GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Aug 2018, 21:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

RAGCT 2015 Day 10: Glacier and ice patch archaeologists

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

MBA Section Director
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
RAGCT 2015 Day 10: Glacier and ice patch archaeologists  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2015, 12:13
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

38% (01:56) correct 62% (01:38) wrong based on 1172 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Glacier and ice patch archaeologists face extreme challenges to find, document, and conserve artifacts when melting ice fails to keep them undetected, shielding them from decay due to changing climatic conditions, and safe from misappropriation.

A. shielding them from decay due to changing climatic conditions, and safe

B. shielding them from decay because of changing climatic conditions, and saving them

C. shielded from decay due to changing climatic conditions, and safe

D. shielded from decay due to changing climatic conditions, and saving them

E. shielded from decay because of changing climatic conditions, and safe

Day 10 Question of the Verbal Contest: Race Against the GMAT Club Timer
Please make sure to post a brief reply without revealing your solution to enter the contest!

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.2
WE: Sales (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Premium Member
Re: RAGCT 2015 Day 10: Glacier and ice patch archaeologists  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2015, 19:21
Shielding, looks like modify the previous clause.
But it is not a cause and effect, it looks wrong modifying entire thing, .
shileding must refer to melting ice. so option A and B wrong.
so shielded is correct in this usage.
here parallesim shielded from and safe from is correct.
so D wrong.
In between C and E , due to vs because of.
Because of prefered more than due to.
Because of must follow noun or noun phrase. in Option E is correct
But if we look meaning wise, due to used for caused by it means, shileded from caused by climatic changing condition.
Even though Option E looks correct grammatically, Option C wins by meaning.

So option C is correct.
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
WE: Project Management (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2015, 15:02
This one is tough one. This is a real good question. This question depends mainly on meaning of the sentence. This particular type of questions need underdstanding of fraing sentence with two different times in discussion.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 4
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2015, 16:53
The meaning of this sentence must be correct in this case.

Please kudos if you found this post helpful. I am trying to unlock the tests :)

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2015, 19:28
Nice question !!
Concepts tested : Noun modifier, ing modifiers & meaning.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2015, 19:48
Is there any ambiguity with the un-underlined part?

Glacier and ice patch archaeologists face extreme challenges to find, document, and conserve artifacts when melting ice fails to keep them undetected

"them" could refer to archaeologists or artifacts, no?
Current Student
Concentration: Operations, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2015, 22:21
souvik101990 wrote:

Glacier and ice patch archaeologists face extreme challenges to find, document, and conserve artifacts when melting ice fails to keep them undetected, shielding them from decay due to changing climatic conditions, and safe from misappropriation.

B. shielding them from decay because of changing climatic conditions, and saving them

Please make sure to post a brief reply without revealing your solution to enter the contest!

thanks to egmat for yet another tough question, hope i am right. Meaning, parallelism and modifiers.. all tested in 1 question.

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2015, 23:11
IMO, parallelism, idiom usage and pronoun ambiguity are the main issues here. The underlined portion with the parallelism marker ‘and” lacks symmetry with a participle phrase on the left and an adjectival phrase on the right. There should be another patricipial phrase on the right side too. Any choice containing ““and safe” is incorrect. Dump A, C and E. In addition in A, the pronoun ‘them” is ambiguous without required clarity whether it refers to archeologists or the artifacts.

Between B and D, the correct idiom to use will be ‘due to” since the decay is caused by climatic changes and B can be dropped. Further, B uses the dubious pronoun “them”.

One might now construe the correct choice.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2015, 00:31
daagh wrote:
IMO, parallelism, idiom usage and pronoun ambiguity are the main issues here. The underlined portion with the parallelism marker ‘and” lacks symmetry with a participle phrase on the left and an adjectival phrase on the right. There should be another patricipial phrase on the right side too. Any choice containing ““and safe” is incorrect. Dump A, C and E. In addition in A, the pronoun ‘them” is ambiguous without required clarity whether it refers to archeologists or the artifacts.

Between B and D, the correct idiom to use will be ‘due to” since the decay is caused by climatic changes and B can be dropped. Further, B uses the dubious pronoun “them”.

Hi,
Although you have been associated with Kaplan and been in this field for some time, and so you should be on the correct lines, i have few observations..
1)Any choice containing ““and safe” is incorrect.... agreed..
2) the pronoun ‘them” is ambiguous without required clarity whether it refers to archeologists or the artifacts. ... agreed 'them ' is ambiguous but them is already used in non underlined portion and 'them' is referring to the same thing on every occasion as the structure of sentence states ... so B cannot be eliminated on this ground..
3) the correct idiom to use will be ‘due to” since the decay is caused by climatic changes and B can be dropped. As per various other institutes and few examples in OG, 'due to' should be preceded by 'to be' verb. so here because of should be correct

shielding ... and saving.. are basically effects of the melting ice fails to keep them undetected

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2015, 00:55
[quote="souvik101990"]Image

A. shielding them from decay due to changing climatic conditions, and safe : Incorrect - Not parallel

B. shielding them from decay because of changing climatic conditions, and saving them Incorrect ( The subject of the IC should be also the doer of the ing part. Do the archaeologist shield from decay ? No, the ice does. )

C. shielded from decay due to changing climatic conditions, and safe : Incorrect - Not parallel

D. shielded from decay due to changing climatic conditions, and saving them : Right answer , both modifies the pronoun them... and them has only one antecedent, which is artifacts

E. shielded from decay because of changing climatic conditions, and safe : Not parallel.
Current Student
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2015, 01:05
daagh wrote:

Hi daagh, i think , logically them has only 1 antecedent imo, which is artifacts ,logically . it doesn't make sense 'them' referring to archaeologists. Even D has pronoun them in the choice. pls clarify

Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2015, 01:49
chetan
Hi
Thank you for your instant response. On the points, which seem to have some disagreement-

1, Admittedly, the pronoun ‘them’ is vulnerable to ambiguity in the underlined portion. Well, that should be sufficient cause to dump it, even though in an another place, the same pronoun may mean definitely the artifacts. The idea on the D-day is to quickly reach the correct choice, rather than getting stuck unduly on some factor; but more importantly, the ambiguity was only an additional point.

Coming to the use of idiom, it is my perception that ‘due to’ is used to modify a noun, ‘the decay’ as in this case and it rightly replaces the idiom “caused by”

IMO, ‘because of’ is used when a verb precedes it and therefore, the idiom modifies the verb. In the context, there is only a decay that is due to or caused by climatic conditions; Let me keep my fingers crossed until the OA is out; In any case, since you seem to have different ideas, may I have privilege of asking you what your call is

Narendran +9198845 44509

Retired Moderator
S
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2015, 01:59
There is a 3-2 split among answer choices between shielding and shielded.
Shielding is done by and refers to archaeologists correctly. Eliminate options C,D and E since shielded refers incorrectly as Arch's are shielded and by whom is dubious.
Arch's do two things shielding and saving the artifacts. So these should be parallel. Due to incorrectly refers shielding action whereas it can refer to only noun. So usage of because of is correct here.
Also safe from misappropriation wrongly indicates that arch's are safe.

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2015, 02:08
daagh wrote:
chetan
Hi
Thank you for your instant response. On the points, which seem to have some disagreement-

1, Admittedly, the pronoun ‘them’ is vulnerable to ambiguity in the underlined portion. Well, that should be sufficient cause to dump it, even though in an another place, the same pronoun may mean definitely the artifacts. The idea on the D-day is to quickly reach the correct choice, rather than getting stuck unduly on some factor; but more importantly, the ambiguity was only an additional point.

Coming to the use of idiom, it is my perception that ‘due to’ is used to modify a noun, ‘the decay’ as in this case and it rightly replaces the idiom “caused by”

IMO, ‘because of’ is used when a verb precedes it and therefore, the idiom modifies the verb. In the context, there is only a decay that is due to or caused by climatic conditions; Let me keep my fingers crossed until the OA is out; In any case, since you seem to have different ideas, may I have privilege of asking you what your call is

Hi daagh,
we both have homed on to two final choices as B and D..
I have gone with B for following reasons..
a) I think 'them is correctly referring back to artifacts as artifacts are the object here and archeologists are the subject here and 'them' should be referring to object, when we have two nouns to refer to and the meaning conveys to that end.
b) shielding ... and saving.. are basically effects of the melting ice fails to keep them undetected, so both shielding and saving should be parallel, which is missing in D..
c) D omits them in one clause but keeps it in the second part, so it is not following parallelism.
d) i believe decay is due to changing climatic conditions would have been correct..

But again as you have said, we all have our own perceptions depending on the experiences with the type of Qs we have had earlier. and with so much of material floating around, difficult to home on to something that has not been clearly spelt out by the official GMAC. lets wait for OA. if otherwise, it will teach a new thing.

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2015, 02:09
12Sums
This discussion is getting more interesting; In D, you do have ‘ them” but it is not vulnerable to ambiguity, as it is pointless to think that it may refer to saving architects from misappropriation. The question of vulnerability is there in B' only in the first underlined pronoun and not in the second. At least that is what my perception is since I believe, the choice can be dumped more importantly for using a wrong idiom ‘because of’. Have I made myself clear?
But still, why don’t you post your choice also to make the topic more revealing

Narendran +9198845 44509

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2015, 02:56
souvik101990 wrote:

A tough one from egmat. B for me. Let's wait for OA
Current Student
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2015, 04:18
daagh wrote:
12Sums
This discussion is getting more interesting; In D, you do have ‘ them” but it is not vulnerable to ambiguity, as it is pointless to think that it may refer to saving architects from misappropriation. The question of vulnerability is there in B' only in the first underlined pronoun and not in the second. At least that is what my perception is since I believe, the choice can be dumped more importantly for using a wrong idiom ‘because of’. Have I made myself clear?
But still, why don’t you post your choice also to make the topic more revealing

hi daagh,

i do agree that due to is appropriate here. so not going with B. i am also going with D. But I didn't understand how you rejected B because of 'them' :(

its intense now. battle between two heavyweights (chetan and daagh) :-D

after reading the question again, cant the parallelism be in this way...

fails to keep them undetected ............ and (fails to keep them) safe .... ?? :shock:

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V42

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2015, 04:34
Chose B :shock: ... Tough question :?

In the pursuit of a better GMAT score. You can help me by giving me kudos if you like my post.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2015, 08:16
Here is my thought. The meaning of this sentence seems to be playing a big role. The author is trying to talk about the artifact here. Shielded does not fit into the sentence here because the climatic changes is not actually preventing shielding, so shielded would mean it was already shielded and not done by the archaeologists. So Shielding / saving fits in well as they are trying to shield and save them. So I am going with
B.

Please kudos if you find this post helpful. I am trying to unlock the tests :)

Intern
Intern
Schools: Olin '18 (S)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2015, 10:18
Hii,
Really admired the question.
My take on this:

I took the structure method to solve this one

Glacier and ice patch archaeologists face extreme challenges to find, document, and conserve artifacts
when melting ice fails to keep them undetected,MODIFIER1,and MODIFIER2

We have to keep modifier1 & modifier2 parallel.

Look at the dependent part in the non-underlined portion: when melting ice fails to keep them undetected. Here them refers to artifacts so in the subsequent modifiers them will unambiguously refer to artifacts only.

Now coming to structure of modifier. Simply we need to ask a question how ice protects artifacts

Ans: by shielding them from blah blah, and by saving them from blah blah

So got it we need a adverbial modifier to show how melting ice does the protection of artifacts

Hope i caught the view of questn framer.
Re: RAGCT 2015 Day 10: Glacier and ice patch archaeologists &nbs [#permalink] 25 Jul 2015, 10:18

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 42 posts ] 

RAGCT 2015 Day 10: Glacier and ice patch archaeologists

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap