GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Nov 2018, 03:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

06:00 PM EST

07:00 PM EST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

Rising inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by increases in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Premium Member
Re: Rising inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by increases in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2016, 03:45
In stripped down form

Rising inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by increases in sales, can lead to production cutbacks that would hamper economic growth.
Inventories lead to cutbacks that would hamper growth.
Inventories - plural, lead - plural. Rising is acting as an adjective to inventories

A)When unaccompanied correspondingly by increases in sales, can lead
- When used for time, if is preferable. Correspondingly is an adjective, should modify a noun
B)When not accompanied by corresponding increases in sales, possibly leads
- When used for time, if is preferable. leads is singular, inventories is plural
C)When they were unaccompanied by corresponding sales increases, can lead
- When used for time, if is preferable. Were is past tense, other verbs in sentence are in possibility/future. Sequence of actions does not mandate a past tense verb. Increase in sales is preferred
D)If not accompanied by correspondingly increased sales, possibly leads
- Leads is singular, inventories is plural
E) If not accompanied by corresponding increases in sales, can lead
- correct

Thanks

Once you know the answer, it is easy to justify.

Manager
Manager
B
Re: Rising inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by increases in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2016, 01:05
Rising inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by increases in sales, can lead to production cutbacks that would hamper economic growth.

A)When unaccompanied correspondingly by increases in sales, can lead
B)When not accompanied by corresponding increases in sales, possibly leads
C)When they were unaccompanied by corresponding sales increases, can lead
D)If not accompanied by correspondingly increased sales, possibly leads
E) If not accompanied by corresponding increases in sales, can lead

lat part split is 'lead' and 'leads'

Subject is 'Rising inventories', so 'leads' is out.
B and D are out
In C, Rising inventories, when they (they is used unnecessarily)...out

In A, Rising inventories, when..........., can lead 'Vs' In E, Rising inventories, if..........., can lead

Lets look at some of the constructions used to to describe a condition and an outcome

1. If you work hard, you get a good score (fact)
2. If you work hard, you will get a good score.(prediction)
3. If you work hard, you may/can get a good score(probability/possibility)

In these construction, 'if' can be replaced by 'when' only when outcome is a fact

Let look at outcome in these options

In the options, outcome has can, it shows a possibility
therefore in this case we cannot have when in the condition
Therefore A is wrong
E is correct

Founder, GMAT Mantra
One to One Live Online GMAT Coaching
http://www.gmatmantra.com

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2017, 06:20
Top Contributor
There are various kinds of nouns that act as subjects. To start with, you may have a single- word proper noun or a pronoun that may start a sentence, acting as the subject.
Ex: Tom, Dick or Harry, Jack and Jill, New York, the United States, he, she, it, they, I, we, and so on.

Then, there may be simple noun phrases that are modified by an adjective before them: Ex; Rising inventories, increased pressure, Oil price, share market, tall structures, etc, etc. Some of the adjectives are nouns by themselves though acting as adjectives. In this construction, the verb is always decided by the attributes of the true noun that follows the adjective.

There is one more kind of noun known as the substantive noun; this involves a phrase with a long series of words that may comprise a participle, a gerund, an infinitive, a relative subordinate clause or some such similar thing. For sure, these substantive noun phrases that act as singular subjects will always be followed by a singular verb.
Ex:
Consuming one full pint of alcohol a day is sure to land one in the hospital bed one day.
Swimming against the tide of a river gives enormous strength to body muscles.
Being branded as a national champion is a dream of many.
To be branded as a national champion is a dream of many.
That they have been selected to play for their country in the Championship Trophy is a great honor to them
That they won the one- day World Cup match was the beginning of Sri Lanka's rise to stardom in Cricket.

You might see many of these substantive nouns may comprise plural words, but still, the noun is usually only singular

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2018, 16:49
Hi Experts, OG says that the use of 'correspondingly' in the original sentence is incorrect and ambiguous. My understanding is that 'correspondingly'(adverb) is modifying the adjective 'unaccompanied'. Adverb can modify adjective, but here the meaning that comes out because of that modification is absurd. Is my reasoning correct? In some posts, unaccompanied is called a "verb". I don't think that is correct.

Also, what is the role of "if" here? Is it an adverb or a conjunction? I've seen that usually if is followed by a clause, but here it's followed by a past participle.

Please advise. Thanks!

Please take a moment to hit Kudos if my post helps.

Retired Moderator
S
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2018, 08:23
sdlife wrote:
Hi Experts, OG says that the use of 'correspondingly' in the original sentence is incorrect and ambiguous. My understanding is that 'correspondingly'(adverb) is modifying the adjective 'unaccompanied'. Adverb can modify adjective, but here the meaning that comes out because of that modification is absurd. Is my reasoning correct? In some posts, unaccompanied is called a "verb". I don't think that is correct.

Also, what is the role of "if" here? Is it an adverb or a conjunction? I've seen that usually if is followed by a clause, but here it's followed by a past participle.

Please advise. Thanks!

1. Yes, your reasoning is correct. For proper meaning, the word "corresponding" has to refer to "increase".
2. Yes, you are right. "Unaccompanied" is a past participle (used as an adjective) referring to "inventories".
3. Conjunctions such as "if", although" etc. are ideally used to join a dependent clause to an indepedent clause, but I remember seeing examples in GMAT, in which they are used to join a phrase (in this case past participle modifier) to the main clause.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2018, 12:49
option E- "IF NOT ACCOMPANIED"

can anyone explain what kind of structure is that; it should supposed to be "if did not accompany".
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2018, 06:10
*Rising inventories - Subject at start require verb for sentence and subject being plural verb would be for plural as well

Posssibly leads --Wrong usage can lead-> right usage

*Also Not accompanied is better usage than unaccompanied

E is best answer

Give kudos if you like the post

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2018, 06:13
I've saw plenty of sentence that "when" and "while' serve as a modifier for the action in previous sentence.
eg: When I watched TV, my dad was cooking for my family.

Another question about WHAT BEHIND WHEN
a clause or a v-ed(modifier)
Can I assume that a clause(which has subject, verb, object) will always modify the previous sentence and when +v-ed(see above, like A) will modify a date??
Thanks a lot!! :)
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 580 Q47 V23
GPA: 4
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2018, 06:52

(A) when unaccompanied correspondingly by increases in sales, can lead -- placement of "by" changes the meaning. ELIMINATED

(B) when not accompanied by corresponding increases in sales, possibly leads -- Rising inventories is plural, so we need "lead" not leads. ELIMINATED

(C) when they were unaccompanied by corresponding sales increases, can lead -- "they" is redundant here. Also "were" indicates that inventories would hamper economic growth in the past but not in the present. Changes meaning. ELIMINATED

(D) if not accompanied by correspondingly increased sales, possibly leads -- same error as in B. ELIMINATED

(E) if not accompanied by corresponding increases in sales, can lead -- CORRECT

Chaitanya

+1 Kudos

if you like my explanation!!!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Rising inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by increases in &nbs [#permalink] 18 Nov 2018, 06:52

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 29 posts ] 

Rising inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by increases in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap