GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Apr 2019, 01:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

quot; The rapid development of India in the twenty-first

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
quot; The rapid development of India in the twenty-first  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2012, 23:53
" The rapid development of India in the twenty-first century is like England in the eighteenth century."

I understand that there is an illogical comparison . India's development is not like England. However the correct solution includes "that of England" to imply England's development i.e " The rapid development of India in the twenty-first century is like that of England in the eighteenth century."

Doubt: This, that these and those cannot replace nouns, in this case " development "

can someone please clarify..
Retired Moderator
V
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Demonstrative Pronouns  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2012, 07:02
That has several uses, such as a subordinate conjunction, when it connects a main clause with a sub-clause or as simple pronoun to replace another existing noun {as in this case) or as an adjective when you say -that pen- belongs to me. It is also a restrictive pronoun when it refers to a particular thing in a subordinate clause- (the film that I saw was horrible)

But the use of ‘that’ as demonstrative pronoun nakedly without an accompanying noun is not an acceptable practice in formal writing. This is mostly resorted to in spoken communication, when you have somebody listening to you and you can point out at something physically with your fingers.

Plese visit the link below and you will get to know it better
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/that
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2012, 01:46
I also figured out that " That " and " Those " can be used to indicate copies of the antecedent. in other words restricting the meaning.

Thanks.
VP
VP
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2012, 05:47
rahulb2011 wrote:
I also figured out that " That " and " Those " can be used to indicate copies of the antecedent. in other words restricting the meaning.

Thanks.

And "those" cannot be used if the new copy is plural while the original is singular.

I can say

My product is better than that of my competitor.

or

My products are better than those of my competitors.

But I cannot say

My product is better than those of my competitors

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
Re: quot; The rapid development of India in the twenty-first  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 07:50
rahulb2011 wrote:
" The rapid development of India in the twenty-first century is like England in the eighteenth century."

I understand that there is an illogical comparison . India's development is not like England. However the correct solution includes "that of England" to imply England's development i.e " The rapid development of India in the twenty-first century is like that of England in the eighteenth century."

Doubt: This, that these and those cannot replace nouns, in this case " development "

Would it be correct if we wrote : The rapid development of India in the twenty-first century is like England's in the eighteenth century.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V45
GRE 1: Q168 V170
GPA: 3.59
Re: quot; The rapid development of India in the twenty-first  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 19:18
kunal1608 wrote:
rahulb2011 wrote:

Would it be correct if we wrote : The rapid development of India in the twenty-first century is like England's in the eighteenth century.

The major issue I see is that it is stylistically a poor choice as it doesn't follow the same structure and introduces a little bit of ambiguity as a result (i.e. the reader has to think a bit, "England's.... what? Oh, England's development"). Consider the reverse case, "India's rapid development in the twenty-first century is like that of England in the eighteenth century." It is similarly awkward to what you wrote. Either "India's rapid development in the twenty-first century is like England's in the eighteenth century" or "The rapid development of India in the twenty-first century is like that of England in the eighteenth century." would be a better way to phrase that sentence.

Colloquially speaking though? Not a big deal. Only on the GMAT haha
GMAT Club Bot
Re: quot; The rapid development of India in the twenty-first   [#permalink] 28 Jul 2017, 19:18

quot; The rapid development of India in the twenty-first

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap