GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jul 2018, 12:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Proponents of the electric car maintain that when

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

BSchool Forum Moderator
D
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
CAT Tests
Re: Proponents of the electric car maintain that when [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2017, 23:20
Proponents of the electric car maintain that when the technical problems associated with its battery design are solved, such cars will be widely used and, because they are emission-free, will result in an abatement of the environmental degradation caused by auto emissions. But unless we dam more rivers, the electricity to charge these batteries will come from nuclear or coal-fired power plants. Each of these three power sources produces considerable environmental damage. Thus, the electric car_________

Which one of the following most logically completes the argument?

The crux of the argument is that the author is trying to prove the proponents wrong. The author sites situations that will degrade the environment more than the car emissions would. We must not forget here that he sites the 3 situations just to REFUTE the proponents' stand. The author is not concerned about the direct impact of the cars on environment, but is worried about the wrong thinking of the proponents.

(A) will have worse environmental consequences than its proponents may believe -Correct as per our thinking above.
(B) will probably remain less popular than other types of cars -We can't say this from the passage above. The passage is about the environment degradation and not the popularity of cars.
(C) requires that purely technical problems be solved before it can succeed -Irrelevant.
(D) will increase the total level of emissions rather than reduce it -Emissions will be decreased. This is opposite of what is given in the passage.
(E) will not produce a net reduction in environmental degradation -We don't know the net effect. Maybe damming of rivers will be done on a smaller scale than before. We just don't have sufficient information about this option. Nevertheless, the argument is about refuting the proponents and this option doesn't talk about the main point.

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!

Preparing for RC my way

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2017, 04:46
Hey Experts,

I don't agree with OA, here.
A is too strong. The author does not say that the electric cars would worsen the environment.
I believe that E is our safest bet.
Hopefully, I am correct. :p

Desperately need 'KUDOS' !!

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2017, 11:40
rekhabishop wrote:
Hey Experts,

A is too strong. The author does not say that the electric cars would worsen the environment.

Check out the following posts below:
1) https://gmatclub.com/forum/proponents-o ... l#p1898298
2) https://gmatclub.com/forum/proponents-o ... l#p1899187

www.gmatninja.com

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2017, 04:17
rekhabishop wrote:
Hey Experts,

Hi rekhabishop,

Proponents of the electric car maintain that when the technical problems associated with its battery design are solved, such cars will be widely used and, because they are emission-free, will result in an abatement of the environmental degradation caused by auto emissions. But unless we dam more rivers, the electricity to charge these batteries will come from nuclear or coal-fired power plants. Each of these three power sources produces considerable environmental damage. Thus, the electric car ____________.

(A) will have worse environmental consequences than its proponents may believe -- Correct -- This answer choice is not saying that the effects are going to be negative, or that the negative effects will outweigh the positive effects. It's just saying that the positive effects won't be as great as the proponents believe because they forgot to factor in the recharging of the batteries.
(B) will probably remain less popular than other types of cars -- Incorrect -- can't say for sure
(C) requires that purely technical problems be solved before it can succeed -- Irrelevant
(D) will increase the total level of emissions rather than reduce it -- Incorrect -- can't say for sure -- we don't know whether environment degradation due to electric cars will be more than that of other cars
(E) will not produce a net reduction in environmental degradation -- Incorrect -- maybe electric cars will produce a net reduction in environmental degradation but not as much as proponents believe

Sarah claims that peanut butter is good for you. But Sarah failed to consider that peanut butter is high in saturated fat. Therefore, peanut butter is not as healthy as Sarah claims.

It follows a specific pattern. Someone says something, undermining evidence is provided, and a conclusion that says that the person is wrong is suggested.

Same thing in this question. Someone says that the electric car will be good for the environment, undermining evidence is offered, and then we're asked to provide the conclusion that the electric car will not be as good for the environment as some people claim.

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2017, 05:15
RisingForceX wrote:
Proponents of the electric car maintain that when the technical problems associated with its battery design are solved, such cars will be widely used and, because they are emission-free, will result in an abatement of the environmental degradation caused by auto emissions. But unless we dam more rivers, the electricity to charge these batteries will come from nuclear or coal-fired power plants. Each of these three power sources produces considerable environmental damage. Thus, the electric car ____________.

(A) will have worse environmental consequences than its proponents may believe
(B) will probably remain less popular than other types of cars
(C) requires that purely technical problems be solved before it can succeed
(D) will increase the total level of emissions rather than reduce it
(E) will not produce a net reduction in environmental degradation

Source: LSAT

Here is an explanation I found on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUmDTd45Igc
BSchool Forum Moderator
D
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2018, 08:56

(A) will have worse environmental consequences than its proponents may believe --correct
(B) will probably remain less popular than other types of cars --out of scope
(C) requires that purely technical problems be solved before it can succeed --out of scope
(D) will increase the total level of emissions rather than reduce it --we are talking about environmental degradation
(E) will not produce a net reduction in environmental degradation --It can mean equal as well.

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!

Preparing for RC my way

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GPA: 3.8
WE: Real Estate (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2018, 10:47

(A) will have worse environmental consequences than its proponents may believe. According to the passage, the "Proponents believe that the electrict car... will result in an abatement of the environmental degradation". As they did not consider the impacts of power plants, we can conclude that the electric car will have worse environmental consequences than its proponents may believe
(B) will probably remain less popular than other types of cars. (can not prove it)
(C) requires that purely technical problems be solved before it can succeed. (can not prove it)
(D) will increase the total level of emissions rather than reduce it. (can not prove it)
(E) will not produce a net reduction in environmental degradation. (44% marked this one. The electric car could actually produce a Net Reduction if the impact of reducing auto emissions > power sources damage. The passage does not provides evidence to compare both impacts and, therefore, you can not conclude that it will not produce a net reduction.

"Revenge is a dish best served cold"

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2018, 07:31
RisingForceX wrote:

(A) will have worse environmental consequences than its proponents may believe
(B) will probably remain less popular than other types of cars
(C) requires that purely technical problems be solved before it can succeed
(D) will increase the total level of emissions rather than reduce it
(E) will not produce a net reduction in environmental degradation

Source: LSAT

A: CORRECT. The argument suggests that the production of electric cars is not without consequences, specifically those which pose a threat to the environment. These "hidden" ramifications weaken the proponents' conclusion that environmental degradation will be mitigated by switching to electric cars.

B: Irrelevant. We are not concerned with the popularity of electric cars.

C: Fails to address the crux of the argument - that electric cars are not without environmental risks.

D: While this could be possible, the argument neither makes this distinction, nor does it provide evidence to suggest that this may be the case.

E: Like D, we have no way of knowing whether the total level of emissions will rise or fall as a result of increased electric car production, because this comparison is never made. All we know is that electric cars do pose a threat to the environment, albeit indirectly.
Re: Proponents of the electric car maintain that when   [#permalink] 15 Jul 2018, 07:31

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

Proponents of the electric car maintain that when

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap