It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 11:03

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

RAGCT 2015 Day 18: The playwright Bertolt Brecht staged his plays

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 18059 [1], given: 1991

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
RAGCT 2015 Day 18: The playwright Bertolt Brecht staged his plays [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2015, 09:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

55% (01:46) correct 45% (02:03) wrong based on 317 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The playwright Bertolt Brecht staged his plays using a technique known as Verfremdungseffekt or the ‘alienation effect’ to prevent his audience from becoming too involved with the action taking place on the stage, thereby enabling viewers to reflect intellectually on the themes presented to them. While this technique was probably usable in a pre‐World War II era, as then it was still possible to expect art to present objective perspectives on reality, it is clearly invalid in the twenty‐first century.

Which of the following can most properly be concluded from the statements above?

A. Objective perspectives on reality can be presented by art in the twenty‐first century provided that it uses techniques other than the alienation effect.

B. Most art in the pre‐World War II era was expected to present objective perspectives on reality.

C. The alienation effect is invalid in the twenty‐first century since artists no longer want to distance audiences from their work.

D. Presenting unprejudiced views on reality is instrumental to using the technique of alienation effect.

E. Implementation of the alienation technique led to the loss of objective perspectives in art.

Day 18 Question of the Verbal Contest: Race Against the GMAT Club Timer
Please make sure to post a brief reply without revealing your solution to enter the contest!
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 18059 [1], given: 1991

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [1], given: 0

WE: Project Management (Consulting)
Re: RAGCT 2015 Day 18: The playwright Bertolt Brecht staged his plays [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2015, 10:44
This post received
KUDOS
A real good question, toough one.

I could easily eliminate 3 choices out of five. 2 were close. I sticked to the methodology and finally picked one. I hope it will be correct. Waiting for OA.

Thanks,

Kudos [?]: 18 [1], given: 0

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [2], given: 61

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2015, 11:33
This post received
KUDOS
This is a difficult one. Took 3 minutes to do this. Hope I am correct, not sure though.

The playwright Bertolt Brecht staged his plays using a technique known as Verfremdungseffekt or the ‘alienation effect’ to prevent his audience from becoming too involved with the action taking place on the stage, thereby enabling viewers to reflect intellectually on the themes presented to them. While this technique was probably usable in a pre‐World War II era, as then it was still possible to expect art to present objective perspectives on reality, it is clearly invalid in the twenty‐first century.

Which of the following can most properly be concluded from the statements above?

A. Objective perspectives on reality can be presented by art in the twenty‐first century provided that it uses techniques other than the alienation effect.
- The argument clearly states that 21st century does not expect objective perspectives. So this is ruled out.
B. Most art in the pre‐World War II era was expected to present objective perspectives on reality.
- the argument never says this anywhere
C. The alienation effect is invalid in the twenty‐first century since artists no longer want to distance audiences from their work.
- the argument does not talk about what an artists wants/doesn't want
D. Presenting unprejudiced views on reality is instrumental to using the technique of alienation effect.
- this sounds closest to what the argument is saying. the key is to assume objective perspective is 'unprejudiced' view.
E. Implementation of the alienation technique led to the loss of objective perspectives in art.
- there is no evidence for this anywhere in the argument

Based on this, IMO the answer is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

Please kudos if you find this post helpful. I am trying to unlock the tests :)

Kudos [?]: 33 [2], given: 61

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 57 [1], given: 43

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Schools: ISB '17 (D)
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: RAGCT 2015 Day 18: The playwright Bertolt Brecht staged his plays [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2015, 12:17
This post received
KUDOS
Tough one....Was locked in wording...
Hope selected the correct one.

Beat verbal, Beat GMAT...;)
Trying Hard to do that.....

Kudos if my post helped you

Kudos [?]: 57 [1], given: 43

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 14 [1], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2015, 12:38
This post received
KUDOS
man this one was diabolical. Had to pick an answer but I'm not convinced even a bit that it might be correct.

Kudos [?]: 14 [1], given: 2

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 114 [1], given: 14

GMAT 1: 630 Q39 V38
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V38
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V44

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2015, 16:55
This post received
KUDOS
Difficult question. Tough reading.

While reading I was expecting an answer with something like "in the twenty‐first century, it is not possible to expect art to present objective perspectives on reality". I had to re-read the question and the answers to get to a conclusion.

I think it is D.

Kudos [?]: 114 [1], given: 14

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 14 [2], given: 38

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 2.61

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2015, 02:29
This post received
KUDOS
What can be concluded on the basis of premise? It is that in the Post World War II era - technique known as alienation effect is invalid and that the technique prevents audiences from becoming too involved with the action taking place on the stage, and thus they can take an unprejudiced opinion.

- Nothing can be concluded about other techniques. We are not even talking about them.

- 'Most'? Nowhere it is said that art was trying to do this.

- The argument does not talk about what an artists wants or doesn't want

- Yes. Unprejudiced may be very airtight but this is correct.

- The argument does not talk about this.

D it is.

Kudos [?]: 14 [2], given: 38

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 123 [1], given: 163

Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2015, 06:25
This post received
KUDOS
Quite a difficult one...waiting for the OA..

Kudos if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 123 [1], given: 163

1 KUDOS received
LBS Thread Master
B

Kudos [?]: 18 [1], given: 67

Concentration: Other, General Management
Schools: LBS '19 (WL)
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2015, 06:52
This post received
KUDOS
Now this is a cracking question- gosh,
I could eliminate about 2 or 3 choices but I will wait for the answer.....this has got to be a 99 percentile question

Kudos [?]: 18 [1], given: 67

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
S

Kudos [?]: 905 [1], given: 75

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2015, 11:46
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:

Conclusion: While this technique was probably usable in a pre‐World War II era in order to present objective perspectives on reality, it is clearly invalid in the twenty‐first century.

A is out of scope since we are not bothered about techniques other than the alienation effect.
B is distorted form of argument where it was still possible to expect art to present objective perspectives on reality not that it was expected.
C is the conclusion representing the main point.
Nothing about unprejudiced views is mentioned in the passage. D is out of scope.
E says that Implementation led to loss in the past there fore it is invalid now. This can be true and also act as supporting argument but not as a conclusion.

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Kudos [?]: 905 [1], given: 75

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [1], given: 45

Concentration: Operations, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2015, 17:43
This post received
KUDOS
souvik101990 wrote:

Please make sure to post a brief reply without revealing your solution to enter the contest!

POE is best on this question. One more D here.

Kudos [?]: 36 [1], given: 45

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 14 [1], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2015, 21:29
This post received
KUDOS
Had to go with D. Seemed pretty straightforward.

Kudos [?]: 14 [1], given: 6

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2017, 18:58
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 103

Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2017, 01:07
souvik101990 wrote:

A. Objective perspectives on reality can be presented by art in the twenty‐first century provided that it uses techniques other than the alienation effect. [Not true.]

B. Most arts in the pre‐World War II era was expected to present objective perspectives on reality. [We don't have enough information about what "Most Art" intended to do. This can't be implied using the information presented in the passage. ]

C. The alienation effect is invalid in the twenty‐first century since artists no longer want to distance audiences from their work. [Again we don't have enough information to imply this. We don't know the inclination of 21st-century artists]

D. Presenting unprejudiced views on reality is instrumental to using the technique of alienation effect. [Keep]

E. Implementation of the alienation technique led to the loss of objective perspectives in art. [Not true and neither implied]

POE is an easy alternative here.

Citius, Altius, Fortius

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 103

RAGCT 2015 Day 18: The playwright Bertolt Brecht staged his plays   [#permalink] 15 Oct 2017, 01:07

RAGCT 2015 Day 18: The playwright Bertolt Brecht staged his plays

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap