GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 17:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

[Debrief] Retaking 760 - How NOT to prepare for the GMAT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.7
WE: Supply Chain Management (Retail)
[Debrief] Retaking 760 - How NOT to prepare for the GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2018, 10:02
Background: I'm Asian-American (native English speaker) and graduated from an Ivy League. I currently have ~3 years work experience in a quant-oriented business role. I'm planning on applying next fall to matriculate the year after.

Here is a timeline of my "studies":

• Spring 2015: Senior year of undergrad. See a Kaplan GMAT book in the university bookstore. Buy it with some intention of taking the GMAT in the next decade. Never open it. (To this day I still haven't touched it!)
  • November 2017: Decide to actually look at materials after finding two used Manhattan GMAT books (RC and SC) at a local used book store. The code in the book wasn't used! Skim through the two books and find the exercises awkward and give up out of frustration. Buy OG 2018 and do a few SC problem sets, which was more palatable.
  • December 2017: Decide to switch to quant, as it is probably my stronger section and I wanted to build some confidence. Do some OG quant questions. Feel intimidated by the test.
  • January 6, 2018: Finally have the guts to take a diagnostic now that I remember what a factorial means. GMAC 1 (old version): 690, Q44, V40, IR8. Very surprised at how high this is, and feel much more confident.
  • January 20, 2018: Take a Manhattan Test - MGMAT 1 (old version): 640, Q38, V38. My ego was checked and realized that there was a decent amount of work ahead. I make a goal of working through all the quant questions available on the online question bank from OG. I start plugging away.
  • February 2018: Fall into a dysfunctional depressive bout after a slow taper off of antidepressants. Immediately get back on antidepressants but they don't cancel out my depression. Difficulty doing simple things like showering or folding the pile of laundry in my bed. The only thing that made me feel something besides debilitating dread was video games. (I got hooked on Overwatch.)
  • March 2018: Depressed. Play Overwatch.
  • April 2018: Depressed. Play Overwatch.
  • May 2018: Feeling slightly better, attempt to do some more quant sets.
  • June 5, 2018: Force myself to take another practice test. MGMAT 2 (new version): 690, Q46, V38. Felt good because my quant score had significantly increased and that was what I had been studying. Continue plugging away at quant (because thinking about verbal was too uncomfortable at the moment).
  • June 18, 2018: Take another practice test with my newfound confidence that my studying was effective: MGMAT 3 (new): 630, Q40, V36. Newfound confidence dissipated.
  • July 15, 2018: MGMAT 4 (new): 700, Q49, V41
  • July 21, 2018: GMAC 1 (new): 740, Q49, V42, IR8. I took this with a grain of salt since I had taken the longer version of this test previously and had seen many of the questions before.
  • July 29, 2018 GMAC 2 (new): 760, Q50, V44, IR8. What the heck! This was definitely a fluke. I had seen some of these questions too, since the question bank was shared with GMAC Test 1.
  • Aug 1, 2018 MGMAT 4 (new): 680, Q46, V37. LOL... wake up early with the ambition of taking an official GMAC practice test before work but the site is down so settle on Manhattan prep tests after 30 minutes of troubleshooting. By then, am running late to a meeting so I rush through the verbal. Definitely paid for that in the score reflected. Mostly brush this one off as a fluke due to frustrations with the official GMAT site and rushing to work.
  • Aug 4, 2018 GMAC 3 (new): 730: Q48, V41, IR8. Felt like this was pretty representative of what I'd be getting on the day of the test.
  • Aug 6, 2018: Realize that my kitten of 1 year 1 month who is struggling with heart disease has not improved even after expensive vet cardiologist visits and large cocktails of medication morning and evening. Vet recommends euthanasia. Cry all day.
  • Aug 7, 2018: Cry all day.
  • Aug 8, 2018: Cry all day. Say goodbye to my kitten. Never have gone through this before and it was one of the most heartbreaking moments of my life.
  • Aug 9, 2018: Cry all day. Hear that I got rejected after interviewing for an internal rotation for a role I really wanted.
  • Aug 10, 2018: Cry a bunch. Roommate develops a fever due to stress/sadness from losing our cat. I am worried about getting sick.
  • Aug 11, 2018: Test day: Going into the test, I'm thinking I am likely to score ~720 if all things go well. My plan is to use this as a practice test to learn about real testing conditions, and take a second, "REAL," test in a month or so. I end up with a 760, Q49, V44, IR8! Delighted and surprised given that I didn't study much in the last month leading up to the test and that I had gone through emotionally draining events. Given that I didn't study for verbal aside from reviewing the questions I got wrong, and I knew I had a number of weak subjects in quant that I never addressed (combinatorics, work/rate, probability), I (and my supporters!) am curious to what my true potential could be if I study more diligently and also don't have such crazy events happen. Overall, my depression is much better after having time to stabilize back on my meds. I plan on scheduling a test three weeks out from today to see what can happen, and calling it done from there.

One thought for those preparing:

• MGMAT practice tests did NOT set me up for success. Because the MGMAT quant questions are magnitudes harder, I developed a guessing and pacing strategy that made me finish with over 10 minutes left on an official GMAT practice test. If you can afford it, I would recommend ONLY using the official GMAT practice tests (2 free ones + 4 additional purchasable ones). I saw that someone recommended doing the MGMAT quant sections untimed, and wish I had done so.

Feel free to ask me any questions in the comments or by PM. Happy to help!

(Originally posted on reddit here)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount CodesMagoosh Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: [Debrief] Retaking 760 - How NOT to prepare for the GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2018, 10:12
Thank you for your insights mate. Especially the timelog gave a good indication with regards to the development.

All the best,
Chris

A couple of things that helped me in verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strategies-268700.html#p2082192

Gmat Prep CAT #1: V42, Q34, 630
Gmat Prep CAT #2: V46, Q35, 660
Gmat Prep CAT #3: V41, Q42, 680

On the mission to improve my quant score, all help is appreciated! :)

Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2018, 10:23
Thanks for making the debrief much more personable and not being afraid of looking vulnerable. These are signs of maturity despite the references to overwatch ;-)

Your biggest enemy is time and stretching your prep too much. I am frankly not sure that you need more than 760. You are already past the average score for any school out there. You have 99th percentile so it would be safe to stop. Usually you want to focus on what will give your application the most improvement in app he time you have left. If you are shooting for R1, there is not much time left (usually you want to do not more than 2 schools per month of time available for submitting apps)

However if you are still looking to improve, working on quant will be the best ROI. But as said already, your score at 99th percentile is already very competitive.

Congrats!

Posted from my mobile device

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.7
WE: Supply Chain Management (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2018, 10:28
bb wrote:
Thanks for making the debrief much more personable and not being afraid of looking vulnerable. These are signs of maturity despite the references to overwatch ;-)

Your biggest enemy is time and stretching your prep too much. I am frankly not sure that you need more than 760. You are already past the average score for any school out there. You have 99th percentile so it would be safe to stop. Usually you want to focus on what will give your application the most improvement in app he time you have left. If you are shooting for R1, there is not much time left (usually you want to do not more than 2 schools per month of time available for submitting apps)

However if you are still looking to improve, working on quant will be the best ROI. But as said already, your score at 99th percentile is already very competitive.

Congrats!

Posted from my mobile device

Hey bb,

I'm the one who posted this: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-f ... s#p2110779

I am not applying until next year and want to see if I can get a higher score to ensure I can get some merit scholarship funding to help with tuition. Thanks for the compliments! Even if you threw shade at Overwatch... Heh.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2018, 15:50
Congratulations! This is an awesome score. I have heard similar things about @MGMAT's CATs so decided I won't use them. I plan to buy more official CATs after going through the free ones.

Thanks for the debrief and all the best with your applications.

Cheers!
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
WE: Engineering (Other)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2018, 18:49
As BB says there is more to life than GMAT and your debrief says it all. It feels your struggle (rather everyone) was against your own self rather some exterior stuff. True grit and determination.
I hope you do well in all your endeavors and thanks for the debrief.

If you feel the post helped you then do send me the kudos (damn theya re more valuable than $)

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q38 V40
CAT Tests
[Debrief] Retaking 760 - How NOT to prepare for the GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 01:56
Thanks for your sharing. It's been two years for me that I am on my gmat path and in a certain way was able to understand your journey.
For my part, I am not done with it yet, but I am doing my best to join the 700 club.

Best of luck and sorry for your kitten.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2018, 16:08
I know that I'm late to the party on this thread, but... holy crap, ducksuit, this is one of my all-time favorite debriefs. Huge props for being so open about what the process was REALLY like for you. For every person with the guts and honesty to post something like this, there are hundreds -- or maybe thousands? -- of other GMAT Club visitors who go through hell and back, and (understandably!) never tell us about it on the forums.

Congratulations on the incredible score, and since I'm too video-game-illiterate to throw shade on Overwatch, you can just consider me a huge fan. ;) Let us know what happens with your applications next year!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2018, 16:50
ducksuit

Congrats on the stellar score. I am impressed by how you overcome difficult times to achieve the target score - A steady blade balances the soul

All the very best for your applications.

Please give kudos if it helps

Resources
Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT ! ! ! | SC Blogs by Magoosh | How to improve your verbal score | Things i wish i could've done earlier | Ultimate Q51 Guide

Target Test Prep Representative
G
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2018, 19:53
Wow, what an amazing story. Given all that was happening with you at the time of the GMAT, a 760 was quite the feat! Good luck with things moving forward and congrats on an awesome GMAT score.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Re: [Debrief] Retaking 760 - How NOT to prepare for the GMAT &nbs [#permalink] 17 Aug 2018, 19:53

[Debrief] Retaking 760 - How NOT to prepare for the GMAT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, bb, EMPOWERgmatRichC

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR SEPTEMBER
e-GMAT: Free 30 day Access! 25+ Video Lessons | 400+ Practice Questions | 7 Free Webinars
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap