GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 25 Apr 2018, 17:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Proponents of the electric car maintain that when

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Proponents of the electric car maintain that when [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Sep 2017, 18:44
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

41% (01:13) correct 59% (01:36) wrong based on 769 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Proponents of the electric car maintain that when the technical problems associated with its battery design are solved, such cars will be widely used and, because they are emission-free, will result in an abatement of the environmental degradation caused by auto emissions. But unless we dam more rivers, the electricity to charge these batteries will come from nuclear or coal-fired power plants. Each of these three power sources produces considerable environmental damage. Thus, the electric car ____________.

Which one of the following most logically completes the argument?

(A) will have worse environmental consequences than its proponents may believe
(B) will probably remain less popular than other types of cars
(C) requires that purely technical problems be solved before it can succeed
(D) will increase the total level of emissions rather than reduce it
(E) will not produce a net reduction in environmental degradation

Source: LSAT
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Originally posted by RisingForceX on 10 Nov 2009, 04:18.
Last edited by broall on 18 Sep 2017, 18:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reformatted question
Director
Director
Name: Ronak Amin
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Re: Proponents of the electric car maintain that when [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2009, 04:50
E for me. Other choices cannot be proved.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2009, 05:55
RisingForceX wrote:
Proponents of the electric car maintain that when the technical problems associated with its battery design are solved, such cars will be widely used and, because they are emission-free, will result in an abatement of the environmental degradation caused by auto emissions. But unless we dam more rivers, the electricity to charge these batteries will come from nuclear or coal-fired power plants. Each of these three power sources produces considerable environmental damage. Thus, the electric car_________

A for me.

Argument starts with proponent's belief about usage and environmental consequences of electric cars.
Then we provide a counterpremise.
Thus, in conclusion it's logically to refer back to proponent's belief. (That is, therefore belief is wrong)

A solves it accurately
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE: Analyst (Insurance)

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2009, 11:16
Economist, my only issue with E is that the text doesn’t warrant a statement about the net affect. The proponents of those cars believe that the environmental degradation will be abated that’s caused just by emission. It doesn’t mention anything else which IMO is necessary for a net affect statement. The text does absolutely support A though because it points out things that the proponents have not explicitly weighed.

He that is in me > he that is in the world. - source 1 John 4:4

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2009, 12:28
RisingForceX wrote:
Proponents of the electric car maintain that when the technical problems associated with its battery design are solved, such cars will be widely used and, because they are emission-free, will result in an abatement of the environmental degradation caused by auto emissions. But unless we dam more rivers, the electricity to charge these batteries will come from nuclear or coal-fired power plants. Each of these three power sources produces considerable environmental damage. Thus, the electric car_________

Between "A" and "E", I will go for "A".The passage mentions that 3 sources can produce significant environmental damage. It doesn't directly compare environmental impacts produced by auto emissions and 3 other sources.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2009, 09:53
The OA is (A).

Thanks all for sharing your opinions.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2009, 10:07
Quote:

I am going with A thru POE. I have a doubt with A - isn't 'will' indicating certainty when it should actually be 'would' (use of unless). Also, from C, isnt the electricity to charge batteries (battery issue) from nuclear and coal fired plants a technical issue?

I am still not too sure about C being wrong
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2009, 15:34
My answer is A

A) looks fine. Next
B) It says nothing about the popularity of these cars. Says about what environmentalists say about them
C) Out of scope
D) it is not guaranteed
E) it is not guaranteed too
VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2011, 04:34
Between A and E, A involves the proponents thinking too.That makes it better choice.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2013, 02:46
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Proponents of the electric car maintain that when the technical problems associated with its battery design are solved, such cars will be widely used and, because they are emission-free, will result in an abatement of the environmental degradation caused by auto emissions. But unless we dam more rivers, the electricity to charge these batteries will come from nuclear or coal-fired power plants. Each of these three power sources produces considerable environmental
damage. Thus, the electric car _______.

If questions jerk in your mind, then give me a KUDOS

1 KUDOS received
Senior RC Moderator
P
WE: General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2013, 03:12
This post received
KUDOS
i go with A...

The author with all his reasoning says that switching to electric cars won’t necessarily reduce environmental damage.

(A) will have worse environmental consequences than its proponents may believe- Seems to be better option- hold.
(B) will probably remain less popular than other types of cars- Info can be true sometime but not always true,
(C) requires that purely technical problems be solved before it can succeed- uses similar terminology as in the passage but presents irrelevant information
(D) will increase the total level of emissions rather than reduce it- Too extreme or out of scope.
(E) will not produce a net reduction in environmental degradation- the author never compares levels of environmental damage. So out..

A is the correct answer. Please post the exact source of the question. Is it a LSAT question??

Become a GMAT Club Premium member to avail lot of discounts

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 550 Q44 V21
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2015, 06:41
This is killer, both A and E are looking suitable. Can any expert guide here ?
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2015, 21:50
The term "Each of these three power sources produces considerable environmental damage" in question, did not state will it be higher or lower than that of auto emissions. So how could we say that E-cars will have WORSE impact on environment? How could it be A.

Rather, E stays neutral. Seems E must be the suitable one..

And as for the term "environmental degradation" in option E. Check the premise, which has "will result in an abatement of the environmental degradation". So my take is E.

Experts, please help...
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Nonprofit, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.96
WE: Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2015, 23:07
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
sheolokesh wrote:
The term "Each of these three power sources produces considerable environmental damage" in question, did not state will it be higher or lower than that of auto emissions. So how could we say that E-cars will have WORSE impact on environment? How could it be A.

And as for the term "environmental degradation" in option E. Check the premise, which has "will result in an abatement of the environmental degradation". So my take is E.

Experts, please help...

The answer is A. Answer E messes with the wording to try to trap you into the answer. The environmentalists are saying that electric cars eliminate environmental impact. It is definitely still possible to have them not be as great as the environmentalists think, but still be greater than the current system.

Answer A is right for that very reason. It will have worse consequences than the proponents believe, because the proponents believe it will have ZERO consequences. That's why A is right.

This may sound a little fuzzy, but I'll give you the advice that helped me on the LSAT (which I think offers much tougher CR questions than the GMAT). When I was doing the LSAT, I kept missing stupid CR questions until I realized one very important fact. There are no varying degrees of how "good" an answer is on the CR portion. One answer is RIGHT and the other four are WRONG. If you go through the 5 choices and think that two or more "could" be right, then something is wrong. It means that you are missing a key nuance somewhere. Either in the prompt, the question, or the answer choice. When that happens, I usually start by rereading the choices I'm debating between. After that I reread the question, then I reread the prompt (assuming that you haven't spotted the issue along the way). I give that order because I've found that for me personally, it breaks down like this. When I'm in that situation, about 60% of the time my error was in missing a nuance in the choices i'm debating between. About 30% of the time the error is in reading the other choices. And then about 10% of the time it's from the question or the prompt.

Whenever I've tutored people I've told them that this is the single most valuable piece of information I ever figured out. It allowed me to go from consistently making stupid errors, to literally never missing a single CR question. It'll take some time to figure it out, but I encourage you to try it. When you do figure it out you'll feel a million times more confident on CR questions.
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2015, 02:21
Cartman4179 wrote:
sheolokesh wrote:

Experts, please help...

The answer is A. Answer E messes with the wording to try to trap you into the answer. The environmentalists are saying that electric cars eliminate environmental impact. It is definitely still possible to have them not be as great as the environmentalists think, but still be greater than the current system.

Answer A is right for that very reason. It will have worse consequences than the proponents believe, because the proponents believe it will have ZERO consequences. That's why A is right.

This may sound a little fuzzy, but I'll give you the advice that helped me on the LSAT (which I think offers much tougher CR questions than the GMAT). When I was doing the LSAT, I kept missing stupid CR questions until I realized one very important fact. There are no varying degrees of how "good" an answer is on the CR portion. One answer is RIGHT and the other four are WRONG. If you go through the 5 choices and think that two or more "could" be right, then something is wrong. It means that you are missing a key nuance somewhere. Either in the prompt, the question, or the answer choice. When that happens, I usually start by rereading the choices I'm debating between. After that I reread the question, then I reread the prompt (assuming that you haven't spotted the issue along the way). I give that order because I've found that for me personally, it breaks down like this. When I'm in that situation, about 60% of the time my error was in missing a nuance in the choices i'm debating between. About 30% of the time the error is in reading the other choices. And then about 10% of the time it's from the question or the prompt.

Whenever I've tutored people I've told them that this is the single most valuable piece of information I ever figured out. It allowed me to go from consistently making stupid errors, to literally never missing a single CR question. It'll take some time to figure it out, but I encourage you to try it. When you do figure it out you'll feel a million times more confident on CR questions.

Thanks Cart. I will try this. And the answer choices. A seems suitable. As conclusion, if we negate them, it must not hold the argument in any way. Negation just like we do in the assumption questions.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V34
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2017, 04:00
Good question. Narrow down to E and A.

E is going beyond what the author said. "will not reduce" introduce a comparison between the existing impact and the impact related to the electric cars. Actually, we don't know if the impact of electric cars will not reduce the total level of degradation.

A is the best choice.

What was previously considered impossible is now obvious reality.
In the past, people used to open doors with their hands. Today, doors open "by magic" when people approach them

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
P
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2017, 23:33
Hi Experts GMATNinja mikemcgarry

I was able to cross out only B confidently (popularity in now where discussed in the argument)

For C-> confused between success of cars and its wide usage.

D -> it after solving technical problems, electric cars are widely used, then without cutting the source of these battery (ie nuclear or coal based plants) total level of emission is bound to increase.

E-> same reasoning as in (D)

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2017, 12:08
adkikani wrote:
Hi Experts GMATNinja mikemcgarry

I was able to cross out only B confidently (popularity in now where discussed in the argument)

For C-> confused between success of cars and its wide usage.

D -> it after solving technical problems, electric cars are widely used, then without cutting the source of these battery (ie nuclear or coal based plants) total level of emission is bound to increase.

E-> same reasoning as in (D)

Quote:

According to the passage, if the technical problems are solved, electric cars will be widely used. Choice (C) can, indeed, be inferred from the proponents' claim in the first sentence. The author does not dispute this claim. Instead, the author assumes that the claim is true and then builds an argument on that hypothetical situation. So while choice (C) is a valid inference made in the argument, it is not the logical conclusion of the argument.

Quote:

We are only told that "each of these three power sources produces considerable environmental damage." We are not told HOW exactly they cause environmental damage. Perhaps those power sources produce environmental degradation in other ways besides emissions. Choice (D) cannot be logical inferred without further information.

Quote:

The author suggests that, even though automobile emissions will be reduced, powering electric cars will lead to an increase in environmental degradation from the three power sources mentioned. But the author does NOT necessarily contend that the environmental degradation from the power sources will outweigh the "abatement of the environmental degradation caused by auto emissions."

In other words, the author suggests that the "abatement of the environmental degradation caused by auto emissions" will be offset by an increase in environmental degradation caused by powering the electric cars. However, the author does not indicate the degree to which that abatement will be offset. The author's argument is valid whether electric cars produce a net reduction or a net increase in environmental degradation, so (E) can be eliminated.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset -- Wednesdays, February 14 - April 4!

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2017, 02:19
Dear experts,
@GMATNinja; GMATNinjaTwo

I still find A not persuasive as the correct answer (even though I was able to eliminate all other choices). This option just doesn't sound logical to me. Below is my explanation. I'd appreciate if you could help me understand why A is the correct answer here.
According to the stimulus, the car proponents believe that the car "will result in an abatement of the environmental degradation caused by auto emissions". So we know that they believe that this source of environmental damage will be reduced, but we don't know about their beliefs regarding other environmental damage and the overall "environmental consequences" as a whole. It's totally possible that the proponents did consider both the environmental pros and cons of the car, including the damage caused by the electricity power sources, and still they believed that the pros are much better than cons (i.e. the net effect will be a considerable net reduction). So we can't conclude that the car will "have worse environmental consequences than its proponents may believe".

Thank you.
Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2017, 21:26
romeotc wrote:
Dear experts,
@GMATNinja; GMATNinjaTwo

I still find A not persuasive as the correct answer (even though I was able to eliminate all other choices). This option just doesn't sound logical to me. Below is my explanation. I'd appreciate if you could help me understand why A is the correct answer here.
According to the stimulus, the car proponents believe that the car "will result in an abatement of the environmental degradation caused by auto emissions". So we know that they believe that this source of environmental damage will be reduced, but we don't know about their beliefs regarding other environmental damage and the overall "environmental consequences" as a whole. It's totally possible that the proponents did consider both the environmental pros and cons of the car, including the damage caused by the electricity power sources, and still they believed that the pros are much better than cons (i.e. the net effect will be a considerable net reduction). So we can't conclude that the car will "have worse environmental consequences than its proponents may believe".

Thank you.

Notice the word "may" in choice A:

Quote:

That one little word changes the entire meaning of the answer choice! We do not need to know for sure that the proponents have not already considered the overall environmental consequences. All we need to know is that, according to what's in the passage, the proponents might not have considered those other consequences and thus may be overestimating the environmental benefits of electric cars.

Remember, we are looking for an answer that "most logically completes the argument." You've already eliminated the other four choices. Choice (A) is reasonable based on the information given, so it is definitely the best answer.

I hope that helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset -- Wednesdays, February 14 - April 4!

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Re: Proponents of the electric car maintain that when   [#permalink] 31 Jul 2017, 21:26

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 27 posts ] 

Proponents of the electric car maintain that when

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap