GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2019, 19:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2019, 22:36
Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to review my profile.
I want to understand what would be the best strategy for my applications.

About Me :
I am a Female Engineer from India.
I have 4 years of Work Experience in Technology consulting.

My GMAT Experience :
GMAT - 710 (Q-49, V-37, IR-8, AWA-4.5)
I had given 2 official mocks before the exam scoring a 720 (Q-50, V-37) and  730 (Q-50, V-38).
On the real test, I screwed  up towards the end of the Quant section. I was very nervous during the verbal section.
I decided to retake the GMAT.
GMAT - 710 (Q-51, V-35, IR-8, Canceled my score)
I had again given 2 official mocks before the exam (OG-3 and 4, I didn't repeat the previous mocks).
I scored a 730 (Q-51, V-37) and a 750 (Q-50, V-42).
I didn't know what went wrong on the GMAT.
I got my ESR, and I screwed up on the CR, which in fact historically had been my strongest sub-section on the Verbal.
My target score has always been 740-750.

My profile is as below.
Undergrad
I graduated as a Bachelors of Engineering, from the Mumbai University (Average college) in 2015 with an aggregate of about 65 percentage. I got one of the best jobs on Campus. During my 4 years of college, I was a part of the core team of the college cultural committee (junior and senior), and the sports committee. I organized the First marathon for the college, various stage shows, managed various artists, dealt with budgetary crisis. In my two summer breaks, I interned with an E-commerce start up, and a TV Chanel organizing a country wide festival.
Apart, from this I was a teaching volunteer with a non-profit organization for 3 years. Teaching math, and basic communication skills to the under privileged  children living in shelter homes. As a part of this organization I took up some mentor roles, in which I mentored the new volunteers. Eventually, I also became a part of the Fund raising team that helped raise funds to help educate these children. I was awarded as the Best Volunteer for my work and support in this NGO. The NGO is widely recognized in the country, and was recognized by Michelle Obama during her visit to India in 2006.

Work Exp
I have 4 years of experience in Technology Consulting at a Big Four. I was placed in the organization from my under grad college. I was a technical developer for 3 years. I worked on various client engagements (US and Germany). I was highly appreciated for my work. I was one of the youngest people for whom an L-1B visa had been initiated by my firm. (L-1B is usually raised by my firm for people with 6-7 years of exp, I had 2.5 years of exp). This was done because of the constant pressure from the client who was based out of San Diego. Even, as a technical developer I was regarded for my understanding of the Business process, and hence I was given an opportunity to shift roles.
I now work as a Finance Technology consultant with the same firm. I work to understand the business landscapes and business processes of the client, and propose solutions.
In my 4 years, I have played various leadership roles.
I led one thread for the annual corporate social responsibility event. This thread impacted about a 200 children.
I led the finance thread for the corporate social responsibility event from the office level (5000 Employees, 20+ threads). Budget approvals, Compliance etc.
I have had a leadership role, led a team of people in organizing  various events within the office.
I have also been a host for a lot of events.

Target Schools
Stanford
Wharton
MIT Sloan
Chicago Booth
Kellogg
Hass
Ross
Columbia
Yale
UCLA
Tuck
Fuqua

Could you please advise what would be my best strategy?
I am not sure if I should apply with a 710.
If I should, then to which schools?
Should I give the GMAT again and apply with a better score in R2?
Again, Which schools ?
Should I do both?
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
G
Re: Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2019, 07:31
Hi there,
Thanks for your post and the level of detail you shared! So the b-schools will look at your profile holistically, and there is no set formula or weighting for any one piece of your application, but that said in terms of academics and GMAT score you are in the 'average' part of the pack for the very top tier of your school list, vs outstanding. And being an Indian engineer does put you in a competitive applicant group. It does sound like you have done a good job with extracurricular and community activities and like you said, you've done well professionally and should be in a position to have strong recommendations as well. Re: your GMAT, it's fairly common to take the exam 2-4 times and sometimes you do need an extra boost of a different type of prep materials, course, or private tutor to push yourself a bit higher, so do consider that. An experienced tutor can watch how YOU approach questions and give tailored advice for example. I am surprised you cancelled your second score since the 51Q is great, and there is NO downside to multiple attempts-- the schools take the highest score you submit. I don't know how 'set' you are on the school list you shared (and it is quite long... most applicants apply to 3-6 schools per round); keep in mind the top 5-10 US schools are extremely competitive for anyone, so if you include a couple of those, you should also include safer options if you want to maximize your chances (but only apply to places you would definitely go). In terms of timing for R1 this year, I would estimate you can only easily complete 2 apps in time (if you have not yet worked on essays/apps), maybe 3 if one or two are in Oct. The rest you'll likely need to do for R2, no matter what the GMAT plan. For GMAT you could still fit in one more attempt prior to R1 and that sounds like a good idea. If you'd like to discuss more feel free to sign up for a free 30 minute consultation at www.mbamission.com/consult. Good luck either way!
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2019, 14:39
Hi Jen,

Thank you for your feedback.
I will schedule a call on your website to better understand what my approach should be.
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2019, 19:29
Sure thing, you are most welcome, we look forward to connecting with you.

Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate