GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 20:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Proverbial wisdom states that “birds of a feather

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Proverbial wisdom states that “birds of a feather  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2018, 19:44
Question 1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 174 sessions

59% (03:07) correct 41% (02:57) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 2
A
B
C
D
E

based on 172 sessions

33% (01:19) correct 67% (01:18) wrong

Question 3
A
B
C
D
E

based on 168 sessions

46% (01:08) correct 54% (01:03) wrong

Proverbial wisdom states that “birds of a feather flock together.” Studies have shown that people of similar geographical and educational backgrounds and functional experience are extremely likely to found companies together. Not considering spousal teams in the dataset, it has been found that a founding team is five times more likely to be all-male or all-female team. Also, it is more likely to find founding teams that are remarkably homogeneous with regard to skills and functional backgrounds.

Homogeneity has important benefits. For the founder struggling to meet the challenges of a growing startup, selecting cofounders from among the people with whom he or she probably has important things in common is often the quickest and easiest solution. Not only does it generally take less time to find such people, but it also generally takes less time to develop effective working relationships with such similar people. When founders share a background, they share a common language that facilitates communication, ensuring that the team begins the work relationship with a mutual understanding and hence can skip over part of the learning curve that would absorb the energies of people with very different backgrounds. Increasing homogeneity may, therefore, be a particularly alluring- and, in some ways, a particularly sensible - approach for novice founders heading into unfamiliar territory. Certainly, studies have found that the greater the heterogeneity among executive team members, the greater the risk of interpersonal conflict and the lower the group-level integration. Even though it is very appealing to opt for the “comfortable” and “easy” decision to found with similar cofounders, by doing so founders may be causing long-term problems. Teams with a wide range of pertinent functional skills may be able to build more valuable and enduring startups. Conversely, homogenous teams tend to have overlapping human capital, making it more likely that the team will have redundant strengths and be missing critical skills.

1. From the passage, which of the following cannot be inferred as a benefit of homogeneous teams?
A. Finding a suitable PR and advertising person to add skills that the founders lack.
B. Using Six Sigma tools that the founders are familiar with to exchange information.
C. Evolving from concept to product quickly due to flawless execution.
D. Quickly dividing a complex task into subtasks and assigning them to different teams for execution.
E. Reduce interpersonal conflict while making key decisions.

2. Which of the following can be inferred about start-ups that comprise of homogeneous teams?
A. They may take longer than average to make decisions in areas that the founding members are not familiar about.
B. When they comprise of members who are remarkably homogeneous with regard to skills and functional backgrounds, they may not be able to build more valuable ventures.
C. They usually do not head into unfamiliar territory.
D. They are at a far greater risk of interpersonal conflict than an average startup is.
E. They may have redundant strengths that go underutilized.

3. The author’s main purpose of writing the passage is to:
A. evaluate the benefits and downsides of startups with a particular buildup of founding teams.
B. disprove an accepted notion regarding the success of startups comprising of homogeneous teams.
C. describe a thesis by presenting its upsides and downsides.
D. list the scenarios under which a particular buildup of founding teams may be successful.
E. submit contrasting benefits of various team structures in achieving a particular task

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Proverbial wisdom states that “birds of a feather  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2018, 21:44
Hi Skywalker18,

Can you please provide the explanation for Q1. Thank you!
examPAL Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2018, 01:08

Question 1

The answer is A

We'll go for the

Alternative

approach - since we are asked which cannot be the case, we'll just go over the answers and check which is wrong:

A. Finding a suitable PR and advertising person to add skills that the founders lack. But this is an advantage of heterogeneity - with homogeneity ether would be no such PR person! definitely wrong
B. Using Six Sigma tools that the founders are familiar with to exchange information. good communication is indeed described as an advantage
C. Evolving from concept to product quickly due to flawless execution. speed is indeed described as an advantage
D. Quickly dividing a complex task into subtasks and assigning them to different teams for execution. yes - homogenous teams are described as efficient
E. Reduce interpersonal conflict while making key decisions.this is explicitly stated

I am a CR Expert - Ask Me ANYTHING about CR
I am a DS Expert - Ask Me ANYTHING about DS

Watch free GMAT tutorials in Math, Verbal, IR, and AWA.

GMAT test takers: Watch now the GMAC interview with the people who write the GMAT test!
We discussed the chances of improving a GMAT score; how important the first questions on the test are; what to do if you don’t have enough time to complete a whole section; and more.

You can watch all the action from the interview here.

examPAL Representative
G
Proverbial wisdom states that “birds of a feather  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2018, 01:14

Question 2

The answer is B.

We'll use the

Logical

approach, since we are asked to infer.
The passage lists many advantages of homogenous teams, yet in the end it describes some disadvantages. By telling us that heterogenous teams may build "more valuable" startups, we can directly infer that homogenous teams may build less valuable ones - answer (B).

If we're still not sure, we can eliminate the other answers:
A. They may take longer than average to make decisions in areas that the founding members are not familiar about. the exact opposite is stated
C. They usually do not head into unfamiliar territory. the opposite is stated: " Increasing homogeneity may, therefore, be a particularly alluring- and, in some ways, a particularly sensible - approach for novice founders heading into unfamiliar territory"

D. They are at a far greater risk of interpersonal conflict than an average startup is. the opposite is stated: they are at a lesser risk
E. They may have redundant strengths that go underutilized. they do have redundant strengths - but why would these be underutilized? we'd except the opposite - they would mainly use these strengths

GMAT test takers: Watch now the GMAC interview with the people who write the GMAT test!
We discussed the chances of improving a GMAT score; how important the first questions on the test are; what to do if you don’t have enough time to complete a whole section; and more.

examPAL Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2018, 01:29

Question 3

The answer is B.

We can solve using the

Logical

approach - let's just ask ourselves: What is this passage about?

Well, the passage opens by describing a phenomenon (startup founding homogeneity), then goes on to describe its advantages, and then disadvantages. No clear judgement is given on whether the pros or the cons are stronger. So it seems the goal is to simply A. evaluate the benefits and downsides of startups with a particular buildup of founding teams.

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2018, 03:26
DavidTutorexamPAL wrote:

Question 3

The answer is B.

We can solve using the

Logical

Well, the passage opens by describing a phenomenon (startup founding homogeneity), then goes on to describe its advantages, and then disadvantages. No clear judgement is given on whether the pros or the cons are stronger. So it seems the goal is to simply A. evaluate the benefits and downsides of startups with a particular buildup of founding teams.
Can you please explain why C is wrong for ques 3?
examPAL Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2018, 04:35
vtomar20 wrote:
DavidTutorexamPAL wrote:

Question 3

The answer is B.

We can solve using the

Logical

Can you please explain why C is wrong for ques 3?

Sure thing vtomar20
answer 3 says "C. describe a thesis by presenting its upsides and downsides."
Well, we definitely have downsides and upsides here, so that part's correct. But what is the thesis? What is being discussed - homogeneity of startup founders - is a phenomenon or maybe a method, not a thesis.

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V41

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2018, 05:18
I don't understand how C is not the answer in question 1:

Quote:
C. Evolving from concept to product quickly due to flawless execution

Keeping GMAT preferences in mind I can't see how "flawless execution" can be a valid statement. Its so extreme that it usually can't be a correct answer.
Additionally, we're talking about start-ups. In what world can start-ups have a flawless execution when developing a new product?

My goal: 700 GMAT score - REACHED :-) | My debrief - first attempt 710 (Q44,V41,IR7)

If I could help you with my answer, consider giving me Kudos

examPAL Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2018, 23:14
Masterscorp wrote:
I don't understand how C is not the answer in question 1:

Quote:
C. Evolving from concept to product quickly due to flawless execution

Keeping GMAT preferences in mind I can't see how "flawless execution" can be a valid statement. Its so extreme that it usually can't be a correct answer.
Additionally, we're talking about start-ups. In what world can start-ups have a flawless execution when developing a new product?

You have a point, it is quite strong language to use. However, (A) is simply more wrong - it mentions something which is totally unconnected, whereas C states something which is exaggerated.

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2018, 23:24
workout
in question 3 why not option c?
passage tells about upside and downside.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Proverbial wisdom states that “birds of a feather &nbs [#permalink] 02 Oct 2018, 23:24

Proverbial wisdom states that “birds of a feather

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap