Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases https://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 24 May 2017, 04:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Question Regarding Undergraduate Courseload

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Question Regarding Undergraduate Courseload [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2017, 10:43
Hi,

I have a question:

1) How would admissions committees at MBA schools view an undergraduate semester where I took less than a part time course load?

There was one semester during my undergraduate studies where I took only one three-credit class, considered less than part time, due to mental-health related reasons. I bounced back quickly that same semester and was able to land and take on 2 internships. Does this make me a weak applicant?

If asked about it, could I spin the situation and say that I took a lighter course load in order to take on 2 internships that gave me real world experience?

What's your take?

Thank You!
Expert Post
Admissionado
S
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 877 [0], given: 48

Re: Question Regarding Undergraduate Courseload [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2017, 02:12
TomBon wrote:
Hi,

I have a question:

1) How would admissions committees at MBA schools view an undergraduate semester where I took less than a part time course load?

There was one semester during my undergraduate studies where I took only one three-credit class, considered less than part time, due to mental-health related reasons. I bounced back quickly that same semester and was able to land and take on 2 internships. Does this make me a weak applicant?

If asked about it, could I spin the situation and say that I took a lighter course load in order to take on 2 internships that gave me real world experience?

What's your take?

Thank You!

Hey there,
I wouldn't worry about it. It's not even something that warrants an explanation in the essays. Usually the AdComs won't dig into such a close analysis of your courseload as a significant factor.

Best,
Jon

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | School Guides | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Expert Post
Vantage Point Admissions Consultant
B
Schools: CBS '13 (A)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2017, 09:40
Hi there,

I agree with Jon above! This is not a significant factor in your undergraduate track record. Just focus on getting high grades in the classes you do take and graduating with a strong GPA. That will be much more important in an MBA application. Best of luck to you!

Kindly,
Melody

Vantage Point MBA Admissions Consulting
http://www.vantagepointadmissions.com
MBA Admissions Consulting: Reimagined
Contact us for a Free Consultation!

Expert Post
Stratus Admissions Consultant
G
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 20

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2017, 09:48
TomBon wrote:
Hi,

I have a question: Hi @TomBon- I agree - I just would not worry about it. If asked, explain something along the lines of what you did here. But it is highly doubtful that someone is going to probe on that in the interview. Usually people are just seeing your resume for the interview. And I don't see the need to write an optional essay on that.

What's your take?

Thank You!

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
B
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2017, 20:56
This does not feel like a major factor, I think they will notice it and may have questions. So I would not dismiss this out of hand, but schools to review your transcripts so use your judgement if you think this will look odd on your transcript

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Queens MBA Thread Master
B
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42
WE: Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2017, 22:18
I wouldn't bring it up unless they explicitly ask. I didn't take a full course load my last few semesters, and took summer classes to make up for it. I also had a part time job throughout the school year and volunteered on campus. Everyone's different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Re: Question Regarding Undergraduate Courseload   [#permalink] 02 Feb 2017, 22:18