GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Apr 2019, 15:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2019, 21:17
I want to know the chances of me getting accepted to B school programs in India.

Nationality - Indian
Age -26
GMAT Score - 680 (Q49,V33,IR8)
Education - 4 year Bachelors in Mechanical engineering (8.24/10) from NIT Nagpur (one of top tier institutes, after IITs in India)
Work Experience:
Assistant Engineering Manager at L&T Construction (one of Fortune 500 companies), in Design department (July 2014-Now)
Responsibilities:
Apart from technical work (mechanical design), I coordinate with multiple vendors and client simultaneously to ensure completion of project within schedule. I work in core business of design and construction (especially, bulk material handling plants in power plants and mines). I design basic components and provide optimized solutions. I coordinate with site and Business Unit teams till execution of project.
I want to do MBA at this juncture of my career so that I can take step towards Business execution and Strategic planning roles from my current design role. I am currently looking for 1 year program in schools in India.
Is my profile good enough for a chance in any program? If yes, then is my GMAT score sufficient or should I retake it?

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Re: Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2019, 23:21
A few thoughts on your profile pradeep15793:
  1. The nature of your work looks good in that you don't seem to have restricted yourself - design can otherwise be pretty myopic as a department. Make sure you bring out the cross-functional aspect of your efforts well in the applications.
  2. It will be important to develop more sharpness and clarity in your post-MBA plans. Strategy planning in what kind of companies/sectors for instance?
  3. These are the better options for one year MBA programs in India.
  4. There isn't really a magic minimum GMAT number really. That being said, think about your competition from NITs/IITs - they are amongst the highest test scores out there. Given that perspective, the current score is likely to be a pretty big handicap and a retake would definitely be highly recommended.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2019, 00:19
MG4MBACrystalBall wrote:
A few thoughts on your profile pradeep15793:
  1. The nature of your work looks good in that you don't seem to have restricted yourself - design can otherwise be pretty myopic as a department. Make sure you bring out the cross-functional aspect of your efforts well in the applications.
  2. It will be important to develop more sharpness and clarity in your post-MBA plans. Strategy planning in what kind of companies/sectors for instance?
  3. These are the better options for one year MBA programs in India.
  4. There isn't really a magic minimum GMAT number really. That being said, think about your competition from NITs/IITs - they are amongst the highest test scores out there. Given that perspective, the current score is likely to be a pretty big handicap and a retake would definitely be highly recommended.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,

Thank you for your insights. Yeah, I am planning to retake the GMAT exam and target at least 720. As of now, I am not sure / specific about post MBA plans. I am still trying to figure it out. I just know that I want to shift my field from design

Admission Consultant
P

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2019, 06:43
pradeep15793 wrote:
I want to know the chances of me getting accepted to B school programs in India.

Nationality - Indian
Age -26
Education - 4 year Bachelors in Mechanical engineering (8.24/10) from NIT Nagpur (one of top tier institutes, after IITs in India)
Work Experience:
Assistant Engineering Manager at L&T Construction (one of Fortune 500 companies), in Design department (July 2014-Now)
Responsibilities:
Apart from technical work (mechanical design), I coordinate with multiple vendors and client simultaneously to ensure completion of project within schedule. I work in core business of design and construction (especially, bulk material handling plants in power plants and mines). I design basic components and provide optimized solutions. I coordinate with site and Business Unit teams till execution of project.
I want to do MBA at this juncture of my career so that I can take step towards Business execution and Strategic planning roles from my current design role. I am currently looking for 1 year program in schools in India.
Is my profile good enough for a chance in any program? If yes, then is my GMAT score sufficient or should I retake it?

Hi Pradeep,
There would be quite a few options for you within India- ISB, IIMA, IIMB, IIMC and the other lower ranked IIMS as well. Given that you may have a good number of applications to write, a GMAT retake would have definite benefits.

YOur profile looks pretty decent- when you get down to doing the applications, you'd need to ensure you bring forth your leadership experiences and achievements (i.e. shift the focus away from responsibilities to your impact)

Also, do you have any extra-curricular involvements? If no, then now is the time to get involved.

Ask us for a FREE DING/REJECT ANALYSIS
Personal MBA Coach Founder
P
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2019, 17:07
pradeep15793 wrote:

Nationality - Indian
Age -26
Work Experience:
Responsibilities:

Hi pradeep,

My recommendation would be to purchase a number of "advanced" GMAT verbal books and work your way through hundreds of questions. Did you happen to generate a detailed report when you took the GMAT? Find out which section of the verbal in particular is giving you issues. It shouldn't be that hard to bring up a 33V to something like 35-36V. Re-take the GMAT only after your practice tests are improved in this section and you feel a greater confidence going in!

As it stands could you gain acceptance to a 1-year program in India? With the right story and positioning I think you could. There are a number of ways around a low-ish GMAT score, but do keep in mind as others have said the competition in country is fierce and scores tend to be very high.

Regards,
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

VP
VP
G
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2019, 07:23
Hi pradeep15793,

Thanks for sharing your profile. I agree with the opinion shared. I would like to suggest you retake GMAT and work on improving your verbal part. Being an applicant from the IT pool, one should always target to add a minimum of 20 points to schools average score to stand an edge within the cohort. I hope you can do better in the verbal section after all your quant and IR are pretty decent already.
Academic arc looks perfect, considering your institution and GPA. L&T being a Fortune 500 company and your work experience out of the box there is no restriction bound which shows a clear picture of your enthusiasm and self-motivation towards work.
Having said all above, it's not just the number's magic. While adcom evaluate your profile they also look into extra curriculum part, which plays a major role in getting a positive response from the schools. When you descend to essay part, you need to make sure you bring out your achievements, responsibilities and extra curriculum if you had any or start immediately to work your EC's.
Considering your overall profile you're suitable to apply for a 1 year MBA program from INDIA.

m:+91 9164157770
w: https://www.genedmba.com/
e: info@genedmba.com
Experts' Global Representative
S

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2019, 03:26
pradeep15793 wrote:

Nationality - Indian
Age -26
Work Experience:
Responsibilities:

Hello pradeep15793,

Thanks for your query.

You could look at ISB and almost all the IIMs.

However, we do recommend that you retake the GMAT. A higher score (around 720) will help boost your chances.

All the best!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Evaluation   [#permalink] 16 Apr 2019, 03:26

Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap