GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2019, 15:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Restaurant Chain Manager: Recently, we changed

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge
Restaurant Chain Manager: Recently, we changed  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 05:07
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

49% (01:25) correct 51% (01:38) wrong based on 235 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Restaurant Chain Manager: Recently, we changed the refrigeration system in many of our stores to one that allows us to keep food longer without spoilage. Therefore, moving forward, less food will have to be thrown away without being sold.

Which of the following, if true, would most strongly support the manager’s prediction?

(A) The cost of the refrigerator system will not outweigh the cost of the food spoilage.
(B) The restaurant has not had an increase in sales since the refrigerator system was put in place.
(C) Some of the restaurants in the chain still use the old refrigeration system.
(D) Any food in the old refrigeration system would have been sold eventually as long as it had not spoiled.
(E) The new refrigeration system has no effect on the taste of the food.
Director
Director
G
Re: Restaurant Chain Manager: Recently, we changed  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 05:47
Is E out because it doesnt talk about the conclusion ??

A is out, because it talks about cost.

B weakens the argument.

C doesnt address the conclusion.

D reiterating the conclusion, they are able to store the food for long, allowing them to sell the food.

Posted from my mobile device

Quote which i can relate to.
Many of life's failures happen with people who do not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 05:55
Argument says that as a result of change, less unsold food will be thrown without. So correct option must tell the reason or evidence for the same. As argument doesn't depend on cost, any option based on cost will be incorrect. Same goes with taste of food.

(A) The cost of the refrigerator system will not outweigh the cost of the food spoilage.

WRONG: this tells only about cost while the argument is independent of cost.

(B) The restaurant has not had an increase in sales since the refrigerator system was put in place.

WRONG: increase in sales doesn't imply that there will be less unsold food to keep in store.

(C) Some of the restaurants in the chain still use the old refrigeration system.

WRONG: Irrelevant. What some restaurants do doesn't affect ours

(D) Any food in the old refrigeration system would have been sold eventually as long as it had not spoiled.

CORRECT: food in old store was sold only if it was not spoiled, it won't be sold if it is spoiled and thus will be thrown. But this store will keep it for more time and thus it will be sold before it spoils.

WRONG: argument is independent of Taste of food.

Thus D is the correct answer.

Posted from my mobile device
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2019, 20:30
Conclusion: Therefore, moving forward, less food will have to be thrown away without being sold.

Premise: Recently, we changed the refrigeration system in many of our stores to one that allows us to keep food longer without spoilage.

Assumption: The only reason that the food was not sold was because it had spoiled.

The question stem asks for the answer choice that would most strongly support the argument, so this is a strengthen question. The argument begins by stating that now the restaurants can keep food longer without spoilage. The conclusion that less food will have to be thrown away without being sold introduces the new idea that the food is not sold. When information appears in the conclusion that is not in the premise, the assumption is that the new information is relevant. Since this is a strengthen question, the correct answer will indicate that the only reason that food didn’t sell was that it had to be thrown out because it had spoiled. Evaluate the answer choices, looking for one that reflects this idea.

Choice A: No. The cost is out of scope. The costs to the restaurant chain do not affect whether the food will sell.

Choice B: No. This answer choice weakens the argument. No increase in sales is an indication that there is not more food being sold.

Choice C: No. Some of the restaurants is out of scope. This answer choice is just a restatement of the premise that the restaurant chain has changed the refrigeration system in many of our stores.

Choice D: Correct. If it is true that any food in the old refrigeration system would have been sold eventually as long as it had not spoiled, it stands to reason that more food will be sold now that the food can be kept longer without spoilage.

Choice E: No. The taste of the food is out of scope. The argument is about whether the food has to be thrown away without being sold because it has spoiled, not about how the food tastes.
Director
Director
V

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2019, 10:24
Manang wrote:
Restaurant Chain Manager: Recently, we changed the refrigeration system in many of our stores to one that allows us to keep food longer without spoilage. Therefore, moving forward, less food will have to be thrown away without being sold.

Which of the following, if true, would most strongly support the manager’s prediction?

Disclaimer: I do not like this question so much!

Having said that option D just says that there is sufficient demand for the restaurant food. Hence if the food is not spoilt then the food will be sold! Hence option D is the correct answer.

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2019, 22:16
can someone explain why E cannot be the answer? strengthening questions require additional information to support conclusion. We are talking about new refrigeration system, food spoilage and sale of food. E furthers strengthens that new refg sysm wont effect the taste of food and hence no effect on sales. D talks about old refg sysm..?

KUDOS Please..!!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Restaurant Chain Manager: Recently, we changed   [#permalink] 15 Apr 2019, 22:16

Restaurant Chain Manager: Recently, we changed

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics