It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 21:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Proponents of the electric car maintain that when

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 2030 [0], given: 462

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Proponents of the electric car maintain that when [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2017, 12:08
adkikani wrote:
Hi Experts GMATNinja mikemcgarry

I was able to cross out only B confidently (popularity in now where discussed in the argument)

For C-> confused between success of cars and its wide usage.

D -> it after solving technical problems, electric cars are widely used, then without cutting the source of these battery (ie nuclear or coal based plants) total level of emission is bound to increase.

E-> same reasoning as in (D)

Quote:
(C) requires that purely technical problems be solved before it can succeed

According to the passage, if the technical problems are solved, electric cars will be widely used. Choice (C) can, indeed, be inferred from the proponents' claim in the first sentence. The author does not dispute this claim. Instead, the author assumes that the claim is true and then builds an argument on that hypothetical situation. So while choice (C) is a valid inference made in the argument, it is not the logical conclusion of the argument.

Quote:
(D) will increase the total level of emissions rather than reduce it

We are only told that "each of these three power sources produces considerable environmental damage." We are not told HOW exactly they cause environmental damage. Perhaps those power sources produce environmental degradation in other ways besides emissions. Choice (D) cannot be logical inferred without further information.

Quote:
(E) will not produce a net reduction in environmental degradation

The author suggests that, even though automobile emissions will be reduced, powering electric cars will lead to an increase in environmental degradation from the three power sources mentioned. But the author does NOT necessarily contend that the environmental degradation from the power sources will outweigh the "abatement of the environmental degradation caused by auto emissions."

In other words, the author suggests that the "abatement of the environmental degradation caused by auto emissions" will be offset by an increase in environmental degradation caused by powering the electric cars. However, the author does not indicate the degree to which that abatement will be offset. The author's argument is valid whether electric cars produce a net reduction or a net increase in environmental degradation, so (E) can be eliminated.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2017, 02:19
Dear experts,
@GMATNinja; GMATNinjaTwo

I still find A not persuasive as the correct answer (even though I was able to eliminate all other choices). This option just doesn't sound logical to me. Below is my explanation. I'd appreciate if you could help me understand why A is the correct answer here.
According to the stimulus, the car proponents believe that the car "will result in an abatement of the environmental degradation caused by auto emissions". So we know that they believe that this source of environmental damage will be reduced, but we don't know about their beliefs regarding other environmental damage and the overall "environmental consequences" as a whole. It's totally possible that the proponents did consider both the environmental pros and cons of the car, including the damage caused by the electricity power sources, and still they believed that the pros are much better than cons (i.e. the net effect will be a considerable net reduction). So we can't conclude that the car will "have worse environmental consequences than its proponents may believe".

Thank you.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2017, 21:26
romeotc wrote:
Dear experts,
@GMATNinja; GMATNinjaTwo

I still find A not persuasive as the correct answer (even though I was able to eliminate all other choices). This option just doesn't sound logical to me. Below is my explanation. I'd appreciate if you could help me understand why A is the correct answer here.
According to the stimulus, the car proponents believe that the car "will result in an abatement of the environmental degradation caused by auto emissions". So we know that they believe that this source of environmental damage will be reduced, but we don't know about their beliefs regarding other environmental damage and the overall "environmental consequences" as a whole. It's totally possible that the proponents did consider both the environmental pros and cons of the car, including the damage caused by the electricity power sources, and still they believed that the pros are much better than cons (i.e. the net effect will be a considerable net reduction). So we can't conclude that the car will "have worse environmental consequences than its proponents may believe".

Thank you.

Notice the word "may" in choice A:

Quote:
(A) will have worse environmental consequences than its proponents may believe

That one little word changes the entire meaning of the answer choice! We do not need to know for sure that the proponents have not already considered the overall environmental consequences. All we need to know is that, according to what's in the passage, the proponents might not have considered those other consequences and thus may be overestimating the environmental benefits of electric cars.

Remember, we are looking for an answer that "most logically completes the argument." You've already eliminated the other four choices. Choice (A) is reasonable based on the information given, so it is definitely the best answer.

I hope that helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Director
Director
P

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 138

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2017, 23:20
Proponents of the electric car maintain that when the technical problems associated with its battery design are solved, such cars will be widely used and, because they are emission-free, will result in an abatement of the environmental degradation caused by auto emissions. But unless we dam more rivers, the electricity to charge these batteries will come from nuclear or coal-fired power plants. Each of these three power sources produces considerable environmental damage. Thus, the electric car_________

Which one of the following most logically completes the argument?

The crux of the argument is that the author is trying to prove the proponents wrong. The author sites situations that will degrade the environment more than the car emissions would. We must not forget here that he sites the 3 situations just to REFUTE the proponents' stand. The author is not concerned about the direct impact of the cars on environment, but is worried about the wrong thinking of the proponents.

(A) will have worse environmental consequences than its proponents may believe -Correct as per our thinking above.
(B) will probably remain less popular than other types of cars -We can't say this from the passage above. The passage is about the environment degradation and not the popularity of cars.
(C) requires that purely technical problems be solved before it can succeed -Irrelevant.
(D) will increase the total level of emissions rather than reduce it -Emissions will be decreased. This is opposite of what is given in the passage.
(E) will not produce a net reduction in environmental degradation -We don't know the net effect. Maybe damming of rivers will be done on a smaller scale than before. We just don't have sufficient information about this option. Nevertheless, the argument is about refuting the proponents and this option doesn't talk about the main point.

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
2. LSAT RC compilation
3. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
4. QOTD RC (Carcass)
5. Challange OG RC

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 138

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 42

GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2017, 04:46
Hey Experts,

I don't agree with OA, here.
A is too strong. The author does not say that the electric cars would worsen the environment.
I believe that E is our safest bet.
Hopefully, I am correct. :p

Desperately need 'KUDOS' !!

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 42

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
B

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 51

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2017, 11:40
rekhabishop wrote:
Hey Experts,

I don't agree with OA, here.
A is too strong. The author does not say that the electric cars would worsen the environment.
I believe that E is our safest bet.
Hopefully, I am correct. :p

Check out the following posts below:
1) https://gmatclub.com/forum/proponents-o ... l#p1898298
2) https://gmatclub.com/forum/proponents-o ... l#p1899187

www.gmatninja.com

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 51

Re: Proponents of the electric car maintain that when   [#permalink] 23 Aug 2017, 11:40

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 

Proponents of the electric car maintain that when

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap