Last visit was: 18 Jul 2024, 09:24 It is currently 18 Jul 2024, 09:24
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [26]
Given Kudos: 445
Schools: IIM (II)
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7805 [3]
Given Kudos: 220
Send PM
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 392 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
GRE 1: Q166 V159

GRE 2: Q165 V156

GRE 3: Q166 V159
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 452
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V37 (Online)
GMAT 3: 690 Q47 V37 (Online)
GPA: 2.95
Send PM
Re: Professional baseball analysts have concluded that no major league pla [#permalink]
Hi,

The argument tries to confuse us by relating two different statistics.

First, it says that only 40% of the players hits (hitting the ball by the bat) reach base.
Second, it says that % of hits are declining. (i.e. the number of times the player makes contact between the bat and the ball is declining)

Lets boil down to simple math.

Consider that 200 bowls were bowled. ( i am not aware of the terminologies of baseball, so referring to cricket🏏)

Bowls bowled : 200
Bowls hit: 100 (i.e. no of times the player made contact between the bat and the ball)
Bowls hit to base: 40 (40%) (i.e. out of 100 times that the player made contact between bat and the ball, 40 times he hit the
ball to base) (a 4 (boundary) in terms of cricket)

Now the argument goes to say that there is a sharp rise in the number of home runs (i.e. the number of times the ball was hit over the fence (sixer in terms of cricket)

Further the argument also says the number of times the player actually made contact is declining. In our case, initially player was making 50% contact (100 out of 200). Now this percentage is declining. (i.e. 80 times out of 200, 40% only).

But the argument doesn't say that the number of times the player hits the ball to the base is also declining. maybe the player still hits 40% of the times he makes contact to base.

Clearly, option B says this. Option B says that an increase in home runs, that is player hitting the ball over the fence also counts towards the player hitting the ball to base.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Professional baseball analysts have concluded that no major league pla [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6984 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts
CR Forum Moderator
824 posts