It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 06:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Psychologists have noticed that the vast majority of diagnosed sociopa

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
V

Kudos [?]: 1142 [0], given: 547

GPA: 3.4
Premium Member
Psychologists have noticed that the vast majority of diagnosed sociopa [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2017, 12:04
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

42% (02:05) correct 58% (01:44) wrong based on 151 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Psychologists have noticed that the vast majority of diagnosed sociopaths were juvenile delinquents in their youth. They hypothesize that a juvenile delinquent is more likely than youth in the general population to become a diagnosed sociopath as an adult because punishment at a young age fosters antisocial behavior.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the psychologists’ interpretation of the link between punishment and antisocial behavior?

A The rate of adults diagnosed as sociopaths who were not juvenile delinquents is four times lower than the rate of adults diagnosed as sociopaths who were juvenile delinquents.
B The correlation found by the psychologists has been noted to be true for psychopaths and those with borderline personality disorder.
C Almost everyone who spent time in juvenile hall as a youth exhibits abnormal behavior as an adult.
D The likelihood of a juvenile delinquent becoming a diagnosed sociopath later in life increases the longer he or she remains incarcerated.
E Less than half of adults who are diagnosed sociopaths have reported they spent less than one year in juvenile delinquent facilities in their youth.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Official PS Practice Questions
Press +1 Kudos if this post is helpful

Kudos [?]: 1142 [0], given: 547

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 64

Re: Psychologists have noticed that the vast majority of diagnosed sociopa [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 04:29
1) can someone explain why B is wrong?
2) Why does the time period or length of punishment (option D) matter here?

Director
Director
P

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 46

Re: Psychologists have noticed that the vast majority of diagnosed sociopa [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 09:35
why A is incorrect ? please help .

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 46

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 09:52
sobby wrote:
why A is incorrect ? please help .

Psychologists have noticed that the vast majority of diagnosed sociopaths were juvenile delinquents in their youth. They hypothesize that a juvenile delinquent is more likely than youth in the general population to become a diagnosed sociopath as an adult because punishment at a young age fosters antisocial behavior.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the psychologists’ interpretation of the link between punishment and antisocial behavior?

A The rate of adults diagnosed as sociopaths who were not juvenile delinquents is four times lower than the rate of adults diagnosed as sociopaths who were juvenile delinquents.
B The correlation found by the psychologists has been noted to be true for psychopaths and those with borderline personality disorder.
C Almost everyone who spent time in juvenile hall as a youth exhibits abnormal behavior as an adult.
D The likelihood of a juvenile delinquent becoming a diagnosed sociopath later in life increases the longer he or she remains incarcerated.
E Less than half of adults who are diagnosed sociopaths have reported they spent less than one year in juvenile delinquent facilities in their youth.

The conclusion is that juvenile delinquent is more likely than youth in general population to become a diagnosed sociopath as an adult because punishment at a young age fosters antisocial behavior.

Option A says the opposite and hence is a weakener.

5 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [5], given: 117

Psychologists have noticed that the vast majority of diagnosed sociopa [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2017, 06:05
This post received
KUDOS
I found this to be an extremely challenging problem which I was still unsure of when I selected my answer (D). This question took me 3:24 to complete. Below I will outline my thought process.

Statement: Punishment at a young age makes anti-social behavior (Sociopathetic tendencies) more likely to occur. There is causation in this statement Punishment > Anti-social behavior.
Q: What strengthens the hypothesis that this causation is true?

This option says, that sociopaths are in fact more likely to have been juvenile delinquents. But it does not say that being juvenile delinquent caused the sociopathic behavior or vice versa. I kept this to review until the end, because it seems like a strong answer.

This option is completely out of scope. 1) Who cares about correlation between psychopaths and personality disorder. 2) Psychopaths are not sociopaths, 3) Personality disorder is not necessarily anti-social behavior.

This is a tricky answer choice. The key words here is Abnormal behavior. Abnormal behavior might mean eating pizza with a spoon (which isn't necessarily anti-social). If they mean anti-social behavior the question would have said it. This does not relate to the above passage.

This statement says, the longer the person in incarcerated, the more likely it is that the person will become a sociopath. This directly relates to the causation concept. Additionally, the word that tipped me off was "Likelihood" which is also mentioned in the passage (Likely). By reviewing the likely aspects of the passage it tipped me off that it was discussing the concept that one led to another, not that the relationship merely exists.

E Less than half of adults who are diagnosed sociopaths have reported they spent less than one year in juvenile delinquent facilities in their youth
This option is nearly identical to A. While it is a negative version, it says, 60% (or some number > 50%) of sociopaths, have spent more than 1 year as a juvenile delinquent. This again explains that Sociopaths are likely to be incarcerated at a young age, but does not show the link that incarceration leads to being a sociopath. If you were to choose A, you have to seriously consider E as well. This was the second thing that tipped me to D. I couldn't logically determine any true difference between A and E.

Kudos [?]: 8 [5], given: 117

3 KUDOS received
Director
Director
P

Kudos [?]: 169 [3], given: 138

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2017, 12:58
This post received
KUDOS

A The rate of adults diagnosed as sociopaths who were not juvenile delinquents is four times lower than the rate of adults diagnosed as sociopaths who were juvenile delinquents. -We already know from the passage that the young adults grow to be sociopath in smaller number than do delinquents.
B The correlation found by the psychologists has been noted to be true for psychopaths and those with borderline personality disorder. -irrelevant
C Almost everyone who spent time in juvenile hall as a youth exhibits abnormal behavior as an adult. -Abnormal behaviour?
D The likelihood of a juvenile delinquent becoming a diagnosed sociopath later in life increases the longer he or she remains incarcerated. -Correct. If a delinquent is punished for a longer time then the chances of him becoming a sociopath also increase.
E Less than half of adults who are diagnosed sociopaths have reported they spent less than one year in juvenile delinquent facilities in their youth. -This weakens the argument.

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
2. LSAT RC compilation
3. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
4. QOTD RC (Carcass)
5. Challange OG RC

Kudos [?]: 169 [3], given: 138

Re: Psychologists have noticed that the vast majority of diagnosed sociopa   [#permalink] 23 Nov 2017, 12:58

Psychologists have noticed that the vast majority of diagnosed sociopa

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap