Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:04 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2333 [2]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
Re: SCHULICH YORK (Canada) suspicious practice !!! [#permalink]
Kudos
I am not sure if I'd go as far as call it a "SCAM." In all programs, Indian applicant pool is probably the most competitive. Thus the bar is raised much higher for Indian applicants. They cannot strictly evaluate candidates on merit alone as they need to maintain diversity in nationalities of the student body.

I for one, got accepted within 3 weeks of submitting my application and I am a Korean. And my profile isn't exactly a rock star.

I don't see anything wrong with encouraging rejected applicants with good profiles, especially Indians, to apply to their MBA program in India. I understand the frustration from an applicant's point of view, but to call it a "SCAM" seems to be a bit of stretch. Schulich probably has the largest number of internationals among Canadian programs given their humongous class size.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2333 [0]
Send PM
Morgan15 wrote:
Are you serious?

Posted from my mobile device

I cannot figure the tone of your comment. SO now there are two scenarios in answering your question:-

SCENARIO 1) If you are asking in earnestness, then I am serious. Yes !! SCHULICH YORK is manipulating its class-demographic based on region.
I have mail Conversations and telephones calls from about 12 students who have confirmed that SCHULICH is thrusting the India campus down their throat.

SCENARIO 2) If your tone is sarcastic, then I cannot help you in believing me or the true facts. You can check my credentials over here :). I am not a troll.
Wait for a few days while people start to pour their experience about SCHULICH YORK in this post.

Originally posted by LogicGuru1 on 18 Mar 2017, 10:47.
Last edited by LogicGuru1 on 18 Mar 2017, 11:31, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Good to see you too !!
I am very happy to see some of the top schools in your profile.
Finally the hard work has paid of :) huh buddy :D
Final decision where as to which one you decided to join ?

abhimahna wrote:
Good to see your post after so many months, LogicGuru1

Thanks for sharing this information. It may help many people from this SCAM.

Originally posted by LogicGuru1 on 18 Mar 2017, 10:48.
Last edited by LogicGuru1 on 18 Mar 2017, 11:32, edited 2 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Rookie84 wrote:
I am a Korean. And my profile isn't exactly a rock star.

Well, Good to see that you accept your profile is not a rockstar profile.
The problem is -my profile is near close to a rockstar profile (as you put it)
I applied in 6 schools and was accepted in 4 schools within one months of applying and another school (the fifth one) is yet to decide on my application.
SCHULICH YORK was the only school that rejected me for a flimsy reason that I should go to their India Campus.

Rookie84 wrote:
I don't see anything wrong with encouraging rejected applicants with good profiles, especially Indians, to apply to their MBA program in India.

Ohh trust me, my Korean friend, everything is wrong. (A) There are tons of better schools in India compared to mediocre SCHULICH Hyderabad extension. (B) If one wanted to stay in India, then one would not apply to a Canadian school in the first place. (C) Why waste a large amount of money in a sub-standard product when one can get a much superior education at a lower or similar price.

Rookie84 wrote:
The bar is raised much higher for Indian applicants. They cannot strictly evaluate candidates on merit alone as they need to maintain diversity in nationalities of the student body.

Well, SCHULICH has no problem in giving admissions to second generation Asians. They are not concerned about skewing their "diversity" as long as the student is Canadian born and Asian. They only have a problem when they student is from India, Nepal or Srilanka.

Also my post was directed specifically to Indian, Srilankan and Nepali students. I am not concerned (at least in this post) about Korean, or Chinese or Singaporean Students. The reason I wrote that post was to interact with Indian students to let them know that SCHULICH is and will try to forcibly push its India Campus down their throats. It was a warning for Students to be aware that this is a practise that SCHULICH is engaging in since they inaugurated their India Campus.

Rookie84 wrote:
I understand the frustration from an applicant's point of view, but to call it a "SCAM" seems to be a bit of stretch.

I am not frustrated :) In fact I am ecstatic and excited to go a school of my choice. I think using the word "frustrated" was a poor choice of word but I will let it pass since English is not your primary language. And yes what SCHULICH is doing is a SCAM. You are paying for a sneakers from "NIKE" and they are giving you a sneaker from "NICE".
That is the very essential definition of a scam.

Originally posted by LogicGuru1 on 18 Mar 2017, 10:57.
Last edited by LogicGuru1 on 18 Mar 2017, 13:31, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Hey there.

Quote:
I think using the word "frustrated" was a poor choice of word but I will let it pass since English is not your primary language.

What kind of crap is this? Are we going to talk about English fluency now? Why don't you first look at the post you typed which is full of grammatical errors, then? If you don't like the choice of my word, then just say it. Don't take things personally and throw a cheap shot at me. I thought someone with a "rock star profile" entering an MBA program would be much more mature than this. And how do you know that English is not my primary language?

Quote:
The problem is my profile is almost near close to a rockstar profile (as you put it)
I applied in 6 schools and was accepted in 4 schools with in one months of applying and another school (the fifth one) is yet to decide on my application.
SCHULICH YORK was the only school that rejected me for a flimsy reason that I should go to their India Campus.

I don't even want to begin to correct all the grammatical errors in this paragraph, Mr. EnglishIsMyPrimaryLanguage.

Would you care to share the rock star profile? Which schools did you apply to?

Quote:
p.s:- Also my post was directed specifically to Indian, Srilankan and Nepali students. I am not concerned (at least in this post) about Korean, or Chinese or Singaporean Students. The reason I wrote that post was to interact with Indian students to let them know that SCHULICH is and will try to forcibly push its India Campus down their throats. It was a warning for Students to be aware that this is a practise that SCHULICH is engaging in since they inaugurated their India Campus.

I did not know that Asia consisted of three countries. Refer to what you said in the first post, which I quoted below.

Quote:
They did the same to me and also to more than a dozen students from Asian countries.

You said ASIAN COUNTRIES. That includes Koreans, Chinese, Japanese, Singaporeans, Taiwanese, etc. Try to be more specific next time instead of referring to a whole continent.

Going back to Schulich "forcibly push its India Campus down their throats," (again, the grammatical errors are horrendous in this sentence but I will let it go for now) nobody is forcing anything. Schulich cannot force you to pay the tuition and attend its campus in India. Is Schulich pointing a gun at you?

Again, I do not think that it is unreasonable to assume that you are "frustrated" from your posts. I do not have any affiliation with Schulich to defend its admissions practices (well, I chose McGill over Schulich for one...), but the claims you are making seem to be a far stretch.

LogicGuru1 wrote:
The problem is my profile is almost near close to a rockstar profile (as you put it)
I applied in 6 schools and was accepted in 4 schools with in one months of applying and another school (the fifth one) is yet to decide on my application.

p.s:- Also my post was directed specifically to Indian, Srilankan and Nepali students. I am not concerned (at least in this post) about Korean, or Chinese or Singaporean Students. The reason I wrote that post was to interact with Indian students to let them know that SCHULICH is and will try to forcibly push its India Campus down their throats. It was a warning for Students to be aware that this is a practise that SCHULICH is engaging in since they inaugurated their India Campus.

p.p.s- I am not frustrated :) In fact I am ecstatic and excited to go a school of my choice. I think using the word "frustrated" was a poor choice of word but I will let it pass since English is not your primary language.

Rookie84 wrote:
I am not sure if I'd go as far as call it a "SCAM." In all programs, Indian applicant pool is probably the most competitive. Thus the bar is raised much higher for Indian applicants. They cannot strictly evaluate candidates on merit alone as they need to maintain diversity in nationalities of the student body.

I for one, got accepted within 3 weeks of submitting my application and I am a Korean. And my profile isn't exactly a rock star.

I don't see anything wrong with encouraging rejected applicants with good profiles, especially Indians, to apply to their MBA program in India. I understand the frustration from an applicant's point of view, but to call it a "SCAM" seems to be a bit of stretch. Schulich probably has the largest number of internationals among Canadian programs given their humongous class size.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
I see that you made some edits while I was typing my reply.

Quote:
I am not frustrated :) In fact I am ecstatic and excited to go a school of my choice. I think using the word "frustrated" was a poor choice of word but I will let it pass since English is not your primary language. And yes what SCHULICH is doing is a SCAM. You are paying for a sneakers from "NIKE" and they are giving you a sneaker from "NICE".
That is the very essential definition of a scam.

Your logic is flawed here. When you buy a pair of sneakers, you pay for the item. If the store gives you something other than what you paid for, then yes, it is a scam.

You are not paying for an admission when submitting your application to an MBA program. You are paying for the admissions committee to review your application, which they did. Therefore, you got exactly what you paid for. There is absolutely nothing wrong. Just because they rejected you and recommended that you attend their campus in India, you cannot claim that it is a "SCAM" because it is not. They have every right to reject your application even if you think you have a rock star profile. They also have every right to recommend you to their MBA program in India. You have the choice on whether to take their recommendation. You are not forced in any way whatsoever to attend Schulich's campus in India. While I understand the disappointment and frustration from being rejected to the main campus, I really do not see much wrong with what Schulich is doing.

Originally posted by Rookie84 on 18 Mar 2017, 12:11.
Last edited by Rookie84 on 19 Mar 2017, 00:50, edited 2 times in total.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72864 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Good to see you back LogicGuru! Been a while.
Thank you for bringing up an interesting topic. It is very helpful to point out to those applying. There are several schools that have multiple campuses and they will shuffle people around or rather they have a Campus "A" and Campus "B" - that's true of Insead, ISB i think and a few others. They are simply thinking like smart business people and managing space - demand for top MBA programs has been through the roof and they want to capitalize on this trend (perhaps a short term gain but long term lose but we will see). I don't think there is anything negative or dishonest in encouraging students to apply for the second less prestigious campus/program.

As to encouraging students to apply and answering their emails - all schools will do that and all AdComs will be vague with answers to your questions and ALL will encourage you to apply. They want as many applicants as possible. What kind of business man would refuse a customer into a store, even if a poor one who lacks money. You never know if they come back next year and buy something. It is also wise to encourage everyone to apply since you never know how good/bad a candidate is until you see their whole story and application.

I personally don't think it is a terrible thing, rather this should be something people need to be aware of - schools with 2 campuses.

What am I missing?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
bb wrote:
Good to see you back LogicGuru! Been a while.
Thank you for bringing up an interesting topic. It is very helpful to point out to those applying. There are several schools that have multiple campuses and they will shuffle people around or rather they have a Campus "A" and Campus "B" - that's true of Insead, ISB i think and a few others. They are simply thinking like smart business people and managing space - demand for top MBA programs has been through the roof and they want to capitalize on this trend (perhaps a short term gain but long term lose but we will see). I don't think there is anything negative or dishonest in encouraging students to apply for the second less prestigious campus/program.

As to encouraging students to apply and answering their emails - all schools will do that and all AdComs will be vague with answers to your questions and ALL will encourage you to apply. They want as many applicants as possible. What kind of business man would refuse a customer into a store, even if a poor one who lacks money. You never know if they come back next year and buy something. It is also wise to encourage everyone to apply since you never know how good/bad a candidate is until you see their whole story and application.

I personally don't think it is a terrible thing, rather this should be something people need to be aware of - schools with 2 campuses.

What am I missing?

Hey bb,
Good to see you too.

What you have written in your post makes perfect sense. Well, I guess I also have no problems with schools having 2 campuses.
IIM India have 6 + counting. UBC have HAAS and Anderson. INSEAD as you mentioned.

The thing that bothered me with SCHULICH was the consistent effort on their part to convince students to join the India Campus.
I got two mails from a guy named Kirthi and another guy named Satyajit and they tried a very hard sales pitch.
Now Schulich doesn't need to do that. It's a top school in Canada. Moreover I have categorically stated in my letter on intent and my essay that I was looking for more international exposure. As you can see in my OP screenshot that some of the guys who have applied for Canada campus were offered seats to Indian Campus.

During the application process students are under a lot of uncertainty and stress and might make a hasty judgement based on the approaching deadlines and the mildly flattering mail that SCHULICH sends ('We would like you to explore our Indian Campus because your profile is a good fit for our program and such').
It is well known that most student applies to a bunch of colleges and the negatory response from even one of these school might affect the mental state of the applicant. Now we all know that most Schools need a confirmatory fees or an initial fee with the fully filled admission form. If some student mistakenly assumes that he has made the cut for the Schulich program but is offered a seat in India instead of canada because of logistic constraint and that nothing better would (or would not) come his/her way, he/he would be more inclined to join the Indian Campus and risk losing a substantial amount of money in case he/she is selected in another program just a few days later.

The aim of my original post was to let students know that this is being done by SCHULICH. Of course we are all adults to make our own decisions as to accept or reject an admission offer.

But it is also true that I have interacted with many Indian (+ near by nationalities) and some of them have (even those who want to join foreign schools) have taken admission to the India Campus. Some of them categorically denied the offer and were later admitted to Rotman, Monash (Australia), Mannheim (Germany) and other schools.
I guess I wanted people to know that fact and also somewhere I wanted other students to share similar experience to have a meaningful conversation about the same.
I think it escalated into something that was not my intention. All I wanted was to share and hear similar stories.

I totally agree that SCHULICH should inform applicants using a disclaimer that some students might be offered seats in Indian Campus. They should have an option in the online application itself.:- I am willing to join the India Campus YES, NO , MAY BE

But yes I think the post is more of a non issue in case a student is adamant enough to join school other than his native country.
Ironically enough the post is again a non issue in case a applicant is desperate enough to get a degree from any SCHULICH campus.

p.s.:- It is good to be back here again after a 6 months break
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1263 [1]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
SCHULICH YORK (Canada) suspicious practice !!! [#permalink]
Kudos
I was given the same option for the Fall of 2016, however, I denied it and my Schulich application was deferred to the Winter 2017 intake. I finally didn't attend as I had other options available.

An additional point that I would like to make - I was introduced to this option and in fact, marketed around well too. However, I wasn't forced to pick one. I used my judgement and said "No".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
LogicGuru1 wrote:
Morgan15 wrote:
Are you serious?

I cannot figure the tone of your comment. SO now there are two scenarios in answering your question:-

SCENARIO 1) If you are asking in earnestness, then I am serious. Yes !! SCHULICH YORK is manipulating its class-demographic based on region.
I have mail Conversations and telephones calls from about 12 students who have confirmed that SCHULICH is thrusting the India campus down their throat.

SCENARIO 2) If your tone is sarcastic, then I cannot help you in believing me or the true facts. You can check my credentials over here :). I am not a troll.
Wait for a few days while people start to pour their experience about SCHULICH YORK in this post.

I'm not saying you're a troll. But coming to a conclusion like this with anecdotal evidence seems hardly a good way to go about it. You mentioned you have a near rockstar profile. Perhaps they were trying to protect their yield? There are lots of other explanations. My first instinct wouldn't be imply there's a grand racial conspiracy going on.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V40
GRE 1: Q161 V164
GPA: 3.7
WE:General Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Hi OP,
you have said all these things because you are (probably) hurting. About admitting 2nd generation Asians, let me state clearly that Africans also encounter these challenges with US schools. There are Americans who are 2nd-4th generation africans who only remember that they are african, so that they can take advantage of diversity quota with Bschools. These people use their African citizenship, e.g. Nigerian, hold first degrees and superb work experience in the US, and are thus, seen as stronger candidates than the rest of us. So, you have a superb profile based on stats, but the Indian-Canadian is able to demonstrate FIT (i.e. understanding of the Canadian Business environment, open-mindedness, passion to add value to Canada, etc).

Secondly, on the issue of Hyderabad campus. The school has probably filled-up its Toronto campus already and has space elsewhere. The school (in the absence of a campus) would have DINGED you out-rightly but, it has considered that your profile is strong enough to compete in India. More importantly, what you want is to have access to the Canadian immigration advantage, which you also get even at Hyderabad campus. So, what is your beef with Schulich?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts