Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:43 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2427 [18]
Given Kudos: 1131
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 273 [6]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [5]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 772 [2]
Given Kudos: 97
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
Re: In 1980 the United States exported twice as much of its national outpu [#permalink]
Kudos
A , B & E - out - as all of them using they to point the United States - a nation- singular.
D - out - as the in the 2nd part of comparison used wrong verb (has (exported)) wrt the 1st part (exported).
C . Correct .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [3]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: ISB '20 LBS '21
WE:Accounting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: In 1980 the United States exported twice as much of its national outpu [#permalink]
Kudos
sudarshan22 wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 15: Sentence Correction (SC2)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

In 1980 the United States exported twice as much of its national output of goods as they had in 1970.

(A) twice as much of its national output of goods as they had

(B) double the amount of their national output of goods as they did

(C) twice as much of its national output of goods as it did

(D) double the amount of its national output of goods as it has

(E) twice as much of their national output of goods as they had

The best/excellent answers get kudos. There can be no best answer, or a few excellent answers!

The subject in the sentence is United States. At the first glance,we may consider it as plural because of an extra 's'in states however it is singular. Therefore, 'it' is correct usage.
A, B and E eliminated-uses 'they'
The action in 1970 has already occurred before the action done in 1980. Based on this, D is eliminated.
C is the correct answer choice.

+1 Kudos if you find this helpful :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: CBS '21
GMAT 1: 610 Q45 V28
GPA: 3.89
Send PM
Kudos
My answer is C:

In 1980 the United States exported twice as much of its national output of goods as they had in 1970.

>>>United States is singular, "they" is incorrect

>>>United States is singular, "they" is incorrect

>>>Correct Idiom: "as.... as..." + correct use of singular form of pronoun "it"

>>>InCorrect Idiom: "double.... as..." + Incorrect use of pronoun "has"

>>>United States is singular, "their, they" is incorrect
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
sudarshan22 wrote:

The best/excellent answers get kudos. There can be no best answer, or a few excellent answers!

Twice as much as is correct usage, errors in other options highlighted in RED.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1162 [2]
Given Kudos: 228
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.62
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
sudarshan22 wrote:

The pronouns should jump out at us. We used "its" and "they" to refer to the United States. These pronouns refer to the same subject, which can't be both singular and plural. I can't eliminate this one fast enough.

Okay, "their" and "they" are at least both plural. But what is our subject? United States. Is the United States plural or singular? I actually had to think about this longer than I'd like to admit. I already gave a hint by asking "Is the United States...." instead of "Are the United States..." ;)

Also, "double the amount of x as y" is not idiomatic.

"Twice as much x as y." That's a good idiom. So we're cool from an idiomatic perspective.

Pronoun check: "its national output of goods as it did....." "its and it" are both singular and clearly refer to United States. Great!

Our pronouns are in good shape, but our idiom is not.

I like this from an idiomatic perspective, but like we mentioned earlier, our "their" and "they" are not appropriate pronouns.

C is our best answer!

D and E are the next closest!

D has the correct pronouns, but idiomatically incorrect.
E is idiomatically correct, but incorrect pronouns.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools: ISB '25
GMAT 1: 600 Q42 V31
GPA: 2.9/4
Send PM
(A) twice as much of its national output of goods as they had ---> use of they had at the end is incorrect should suggests us exported twice the amount of good it had in 1970

(B) double the amount of their national output of goods as they did ---> Double the amount is incorrect idiomatic usage

(C) twice as much of its national output of goods as it did ---> Idiomatic usage Twice as much x as y is correct use of it and its is correct

(D) double the amount of its national output of goods as it has ---> Idiom error same as B,

(E) twice as much of their national output of goods as they had ---> pronouns error their and they is incorrect usage
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2427 [1]
Given Kudos: 1131
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Kudos
Official Explanation :

Choice A is incorrect because the plural pronoun they does not agree with its singular noun referent, the United States, and because had cannot substitute for exported.

In choice B, double the amount is a less idiomatic form of comparison than twice as much; also, the plural pronouns their and they are incorrect.

Choice C is best: the form of the comparison is idiomatic, the pronouns agree with the noun referent, and did - the simple past tense of do - can substitute for exported.

Choice D contains double the amount as well as has for exported, and

Choice E is faulty because of their and they had.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: IE '22 (A)
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
A, B and E - wrong use of they
D- idiom issue
correct answer - C
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8809 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM

(A) twice as much of its national output of goods as they had - Pronoun issue "they" can't refer to the US

(B) double the amount of their national output of goods as they did - Pronoun issue "they" can't refer to the US ; double the amount is worse that twice as much

(D) double the amount of its national output of goods as it has - tense issue - it has ;

(E) twice as much of their national output of goods as they had - Pronoun issue "they" can't refer to the US

Answer C

As per ellipses, option C becomes as-
In 1980 the United States exported twice as much of its national output of goods as it did (export) in 1970.

But for ellipses, shouldn't the omitted words be present in the first part of the sentence in the same form ? Here, exported and export are not in the same form.

------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------
Ellipsis-
This is a case of ellipsis in comparison. In this, some words omitted from the sentence to make it more concise. Both noun and verb can be omitted. The omitted words should be present in the first part of the sentence in the same form.

-"Siri's AI capabilities are better than Alexa's (AI capabilities). - Correct! ("AI capabilities" is implied)

- Siri is smarter than Alexa (is). - Correct! ("is" is implied)

Siri is smarter than Alexa and Cortana are -- Here we CANNOT omit "are" since the verb in the earlier part is "is"?

Q1-For ellipsis, is it NECESSARY that the omitted words should be present in the first part of the sentence in the same form?

Q2- Also, are there any other rules/exceptions for ellipses other than two listed below.

The omission of a noun for concision is straightforward. Just make sure that the 2 nouns in the sentence can be logically compared. But there are certain exceptions when you are deciding -

1. Tense Shift-
If the verb tense changes from the first to the second half of the sentence, then the verb must not be omitted in the second half.

· You look more beautiful this year than last year. - Incorrect

· You look more beautiful this year than you did last year.- Correct

2. Meaning Ambiguity-
Do not omit the verb if doing so will make the sentence’s meaning ambiguous.

I love my dog more than my friend. - Incorrect -- ambiguity

·I love my dog more than I love my friend.- Correct!
·I love my dog more than my friend does.- Correct!

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasKarishma , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyMurray , ChiranjeevSingh ,ccooley, RonPurewal ,other experts - please enlighten
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 388
GPA: 2.99
Send PM
1/. The USA is a singular noun, so ''they'' (plurial) is incorrect.

2/. The USA exported as much as it did, not it had.

So C is the answer.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: ISB '23 (I)
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 3: 690 Q50 V31
GMAT 4: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 4
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
sudarshan22 wrote:

its and they is discrepant here so incorrect

as seems like used for causal relationship, so wrong.

seems good - as much as construction

has is wrong and also double

Meaning should be it exported x tons of it national output in 1970 and it exported 2x in 1980. but this option conveys it exported 2 times total output it had in 1970. so incorrect.

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1322 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
sudarshan22 wrote:

Main Issue:

1) Pronoun: US is a collective noun, and hence, it is singular.

(A) twice as much of its national output of goods as they had - Wrong: Pronoun 2) Verb. Should use past tense "did" instead of past perfect "had" since only one action happened 1970, an action not related to that of 1980.

(B) double the amount of their national output of goods as they did - Wrong: Pronoun

(C) twice as much of its national output of goods as it did - Correct

(D) double the amount of its national output of goods as it has - Wrong: Verb. Should use past tense "did" instead of present continuous "has" since the action happened in the past.

(E) twice as much of their national output of goods as they had - Wrong: Pronoun 2) Verb. Should use past tense "did" instead of past perfect "had" since only one action happened 1970, an action not related to that of 1980.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM

Subject United States is singular , Hence A, B, E Out . Between C & D , D is using has for something ended long back .
Hence correct Ans is C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
I see C is the correct answer.
But i am puzzled by "of its national output of goods" contruction. why add an"of" before the its national output?
AND
1.Whether I can restructure the sentence as following:
In 1980 the United States exported twice of its national output as much as it did in 1970.
2. is "twice of" in original sentence similar with handreds of/thousands of ?
3. AND I THINK: In 1980 the United States exported twice its national output as much as it did in 1970(&equal to:In 1980 the United States exported twice as much its national output as it did in 1970 ). NO "OF" is 100% correct?

Thanks!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts