It is currently 16 Jan 2018, 03:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Rivaling the pyramids of egypt or even the ancient cities

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 06 Oct 2015
Posts: 88

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 49

Rivaling the pyramids of egypt or even the ancient cities [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2016, 07:25
4
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

72% (00:42) correct 28% (01:10) wrong based on 224 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of the Maya as an achievement, the army of terra-cotta warriors created to protect Qin Shi Huang, China’s first emperor, in his afterlife is more than 2,000 years old and took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete.
(A) the army of terra-cotta warriors created to protect Qin Shi Huang, China’s first emperor, in his afterlife is more than 2,000 years old and took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete
(B) Qin Shi Huang, China’s first emperor, was protected in his afterlife by an army of terracotta warriors that was created more than 2,000 years ago by 700,000 artisans who took more than 36 years to complete it
(C) it took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to create an army of terra-cotta warriors more than 2,000 years ago that would protect Qin Shi Huang, China’s first emperor, in his afterlife
(D) more than 2,000 years ago, 700,000 artisans worked more than 36 years to create an army of terra-cotta warriors to protect Qin Shi Huang, China’s first emperor, in his afterlife
(E) more than 36 years were needed to complete the army of terra-cotta warriors that 700,000 artisans created 2,000 years ago to protect Qin Shi Huang, China’s first emperor, in his afterlife
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 49

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 20 Mar 2015
Posts: 70

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 24

Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: Design (Manufacturing)
Re: Rivaling the pyramids of egypt or even the ancient cities [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2016, 10:09
C, only seems to correctly modify Qin Shi Huang


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 24

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 06 Oct 2015
Posts: 88

Kudos [?]: 18 [1], given: 49

Rivaling the pyramids of egypt or even the ancient cities [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2016, 01:00
1
This post received
KUDOS
RK84 wrote:
C, only seems to correctly modify Qin Shi Huang


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Sorry OA is A. I am just confused because of the word terra-cotta army created. What did they created or were they created? Need a good explanation for this

Kudos [?]: 18 [1], given: 49

Retired Moderator
avatar
G
Joined: 26 Nov 2012
Posts: 595

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 45

Premium Member CAT Tests
Rivaling the pyramids of egypt or even the ancient cities [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2016, 05:02
NaeemHasan wrote:
Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of the Maya as an achievement, the army of terra-cotta warriors created to protect Qin Shi Huang, China’s first emperor, in his afterlife is more than 2,000 years old and took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete.
(A) the army of terra-cotta warriors created to protect Qin Shi Huang, China’s first emperor, in his afterlife is more than 2,000 years old and took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete
(B) Qin Shi Huang, China’s first emperor, was protected in his afterlife by an army of terracotta warriors that was created more than 2,000 years ago by 700,000 artisans who took more than 36 years to complete it
(C) it took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to create an army of terra-cotta warriors more than 2,000 years ago that would protect Qin Shi Huang, China’s first emperor, in his afterlife
(D) more than 2,000 years ago, 700,000 artisans worked more than 36 years to create an army of terra-cotta warriors to protect Qin Shi Huang, China’s first emperor, in his afterlife
(E) more than 36 years were needed to complete the army of terra-cotta warriors that 700,000 artisans created 2,000 years ago to protect Qin Shi Huang, China’s first emperor, in his afterlife


Meaning : In order to get the pyramids or ancient cities, the army of TC was created by the emperor.

Remember: When we have ing-verb at the start of the sentence it should correctly modify the subject and that must preceded with comma. ( Ing-verb... , subject ) - This is the correct form.

Rivaling is an ing-verb starting in the sentence and it is correctly modifying the army of terra-costa. Hence A is correct as per meaning wise.

B) Qin Shi was protected...this is passive form and sentence starting with rivaling is active, both must be in same form.
C) ing-verb form is not correctly referring to the subject.
D) ing-verb form is not correctly referring to the subject.
E) ing-verb form is not correctly referring to the subject.

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 45

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Aug 2015
Posts: 49

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 41

Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3
WE: Marketing (Internet and New Media)
Re: Rivaling the pyramids of egypt or even the ancient cities [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2016, 06:14
NaeemHasan wrote:
RK84 wrote:
C, only seems to correctly modify Qin Shi Huang


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Sorry OA is A. I am just confused because of the word terra-cotta army created. What did they created or were they created? Need a good explanation for this


A for me

Firstly, the Pyramids are to be directly compared with the army of Terra-cotta warriors. Only A does this.

Regarding your query, the construction of the sentence i indeed logical. Break up the sentence into something simpler - The ladder to the shaft created after grandpa's fall last year has proven to be a huge hindrance to my work.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 41

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 06 Oct 2015
Posts: 88

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 49

Re: Rivaling the pyramids of egypt or even the ancient cities [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2016, 06:59
vp101 wrote:
NaeemHasan wrote:
RK84 wrote:
C, only seems to correctly modify Qin Shi Huang


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Sorry OA is A. I am just confused because of the word terra-cotta army created. What did they created or were they created? Need a good explanation for this


A for me

Firstly, the Pyramids are to be directly compared with the army of Terra-cotta warriors. Only A does this.

Regarding your query, the construction of the sentence i indeed logical. Break up the sentence into something simpler - The ladder to the shaft created after grandpa's fall last year has proven to be a huge hindrance to my work.


Got the point. Thank you so much.

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 49

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Jan 2017
Posts: 76

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

CAT Tests
Re: Rivaling the pyramids of egypt or even the ancient cities [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2017, 10:43
I am still not sure if I understood. Although I am able to eliminate options B, C, D and E. But honestly, option A is not making sense to me. Could someone please help me interpret option A properly, or maybe re-word it in a way that makes more sense?

1 "Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt " - Who is rivaling the pyramids? Is it the army?

2 "the army of terra-cotta warriors created to protect Qin Shi Huang, " - For the Verb 'Created'... what is the corresponding Subject and Object? Did the army created something? or the army got created by someone? Where exactly the S-V-O combination getting created?

3. "is more than 2,000 years old and took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years " - here, the conjunction 'and' is combining two clauses which have different verb tenses.... is more than (present) tense, and took (past) tense. Although it is possible to combine different verb forms using 'and', but in the current usage is it really making clear sense?

4. "is more than 2,000 years old and took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years " - What is the subject here? What is more than 2000 years old, and what took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years?

5. "more than 36 years to complete" - what exactly got completed here?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Status: IF YOU CAN DREAM IT, YOU CAN DO IT
Joined: 03 Jul 2017
Posts: 186

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 16

Location: India
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Re: Rivaling the pyramids of egypt or even the ancient cities [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2017, 00:30
So in this question the opening modifier Rivaling is a verb-ing modifier and must modify the subject of the sentence. Now Im not really understanding why option B cannot be the answer . why cant it modify Qin Shi Huang?? GMATNinja please help.

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 16

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Status: IF YOU CAN DREAM IT, YOU CAN DO IT
Joined: 03 Jul 2017
Posts: 186

Kudos [?]: 9 [1], given: 16

Location: India
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Re: Rivaling the pyramids of egypt or even the ancient cities [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2017, 00:31
1
This post received
KUDOS
So in this question the opening modifier Rivaling is a verb-ing modifier and must modify the subject of the sentence. Now Im not really understanding why option B cannot be the answer . why cant it modify Qin Shi Huang?? GMATNinja please help.

Kudos [?]: 9 [1], given: 16

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2017
Posts: 3

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: Rivaling the pyramids of egypt or even the ancient cities [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2017, 20:41
Gmat Ninja please explain why not B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 29 Aug 2017
Posts: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Rivaling the pyramids of egypt or even the ancient cities [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2017, 21:13
Its A because rivaling... is a modifier after which a noun(army of terracotta warriors )must appear


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 05 Oct 2016
Posts: 70

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 119

Location: United States (OH)
GPA: 3.58
CAT Tests
Re: Rivaling the pyramids of egypt or even the ancient cities [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2018, 18:46
jasmine9 wrote:
Gmat Ninja please explain why not B


The verb-ing modifier “rivaling” incorrectly modifies “Qin Shi Huang”. This choice changes the meaning by saying that Qin Shi Huang was protected in his afterlife. The original sentence says that the army was created to protect him.
_________________

Kudos APPRECIATED!

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 119

Re: Rivaling the pyramids of egypt or even the ancient cities   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2018, 18:46
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Rivaling the pyramids of egypt or even the ancient cities

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.