GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 May 2019, 12:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile / School Selection / Fit

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Profile / School Selection / Fit  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 10:22
Hi Everyone,

Time and again this forum has come as a guiding light and as I prepare for my last and strongest attempt at MBA, I want to gather thoughts. Apart from being a 27 y.o. Indian male, here's a bit of my background:

GMAT
On my third attempt at GMAT yesterday, I was able to score 760 (50/41/8). My previous attempts were 700-710. Such an amazing score has definitely upset some of my calculations (in a good way), and now I am looking to go a little more ambitious on my school selection.

UG
My GPA is slightly lower than I would have liked. It's 3.4 on a 4 point scale for a 3yr UG business degree in India.

WE
Not the top, but I think I have been able to do some amazing stuff. I have 6 years right now (7 at the time of matriculation), 4 of these have been with a small consulting company and the recent 2 with a big-4. (Consulting = Risk Advisory here). Nothing international though.

Extra-Curricular
Similar to work, not amazing, but decent if I present them well (don't mean falsifying!)

Career Goals
I want to stay in consulting, but upgrade to M/B/B

Last year I applied with a 710 to 5 schools ranked 6-14 and tanked. My goals weren't well researched, I applied to most of these schools in R2 and my gut says I can have a better conversation with my recommenders this time around. I don't know if I want to trust a consultant with $6000 (which is huge considering the whole I burnt last year in the admission process). As for school selection, it's difficult determining the culture sitting so far away. But I would like a balance between collaboration / team-spirit (eg. Fuqua) and competitiveness (Columbia). These are not the best examples because I am not very keen on big cities like NYC.

So, help me plan this out! I am looking to have a shot at 2 schools in 1-5 and 2 in 6-10 in R1.

Thanks!
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge
Re: Profile / School Selection / Fit  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 11:37
gmat7m wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Time and again this forum has come as a guiding light and as I prepare for my last and strongest attempt at MBA, I want to gather thoughts. Apart from being a 27 y.o. Indian male, here's a bit of my background:

GMAT
On my third attempt at GMAT yesterday, I was able to score 760 (50/41/8). My previous attempts were 700-710. Such an amazing score has definitely upset some of my calculations (in a good way), and now I am looking to go a little more ambitious on my school selection.

UG
My GPA is slightly lower than I would have liked. It's 3.4 on a 4 point scale for a 3yr UG business degree in India.

WE
Not the top, but I think I have been able to do some amazing stuff. I have 6 years right now (7 at the time of matriculation), 4 of these have been with a small consulting company and the recent 2 with a big-4. (Consulting = Risk Advisory here). Nothing international though.

Extra-Curricular
Similar to work, not amazing, but decent if I present them well (don't mean falsifying!)

Career Goals

Last year I applied with a 710 to 5 schools ranked 6-14 and tanked. My goals weren't well researched, I applied to most of these schools in R2 and my gut says I can have a better conversation with my recommenders this time around. I don't know if I want to trust a consultant with $6000 (which is huge considering the whole I burnt last year in the admission process). As for school selection, it's difficult determining the culture sitting so far away. But I would like a balance between collaboration / team-spirit (eg. Fuqua) and competitiveness (Columbia). These are not the best examples because I am not very keen on big cities like NYC.

So, help me plan this out! I am looking to have a shot at 2 schools in 1-5 and 2 in 6-10 in R1.
[color=#662d91]So I think one of the reasons why you may not have fared as well last time is because you have this "where can I get in" mentality instead of thinking about what you really need and then finding which schools have the best program for you- so if you are looking to get hands on experience in consulting to prepare for MBB look at schools with strong experiential learning like Ross or UNC. If you go to places where the 760 will really pop in the applicant pool- you look a lot better for scholarships. If you want to also look at schools that have a lot of consultants-
look at Booth and Kellogg but consider those stretch and also put in some safety where you are likely to get in and get some funding like UNC or Georgetown or Olin. If you do want to look a consultants again- we have some good ones at Stratus that can add value- it is not just the GMAT- I think there may be something else that can be improved overall as well- and certainly I encourage you to do a lot of school research to narrow down the best places for you. Best wishes!For a free consult here is a link for that:https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com/admissions/business-school-admissions-consulting-gmat-club-visitor/
And here are some tips for reapplicants! https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... pplicants/ Best wishes to you!
[/color]
Thanks!

Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Profile / School Selection / Fit  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 01:57
gmat7m wrote:
Hi Everyone,

GMAT

UG

WE

Extra-Curricular

Career Goals

Thanks!

Hello there good sir!
First of all congrats on that totally awesome GMAT score!!!
It will help you IMMENSELY!

First thing: a little bit of reality check for you (and I hope this isn't too blunt) but as an Indian applicant a 760 and Big four job is not necessarily enough to ensure an admit in a top 10. I know it sounds crazy, but the GMAT score averages have been going through the roof (Stanford, 740!!! What?!?!?!?), and even moreso for Indian candidates. And we are seeing people not getting admits they are banking on. So I'd suggest you expand your list to a wider range of S16 or maybe even Top 20.

You don't have any BIG weaknesses in your profile, but:
- Your non IIT
- There are a LOT of applicants from Big 4
- Your GPA is not high
(I also don't know anything about your extra curriculars and volunteer work, so I haven't been abe to evaluate that)

And these three things can be enough to make top 10 applicants a toss-up for Indian candidates.

Some reading for you, first about Indian candidates applying (in regards to chances and GMAT scores):
http://admissionado.com/mba/3-tips-for- ... n=mba_blog

Second, about reapplication:
http://admissionado.com/mba/reapplying- ... n=mba_blog

My advice to you is, even if you aren't sure about taking on a consultant, have someone look at your packages from last year. The quickest way to see all the errors you have made is int he packages you already prepared. It can also be a good way for you to evaluate the skill and fit of your potential consultant before you commit to taking on lots of packages.

Feel free to drop us a line for a more full-on Free Consultation: http://bit.ly/mbafcGC of if you want a Ding Analysis (deductible from future packages should you sign up for it)

I hope you found this helpful, dude!
Best,
JF

==

***NEW Admissionado Products & Services! ***

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Now, read up and get smart:

That'll get you started. Still have questions? Reach out, and let’s gab. 
Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

Email: claudia@admissionado.com
Young People: WhatsApp or WeChat (@JonFrankHBS)
Older: FacebookTwitterLinkedIn 
Oldest: 866-409-4753
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 02:14
StratusMBACounselor wrote:
So I think one of the reasons why you may not have fared as well last time is because you have this "where can I get in" mentality instead of thinking about what you really need and then finding which schools have the best program for you-

I think this was true last year because I was trying to punch above my GMAT's weight. This year though, I am really trying to pick my schools according to where I think I fit in.

JonAdmissionado I appreciate the fact-based advice since I don't have too much time before the deadlines to realise something was sugarcoated. Also, having interacted with a lot of my big-4 colleagues who've applied to B-schools in the past ~2 years, I have reason to believe the opportunities that I have got have been the top quartile of this applicant pool. On a separate note, I am already in touch with your team and hope something good will come out of it.
P
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2017, 03:23
gmat7m wrote:
JonAdmissionado I appreciate the fact-based advice since I don't have too much time before the deadlines to realise something was sugarcoated. Also, having interacted with a lot of my big-4 colleagues who've applied to B-schools in the past ~2 years, I have reason to believe the opportunities that I have got have been the top quartile of this applicant pool. On a separate note, I am already in touch with your team and hope something good will come out of it.

Great! I too hope something most excellent will come out of it :)

All the best, dude!
JF

==

***NEW Admissionado Products & Services! ***

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Now, read up and get smart:

That'll get you started. Still have questions? Reach out, and let’s gab. 
Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

Email: claudia@admissionado.com
Young People: WhatsApp or WeChat (@JonFrankHBS)
Older: FacebookTwitterLinkedIn 
Oldest: 866-409-4753
GMAT Club Bot
Profile / School Selection / Fit   [#permalink] 29 Jul 2017, 03:23

Profile / School Selection / Fit

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap