It is currently 18 Dec 2017, 06:50

Final Week of R1 Decisions:

CHAT Rooms | MIT Sloan | McCombs 

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Recommend a consultant Alice van Harten

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 9 [2], given: 1

GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Recommend a consultant Alice van Harten [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2014, 18:19
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I applied to HBS, Stanford, Wharton, Yale, MIT, Columbia. Except for Stanford who waitlisted me, I was invited to interview for all other schools. I already received offer from Yale and HBS.

Here I simply want to share how important it is to work with a consultant who truly believes in you and who wants to see you succeed and how helpful my consultant is to me.

My consultant, her name is Alice van Harten. I felt the connection with her the first time I talked to her, but I didn't choose her right away because I wanted to go for a bigger name in terms of admission consultants. However, I did so only to come back to Alice because I couldn't find anyone who I felt truly believed in me and I realized how precious it was and how hard it was to found to have someone who wants to support you wholeheartedly.

If you are still working on that essay or resume, trying to best strategize yourself, I want you to succeed and want to see your effort being used in the right direction and I recommend to have a chat with Alice. It might turn out to be the best move for you.

All the best,

Here is her website: http://menlocoaching.com/

Kudos [?]: 9 [2], given: 1

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
WE: Consulting (Other)
Re: Recommend a consultant Alice van Harten [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2016, 09:30
This is one of the threads I had read and referred to before I decided to speak with Alice and I am grateful that I came across it. For anyone looking for admissions consultants in future I just want to share my experience:

I am a re-applicant who was dinged at most of the top 10 -15 schools I had applied to last season (mind you I applied to a lot of them!). I had worked with one of the top admissions consulting firms (don't want to take names) last year and even though they were marginally okay, they just did not add any substantial value. I was also disappointed with them delegating work to much junior people and them not getting back to me on time so close to the deadline and thus hampering the quality of my essays.

I got in touch with Alice, whom I found through one of the reviews on GMAT Club, and she was someone who was unlike anyone I had spoken to in my 2 years of admissions process experience. I worked with Alice from the very beginning of my process this year and she helped me craft a narrative that I think captured my strengths and my experiences in the best possible way. Even though I come from a really competitive pool she helped me identify stories and experiences from my past that would make me a competitive applicant. Besides being a really good and experienced writer (Alice has a PhD from Cambridge and has worked with Bain), she is she also was one of the best persons to discuss your past experiences with and what you wanted to achieve after an MBA. She helped me turn my experiences into a B school essay format in the best possible way.

I really liked that she was the one I was working with throughout the process and the work wasn't delegated to someone else. Alice is someone who is very focused on the work she is doing (she doesn't relent unless you get the perfect essay!) and doesn't care at all about timekeeping unlike the consultants I have worked with. It is because of her help that I got interviewed at 6 of the 7 schools I had applied to (Kellogg, Haas, Tuck, LBS, Darden, Stern). I don't think I would have been able to do that without her support and guidance. She also helped me a lot in the whole interview process by organizing 3 mock interviews, asking me to send video essay practice prompts over Skype, and identifying areas of weakness. I finally ended up at the school which was one of the top of my list and I am really thrilled to join it next fall.

I wholeheartedly recommend Alice Van Harten (website : http://menlocoaching.com/) to someone who wants to get into a top B school. She is the peer and mentor you are looking for. Go for her and you will thank me later :-)

For people looking at working with consultants in the future do take her 30 minute free consultation. You will get more out of it than you would after paid hours with some other consulting firms. Speak with her, make your mind and you will know you made the best call.

Please PM me if you want to know more about her. I will be happy to talk to you.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 9

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2016, 13:17
By the time I had reached to her – in April – she was already booked! I recommend starting early if you want to get on her radar. She did, however, provide valuable first-glance advice even just from seeing my preliminary materials.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 9

Expert Post
Top Contributor
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 2061 [0], given: 465

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2016, 18:34
Expert's post
Top Contributor
I'll enthusiastically recommend Alice from a completely different point of view. I'm a longtime GMAT and GRE tutor, and quite a few of my students have worked with Alice van Harten and her partner, David White. They're both amazing.

Here's the thing: MBA admissions consultants have an incentive to encourage you to apply to schools even if you don't stand much of a chance. Sure, there are some honest people in this line of work, but I've seen dozens of horror stories from applicants who wrote fat checks to admissions consultants, when they honestly had no chance of getting into their top-choice programs. Too many admissions consultants are happy to cash those checks, unfortunately.

So my favorite thing about Alice and David? They're straight shooters, and they'll be completely honest with you. And they're also just incredibly knowledgable, perceptive people. They know the MBA scene inside-out, upside-down, and backwards. They've both had interesting academic and corporate careers, so they know a thing or two about the career landscape as well. They understand how to craft a pitch-perfect application, and they understand more about writing and interviewing than virtually any MBA consultant I've ever met.

After working as a tutor for 15 years, I've run across more admissions consultants than I can count. Alice and David are among the very best, in addition to being good, likable people. I'm thrilled whenever one of my GMAT or GRE students manages to land on their client list.

Yes, their schedules tend to fill up quickly, so plan ahead if you want to work with the best. And feel free to PM me if you have questions.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 2061 [0], given: 465

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2016, 01:12
first heard about Alice van Harten

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GPA: 3.76
WE: Consulting (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2016, 18:09
I would like to know more on my chances in getting into a top b-school. I have 8 years of experience.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Re: Recommend a consultant Alice van Harten   [#permalink] 25 Nov 2016, 18:09

Recommend a consultant Alice van Harten

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap