It is currently 20 Apr 2018, 09:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

QOTD: First discovered more than 30 years ago

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
QOTD: First discovered more than 30 years ago [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2017, 09:12
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

59% (00:49) correct 41% (01:48) wrong based on 897 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 6: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

First discovered more than 30 years ago, Lina's sunbird, a four-and-a-half-inch animal found in the Philippines and that resembles a hummingbird, has shimmering metallic colors on its head; a brilliant orange patch, bordered with red tufts, in the center of its breast; and a red eye.

A. found in the Philippines and that resembles
B. found in the Philippines and that, resembling
C. found in the Philippines and resembling
D. that is found in the Philippines and it resembles
E. that is found in the Philippines, resembling

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: QOTD: First discovered more than 30 years ago [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2017, 09:13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
We can ditch (A) and (B) pretty quickly: "and" is followed by a phrase beginning with "that" -- and there's nothing earlier in the sentence that could possibly be parallel to the phrase beginning with "that."

(C) doesn't sound parallel, but it is. "Found" is just an adjective that modifies the animal, and so is "resembling." Sure, they don't sound the same, but they're both adjectives, so we're all good here. Let's keep (C).

(For more on parallelism and "-ing" words, check out this week's Verbal Experts' Topic of the Week: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 39780.html).

The parallelism isn't quite right in (D), either. The phrase that follows "and" is a brand-new clause: "it resembles a hummingbird." And that can't possibly be correct here, since "it resembles a hummingbird" isn't parallel to "that is found in the Philippines". Besides, the underlined portion is part of a modifier, and I have no idea why we would stick a full, independent clause inside that modifier. So (D) is gone.

So we're down to (C) and (E). Here's (E) again:
Quote:
(E) First discovered more than 30 years ago, Lina's sunbird, a four-and-a-half-inch animal that is found in the Philippines, resembling a hummingbird, has shimmering metallic colors on its head...

The trouble here is that we have a messy (and unnecessary) "double modifier": "that is found in the Philippines" modifies the animal, and so does the phrase "resembling a hummingbird." Notice that (C) puts these two modifiers in a nice, parallel structure. That isn't happening in (E) -- it's almost as if "resembling a hummingbird" is trying to modify the other modifier, "that is found in the Philippines," and that just doesn't make any sense. (C) is much clearer, and it's our winner.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset -- Wednesdays, February 14 - April 4!

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: ISB '18
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2017, 10:08
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
First discovered more than 30 years ago, Lina's sunbird, a four-and-a-half-inch animal found in the Philippines and that resembles a hummingbird, has shimmering metallic colors on its head; a brilliant orange patch, bordered with red tufts, in the center of its breast; and a red eye.

"found in...and that resembles a..." is not parallel
One is verb-ed modifier and other is a verb

"resembling" tags the preceding verb/action which alters the meaning

NOTE: Verb-ed and Verb-ing modifiers are parallel to each other. Hence both "found" & "resembling" correctly modify Lina's sunbird and are parallel hence RIGHT ANSWER choice

"found" & "resembles" not parallel

"resembling" incorrectly used modifier. It modifies the preceding verb which is not correct
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2017, 10:35
This post received
KUDOS

animal found and animal resembling --- parallel

IMO C

Hit kudos if you like my post

Today's preparation determines tomorrow's achievement.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2017, 08:02
The answer is option C. It is a case of imperfect parallelism. verb-ed || verb-ing. Found || resembling.

" The few , the fearless "

Manager
Manager
P
Concentration: Leadership, Accounting
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2017, 15:41
C is correct because Found and Resembling are both participles. As GMATninja said they are adjectives so they are parallel. The Ing vs Ed does not make a difference. Found is past participle, and resembling is present participle but they are still both participles the are modifying Lina's sunbird. So its fine.

C is the answer.

Winners dont make excuses.

350--> 700

https://gmatclub.com/forum/700-q47-v39-ir-7-awa-246682.html

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
P
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 28 Jun 2017, 07:21
GMATNinja wrote:
We can ditch (A) and (B) pretty quickly: "and" is followed by a phrase beginning with "that" -- and there's nothing earlier in the sentence that could possibly be parallel to the phrase beginning with "that."

(C) doesn't sound parallel, but it is. "Found" is just an adjective that modifies the animal, and so is "resembling." Sure, they don't sound the same, but they're both adjectives, so we're all good here. Let's keep (C).

(For more on parallelism and "-ing" words, check out this week's Verbal Experts' Topic of the Week: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 39780.html).

The parallelism isn't quite right in (D), either. The phrase that follows "and" is a brand-new clause: "it resembles a hummingbird." And that can't possibly be correct here, since "it resembles a hummingbird" isn't parallel to "that is found in the Philippines". Besides, the underlined portion is part of a modifier, and I have no idea why we would stick a full, independent clause inside that modifier. So (D) is gone.

Quote:
(E) First discovered more than 30 years ago, Lina's sunbird, a four-and-a-half-inch animal that is found in the Philippines, resembling a hummingbird, has shimmering metallic colors on its head...

The trouble here is that we have a messy (and unnecessary) "double modifier": "that is found in the Philippines" modifies the animal, and so does the phrase "resembling a hummingbird." Notice that (C) puts these two modifiers in a nice, parallel structure. That isn't happening in (E) -- it's almost as if "resembling a hummingbird" is trying to modify the other modifier, "that is found in the Philippines," and that just doesn't make any sense. (C) is much clearer, and it's our winner.

Hi GMATNinja
I am totally confused with modifiers in option C/D, I am unable to get to OA: C
I selected option D with below understanding:
a four-and-a-half-inch animal that is found in the Philippine is my first independent clause with that as a subject and is found as verb
Moving on
and it resembles it correctly refers to 4.5 inch animal (no pronoun ambiguity here) and with it as subject and resembles as verb, this also forms
another independent clause (IC)
Both ICs are correctly joined by AND as connector since there are only two elements in this list. I feel meaning wise and grammatically this option sounds good.
Further as you mentioned in your post the underlined portion is part of a modifier, and I have no idea why we would stick a full, independent clause inside that modifier
are you considering that is found in the Philippines as modifier? Further in option C, can found act as verb-ed modifier which modifies Lisa's sunbird by jumping over animal? Note here there is no helping verb associated with found
WR,
Arpit

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Originally posted by adkikani on 15 May 2017, 11:04.
Last edited by adkikani on 28 Jun 2017, 07:21, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2017, 22:37
adkikani wrote:
a four-and-a-half-inch animal that is found in the Philippine is my first independent clause with that as a subject and is found as verb

Hi Arpit, perhaps this was the reason for confusion. Following is just a phrase (and not a clause):

a four-and-a-half-inch animal that is found in the Philippines

This basically comprises a phrase (a four-and-a-half-inch animal) + a Dependent clause (that is found in the Philippines).

Such structures always function as phrases in English grammar.

Quote:
Moving on
and it resembles it correctly refers to 4.5 inch animal (no pronoun ambiguity here) and with it as subject and resembles as verb, this also forms

Correct.

Quote:
Further in option C, can found act as verb-ed modifier which modifies Lisa's sunbird by jumping over animal?

found is indeed a past participle here, modifying four-and-a-half-inch animal.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Clauses (Independent and Dependent), their application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2017, 23:20
souvik101990 wrote:

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 6: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

B. found in the Philippines and that, resembling and that, is wrong

Parallelism Error

Helping verb is not required .

Incorrect modifier

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.

Answer Choice A)

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2017, 23:27
GMATNinja wrote:

Quote:

I wish to know why use of "that "
in second clause is wrong . Isn't it referring to sun bird?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
P
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2017, 23:25
EducationAisle wrote:
adkikani wrote:

Hi Arpit, perhaps this was the reason for confusion. Following is just a phrase (and not a clause):

a four-and-a-half-inch animal that is found in the Philippines

This basically comprises a phrase (a four-and-a-half-inch animal) + a Dependent clause (that is found in the Philippines).

Such structures always function as phrases in English grammar.

Quote:
Moving on

Correct.

Quote:
Further in option C, can found act as verb-ed modifier which modifies Lisa's sunbird by jumping over animal?

found is indeed a past participle here, modifying four-and-a-half-inch animal.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Clauses (Independent and Dependent), their application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

a four-and-a-half-inch animal that is found in the Philippines is a phrase not a clause since in spite of having a subject and verb, it communicates partial meaning.
Am I interpreting you correctly?

SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2017, 00:58
ones should never pay attention to words that are not underlined if those words have wrong grammar issues.
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 09:27
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
adkikani wrote:
Hi GMATNinja
I am totally confused with modifiers in option C/D, I am unable to get to OA: C
Moving on
Both ICs are correctly joined by AND as connector since there are only two elements in this list. I feel meaning wise and grammatically this option sounds good.
Further as you mentioned in your post the underlined portion is part of a modifier, and I have no idea why we would stick a full, independent clause inside that modifier
are you considering that is found in the Philippines as modifier? Further in option C, can found act as verb-ed modifier which modifies Lisa's sunbird by jumping over animal? Note here there is no helping verb associated with found
WR,
Arpit

Hello adkikani /Arpit,

Thank you for the query. This is in response to your PM. :)

Let's begin from the beginning. The meaning of the sentence is pretty clear and easy to understand. The sentence presents a lot of information about this bird named Lina's sunbird.

Let's take a look at the structure of this sentence:

First discovered more than 30 years ago, Lina's sunbird, a four-and-a-half-inch animal
    found in the Philippines and
    that resembles a hummingbird,

has
    shimmering metallic colors on its head;
    a brilliant orange patch, bordered with red tufts, in the center of its breast;
    and a red eye.

As you can see, there are two SV pairs in the sentence. The SV pair Lina's sunbird has makes the IC and the SV pair that resembles makes the DC.

Since found in the Philippines and that resembles a hummingbird modify a four-and-a-half-inch animal = Lina's sunbird, they form a parallel list, evident by the connector and. But this list is not grammatically parallel because found in the Philippines is verb-ed modifier while that resembles a hummingbird is a clause. They both have the same function in the sentence, i. e., they both modify the same noun entity. But a phrase modifier cannot be parallel to a clause modifier. Hence, the original sentence is incorrect.

Now, let's take a look at the sentence with the correct answer choice C:

First discovered more than 30 years ago, Lina's sunbird, a four-and-a-half-inch animal
    found in the Philippines and
    resembling a hummingbird,
has
    a brilliant orange patch, bordered with red tufts, in the center of its breast; and
    a red eye.

Per this choice, both the modifiers found in the Philippines and resembling a hummingbird form the perfect list. Both the modifiers are phrases.

It is true that found in the Philippines is a verb-ed modifier and resembling a hummingbird is a verb-ing modifier and hence, they do not look similar. But "looks" do not matter. Both the modifiers perform the same function in this sentence, i. e., they both modify the same noun entity and appear as phrases. Therefore, these two noun modifiers are perfectly parallel.

You can perform the same analysis with all the other answer choices to spot the errors with the remaining three answer choices.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

P
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 18:30
Hi egmat

Let me know if my understanding is correct for option D:

First discovered more than 30 years ago, Lina's sunbird, a four-and-a-half-inch animal (Clause 1)
that is found in the Philippines (pronoun that is modifying animal)
and it resembles a hummingbird, (and suggests parallelism with it refers back to animal and is found and resembles are verbs for subject - animal) . Hope pronoun is not ambiguous here
has
shimmering[/color] metallic colors on its head,
a brilliant orange patch, bordered with red tufts,
in the center of its breast; and a red eye. (cont. of clause 1)

The only issue I found in D is usage of AND since AND only is advised to use before last element in parallel list, i.e, before has

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 19:31
adkikani wrote:

First discovered more than 30 years ago, Lina's sunbird, a four-and-a-half-inch animal (Clause 1)
and it resembles a hummingbird, (and suggests parallelism with it refers back to animal and is found and resembles are verbs for subject - animal) . Hope pronoun is not ambiguous here
has

The only issue I found in D is usage of AND since AND only is advised to use before last element in parallel list, i.e, before has

Hi adkikani, in D, following elements are supposed to be parallel:

(a) that is found in the Philippines and
(b) it resembles a hummingbird

However, they are not parallel because (a) is a Dependent clause while (b) is an Independent clause.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses parallelism with clauses, their application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 19:35
adkikani wrote:
a four-and-a-half-inch animal that is found in the Philippines is a phrase not a clause since in spite of having a subject and verb, it communicates partial meaning.
Am I interpreting you correctly?

Hi adkikani, basically following structure always functions as a phrase:

Phrase + a Dependent clause

Some examples:

i) Car that is red
ii) Pencil, which is broken
iii) Students who are in the class

Thanks,
Ashish

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 09:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
adkikani wrote:
Hi egmat

has

Hello adkikani /Arpit,

has

You have identified the first SV pair correctly. However, the second SV pair that you have identified is not correct. The subject for the verb is found is that and not animal.

Please bear in mind that more often than not the relative pronoun modifier acts as the subject of the dependent clause it starts. For example:

1. The book that is kept on the desk belongs to me.

2. My friend has a vintage car that needs immediate repair.

In the above mentioned example sentences, that is the subject for the verbs is kept and needs in respective sentences even if that in sentence 1. refers to The book and to a vintage car in sentence 2.

Now let's talk about Choice D of the official question at hand.

that is found in the Philippines and
    it resembles a hummingbird,

has
    a brilliant orange patch, bordered with red tufts, in the center of its breast; and
    a red eye.

As you can see, in the first parallel list, that is found in the Philippines is a dependent clause and it resembles a hummingbird is an independent clause. Structurally, these two entities are not parallel.

If we replace it with that in the second parallel entity, then the choice would be correct.

There is no issue with the usage of and in Choice D because there are two lists in the sentence as you can see in the sentence structure above.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.12
WE: Education (Internet and New Media)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 10:59

This question checks the parallelism among the modifiers ( V+ed and V+ing found and resembling)

Meaning

The meaning of the sentence is very clear on the first read. It is the description of the bird.

POE
The Lina' Sunbird is followed by two commas meaning the following sentence ", a four-and-a-half-inch animal found in the Philippines and that resembles a hummingbird," . So the phrase or sentence within the commas is a is a modifier

after the second comma, there is a verb has shimmering metallic colors which agree with the subject Lina's sunbird which was discovered 30 years ago.

"that" does not modify the noun Lina's sunbird

"that" does not modify the noun Lina's sunbird

Here found(V+ed) and resembling(V+ing) are modifiers of the noun The Lina's sunbird and has shimmering is the following verb

Parallelism error
1. It must be
that is found in the Philippines
and that resembles
2.And also since "found" is an action verb the following verb should also be in past tense which will not agree with the present perfect continuous verb has shimmering

Parallelism error.
that is found in the Philippines, resembling something then the non-underlined following verb "has shimmering" also must be followed by that

Never stop fighting until you arrive at your destined place - that is, the unique you. Have an aim in life, continuously acquire knowledge, work hard, and have the perseverance to realise the great life. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 22:39
My Explanation:
Expert daagh egmat GMATNinja pls help if my understanding is not right.
this question is basically testing our understanding of parallel structure. The underlined part is a piece of modifier, which is modifying “Lina’s sunbird”. We know we have to take extra care on the parallel markers like and,but,or, etc.. Now let’s start eliminating wrong choices one by one.
A. found in the Philippines and that resembles – here “and” is connecting two parallel list modifying “lina’s sunbird”. Here “found” a participle and “that resembles a humming bird” a DC is not parallel in structure- Hence OUT.
B. found in the Philippines and that, resembling- Here, “Found” and “that+,+ participles (resembling)” are not parallel. Here, to make these two parallel, that+comma has to be removed. OUT
C. found in the Philippines and resembling- CORRECT- Found (participle) & Resembling (participial) both are parallel in structure.
D. that is found in the Philippines and it resembles – “that is found in the Philippines” and “it resembles a hummingbird” are not parallel because the first is a DC & the second is an IC. OUT
E. that is found in the Philippines, resembling – Here we need a parallel structure, which should modify the “Lina’s sunbird”, but “resembling a hummingbird” is now modifying the DC “that is found in the Philippines”- which is nonsensical.
C is the winner.
Re: QOTD: First discovered more than 30 years ago   [#permalink] 29 Mar 2018, 22:39

QOTD: First discovered more than 30 years ago

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap