It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 18:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Review

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V32
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
Profile Review [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 09:28
Hi everyone,

I am from India and plan to apply for a 1-year MBA program this fall (Round II). It would be great to get your suggestions and feedback.

Academics:
- Mech. Engg. from Florida Institute of Technology. Graduated with a 3.84 GPA magna cum laude.
- GMAT score : Attempt #1: 640
Attempt #2: 730

Work Experience:
- Basic college work experience - taught at a local elementary etc. etc. - nothing too fancy.
- 5 year work experience in family business post college.

Breakdown:
Years 1-3: Involved in Solar Power business. We manufacture solar panels and do turnkey projects ranging from 1kW to 10MW. Started on the engineering team and went on to open a new projects division for projects in West India. Eventually moved into marketing and finally got involved in RM sourcing and production activities. The experience lead me to work with a broad range of customers such as rural farmers, Govt. sector and multinationals. It also gave me the opportunity to work with lots of foreign suppliers and I traveled extensively for material sourcing.

Years 3-current: Started branching out of solar as I found a new product that I saw as my own creation - something I could call my own. Its a manufacturing company found under our main company umbrella. We manufacture certain niche polymer products applicable to the medical, electronics and chemical packaging industries. Spent a year doing market research & perfecting manufacturing and then started commercial sales. Revenue is growing fast and things are looking good. Recently started exporting out of India. Lots of experience here spanning from research, setting production procedures, team formation, marketing strategy etc. Have multiple foreign and local suppliers.

Extra Curricular:
- Active guitarist
- Amateur photographer
- Part of an NGO for the past few years that deals with education for the underprivileged. Served as treasurer of the trust and now serving as secretary. Received a few awards for great work done while holding these positions. Also held a state-level position in the organisation promoting a green mission.
- Worked with an organisation serving autistic children. Still participate with them on and off.

Motivation:
- Having been part of a family business and also a new startup I have had good exposure to multiple disciplines, but in an informal manner. My main motivation is to get a more formal understanding of the business world and get exposed to topics well beyond the scope of what I work in today. I also look forward to make new connections in different parts of the world.

Schools I'm looking at:
INSEAD
Judge
Said
IE
HEC
ISB (MFAB, if end up giving the BAT)

Sorry for the long post. :)

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 246 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Review [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 18:21
Thanks for sharing your profile. Solid profile here with a strong GMAT and GPA which should have you in play at most of the schools on your list. Obviously, INSEAD will be the toughest to crack but with all of these schools finding ways to stand out will be the key for you. So don't be afraid to leverage some of the more interesting experience from your ECs to stand out

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 246 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Affiliations: 99colleges.com

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 4

Schools: Wharton

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 18:56
Having worked in a family business and a startup, you seem to have more handled multiple functions and responsibilities. Conceiving and launching new product too is a positive. Moreover, yours is less-represented industry. Convey your accomplishments/ lessons/ experiences/ career goals well in your application, and you have a reasonable chance at most of your target schools. However, be aware it’s relatively tougher to make drastic career change through a one-year program.

Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant

Consulting| Contact at anil@99colleges.com for your queries on MBA Admissions

And if you couldn’t make it earlier, get a free ding analysis

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern
B

GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V32
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 05:24
Thank you for taking the time to go through my post and making suggestions.

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 52

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 12:43
You have a great profile. Aspects that add the oomph are growing your business, diversifying and adding new markets. These will make you stand out at any of the b-schools mentioned in your list. I'd debate the MFAB v/s PGP - the class profile is very different for both the programs, so you should look more deeply into what kind of experiences you want from your MBA

FYI, Another reason to do an MBA is to gain the skills required to scale up and (maybe) go international.

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772

Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask for a FREE profile evaluation HERE

Featured among the top 25 Women CEOs in India, in the CEO Magazine

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 52

Re: Profile Review   [#permalink] 01 Oct 2017, 12:43

Profile Review

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap