GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 26 May 2020, 03:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Ross/Johnson($40K)/UCLA($60K)/USC($$$$)/UNC ($100k)/Deffered/Next Year

new topic post reply Update application status  

Best option amidst COVID-19 pandemic (Risk/ROI preference - 80:20)

• 20% [7]
  • 8% [3]
  • 32% [11]
  • 2% [1]
  • 14% [5]
  • 2% [1]
  • 2% [1]
  • 14% [5]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q45 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
Ross/Johnson($40K)/UCLA($60K)/USC($$$$)/UNC ($100k)/Deffered/Next Year  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 09 Apr 2020, 16:59
Hi Everyone,

Please provide your perspective on which option you would choose amidst the situation right now with the global pandemic. I applied to all the aforementioned schools in R2, except for Johnson (R3). (Only T15 schools I applied to are Ross, Yale and Johnson) . If I choose to apply next year, I assume the competition would be much higher.

Ethnicity: Indian Male
WE: 46 months Big 4 Consulting(Billable Tech) (Non-Billable Strategy)
Career Goals:
1. Generalist consulting (MBB>Accenture,Strategy&,ATK,SKP etc>=Big4)
2. Tech (Blue Chip>Established Startups)
3. GM, Rotational

Savings: $0
Debt: $0
Assets: $0

Risk Appetite: Mid-High (Goal 80% vs 20% Safe ROI) I am targetting earning big in the 10-year time frame though. Short term, not a concern.
Nature: Hustler/Fighter/Hard worker(not that smart?)

Money Goals: Nothing. No fancy house, car, etc. No splurges (Exception: liter engine crotch-rocket(s)). All my earnings will go into ETFs/MutualFunds. The only expenditure will be for whatever my future family demands and philanthropy.

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by GittinGud on 09 Apr 2020, 14:52.
Last edited by GittinGud on 09 Apr 2020, 16:59, edited 3 times in total.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Ross/Johnson($40K)/UCLA($60K)/USC($$$$)/UNC ($100k)/Deffered/Next Year  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2020, 14:57
Congrats on your admits! Just have one quick minute to reply. Will chime in later. Can you please kindly add your schools to your profile? You can do it via decision tracker or go to your profile and choose applicant profile.

Would be much obliged!
BB.

Posted from my mobile device

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
WAMC! - What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
Everything we know about GMAT ONLINE is Here!
Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.9
WE: Investment Banking (Other)
CAT Tests
Re: Ross/Johnson($40K)/UCLA($60K)/USC($$$$)/UNC ($100k)/Deffered/Next Year  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2020, 15:27
GittinGud wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Please provide your perspective on which option you would choose amidst the situation right now with the global pandemic. I applied to all schools in R2, except for Johnson (R3). If I choose to apply next year, I assume the competition would be much higher.

Nationality: Indian
WE: 46 months Big 4 Consulting(Billable Tech) (Non-Billable Strategy)
Career Goals:
1. Generalist consulting (MBB>Accenture,Strategy&,ATK,SKP etc>=Big4)
2. Tech (Blue Chip>Established Startups)
3. GM, Rotational

Savings: $0
Debt: $0
Assets: $0

Risk Appetite: Mid-High (Goal 80% vs 20% Safe ROI) I am targetting earning big in the 10-year time frame though. Short term, not a concern.
Nature: Hustler/Fighter/Hard worker(not that smart?)

Money Goals: Nothing. No fancy house, car, etc. No splurges (Exception: liter engine crotch-rocket(s)). All my earnings will go into ETFs/MutualFunds. The only expenditure will be for whatever my future family demands and philanthropy.

Thanks in advance!

Male or Female? Currently no savings? Willing to take out loans for an M7 in a year? Not that smart, you got a 750....2x! Biggest bang for buck would appear to be Anderson IMO , But those three questions are important
Current Student
B
Schools: Stern '21 (M$)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2020, 15:35
I normally side with taking lower ranked school with scholarship in most cases. However, with your goal, I think you have to take the risk to go to Ross over all the other schools. I just don't think you have much of a shot to MBB (and low chance in other strategy consulting) if you go below T15. Even Johnson has very weak consulting representation, despite still being T15 school. Plus, Ross has excellent consulting programs (like MAP). If you just can't give up the money, take Johnson I guess.

I would tell you to take this year's offer rather than reapplying next year unless you see a big jump in GMAT score (+ >30pts, but you already have 750 so not the case) or a huge promotion (not just a regular promotion), or a huge successful story you can write/share. Good luck!
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2020, 16:52
BradyMVP wrote:

Male or Female? Currently no savings? Willing to take out loans for an M7 in a year? Not that smart, you got a 750....2x! Biggest bang for buck would appear to be Anderson IMO , But those three questions are important

Hey, thanks for your response. Edited my post to include those details. I'm an Indian Male, with no savings willing to take 100% loan for M7 next year Also undergrad from a reputed university but tier 2 college with good gpa (77.6%~top 10% in university)
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2020, 16:55
ket310 wrote:
I normally side with taking lower ranked school with scholarship in most cases. However, with your goal, I think you have to take the risk to go to Ross over all the other schools. I just don't think you have much of a shot to MBB (and low chance in other strategy consulting) if you go below T15. Even Johnson has very weak consulting representation, despite still being T15 school. Plus, Ross has excellent consulting programs (like MAP). If you just can't give up the money, take Johnson I guess.

I would tell you to take this year's offer rather than reapplying next year unless you see a big jump in GMAT score (+ >30pts, but you already have 750 so not the case) or a huge promotion (not just a regular promotion), or a huge successful story you can write/share. Good luck!

Thanks for your response! I haven't applied to most T15 programs this year. Only to Ross, Yale and Johnson. Yale dinged me, bummer! I want to get into MBB. That's been the dream and I would trade 40K for a 50% shot at MBB.
Alum
V
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Ross/Johnson($40K)/UCLA($60K)/USC($$$$)/UNC ($100k)/Deffered/Next Year  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2020, 17:00
A Ross admit does not guarantee MBB. Numerically speaking, your chances of getting into MBB will be higher at Ross than other schools, but I would say it is not objectively easier. A lot depends on your perseverance, luck and also how much networking success you have had.

If I were in this dilemma I would probably pick Anderson but I am still not sure. I would push Ross had for a scholarship. Even at a $60K you would still be in a $100K debt with which Ross isn't all that different.

I guess I am contradicting my own advice. Go Blue!

Edit: If you wanted to tech, I would run with UCLA and $$$ but consulting is tricky and Ross is probably a safer bet.

Also - update your decision tracker please!
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2020, 17:21
souvik101990 wrote:
A Ross admit does not guarantee MBB. Numerically speaking, your chances of getting into MBB will be higher at Ross than other schools, but I would say it is not objectively easier. A lot depends on your perseverance, luck and also how much networking success you have had.

If I were in this dilemma I would probably pick Anderson but I am still not sure. I would push Ross had for a scholarship. Even at a $60K you would still be in a $100K debt with which Ross isn't all that different.

I guess I am contradicting my own advice. Go Blue!

Edit: If you wanted to tech, I would run with UCLA and $$$ but consulting is tricky and Ross is probably a safer bet.

Also - update your decision tracker please!

Thanks for your response! I'll update my decision tracker soon.

If I were to consider tech, which would be better - Anderson (60K) vs Marshall (Full waiver)? I thought these were peer schools.

If there is a recession, would recruiters prefer recruiting from the top schools or would they pick the best from a wider range of schools?
Alum
V
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2020, 17:37
I would go for Anderson. Marshall is great school but it is hard to beat Anderson with the already fairly-established tech recruiting. Met many Anderson folks at both Apple and Amazon and they reported good numbers.

Marshall would probably get you there too but your "hustle" levels would be a lot higher.
G

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2020, 18:38
[quote="ket310"]

Why wouldn’t you recommend Anderson? I know that Anderson is also a target school for MBBs, so OP should stand a chance at both Ross and Anderson. Anderson is also giving $s.
Just want to hear your rationale for the recommendation.

I would personally think Anderson is a better choice here
BSchool Forum Moderator
S
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GPA: 3.11

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2020, 23:16
If UNC gives you a full ride, they're your best bet. Lots of consulting firms recruit there (albeit not a ton of MBB placements) and make offers, including internships ... and getting one of those would help solidify your plans after graduating.

... however ... if UCLA will get you to a 50% scholarship ... and given your risk profile ... that would become my new #1 (over a full ride at UNC) ...

... UNLESS ...

You could get Ross to match what you've got from UCLA now ... then they'd be my #1 overall.

Ask them all ... be professional ... and good luck!

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3
WE: Operations (Insurance)

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2020, 20:10
The choice here is between Ross and Anderson.

Question for the OP. This is an incredibly missed thought process for MBAs, but possibly because many don't have the proper work experience. But if you want to do tech after consulting, why bother with consulting when you can just go straight to tech? You work fewer hours, less wear and tear from the travel, just as high a salary (you also get RSUs/options), and work experience/brand in an industry that doesn't even see an MBA or consulting as a leg up.

With that said, if you're looking at the immediate post-MBA goals and not long term with a wider network beyond the west coast, I'd go Anderson here. The fact that Google hired 15-19 from Anderson last year is a far outcry from what Ross usually sends to Google, with similar numbers on Amazon and MSFT. Also, VMWare is one of the highest paying outside of FAANG, even if the products may seem "boring." I'd say Google > MBB if you get PM or BizOps, both of which are exit opps MBB who love tech would dream of. 10-15 people to McK/BCG each in 2019 means 20-30 total. Also, I don't understand people's fixation on MBB or bust. Parthenon, LEK, Strategy&, and Deloitte at the right functions get you similar experience.

So if you want half the tuition debt and better shot at PM/BizOps tech roles immediately after school, I'd say Anderson. If you want the marginally better chance at MBB/consulting and value the wide network beyond the West Coast, that'd be Ross. Although Michigan in general beyond the MBA (e.g. BBAs, engineers) also has an insanely big network out here in the Bay. Outside of M7, I see Berkeley, UCLA, Michigan the most of the other schools in SF.
BSchool Forum Moderator
S
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GPA: 3.11

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2020, 20:26
... I still wish the OP would let us know their actual costs ...

The scholarship info is interesting, but not exactly precise. :shrug:
GMAT Club Bot
Ross/Johnson($40K)/UCLA($60K)/USC($$$$)/UNC ($100k)/Deffered/Next Year   [#permalink] 01 May 2020, 20:26

Ross/Johnson($40K)/UCLA($60K)/USC($$$$)/UNC ($100k)/Deffered/Next Year

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate