alternatives to hybrid cars will likely become available in the future.
Whether other alternatives will become available in the future or not has no impact on whether highlighting the advantage of these cars will bring down the pollution or not.

(E)The future cost of gasoline and other fuel cannot be predicted with absolute precision or certainty.
Our ability to predict the price of fuel has NO impact on the argument. Note that this option is not saying that the cost of gasoline might decline or increase; it’s just talking about our ability to predict the prices.
Let’s say the option were:
The future cost of gasoline and other fuel will be lower than their current cost.
This statement has a slightly negative impact on the argument since if the future costs are lower, then people may not have much incentive to buy hybrid cars just for their lower fuel per km advantage.
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: Politician: Hybrid cars use significantly less fuel per kilometer [#permalink]
Kudos
vishwaprakash wrote:
Politician: Hybrid cars use significantly less fuel per kilometer than nonhybrids. And fuel produces air pollution, which contributes to a number of environmental problems. Motorists can save money by driving cars that are more fuel efficient, and they will be encouraged to drive hybrid cars if we make them aware of that fact. Therefore, we can help reduce the total amount of pollution emitted by cars in this country by highlighting this advantage of hybrid cars.

Argument Analysis :

Plan - Promote Hybrid to reduce pollution.

Facts -
1. Hybrid cars use significantly less fuel per kilometer than nonhybrids

Premise (Based on) -
1. Motorists can save money by driving cars that are more fuel efficient, and they will be encouraged to drive hybrid cars if motorist are aware of hybrid cars.

Pre-thinking :
For plan to succeed, Argument has assumed
1. Motorist will buy Hybrid once they are aware of technology and financial impact that they will get with the use of hybrid cars.
2. (If motorist buy hybrid), Motorist will not invest the saved money in non- Fuel efficient activity such as "Driving more", etc.

If any of the above assumption, fails then argument will fail.

Which of the following, if true, would most indicate a vulnerability of the politician's argument?

(A) People with more fuel-efficient cars typically drive more than do those with less fuel-efficient cars.
Say Person X has normal car and he spend 100$ for fuel for driving 100 miles,
Now due to fuel efficient hybrid, X spend 75$ for 125 miles, clearly X has used the money saved on activity that increases pollution ultimately.
So this option says, why plan may not be successful
Correct.

(B) Not all air pollution originates from automobiles.
Out of scope - there might be 100s of reason, we are intrested with pollution due to automobiles.

(C) Hybrid cars have already begun to gain popularity.
Nice fact - but does not impact - (In fact it says that plan will succeed) - Incorrect (Opposite effect)

(D) Fuel-efficient alternatives to hybrid cars will likely become available in the future.
Nice prediction, but out of scope does not impact argument - Incorrect

(E) The future cost of gasoline and other fuel cannot be predicted with absolute precision or certainty.
So what - if the prices are not predictable - Out of scope - Incorrect.

Hi, I got confused here, pls kindly help me out.
First I can totally understand the logic about why driving more could lead to higher air pollution in choice A.
But I think you kind of neglect two points:
1/ The argument actually talks about below causal relationship
letting motorists know the advantage of hybrid cars and encouraging them to buy hybrid cars--->reduced air pollution
so there is a comparisonis between the amount of air pollution created by driving a motor and that created by driving a hybrid car, rather than a comparison between the amount of air pollution created by driving a hybrid car and that created by driving a nonhybrid car (indicated in choice A).
After all, the argument doesn't indicate that the motorists will buy nonhybrid cars, right?
2/ Choice A seems to talk about what already happened. That means we are not sure what will happen if motorists drive hybrid cars. We cannot conclude that motorists with hybrid cars will drive more than motorists with nonhybrid cars, can we? If we get to that conclusion, we are assuming that this phenomenon described in Choice A will happen on motorist. But this assumption is not suggested in Choice A, right?
Please correct me if I am thinking wrong. I am always getting confused by thinking like that. Thanks in advance!!
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31969 [2]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
HI phemiaYu
Quote:
1/ The argument actually talks about below causal relationship
letting motorists know the advantage of hybrid cars and encouraging them to buy hybrid cars--->reduced air pollution
so there is a comparisonis between the amount of air pollution created by driving a motor and that created by driving a hybrid car, rather than a comparison between the amount of air pollution created by driving a hybrid car and that created by driving a nonhybrid car (indicated in choice A).
After all, the argument doesn't indicate that the motorists will buy nonhybrid cars, right?

The arguement is that if we encourage the car buyers too use hybrid cars rather than nonhybrid, we will bring the pollution down. The catch is reducing POLLUTION by using hybrid cars.
Choice A correctly conveys that even if more hybrid cars were bought, it will not result in reduced pollution as these car tends to be used more. MEANS if you were paying more for fuel, the driver may cut down on unplanned/ extra visits. But the saving of money gives him incentive to travel to unplanned visits. So, finally we have same pollution levels(It can be slightly low, high or same depending on the extra he travels)

Quote:
2/ Choice A seems to talk about what already happened. That means we are not sure what will happen if motorists drive hybrid cars. We cannot conclude that motorists with hybrid cars will drive more than motorists with nonhybrid cars, can we? If we get to that conclusion, we are assuming that this phenomenon described in Choice A will happen on motorist. But this assumption is not suggested in Choice A, right?
Please correct me if I am thinking wrong. I am always getting confused by thinking like that. Thanks in advance!![/color]

The choice talks of a general trend and not something that has happened..

Hope it helps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
I eliminated A because I felt A supports the politician. It is better for the environment if people who drive more to drive with fuel efficient cars. Hence, A is not a flaw. What am I missing?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [3]
Given Kudos: 111
GMAT 1: 530 Q42 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q42 V31
GMAT 3: 700 Q47 V38
Send PM
Kudos
Nice fact - but does not impact - (In fact it says that plan will succeed) - Incorrect (Opposite effect)

I am confused about answer C.

Since Hybrid cars are already becoming popular, wouldn't this make politicians efforts less effective. Drivers are already becoming aware of the hybrid cars.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
I chose E, reason is if one day the fuel price drops dramatically to level of the less-polluted hybrid energy like Hydrogen, then the drivers have no incentive to buy the hybrid cars (because the petrol-engine car are more powerful), therefore, will not help on the pollution decrease.

What is wrong with my thinking? Thanks
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Schools:
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
kablayi wrote:

Since Hybrid cars are already becoming popular, wouldn't this make politicians efforts less effective. Drivers are already becoming aware of the hybrid cars.

Some drivers have become aware does not imply that for the other drivers the awareness efforts would not be effective. In fact some drivers are aware implies that the other drivers are not and hence the politician's point would be valid for these other drivers. Option C could as well be a strengthening statement, not a weakening.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Schools:
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Olivia2Chicargo wrote:
I chose E, reason is if one day the fuel price drops dramatically to level of the less-polluted hybrid energy like Hydrogen, then the drivers have no incentive to buy the hybrid cars (because the petrol-engine car are more powerful), therefore, will not help on the pollution decrease.

What is wrong with my thinking? Thanks

Option E states that the fuel price is unpredictable. However it is not stated that the price will come down. With similar argument as you have given, one may as well argue that the price will go up, and this option would then be a strengthening statement.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 111
GMAT 1: 530 Q42 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q42 V31
GMAT 3: 700 Q47 V38
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
kablayi wrote:

Some drivers have become aware does not imply that for the other drivers the awareness efforts would not be effective. In fact some drivers are aware implies that the other drivers are not and hence the politician's point would be valid for these other drivers. Option C could as well be a strengthening statement, not a weakening.

Thank you for your explanation but answer choice C doesn't say some drivers.

Posted from my mobile device
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
kablayi wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
kablayi wrote:

Thank you for your explanation but answer choice C doesn't say some drivers.

Posted from my mobile device

Option C, Hybrid cars have already begun to gain popularity, directly implies that some of the drivers are aware.

Consider the following sentence:
The MBA degree has started to gain recognition among recruiters.
This sentence implies that some of the recruiters recognize the MBA degree; at the same time it also implies that there are other recruiters who do not recognize the MBA degree.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V35
Send PM
Kudos
I was confused between A and C, and chose C.
Conclusion : Highlight the advantage of hybrid cars to reduce pollution emitted by cars.
Option C: It's already popular so highlighting the advantage is fruitless. Since it negates the conclusion I choose this.
Please help understand why C is wrong.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [9]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos