Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30790 [1]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [1]
Given Kudos: 420
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 500 Q47 V15
GPA: 3.4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: First discovered more than 30 years ago, Lina's sunbird, a four-and-a- [#permalink]
Kudos
egmat wrote:
adkikani wrote:
Hi GMATNinja
I am totally confused with modifiers in option C/D, I am unable to get to OA: C
I selected option D with below understanding:
a four-and-a-half-inch animal that is found in the Philippine is my first independent clause with that as a subject and is found as verb
Moving on
and it resembles it correctly refers to 4.5 inch animal (no pronoun ambiguity here) and with it as subject and resembles as verb, this also forms
another independent clause (IC)
Both ICs are correctly joined by AND as connector since there are only two elements in this list. I feel meaning wise and grammatically this option sounds good.
Further as you mentioned in your post the underlined portion is part of a modifier, and I have no idea why we would stick a full, independent clause inside that modifier
are you considering that is found in the Philippines as modifier? Further in option C, can found act as verb-ed modifier which modifies Lisa's sunbird by jumping over animal? Note here there is no helping verb associated with found
WR,
Arpit

Hi E-

Hello adkikani /Arpit,

Thank you for the query. This is in response to your PM. :)

Let's begin from the beginning. The meaning of the sentence is pretty clear and easy to understand. The sentence presents a lot of information about this bird named Lina's sunbird.

Let's take a look at the structure of this sentence:

First discovered more than 30 years ago, Lina's sunbird, a four-and-a-half-inch animal
    found in the Philippines and
    that resembles a hummingbird,

has
    shimmering metallic colors on its head;
    a brilliant orange patch, bordered with red tufts, in the center of its breast;
    and a red eye.

As you can see, there are two SV pairs in the sentence. The SV pair Lina's sunbird has makes the IC and the SV pair that resembles makes the DC.

Since found in the Philippines and that resembles a hummingbird modify a four-and-a-half-inch animal = Lina's sunbird, they form a parallel list, evident by the connector and. But this list is not grammatically parallel because found in the Philippines is verb-ed modifier while that resembles a hummingbird is a clause. They both have the same function in the sentence, i. e., they both modify the same noun entity. But a phrase modifier cannot be parallel to a clause modifier. Hence, the original sentence is incorrect.

Now, let's take a look at the sentence with the correct answer choice C:

First discovered more than 30 years ago, Lina's sunbird, a four-and-a-half-inch animal
    found in the Philippines and
    resembling a hummingbird,
has
    a brilliant orange patch, bordered with red tufts, in the center of its breast; and
    a red eye.

Per this choice, both the modifiers found in the Philippines and resembling a hummingbird form the perfect list. Both the modifiers are phrases.

It is true that found in the Philippines is a verb-ed modifier and resembling a hummingbird is a verb-ing modifier and hence, they do not look similar. But "looks" do not matter. Both the modifiers perform the same function in this sentence, i. e., they both modify the same noun entity and appear as phrases. Therefore, these two noun modifiers are perfectly parallel.

You can perform the same analysis with all the other answer choices to spot the errors with the remaining three answer choices.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi egmat,

Need your help to understand this solution.

First discovered more than 30 years ago, Lina's sunbird, a four-and-a-half-inch animal found in the Philippines and that resembles a hummingbird, has shimmering metallic colors on its head; a brilliant orange patch, bordered with red tufts, in the center of its breast; and a red eye.

(A) found in the Philippines and that resembles
(B) found in the Philippines and that, resembling
(C) found in the Philippines and resembling
(D) that is found in the Philippines and it resembles
(E) that is found in the Philippines, resembling

Sentence structure -

First discovered more than 30 years ago, [ Modifier modifying Subject]
Lina's sunbird,
a four-and-a-half-inch animal found in the Philippines and that resembles a hummingbird, [Noun + Noun Modifier]
has
a brilliant orange patch, bordered with red tufts, in the center of its breast; and a red eye. [This is the list]

I understand that C is correct and better answer for this sentence.

1) My question is generic, Can we place two modifier next to each other.

2)
First discovered more than 30 years ago, Lina's sunbird, a four-and-a-half-inch animal that is found in the Philippines, resembling
has shimmering metallic colors on its head;
a brilliant orange patch, bordered with red tufts, in the center of its breast; and a red eye.

Whether this sentence structure can be considered correct? And As what is the best way to eliminate E.

Thanks
Sudhanshu
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [3]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: First discovered more than 30 years ago, Lina's sunbird, a four-and-a- [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
SudhanshuSingh, check out the explanation here for some insights on answer choice (E). In this particular sentence, we certainly could put two modifiers next to each other, but if those modifiers are parallel to each other -- in other words, if they logically modify the same thing -- then they should ideally be separated with an "and", as they are in answer choice (C).

I hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
Send PM
How come Option C doesn't have a parallelism error " found and resembling" ?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
shreytrivedi wrote:
How come Option C doesn't have a parallelism error " found and resembling" ?

Hi Shrey, this is because found is used as a past participle here, while resembling is used as a present participle.

Both past participles and present participles are adjectives and hence, considered grammatically similar to each other. For this reason, participles are also considered grammatically similar to adjectives.

For example, following is correct sentence:

Fans of the club, impatient and hoping for their club to win, were disappointed.

Impatient (adjective) is grammatically similar to hoping for their club to win (present participle)

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses participles, their application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
GMATNinja , Can't the "that" in A be said as a parallel element to a noun modifier "a four and a half inch animal"?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Vishal, for that to be parallel to another element, the sentence should have been modified as:

Lina's sunbird, a four-and-a-half-inch animal that is found in the Philippines and that resembles a hummingbird
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
Hi guys,

Would it be correct if the sentence were phrased this way :

First discovered more than 30 years ago, Lina's sunbird, a four-and-a-half-inch animal that is found in the Philippines and that resembles a hummingbird, has shimmering metallic colors on its head...

In this case, the 2 'that' clauses are a part of a larger modifier - each clause having its own subject (that) and verb ( found and resembles).
The main subject Lina's sunbird has its verb - 'has shimmering'.
IMO the noun phrase modifier ' four-and-a-half-inch animal' would not need a verb or would it ?

Thanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ankitprad wrote:
Hi guys,

Would it be correct if the sentence were phrased this way :

First discovered more than 30 years ago, Lina's sunbird, a four-and-a-half-inch animal that is found in the Philippines and that resembles a hummingbird, has shimmering metallic colors on its head...

In this case, the 2 'that' clauses are a part of a larger modifier - each clause having its own subject (that) and verb ( found and resembles).
The main subject Lina's sunbird has its verb - 'has shimmering'.
IMO the noun phrase modifier ' four-and-a-half-inch animal' would not need a verb or would it ?

Thanks
Hi ankitprad,

Just a quick note: found is not a verb here (is found is the verb). Has shimmering is not the main verb (has alone is the verb and shimmering is an adjective). The rest seems to be fine. :)

The appositive a four-and-a-half-inch animal that... should not include a verb.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 261
Send PM
Hello experts , regarding answer choices A and B , the way I conducted the parallelism test was the following Lina's sunbird(found in the philippines and that resembles) so , Lina's sunbird found in the philippines and Lina's sunbird that resembles a hummingbird..., I can't understand why we don't have a parallelism , don't both parts make sense? (I applied the same approach on answer choice B) Is it because we have "found" instead of "that is found"? could somebody shed some light on my confusion ? (is there something wrong on the parallelism test that I have conducted? )
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [3]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
UNSTOPPABLE12 wrote:
Hello experts , regarding answer choices A and B , the way I conducted the parallelism test was the following Lina's sunbird(found in the philippines and that resembles) so , Lina's sunbird found in the philippines and Lina's sunbird that resembles a hummingbird..., I can't understand why we don't have a parallelism , don't both parts make sense? (I applied the same approach on answer choice B) Is it because we have "found" instead of "that is found"? could somebody shed some light on my confusion ? (is there something wrong on the parallelism test that I have conducted? )

Hi UNSTOPPABLE12,

Ignore Lina's sunbird. Focus only on "a four-and-a-half-inch animal found in the Philippines and resembling a hummingbird" (the portion between the two commas).

We shouldn't look at the X and Y in X and Y separately. If the X is in the non-underlined portion, we must make the Y as similar as possible, and if the Y is in the non-underlined portion of the sentence, we must try to make the X as similar to Y as possible. In this case, of course, both are in the underlined portion, but our task remains the same: to ensure that X and Y are similar to each other.

... found in the Philippines and resembling...found and resembling are both participles (describing animal)
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
UNSTOPPABLE12 wrote:
sunbird(found in the philippines and that resembles)

Yes you are right that these indeed are the parallel elements here.

found in the philippines is a participial phrase, while that resembles... is a relative clause.

In general, a phrase is not considered grammatically similar to a clause. As Ajitesh has pointed out, the intent should be to make the parallel elements as closely grammatically similar, as possible.
CrackVerbal Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
First discovered more than 30 years ago, Lina's sunbird, a four-and-a-half-inch animal found in the Philippines and that resembles a hummingbird, has shimmering metallic colors on its head; a brilliant orange patch, bordered with red tufts, in the center of its breast; and a red eye.

(A) found in the Philippines and that resembles "found" and "that resembles" are not parallel. Eliminate.

(B) found in the Philippines and that, resembling "found" and "that resembling" are not parallel. Eliminate.

(C) found in the Philippines and resembling Correct answer. Here, "found" and "resembling" play the role of adjectives and are hence parallel.

(D) that is found in the Philippines and it resembles "that is found" is not parallel to "it resembles". Also, "a four-and-a-half-inch animal...it resembles" does not make sense. Eliminate.

(E) that is found in the Philippines, resembling While there is no obvious grammatical error, "resembling a hummingbird" should modify Lina's sunbird. Here, it is awkwardly placed after another modifier. This option may be considered but in the presence of the much cleaner option (C), we should eliminate this.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
GMATNinja
I understand //ism but out of curiosity - why in some cases is animal followed by "that" whereas in others we don't use "that". As in what is the true purpose of that?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
sheldongeorge wrote:
GMATNinja
I understand //ism but out of curiosity - why in some cases is animal followed by "that" whereas in others we don't use "that". As in what is the true purpose of that?

"That" can do a couple of different things in a sentence -- check out this article or this video for lots of fun with the "that."

In this context, we have a subject ("Lina's sunbird") and then a bunch of stuff describing -- or modifying -- this subject.

In (A), we have, "Lina's sunbird, a four-and-a-half-inch animal [...] that resembles a hummingbird..." So, the word "that" is just introducing a modifier to give us more information about the "animal."

Similarly, in (D) and (E), we have "Lina's sunbird, a four-and-a-half-inch animal that is found in the Philippines..." Again, "that" is just introducing a modifier to give us more info about the noun that comes right before the word "that."

The problem with all of these options is that only one of the parallel pieces has a "that" modifier. (C) fixes these issues by consistently using adjectives to start both of the parallel pieces.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [1]
Given Kudos: 254
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
Schools: HEC'22 (J)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
GMATNinja wrote:
SudhanshuSingh, check out the explanation here for some insights on answer choice (E). In this particular sentence, we certainly could put two modifiers next to each other, but if those modifiers are parallel to each other -- in other words, if they logically modify the same thing -- then they should ideally be separated with an "and", as they are in answer choice (C).

I hope this helps!

Hi GMATNinja VeritasKarishma @EduactionAisle

I have a question on differences between C and E

Quote:
C) found in the Philippines and resembling
E) that is found in the Philippines, resembling

The difference between these two is how the modifiers are attached in the sentence. C attaches those using "and", so isn't C implying that found and resembling are different things. Or maybe to put it in better way, that both found and resembling have equal weightage. While in option E, "resembling hummingbird" is just giving us additional information about sunbird?

How do we decide which one is better between these two options.

Appreciate your time and response on this one.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
RohitSaluja wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:

I hope this helps!

Quote:

The difference between these two is how the modifiers are attached in the sentence. C attaches those using "and", so isn't C implying that found and resembling are different things. Or maybe to put it in better way, that both found and resembling have equal weightage. While in option E, "resembling hummingbird" is just giving us additional information about sunbird?

"found in the P" and "resembling a Hummingbird" are two different characteristics of "a four-and-a-half-inch animal" (which renames "Lina's sunbird").
They need to be parallel and given equal weightage.

We want to say this:
Lina's sunbird is found in the P.
and
Lina's sunbird resembles a Hummingbird.

"resembling..." is not modifying the previous clause "that is found in the P".
So it makes sense to go with (C).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
Schools: HEC'22 (J)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
RohitSaluja wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:

I hope this helps!

Quote:

Hi @VeritasKarishma, thanks for your response

Quote:
"found in the P" and "resembling a Hummingbird" are two different characteristics of "a four-and-a-half-inch animal" (which renames "Lina's sunbird").

How do we determine whether they need to be given equal weightage or not?

They need to be parallel and given equal weightage.

We want to say this:
Lina's sunbird is found in the P.
and
Lina's sunbird resembles a Hummingbird.

"resembling..." is not modifying the previous clause "that is found in the P".
So it makes sense to go with (C).
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts